• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood ep1 Cool just watched it to check out the blue ray quality~ it's stunning~ I could definitely see the difference :M but then again i can tell the difference between HD American cartoons like Johnny Test and regular def. >3> Sometimes i watch West coast Cartoon network when East coast HD is playing crap...

But watching it also made me remember why I hate Funimation DVD/Blueray's they always have un-skippable Advertisements at the beggining. It kinda of pisses me off, it's like i payed for this i shouldn't have to sit through an AD every time i put the Disc in my player.

Saint Tail ep i think 9-12? maybe? it was the Spring Love DVD. It was a nice nostalgia trip. I love the manga, and the anime was really enjoyable. It's a shame that the Ending song and Opening song look so nice and then the actually anime part is not nearly as nice looking. :>
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
One Piece: 1-8

I was curious about finally confirming whether or not this lived up to all the hype and...so far I can't say that it does, all things considered, but I'm actually not disappointed either.

You could say I was entertained and fairly intrigued.

It's obviously an action adventure series meant for a younger audience, no question about it, but that doesn't meant it's poorly made. In fact, quite the opposite. The soundtrack is great, the visuals are adequate and the script isn't brilliant but not too bad either. I particularly liked the fact it's managed to establish a premise that is both open-ended and has a sense of direction. While Luffy and his crew may go through a ridiculously long series of adventures before getting there, the goal is crystal clear and is fittingly ambitious. Provided that things do keep moving, there's more than enough flexibility for both the original author and the anime production staff. I expect filler, sure, but hopefully it's not going to be punishingly bad.

Speaking of the characters, they're pretty good too. Luffy doesn't think things through and takes a lot of stuff at face value, but for some reason he doesn't come across as glaringly thickheaded as Goku did and scores more sympathy points instead. It's like they intentionally decided to refine the same concept a little bit. Just as well, Nami reminds me a little too much of a slightly edgier version of Bulma from Dragon Ball Z, but at least she seems to have a better -if currently unspecified- motivation for wanting all that money. Zoro is a fairly respectable badass in his own right, yes, though I was a little amused by how quickly he seems to have adapted to his new situation as opposed to remaining a bit antagonistic.

As far as the villains go, the first two contenders weren't anything to write home about but Buggy managed to be both inherently hilarious and occasionally threatening. I wouldn't want to see him all the time, no, but as the first real opponent he served his purpose. His wacky circus minions seemed to reflect that as well. As long as you don't take them too seriously in the first place, the fights can be relatively exciting.

Overall, nothing earth-shattering but still perfectly watchable...so I'll try to make my own way through, just without hurrying to finish over 400 episodes or what have you. Laughing
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
Have Cross Game on shuffle.
Def has made my top 5 anime, and its totally out of my usual genres of anime I like, the chars are so great though, and its able to tug at your heartstrings better then any other anime.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Naruto be back. Did anyone notice just how narutard Naruto looked during the last episode? Oh, man. Either way, I'm happy as long as they don't resort to fillers again any soon.
I believe it's been about 3 months? Either way, it was a nice break.

Halfway through Tokyo Magnitude 8.1. It's better than I expected. The production values are better than I heard... but perhaps it's meant to get worse later on, as the budget runs out?

Next up: Darker Than Black re-watch. Maybe. I need to see Amber... and Nick... and November 11. Hmm.

Quote:
As far as the villains go, the first two contenders weren't anything to write home about but Buggy managed to be both inherently hilarious and occasionally threatening.

The villains get better later on... although they'll never be the series' forte. Starting with Usopp's arc.
One Piece's fillers are generally pretty good, so I wouldn't worry about it.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Stalling the series on my list a few pages back. Decided to watch Amagami SS and Yosuga no Sora instead.

Amagami SS is pretty enjoyable so far, I'm loving the girls (I'm up to ep 12.) It's an interesting series, by giving each girl a separate arc, rather than a harem route. I would like a harem route though Anime hyper.
I ought to watch KimiKiss Pure Rogue when I finish this.

Yosuga No Sora, oh boy. I thought I was mentally prepared for this since it seemed it would be School Days in the ecchi scenes.... But it made speechless. I was not prepared, even with mental exercise, spoilers, and stuff. I didn't it expect it to be the H-scenes to be like that. My face was twitching when I saw the scenes, and I decided to not continue with it any longer.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
You're not continuing Yosuga no Sora because they have explicit sex? Come on now, it gets a lot better later on. Mainly when he starts doing his sister.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Finished Baccano! and I feel a bit empty inside. After the middle episodes that did not really enjoy, the last four were really fantastic.

I hope Basilisk will be just as good.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Re-watching some of the old classic action movies that got me into anime in the first place.

I'm really quite impressed by Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. I remembered it being good but it's actually quite fantastic. Gorgeous art design and a truly outstanding soundtrack.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Re-watched Only Yesterday only yesteday Wink, partly because I wanted to re-familiarise myself with it so I could put a comment in "My Anime", and partly because of Justin Sevakis rating it as his favourite anime of all time in a recent ANN broadcast.

It's probably the best Isao Takahata film I've seen. I rate it as very good. It can be a bit slow and it's not the sort of anime that cries out for re-watching, even though I enjoyed it more this time around. And it's such a tonic to watch an anime with adult characters. One does get tired of high school students.

As with any Takahata film there are many entrancing visual moments but, best of all, the ending is brilliant. Not the resolution of the relationship between the main female and male characters, that's standard romantic fare, but how Taeko's decision is shown on screen - all the children from her past, including her younger self, running and prancing around her, encouraging her to make the right decision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

Well then prepare to be disappointed. It's much better, and thank goodness it is.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Finished Ayashi no Ceres. Ugh. Romance can be so suffocating sometimes. The anime got far more interesting at the end, but overall it just enjoyed slaughtering its cast... it kinda reminded me of Saikano on that aspect. I can't even be happy for the remaining characters, so it's hard to tell whether it's a happy or sad ending.

Next: Wandering Son. And then I'll probably start a re-watch of Death Note or something, since I'll be awake for the whole night... been a while since I've slept 14 hours. Laughing
Oh. Can't forget about Tokyo Magnesium.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

Well then prepare to be disappointed. It's much better, and thank goodness it is.

Seconded. Mind you, I'm not a Baccano! fan whereas I did enjoy Basilisk, so ymmv.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
What about those of us who enjoyed both of them?

They really have almost nothing in common though, starting from the radically different setting and premise. Still, I agree that Basilisk was quite entertaining...in a more straightforward but also more predictable fashion than Baccano! You have some good dramatic moments, characterization and action sequences along the way as well as nice production values overall, but outside of a couple of twists it's very easy to guess how the show is going to develop by simply describing what it is about.

One might say what the series lacks in terms of originality is compensated by the quality of its execution.

That said...liking lots of crazy abilities and violent ninja moves is, of course, a plus.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

Seconded. Mind you, I'm not a Baccano! fan whereas I did enjoy Basilisk, so ymmv.
Combo breaking time. The only thing you're gonna be disappointed about when watching Basilisk, U_B, is how much better Baccano! is in comparison. Basilisk really isn't anything special, especially when put up against something as great as Baccano!.

Blood- wrote:
Fair enough, my good man, fair enough! God knows that if I insisted on complex, well-rounded characters to enjoy a series, I'd be pretty screwed myself.

*goes off to enjoy a heaping helping of Freezing*
Right on. Cool

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:49 am; edited 2 times in total
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
FMA :B

[EDIT: Some form of elaboration is required. Any future unsubstantial posts of this nature will be removed. - Key]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 561 of 1062