• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Anime Series So Short These Days?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Funchal99

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote
I believe the main problem is the way that the Japanese stubbornly run their anime market.
I did a quick backpack trip there once and asked about this to some of the people I met. Basically anime is not as popular in there as we tend ot think it is. Manga is ridiculously popular and you can find from kids to old ladies reading it on the trains. But anime is much less popular, usually airs very late at night and survives solely on a rather small, niched market. They basically don't seem to care about TV ratings, most of the money they make is through horribly overcharged Blu-Rays (about 8000 yen, or 80 dollars, for a single volume containing two episodes at most) and merchandise. Since the small, but unrelenting Otaku community spends through their eyeballs for that stuff, the market sustains itself but barely manages to profit, as evidenced by the fact that many people that work in anime, especially animators, have incredibly low wages and crunch hours like crazy.

The fact that the Japanese tend to be stubborn when it comes to changing their market models (or changing anything in their society by that matter), this is becomes a hard to solve problem. Netflix has come to Japan just THIS YEAR, and when I was there (January) most people I asked hadn't even heard of it, saying they still rented home video. They just don't want to change or adapt. I believe this has a number of reasons, not just the "they just value tradition" as most Japanese people will tell you they follow traditions not because they are passionate about it, they have simply been taught things are that way since they were little.

First, they have an underlying culture of not being eager to relate to the rest of the world. If anything, Japan's history shows instances were they simply closed their borders and tried their hardest to just close off from the west as much as they could. This has ramifications on their culture, whith social behavior that becomes so specific to the point some people may say that Japanese who live overseas for a long period of time to then come back is no longer "really Japanese". That means they just tend to resist any sort of tendency that comes from the west, like streaming services, Steam or whatever.

Second, I've been told the Japanese society works in a way that everyone must have jobs, no matter the costs, which means that allowing Streaming services would be a no-go for them since that would mean people working on the rental business would find themselves without jobs. Meaning that they don't wish to follow trends for their fellow countrymen.

And there you have it. In summary, if you think the current production model for anime is worse and miss 24 episode shows, it's because their market model is pretty narrow and sustains itself on a small but highly paying crowd, and there are no sings of changing this because they are so damn stubborn.

Ironically, we here in the west actually have access to far better and cheaper services like Crunchyroll or Funimation if we want to watch anime as soon as it's released, while Japanese fans either have to stick with television hours or buy insanely overpriced Blu-Rays. And in case you were wondering, yep, Crunchyroll and Funimation are blocked in Japan.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Series are short because they cater to otaku who have the attention span of goldfish.

Series are short because storytelling isn't the focus anymore. It's selling associated merchanise that's the fundamental thing. This is a by product of the fact that by and large anime has been kicked out of tv (japanese broadcast tv). It now only survives as 13 episodes advertisments for manga, figures, blu-rays, pillows to be shown late at night, or very very early in the morning.
I worry that fans of anime have bought hook, line and sinker into the quantity is quality mantra. No, quantity is not a sign of quality. Most modern japanese anime short 13 episode series are shit. And this is across the spectrum. Slice of life series, science fiction series, mecha series. Choose your genre. They're all identical in that the storytelling aspect has gone out the window. And you're left with characters either infodumping for sake of infodumping, or just characters standing there 'cause they're cute.
13 episodes is barely enough for an oav. There was a reason most oav were derided back in day. And it wasn't because the animation was poor. They were derided because try as you might the story telling aspect was always botched. And the main reason for that was the very small number of episodes.
For a tv series you need at a minimum 26 episodes. You can do a fully fleshed out story, with real character interactions and developments withing this framework. If it works out it is really a fulfilling experience for the audience. If it doesn't work out one can always blame the writers.

EXACTLY. 13 episodes has no chance for a proper storyline.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
Funchal99 wrote:
That means they just tend to resist any sort of tendency that comes from the west, like streaming services, Steam or whatever.

Steam is a different matter though as Japan doesn't really game that much on the PC like a significant fraction of the west does.

Funchal99 wrote:
Ironically, we here in the west actually have access to far better and cheaper services like Crunchyroll or Funimation if we want to watch anime as soon as it's released, while Japanese fans either have to stick with television hours or buy insanely overpriced Blu-Rays. And in case you were wondering, yep, Crunchyroll and Funimation are blocked in Japan.

