• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HENNEKO Author: Anime's Foreign Product Placement to Be Removed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I laughed out loud when I read of the author referring to INFINITE as "a foreign band no one's ever heard of or seen". Yes, clearly no one in Japan has seen or heard of them.

Nice call on that poonk. I wonder how the author miss that and is the author even aware K-pop artists are popular and some have been outdoing J-pop artists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
inspiritkay

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I understand why he's mad about the Infinite poster, but it makes me mad when he puts it like 'A foreign band no one's ever heard of or seen' I mean, I'm guessing Infinite's producers most likely had the producers put that poster of Hoya in this because they wanted to promote Infinite, because Infinite IS a growing band right now in Korea. They're even starting to promote in Japan. Okay, sorry for the rant. I'm a MAJOR MAJOR Infinite fan and seeing this just pissed me off. I mean, I was glad to FINALLY see something Infinite related in anime. And I know Otakus are probably mad, but Kpoppers, especially Inspirits, are really excited to see this. Especially that Infinite is actually branching out into things like anime. I'm proud that there was a poster of Hoya in this.
inspiritkay

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I laughed out loud when I read of the author referring to INFINITE as "a foreign band no one's ever heard of or seen". Yes, clearly no one in Japan has seen or heard of them.

I mean, I'm laughing too, somewhat. But honestly, I can't help it but be upset when someone is rude towards my favorite group ><
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
@inspiritkay: Ever since the hallyu/K-pop explosion that took Japan (and the whole world) by storm, there has been anti-Korean sentiments but then again Japan has been losing to Korea on a international scale, Japan is not exporting J-dramas on a massive level, while South Korea is doing that, in other word Japan is not taking globalization and internationalization seriously like what Korea is doing. J-pop remained in Japan (only quite a few like Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and Perfume have went international and outside of Asia along with J-rock). The K-drama popularity allowed other dramas from Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Mainland China to find audiences outside of Asia, Japan export only a few and I can find more Chinese-language dramas then J-dramas on streaming sites. If Japan keeps falling behind, then mainstream people outside of Asia will remember K-dramas (and other Asian dramas), Girls Generation/SNSD, Super Junior, U-KISS, and Korean culture over EXILE, AKB48, Morning Musume, and other cool Japanese stuff.

To be honest, I always thought EXILE and AKB48 could've gotten the same level of popularity as Super Junior and Girls Generation outside of Asia if Japan had heavily promoted them the same time K-pop was getting big, anime fans are criticizing and asking Japan: Why did Japan not take advantage of the Korean Wave/K-pop explosion to give J-pop a similar breakout?? Now we're seeing more media coverage on K-pop, and that music is now mainstream in Eastern Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, and now is gaining popularity/fanbases in western Europe (Germany, France, Spain, and the UK) and US/Canada (K-pop may conquer UK this year, and US/Canada next year). Even politicians and foreign policy experts acknowledge K-pop popularity. I never seen J-pop getting this same type of achievements K-pop did on a global scale. Maybe the otakus in Japan should answer these questions: why are you mad at K-pop taking over Japan, when J-pop is not getting a worldwide breakout like K-pop did? Why is Girls Generation and Super Junior are more famous worldwide then EXILE and AKB48??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7