• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakuman. (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
In my crazy opinion, Hiramaru might be the best character in this anime. lol
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what we, the audience, are supposed to be thinking here.

I've had the same issue and it was exactly what was preventing me from enjoying the first season too, although I couldn't put my finger on it just then. The show itself is not bad, but its scenario should have never been made as a shounen style manga. I'm pretty sure I'll drop the show after this season. It just doesn't work on a fundamental level.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
I was pretty impressedspoiler[ that TRAP was cancelled tbh. One of the things I enjoy about Bakuman is that despite the aforementioned 'Let's go for it!' ethos, sometimes stuff doesn't work out as planned. it maintains that much credibility despite the shounen premise. If TRAP had gone up in the rankings again and gotten its anime, I probably would have seen that as a cop-out.]

One thing that does annoy me about Bakuman a little bit is the skimming over characters such as Koogy and the new detective novel guy in this episode (I forget the name). It suggests they got some pages in the manga for them to be featured in the anime at all, but yeah, they tend to get all of a minute's screen time, or less. If they're not that central to the plot I'd rather they not be featured at all!
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Okay so again, I felt episode 11 was a pretty strong episode, because it was anticlimactic. We've seen it before, spoiler[the build up to results only for them to be lower than expected. Sure, Future Watch did better than TEN, but I think 9th place can be considered a letdown, since they're serialised authors and all.]

Pretty astute feedback from Eiji as well regarding the appeal of Ashirogi's characters (Or lack thereof). Not sure how the Muira situation is going to resolve itself. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the pacing this season is much, much better. Coming up to the halfway point now, we've covered a lot of ground both in terms of personal and social development (Muira becoming their editor, Masiro and Azuki actually seeing each other, echoes of his uncle's health deteriorating due to manga) and also the manga they're drawing. TRAP was good, but they've got to up their game if they want to beat Eiji.

Really liking Bakuman.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
episode 19.

So, does Miyoshi really not like her parents? Are the parents completely uninterested in their daughter's life?

It's been bugging me since the spoiler[marriage announcement] (that's only a spoiler if you haven't seen the last few episodes), even with the busy schedule of Takagi's, how the hell does he go from middle school to college freshmen without even once ever meeting his serious girlfriend's parents? Where they in cryogenic slumber this entire time? How do these parent's never make a fuss about their girl's boyfriend (it almost seems like they weren't even aware she had a boyfriend, let alone one who'd consider marrying her) or not know the first thing about the mother of who seems to be her only best female friend? Once again, it seems like they've never met Mioho either (considering the family resemblance the father probably should have had a clue of who her mother was).

Really, the entire back-story of how her father connects to everyone is really stretching the bounds of believability.

However I'm really liking the route the Tanto serialization is taking. It's obviously not what they want to do and is bound to fail and lead to something that actually fits their talents but it's great to see how it's progressing. And what will ever happen to Miura after his second gag-based series fails? It seems like he's a bad match for the Shonen staff and needs to move elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Killaclown666

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
hahaha yea I was curious about the lack of boyfriend knowledge to (same in manga) still im loving the season but to much tanto for my tastes.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Just another friendly bump because after finishing episode 20, it occured to me just how much I enjoy Bakuman, and how consistently entertaining it's been for me. It's a show of highs and lows, and this week ended on a tentative high that left me grinning, and not for the first time.

At the end of this season we'll have had 50 episodes. Not once during this time have I gotten bored of what's going on, or lost interest in the characters or plot. I felt that the first season was paced a little slowly but that was quickly remedied for the current season and it's the one show I can rely on to keep my interest every single week. It's credit to the writers (both of the manga and the guys adapting it for anime) that they've been able to keep this standard up over such a protracted period of time.

I don't know what'll happen after this season finishes because I don't know how close we are to catching up with the manga. It may be the case the anime will take a break for a couple of seasons and come back when there's more material to cover. What I do know is that I'm in this for the long haul and loving every minute of it.
Yupa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree, I also look forward to watching Bakuman every week. It's still one of my weekly favorites. spoiler[I thought the Tanto story arc wasn't as good as the first arc of this season, but fortunately that has ended now. Episode 20 was very good, I'm looking forward to what Ashirogi can come up with next.]

IIRC there will be a third season in Fall. It's a pity they keep skipping two seasons every year, there's more than enough manga material to work with. After a quick read on Wikipedia I think we're around volume 8 now, there are already 16 volumes out so that would be enough for another 50 episodes.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
While I'm glad they're done with spoiler[Tanto] I don't really like the wayspoiler[ they just quit]. I guess it makes things dramatic tospoiler[ have this self-made ultimatum hanging over their heads] but I've always appreciated some of the pragmatic approaches this show has taken too, and this goes against that. spoiler[They've shown they can multi-task before, why not work on a new story idea while still working on Tanto? Instead of just quitting it, why not do something that is apparently unique to a shortened Shonen story and allow a resolution to the story? Don't quit it, end it. It would show they can write a conclusion and it gives them time to think about what to do next.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Volibear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Yupa wrote:
IIRC there will be a third season in Fall. It's a pity they keep skipping two seasons every year, there's more than enough manga material to work with. After a quick read on Wikipedia I think we're around volume 8 now, there are already 16 volumes out so that would be enough for another 50 episodes.
its a case of would you rather they produce weekly episodes and catch up sooner then either stop making episodes or start producing filler or only have 25 episodes/year but have it for a sustained period of time where there's no filler or anime-only ending