I would think the Japanese have access to pirated stuff just as easily as we do Laughing
Funchal99

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Steam is a different matter though as Japan doesn't really game that much on the PC like a significant fraction of the west does.

Pretty much the entire game doujin scene consists of PC games, including the more popular ones like the Touhou series, not to mention most visual novels include PC releases. I do agree they are more used to playing the big-budget AAA games on consoles though.

Quote:
I would think the Japanese have access to pirated stuff just as easily as we do

Not only are many Japanese people fundamentally against piracy, recent anti-piracy laws have scared quite a lot of people of doing it. I any case, what I meant is that we here in West actually have access to much better and very cheap legal services while in Japan they are pretty much screwed if they don't want or are afraid to pirate. We can watch simulcasts and any other available titles any time we want online by paying a rather small fee, while the people in the country all this stuff is from have to spend about 48.000 yen if they wish to have all the episodes in a 12-episode show available at any time, but in physical form. At least Blu-Rays usually come packed with goodies.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
Funchal99 wrote:
We can watch simulcasts and any other available titles any time we want online by paying a rather small fee, while the people in the country all this stuff is from have to spend about 48.000 yen if they wish to have all the episodes in a 12-episode show available at any time, but in physical form. At least Blu-Rays usually come packed with goodies.

The funny thing is the producers didn't guessed that were people interested in buy anime BD's/DVDs. Before the anime BD/DVD big jump, they only made small quantities of discs to sell to video rental shops. It was a surprise when otaku started to buy these BD/DVD. The high price is what a rental shop pay and otaku are buying these discs by the thousands.

These unexpected source of income and LN/manga promotions is what made possible the huge number of anime made today.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Is it possible that the types of stories that you enjoy just aren't represented by the new crop of shorter shows? For example, Votoms could never be done as an 13-episode series, but at the same time a story like Serial Experiments Lain really wouldn't have benefited from 12 more episodes. Perhaps you prefer the former to the latter?

If it were as you say I would have stopped watching modern anime a long time ago. I like anime, I watch modern anime each season. But I do see how things have changed for the worse over the last couple of decades. Take for instance Knights of Sidonia. It's not a 12 episodes series although it was made as 3 seasons of 12 episodes each. Now each season is quite faithful to the manga, the animation was good to great, the audio aspects were done really good. So what was missing ? The organic feel was missing in that you could see the story advancing episode to episode and yet it felt like reading a grocery list. Item A checked, item B checked but we don't see how we went from A to B. That's why I talk about modern anime feeling like a set of disjoint pieces. The very few episodes of each independent season makes this disjointness in the events and character development that much more apparent, and even dominant. Another example is Macross Delta. Even this one is a 26 episodes series yet it is bad. Not because of the number of episodes but because the writers simply forgot about the story.

This is my criticism, that the shorter the series (or the focus on 12 episode independent seasons) the more dominant the "disjointness" of events and character development. It ends up feeling like watching the equivalent of reading a grocery list.

You can of course tell a story in 60 seconds. It's just that the type of story is going to be completely different from that that you would tell using 26 episodes. 12-13 episodes simply do not give the writers the necessary leeway to be ambitious in the narrative. So you always end up with the same kind of constraints. Either the series ends up in infodump, or you simply lose characters because they're effectively irrelevent, or the ending "just happens". It's all very unfulfilling.

Ironic because retro anime suffered from "disjointness" as the contemporaries. They would go something like finishing an arc, then padding it in between the next with filler, rinse repeat. The problem is exacerbated because they have more eps to work with. Let's not get started with anime original endings that were all the rage then that are 9 times out of 10 inferior to the source.

