• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Episode "5.5"

Really is just a recap of this season and also the 0 film. Oh well. Next week will likely be a recap of all of Season 1. So the preview shots we saw at the end of last episode will be the next new episode at the end of the month.

Is Crunchyroll not releasing the recaps? That seems odd to me, considering they usually do... I could have used an abbreviated version of 0 and season 1 as a reminder of what happened.
MuddyYoshi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:40 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
Episode "5.5"

Really is just a recap of this season and also the 0 film. Oh well. Next week will likely be a recap of all of Season 1. So the preview shots we saw at the end of last episode will be the next new episode at the end of the month.

Is Crunchyroll not releasing the recaps? That seems odd to me, considering they usually do... I could have used an abbreviated version of 0 and season 1 as a reminder of what happened.

Doesn’t seem like it. I hear Netflix isn’t airing them in the regions they stream JJK either. I dunno why they wouldn’t, but it’s also entirely possible Toho just didn’t provide it.

I don’t remember seeing any info on whether the recaps count towards the 23 episode count of this season, but if they don’t (and I bet they don’t since not all platforms got them),
I’m curious to see how ANN handles the discrepancy with episode numbers this causes.

If the recaps are counted as episodes 30 and 31 on this site, what happens when episode 30 airs on the 31st? I’m sure this is something that’s been dealt with here before, but I just wasn’t around here yet for it.
db999

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:40 pm Reply with quote
MuddyYoshi wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
Episode "5.5"

Doesn’t seem like it. I hear Netflix isn’t airing them in the regions they stream JJK either. I dunno why they wouldn’t, but it’s also entirely possible Toho just didn’t provide it.

I don’t remember seeing any info on whether the recaps count towards the 23 episode count of this season, but if they don’t (and I bet they don’t since not all platforms got them),
I’m curious to see how ANN handles the discrepancy with episode numbers this causes.

If the recaps are counted as episodes 30 and 31 on this site, what happens when episode 30 airs on the 31st? I’m sure this is something that’s been dealt with here before, but I just wasn’t around here yet for it.

I don't have a link but I read, I think in an article on this site, that the Shibuya arc, which is next, is slated for 17 episodes starting at the End of August so I don't think the recap episodes count towards the episode count.
db999

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:46 pm Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
EDIT: Separately, I was disappointed that the latest episode included the bit about 'Tengen-sama' being stable. Honestly thought it worked way better thematically, at least given my read of the story and atmosphere/character motivations to date, if Gojo's lone and primary failure had led directly to the collapse of the sorcery world's primary structural pillar, leaving all the responsibility basically directly on him.

See I think of it differently. The explanation about Tengen being fine is another knife twist that convinces Geto that the non-sorcerers need to die. She’s essentially telling him that their mission was completely pointless and never needed to happen. So everything they went through to keep Amanai safe, the bonding they went through with her, his crushing defeat by Toji, and all of the turmoil he’s feeling, he never needed to go through. So it’s another thing that convinces Geto to go through with his plan.

To further explain and elaborate on my thoughts about this, it’s yet another example of how the sorcerers pointlessly sacrifice themselves, in Geto’s mind because they’re never shown gratitude. Everything they did on their mission that cost them greatly is pointless because as it turns out, Tengen is just fine cause there was either another star vessel alive or another one was born. Their sacrifice was pointless, Gojo nearly dying, Geto nearly dying, them getting close to Amanai, Amanai dying, them grieving Amanai, all pointless. They could’ve just not gotten involved, they could’ve refused to do the job and just sat at home twiddling their thumbs, let the assassins kill Amanai, and everything would’ve been fine and nothing would be different except they wouldn’t have gone through all that pain and anguish. Then Haibara dies because the humans there were worshipping the cursed spirit as a God, and then he sees that village locking up and asking for the deaths of 2 little girls, and now he has a reason to kill them other than just revenge so he does it.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:06 am Reply with quote
ShadowC0N1012 wrote:
I was reading the comments about this recent ep, and it reminds me of how people felt during the ending of GoT lol. I personally enjoyed it, but plenty of folks were saying, "it was rushed," and "we should've seen more of Dany's spiral!"

Lmao well this wasn’t anywhere near that bad but uhh, that final GoT season literally annihilated any and all cultural pull and relevance that show had built over a decade up to that point, and stuff like Harry Potter continues to be relevant even though the author is how she is these days. That was a heck of an effort, so I’d say, good for you that you enjoyed it, but I’m sure you must’ve at least understood the problems people had with it, and the ramifications of it all ahaha.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Interesting way to wrap up the mole subplot. It was never given that much narrative focus so it wasn't a big letdown when the culprit was just casually dropped on us with no buildup. "Yeah, we looked into it and it was the robot guy." But what was a surprise was that Mechamaru isn't a real traitor, instead he's an opportunist who's only on his own side. So his plan was "betray the good guys, get the bad guys to heal me, then immediately betray the bad guys and ask the good guys for asylum." That's super risky, at best! Even if he survives, he's now got exactly everyone in the Jujutsu world mad at him. Something tells me this kid just dug his own grave, but we'll see if he can weasel out of it next week (blasting someone with a giant mecha cannon is a valid form of weaseling.)

