• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan The Final Season

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I feel stupid that I never realized who the hobo was. That moment legit landed for me coz I was shocked by the reveal.

I feel a little stupid for not realizing, but at the same time kinda glad coz i got a real shock Smile
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:19 pm Reply with quote
So I haven't seen or had anything to do with some since the last season ended, at first I hoped I would be able to recollect what happened as the episodes go on, but I'm still a little lost. I know this is another part of the AOT world, but is it set in the past, present or future. I don't want to start looking up Wikis encase it contains some major spoilers. So does anyone have a guide to help with a recap.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Lots of setting up in this episode, but thankfully it's all intriguing stuff balanced with some lighthearted and fun character moments courtesy of the Warrior kids, who continue to be a joy to watch. We even saw Reiner smiling! So of course that had to be corrected by the end of the episode Laughing

Grandpa Jaeger's mental breakdown was haunting and nicely done, and I'm glad they were able to sneak that little Pieck moment into the episode. It's one of those gags that make you chuckle at first until reality sinks in and you realise how sad it actually is.

James Beckett wrote:
I will admit that I am a little shaky on how secret or expansive the Tyburs' role in Marley's operations is meant to be, but I don't know how much I appreciate the notion that a secret cabal of “Eldians” is steering the direction of this society from the shadows

Yeah. If we look at the show solely as a document separate from any kind of context, Willy and the Tyburs are an intriguing and interesting addition to the world of Attack on Titan. But since it's kinda impossible not to think about context while watching this season, it's also impossible not to be reminded of well-known antisemitism conspiracy theories about Jewish people secretly controlling the government.

You're walking on thin ice, AoT!

MarshalBanana wrote:
I know this is another part of the AOT world, but is it set in the past, present or future.

It's set in the future, four years after the events from season 3.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The fact that every other nation in the world also harbors the same hatred of the Eldians makes me wonder if there is more truth to the Eldians' dark past than the Edlian Restorationists are willing to admit, or if the show is playing on how a good many cultures in our own world have been all too eager to jump on the bandwagon of anti-Semitism and other such bigotries, so long as it suits them. You're playing with fire, AoT!

I think their hatred comes more from the fact that the Marleyans have been using the Eldians in the wars against them
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So I haven't seen or had anything to do with some since the last season ended, at first I hoped I would be able to recollect what happened as the episodes go on, but I'm still a little lost. I know this is another part of the AOT world, but is it set in the past, present or future. I don't want to start looking up Wikis encase it contains some major spoilers. So does anyone have a guide to help with a recap.

This video seems alright https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw3QgwHQfzA there's even a top comment with timestamps for each episode. I would recomend though that you watch this in incognito mode so that later youtube won't recomend you other similar videos that might contain spoiles. Also, don't look at the recomended videos on the right side. There's lots of spoilers in those thumbnails
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:18 pm Reply with quote
[quote="7777ale7777"]
Quote:
I think their hatred comes more from the fact that the Marleyans have been using the Eldians in the wars against them

Well, it's that, but its also that, as per "That Day", Eldians had subjugated many a race of people, not just Marleyans. Subjects of Ymir in other countries aren't under Marleyan rule, so its less a fear of them being used as bio-weapons and more just a general distain for the Eldian race because of what their ancestors did a hundred plus years ago.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Another thing that I am eager to see clarified is the true nature of the era of Eldian “rule” over society. When we got Grisha's big flashbacks in Season 3, the story of the Eldians' horrifying domination over society was presented as Marleyan propaganda, twisting the truth to justify the empire's present-day crimes. The fact that every other nation in the world also harbors the same hatred of the Eldians makes me wonder if there is more truth to the Eldians' dark past than the Edlian Restorationists are willing to admit, or if the show is playing on how a good many cultures in our own world have been all too eager to jump on the bandwagon of anti-Semitism and other such bigotries, so long as it suits them. You're playing with fire, AoT!

We are presented with 2 past for Ymir, in one she was a savior and in the other she was a conqueror.

Kruger actually references this when talking to Grisha: "There is no such thing as truth in this world. That is our reality. Anyone can become a God or a Devil. All it takes is for someone to claim that to be the truth."

Thus, as far as we know is perfectly possible that Ymir was a conqueror and killed a lot of people from different rases or maybe its just propaganda, AoT has quite the liberal message so it's just natural for it to point out how there is "Truth Sad and Truth Very Happy" with the government dictating which one is the Very Happy one.

That being said, I always thought AoT decision to make the Tybur the real power was a spoiler[Valkyria Chronicles] reference, but I have 0 proof.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I was complaining about the full color palate MAPPA uses, but I just watched some of the last episodes by Wit last season from Marley which uses the same palate. I like how both Wit and mappa differentiate Paradis vs Marley.
Thus show is simply amazing. It started off so “simple” and has become something truly special.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:05 am Reply with quote
The way I see Willy is that his family got this high status by cooperating with Marleyans, so he's sort of like an example of how wealthier, more priviledged people of a race can push their own race under the bus and how people can be racist towards their own race.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh man. Episode 5 was intense. Also there’s no way they are going to finish the entire series by episode 16?? *fixed!

Last edited by KaidoYuji8Shinji on Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:02 pm Reply with quote
^
16 episodes are schedule for this set, hence the unusual December start.

But I'll agree, that was pretty damn intense. I was expecting something hairy, and it delivered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Please change the photo for this review, that picture literally gives away the ending of the episode and is a spoiler for anybody who hasn't seen it yet.
Abecedarian1995
ANN Assistant Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:53 pm Reply with quote
James, that was a beautiful piece of writing to accompany such a stunning (in all senses of the word) episode. Thank you.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:05 pm Reply with quote
BinBouGami1234 wrote:
Please change the photo for this review, that picture literally gives away the ending of the episode and is a spoiler for anybody who hasn't seen it yet.

I disagree that it's a spoiler. Who didn't expect something like that to be coming based on the end of last episode or the title of this one? Who wouldn't see the signs pointing in that direction as the episode played out? Not having the episode end like that would have been much more shocking.

Abecedarian1995 wrote:
James, that was a beautiful piece of writing to accompany such a stunning (in all senses of the word) episode. Thank you.

I will agree on this. I think it's one of James' best episode reviews to date.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Aw, shucks, thanks for the kind words! I rarely have more fun or feel more inspired than when I'm writing about AoT, so I'm glad that comes through in the final product!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 23