@Funchal99
You say that as if Japanese are collectively of the same mindset. That's like stating all Westerners are fickle bandwagoners who would jump at the "next big thing" at a drop of a hat because change, change, change. Not every country has to drink the "streaming is the future" koolaid either.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Series are short because storytelling isn't the focus anymore. It's selling associated merchanise that's the fundamental thing. This is a by product of the fact that by and large anime has been kicked out of tv (japanese broadcast tv). It now only survives as 13 episodes advertisments for manga, figures, blu-rays, pillows to be shown late at night, or very very early in the morning.
I worry that fans of anime have bought hook, line and sinker into the quantity is quality mantra. No, quantity is not a sign of quality. Most modern japanese anime short 13 episode series are shit. And this is across the spectrum. Slice of life series, science fiction series, mecha series. Choose your genre. They're all identical in that the storytelling aspect has gone out the window. And you're left with characters either infodumping for sake of infodumping, or just characters standing there 'cause they're cute.
13 episodes is barely enough for an oav. There was a reason most oav were derided back in day. And it wasn't because the animation was poor. They were derided because try as you might the story telling aspect was always botched. And the main reason for that was the very small number of episodes.
For a tv series you need at a minimum 26 episodes. You can do a fully fleshed out story, with real character interactions and developments withing this framework. If it works out it is really a fulfilling experience for the audience. If it doesn't work out one can always blame the writers.
That is a rather hateful statement, and there seems to be a few things you're forgetting. Late night Anime has been around a long time, and the only reason it has gotten bigger is because that's where OVA style shows have moved to. Plenty of Anime air before 21:00, maybe just not the ones you watch.

What do you mean storytelling isn't the focus anymore, based on what exactly? that you don't happen to like said story or that 13 episodes automatically equals a none story driven show. Hell as much as I like having 26 episodes, I have to admit that not every story needs that many, and plenty could of been shorter as only about half the show is the story and the other half is standalone episodes. What you claim all these shows to be, is untrue, it's a very bad generalisation.

You worry that fans have brought into quantity is quality? So after years of complaints about how shows are to long, and being tired of endless running Shonens. The complaint now is that they are to short, and fans shouldn't except that.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
I think some people are confused, anime has ALWAYS being an advertising medium, whether they are advertising toys, manga, games or itself (see disc or ticket sales).

Being used for advertising isn't the problem. The problem is that that's ALL they are used for. Telling a coherent story, having any kind of resolution, having good animation. Essentially none of that matters for certain members of the production committee when the goal is simply to put their product into peoples minds and peak their interest ever so slightly. You can make a show, like Madoka, that tells a complete story, but also works as advertising for books, music, figures, discs, etc etc. That's something I'm totally okay with. What I'm sick and tired of(and I think most people are), are shows like NGNL or Overlord, that cover a tiny and incredibly unsatisfactory amount of a story, and then are never renewed.

With NGNL the anime covered ALL of the available material, so an immediate second season would have been filler material galore. As for Overlord, I think the anime adaption was rather satisfactory (albeit LN readers sometimes nitpick about what was not shown, like Albedo's sister) and the only problem (if we are to believe LN readers) is that is keeps getting better later on and since it is an ongoing story, it might feel unsatisfactory no matter how much it is adapted.

I prefer to get the "I want more" feeling than the "It feels like a chore" to finish watching some *cough* naruto *cough* series. Since the anime industry is running out of material to adapt into anime, I am optimist that many of the good series will get more cours. I had to wait more than a decade after the Oh my goddess! OVAs to watch a tv adaption that covered most of the manga, younguns this days have no patience Anime hyper
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
The shorter the series (or the focus on 12 episode independent seasons) the more dominant the "disjointness" of events and character development. It ends up feeling like watching the equivalent of reading a grocery list.

This this this. If you think 12 episodes is all you have, you're going to pace your story entirely differently than if you have a larger mythology you're trying (and expecting) to get to. At best, you get an uneven release that doesn't feel like a 40 episode *series* so much as blocks of discrete stories with coherence limited by periodic "final episode material" that could be used to end it.

Would FMA/FMB have worked if they had to wrap things up every 12 eps? Probably not. It organically flows because they're not trying to.

Likewise, if the production is unsure if it's going to last by around episode 8, you can't really wrap things up. Imagine how much more awesome ERASED would have been if they'd been able to not hurriedly rush the last few eps out and could take their time with pacing.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'll take a 11-13 episode show that has a "read the source material" ending over a series that rushes/rewrites its content to force a "proper ending".

