• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I wanna be an anime director... but I'm American.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Uh...guys? Yeah, this was two years ago. I don't think that guy even comes around much any more. It's all well and nice to want to help, but I feel necros like this are somewhat futile and pointless.
Agito∞

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Forgive the revival.

I also have the same predicament. I want to also direct anime, I was thinking of starting a company in America, but most of my ideas would be better in the Japanese market. (My biggest dream is to direct a Gundam series.) But anyways, I'm not sure where to start either. I/m a Sophomore in America and is Half-Asian. (People tend to mistake me for a Japanese sometimes.) And I have a relative in Japan, but I never met her. I want to work from a film school, or start a company, but I don't like maintaining finances (Or math in general.) And Math is my biggest problem. Anyways, could I just pose as some Japanese and get in easily? Or can I pull a Death Note and become the story writer while a friend does all the art. (A friend of mine considered this. He goes to Japan twice a year and has many friends there.) Also, does anyone know if Sunrise hires foreigners?
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
@zgripţuroicǎ
Well pretty sure u noticed by now, but because of the rules, you can’t start identical threads. Idc, but some people find necro posting annoying and it is because of two things:

1. Like you’ve said, the thread starter is gone (meaning no purpose)
2. People get very anal about it. For real. They do. It’s kind of funny too.

@ Agito∞
A list of things you should do:

1. If you’re in high school, wait until after college before you decide what you want to do

2. Um be brave. Share your ideas on this forum or on another forum and let people criticize them. Better now than later when it counts. There are good ideas and there are polished ideas.

3. Because people are dicks, patent your ideas. Fairly cheap to do. Get in the habit of doing that because people will screw you over and take your ideas. Why do you think patents exists people? They exist because we know people are dicks.

4. You won’t know where your ideas are best suited unless you put them in to action and market test them. Thinkers and go-getters

5. Learn Japanese. Just put that in for kicks, but yeah

6. Learn about the atmosphere of Japanese corporations in general, because you may not like it. It’s structured very differently from American Corporations and you may ethically disagree about some things. You will, because culturally speaking, you were brought up to be an American, not Japanese.

7. Anywhere in life, you need to show that you are serious, which apparently you are not. You say the words want a lot. People don’t care about what you want. They care about what you have done. If you are not in a film school, join film clubs(look good if you were the leader), learn about films, take graphic designing idk, make a movie, do something meaningful that shows anime is what you want to do for the rest of your life. People are not going to hire you if you give off the impression that you’re just doing it because anime is a hobby.

8. Uh, no you can’t just start at the top. In most businesses, including anime, you are going to start from the bottom and you are going to have to work your way to the top. Yes, some people start off higher than others, but even those people go through this. You my friend, if you even get in, will be at the very bottom since you have done nothing.

9. Based upon your last part, “your friend".......the answer is yes. If your friend is a reliable resource, he’s the backdoor for you. However, if you have not done anything I’ve mentioned above, don’t expect to stay their too long. Sunrise is not going to keep an employee who does not know how to do his job.

10. Look at your competition who have already done some of the things I’ve mentioned, see where you are, and build up you resume.

11. Is it tough? Yes, but don’t give up. The sense of accomplishment is rewarding enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6