The best part of the episode was the first half, though, reintroducing us to the main gang via a nice little slice of life escapade. A lot of things about that story pleasantly surprised me, like how fully they committed to summarizing the whole Wormo Man movie. Yuko is a great supporting character and I hope she gets to be more than tragic backstory fodder.

Her line, "I've been living by the same standards as people I hate" was so damn powerful. There's a whole lifetime of frustration implied by that moment.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
But what was a surprise was that Mechamaru isn't a real traitor, instead he's an opportunist who's only on his own side. So his plan was "betray the good guys, get the bad guys to heal me, then immediately betray the bad guys and ask the good guys for asylum." That's super risky, at best!

I think the deal was originally "Heal my body and I'll give you information, just leave my Kyoto friends out of any crossfire". Which Hanami promptly broke when they attacked everyone during the training exercise.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
(blasting someone with a giant mecha cannon is a valid form of weaseling.)

This feels like some as-yet unconstituted article of anime law.

Wyvern wrote:
The best part of the episode was the first half, though, reintroducing us to the main gang via a nice little slice of life escapade. A lot of things about that story pleasantly surprised me, like how fully they committed to summarizing the whole Wormo Man movie. Yuko is a great supporting character and I hope she gets to be more than tragic backstory fodder.

I was actually kind of blown away at how well-written her brief character piece seemed to be.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Glad the show is back and superb! Dat ping pong...

First, my usual groan about breaking character models too absurdly for "comedy", it doesn't need to go as far as it does, and I hate it, the humor works well enough without having to go that route... Ugh... Terrible decision all around...

Now the best part of this episode are the themes within themes of love and body horror/perception.

First Wormo Man and his transformation into a horrid half human/worm creature and the discomforting romanctic arc in it, cue The Fly, Shape of Water etc.

Then Yuko Ozawa, in love with Yuji, but conscious of her weight, now suspiciously more attractive in the span of 6 months? Impressive, but I smell Mahito Idle Transformation schenanegans where it's possible he made a deal with Yuko to get back at Yuji.

And speaking of Mahito, Mechamaru took advantage of the opportunity to fix his disfigured, amputated body. And one of his motivations is his crush on Miwa, previously hinted at in Juju Strolls (I miss those, but seems that this arc wants to maintain seriousness at every episode's end).

Anyway, a chef's kiss for the thematic resonance at work here. Looking forward to seeing what's behind the hype for this arc, and I'm already impressed!
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
On the other hand, I think the story could benefit from adding a couple of civilians to the roster of supporting characters, especially if this upcoming storyline is set to pop off as much as manga readers have been telling me for the past few months.

On the contrary. Get them the fudge away, for their own good. lmao
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:56 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Then Yuko Ozawa, in love with Yuji, but conscious of her weight, now suspiciously more attractive in the span of 6 months? Impressive, but I smell Mahito Idle Transformation schenanegans where it's possible he made a deal with Yuko to get back at Yuji.

Just going to go ahead and say spoiler[no, absolutely not.]
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Very good episode overall; I'm not someone who needs/wants anime-only additions or filler, but it was somewhat necessary here since they used this episode to finish up the plot thread from last week while getting the final bits of set-up ready for the rest of the arc-proper.

Very different animation style going on in this one and was noticeable right away in the cold-open, to mixed effect(at least for me). A couple of the sequences during the anime-extended fight between Mechamaru and Mahito stand out in particular: the VERY cool chase where we follow behind Mahito as he changes into multiple animals, and the less cool-but-still-cool-looking final clash inside the cockpit. The animation is messy and kinetic, and reminds me of that "Madara VS Shinobi Alliance" sequence from Naruto Shippuden ep 322. However, outside of these sequences I found the style to look....kind of bad semi-often? Characters look janky and off-model; during the latter half of the episode most of the civilian partiers(even the speaking ones based on their manga counterparts) look like they're from a completely different series. I can't recall if season 1 had any "bad" episodes as far animation goes, but this one is definitely the lowest of this season so far(again, aside from those action sequences). And even then, it's more a mixed bag of interesting, weird, and "huh?", rather than "this looks like dogshit". I love animation getting experimental, but this one was a little jarring following the previous 6 episodes of the season.

8/10
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:43 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I really don't care about Mechamaru. Had Mappa chosen to to expand his screen time rather than show us that random three amigos moments from last week I would care about the guy. Also, his crush kinda came out of nowhere and even didn't fit because the blue haired girl was more into Gojo last season.

By the way, the narrator is Haman Karn!
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I was more thinking about Gurren Lagann instead of Evangelion. Gurren Lagann spoilers:spoiler[That last fight sequence was probably a reference to final moment of the last battle where Simon was fighting the Anti-Spiral. Also, those pencil sketches made me think of the series too.]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I like how Kokichi's trump card against Mahito is Miwa's technique. It's a very cute and charming touch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 58