personally i enjoy this current format of 2 seasons on, 2 seasons off, it keeps it from wearing too thin over time like some other series that are produced continously do and we don't have to suffer any non-manga material, i'm suprised other series don't follow the format more often
Yupa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
I guess you're right. I'm not familiar with filler because I don't watch other shounen series, so I don't know how bad that is.
But I notice it's getting more of a trend to skip seasons. Some other examples are Fate/Zero and Rinne no Lagrange.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
Yupa wrote:
its a case of would you rather they produce weekly episodes and catch up sooner then either stop making episodes or start producing filler or only have 25 episodes/year but have it for a sustained period of time where there's no filler or anime-only ending

personally i enjoy this current format of 2 seasons on, 2 seasons off, it keeps it from wearing too thin over time like some other series that are produced continously do and we don't have to suffer any non-manga material, i'm suprised other series don't follow the format more often

yeah, there is no filler for bakuman, which is cool. And they put everything on the manga in the anime. I wish they would skip some stuffs, but it's ok i guess. I think they are going to time it, so the anime will end at around the sametime as the manga.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait until spoiler[Hattori becomes their editor again] (not a spoiler if you're up to date with the manga) I think this arc with Miura is the weakest of the series so far.

What do you all think of Iwase? She's probably my least favourite character in the series, as her reasons for wanting to be better than Takagi are so shallow and pathetic. Her arrogance really annoys me as well. I used to not like Aoki either, but she's grown on me.
Volibear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I can't wait until spoiler[Hattori becomes their editor again] (not a spoiler if you're up to date with the manga) I think this arc with Miura is the weakest of the series so far.

What do you all think of Iwase? She's probably my least favourite character in the series, as her reasons for wanting to be better than Takagi are so shallow and pathetic. Her arrogance really annoys me as well. I used to not like Aoki either, but she's grown on me.
i think the Muira arcs are important to the story on the whole though, having an editor that knows alot about 1 genre can be useful but clearly not if that isn't your genre, its a period of the series devoted to showing how editor and author need to be on the same page it terms of direction of a publication or new idea and 100% commited to that direction otherwise the results will be poor (Tanto one-shot) or short lived (Takagi with lack of ideas with Tanto's serialisation), how nothing good can come from such a relationship

i agree though that it isn't the most captivating period of the series, but i feel it was necessary to have such a arc to set up future arcs, show a different kind of mangaka-editor relationship and generally bulk out the series abit, if Mashiro and Takagi just went into another hit after Trap then the series wouldn't be as long or as good, since part of the appeal of Bakuman is the way it shows all the aspects of being a mangaka, if the series didn't show any period of hard times where they weren't being successful then it wouldnt be that

As for Iwase, totally agree, very unlikeable character but i believe thats probably by design, i can't see why we'd want to like a stuck-up high achiever who looks down on everyone else and tries to force people into doing things they don't want to just for herself

i think Aoki was a less-potent version of Iwase early on, kinda stuck-up but not massively and would just ignore you if she didn't have a reason to not to, but lately they mellowed her out, brought forth the other side of her they hinted at early on - a nice character development since with Iwase back in the frame making Aoki a more likeable character works well because there is still 1 unlikeable character, a character shows some development and growth and the series remains balanced in the sense that its better when there is only 1 properly unlikeable character at a time, any more and people just rage about how all the characters are annoying or unlikeable

also, thank you for reading the most boring post on this thread, re-reading it i didn't realise how boringly analytical what i was typing was
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
i agree though that it isn't the most captivating period of the series, but i feel it was necessary to have such a arc to set up future arcs, show a different kind of mangaka-editor relationship and generally bulk out the series abit, if Mashiro and Takagi just went into another hit after Trap then the series wouldn't be as long or as good, since part of the appeal of Bakuman is the way it shows all the aspects of being a mangaka, if the series didn't show any period of hard times where they weren't being successful then it wouldnt be that

Totally agree with this. I appreciate the fact that they're being more 'realistic' by showing that it isn't all sunshine and rainbows all the time. It's definitely a show of peaks and troughs but that's why I enjoy it so much; there's very little middle-of-the-road material in terms of story progression.

At the risk of stating the completely frikkin' obvious, it's been (painfully) evident this arc that Muira isn't a good fit for them, with him being the 'funny' guy and everything. I was disappointed he let Business Boy Kenichi fall by the wayside, that's just poor effort on his part. I have mixed feelings about Muira in general. He obviously means well, but he's naive to a fault and his inexperience means he makes a lot of mistakes and doesn't seem to know how to utilise the talent of Ashirogi properly. I find it hard to resent him though, because he IS earnest in his endeavours. At the same time, Ashirogi are also learning a lot of this stuff for the first time and working outside their comfort zone. In that respect, they riff of each other quite well but they definitely would have benefited from having an experienced head guiding them whilst they were dabbling with unfamiliar genres.

I probably should spoiler some of that, I don't know if I've given anything away there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13