• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma 1/2 Manga Gets New Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:43 am Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:

What else pre 2000s is left for a remake?

Original Gundam?

Already done that:
- The Origin (+ OAV)
- Cocalus' Island.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:59 am Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:

Original Gundam?

It's not based on a Rumiko Takahashi manga but one 1980s anime that bears at least a passing resemblance to some Rumiko Takahashi anime adaptations, especially considering that Akemi Takada did the anime character designs for it, is Kimagure Orange Road which I think is a prime candidate for a remake if the 1980s remake trend continues.

Give a Kimagure Orange Road remake a synthwave soundtrack and I think it would find an audience (especially considering that several of the Kimagure Orange Road songs like "Natsu no Mirage" and "Orange Mystery" were synth-heavy new wave-ish citypop songs to begin with).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:11 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Give a Kimagure Orange Road remake a synthwave soundtrack and I think it would find an audience (especially considering that several of the Kimagure Orange Road songs like "Natsu no Mirage" and "Orange Mystery" were synth-heavy new wave-ish citypop songs to begin with).

That would be awesome. I wonder if KOR is popular to get a remake green-lit, though.
Brack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:03 am Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:

Original Gundam?

Touch, but as Adachi essentially remakes this periodically, actual remake is unnecessary, so you just adapt his latest manga.

Star of the Giants, other major Ikki Kajiwara manga have had 21st century iterations, genuinely odd this has not had the treatment. Even if it's a Megalobox-style SF homage.

Candy Candy, the creators sue each other whenever one makes a move with this title.

Last edited by Brack on Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:44 am Reply with quote
Brack wrote:

Candy Candy, Toei won't do anything to do with this beloved series seemingly out of spite towards Kyoko Mizuki & Yumiko Igarashi.

Didn't Mizuki and Igarashi have a falling out, which left the rights to the series in limbo?
Brack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:09 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Didn't Mizuki and Igarashi have a falling out, which left the rights to the series in limbo?

Yeah looking at it again it looks like everyone keeps suing each other whenever someone tries to do something with it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:22 am Reply with quote
Not really popular, but since it has Ranma and Isekai elements, maybe they could reboot Maze?
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:23 am Reply with quote
I'm personally quite skeptical. Modern anime seems to prioritise shorter seasons (or cours I guess) and they'll just skip over most chapters which aren't of much relevance to the story. I don't really like that when it comes to Rumiko Takahashi's works as they're made to be episodic and spend some wacky adventures with the characters.
I'd love to be wrong, but at this moment and as a fan, I'm unfortunately not very excited.

I didn't like the Urusei Yatsura remake, though I am happy it garnered new fans. Let's hope for the best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:27 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I'm personally quite skeptical. Modern anime seems to prioritise shorter seasons (or cours I guess) and they'll just skip over most chapters which aren't of much relevance to the story. I don't really like that when it comes to Rumiko Takahashi's works as they're made to be episodic and spend some wacky adventures with the characters.

Let’s be fair here some of those chapters especially the multi part ones could stand to be excised due to how useless or not good they were.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:36 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:

Let’s be fair here some of those chapters especially the multi part ones could stand to be excised due to how useless or not good they were.
It's been too long since I've read the manga, but some chapters can be skipped, sure. I'm just afraid they'll skip too much because they'd 'want to get a move on' which is not a good mindset for any Rumiko series. Of course it's just speculation on my end, but that's the vibe I got from the new Urusei Yatsura.

Last edited by thekingsdinner on Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:51 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Honestly that’s not even the worse trope this series had despite how dated and doubled standard it is.

It commits the sin of having a premise that encompasses the entire series with ZERO payoff in addition to throwing in superfluous fakeouts.

Akane’s not going wind up with Ryoga or Tatewaki

Ranma’s not going wind up with Ukyo, Shampoo, Kodachi, Tatewaki, or Nabiki

THIS, I watched all of Ranma and basically wanted all of these things to happen so when I realized the joke was it never would I’ve never been able to look back in this show fondly, I understand at least part of that is on me, and another part of that is likely more on the anime overdoing jokes that weren’t meant to be as egregious in the manga, so MAYBE this remake being more faithful will better warm me up to the material, but the frustration I have with Ranma will likely never go away.
Amritzer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:56 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

It's not based on a Rumiko Takahashi manga
I mean, it doesn't necessarily need to even be similar to Rumiko's manga, but in general.

Myself, I think that Toei will restart Dragon Ball with new generation of seiyu after Daima.

Some believe that upcoming Macross anime done by Sunrise will be remake of original series.

Other than that...

Yu Yu Hakusho?
Something by Clamp?
Slayers? (I think Naomi Oozora could be great Lina.)
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:23 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, Ranma ½, alongside other series like Dragon Ball and Pokémon, was one the first anime I watched as a kid in the late '90s, and yeah, Ranma was aired, albeit with some mild censorship, in some kid-oriented networks in Latin America. I just hope that, unlike the Urusei Yatsura remake, some distributor can bring this show to Latin America and if the original dub cast can reprise their roles, the majority of them are still very active, only Shampoo and Genma VAs passed away years ago, I would hate if we got a Yashahime situation where none of the Inuyasha's voice cast managed to reprise their roles for the LA Spanish dub, because they change the country where the dub was made from Mexico to Argentina
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:35 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
The modern internet Discourse around Happosai is gonna be glorious, and I'm all for it.

I don't think Happosai is going to generate as much controversy as the gender stuff will be, personally. I remember the Yashahime showrunners getting death threats for the episode with the okama and there was some controversy in Urusei Yatsura with Nagisa and Ryunosuke. Rumiko's Takahashi's works tend to get a lot of hate for that kind of stuff in the west.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:

Original Gundam?

There's tons of stuff, but of course there still has to be enough interest. You could probably gage that by the amount of merch the Japanese still produce for some titles.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if someone gave Dirty Pair another go, since that title has proven that it can survive substantial changes in style of adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11