A good recent example is the original Black Butler versus its recent "Book of" spin-off. Most of my favorite parts of the original BB ended up being adapted from the manga while a lot of the anime only stuff was what made me roll my eyes. Book of Circus and Murder ended up being a more consistently enjoyable experience for me.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I was just about to mention ERASED in here. I really enjoyed the series as a whole, but those last few episodes were obviously a massive cram-session. I don't know that the series could have used a whole second batch of 12 episodes, but another couple to make it 15 or 16? That would have done wonders. It was definitely a case of the adaptation not really having enough time to do all of the source material justice. Makes sense that most of my favorite series have tended to be anime-original productions: the creative staff is able to tailor their story to whatever time format they're working with, not the other way around.

And I understand Cptn_Taylor's point, but I'll agree that there have been multiple 13-episode series that have managed to tell coherent and well-paced stories. The aforementioned Lain for sure, but also the likes of Haibane Renmei and Paranoia Agent. What sticks in my mind about all of those is that they all felt longer than their runtimes, which I think is a testament to solid narrative construction. In contrast, many inferior 13-episode series out there seem to go by in the blink of an eye, leaving you feeling, "...wait, that's it?"
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Aphasial wrote:
This this this. If you think 12 episodes is all you have, you're going to pace your story entirely differently than if you have a larger mythology you're trying (and expecting) to get to. At best, you get an uneven release that doesn't feel like a 40 episode *series* so much as blocks of discrete stories with coherence limited by periodic "final episode material" that could be used to end it.

But then the harsh reality hits home, nobody knows a priori when a show is going to be popular (let alone a hit). So we have two cours series like Asterisk Wars, Active Raid, Endride, etc, which should be superior for all the reasons you mention, but that is not quite the case.

Quote:
Would FMA/FMB have worked if they had to wrap things up every 12 eps? Probably not. It organically flows because they're not trying to.

The original FMA was a series that catched up to the source material and was cut off before they went into filler trainwreck mode. FMAB is one of those very rare cases where an anime/manga is so popular that it is profitable to make a remake after the series is over, you probably can count those with your fingers and have some left to spare.

Quote:
Likewise, if the production is unsure if it's going to last by around episode 8, you can't really wrap things up. Imagine how much more awesome ERASED would have been if they'd been able to not hurriedly rush the last few eps out and could take their time with pacing.

The decision of whether it is going to last one or 2+ cours is made before they start doing the adaption, best case scenario they write two endings, one where they wrap it up the best they can and one where they hint at more episodes. Heck, sometimes they hint at more episodes that never materialize *cough* The Ambition of Oda Nobuna *cough*

Yeah, I know you are thinking but in the good old days series were longer, but the sad truth is that in that era series like Erased would not have seen the green light (or worse, would have been 6 episodes ovas).
Suena

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
For the most part, I can't really complain. A lot of those older 25-ep series really took a while to get the story rolling, so it took a while for you to know whether it was going to be interesting, plus there was often fair amounts of filler in the middle to wade through. With 12-episode series being the norm, it seems the storytelling has gotten a lot tighter. I'll take concise and shorter content, over longer watered-down content.
Violynne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Growing up watching anime through the 70s, and dealing with a considerable number of titles with 24+ episodes, I have to say I appreciate these 12/13 episode series more.

People only tend to remember the good shows, but forget how many of those longer episode series had more filler than story, a feature I do not miss about anime. I couldn't imagine trying to watch those older shows, such as Magic Knight Rayearth (in which all three girls get their own "quest" to find their uh ... mecha-like things.

A show like Cowboy Bebop was a rare thing, where the action was nice and formulated through its 24 episodes, which kept many entertained.

The biggest reason I enjoy the 13 episode series is I can now consume more of them. Those which do well tend to get another season, while the others... wait for a century to pass before finally getting licensed.

My only disappointment with the fewer episodes were the box sets which placed 3/4 episodes per disk to pad the box set.
Funchal99

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
@Paiprince
Quote:
You say that as if Japanese are collectively of the same mindset. That's like stating all Westerners are fickle bandwagoners who would jump at the "next big thing" at a drop of a hat because change, change, change. Not every country has to drink the "streaming is the future" koolaid either.

Of course they are entitled to their own decisions and not wanting to get in the "bandwagon", as you say. Doesn't change the fact that the anime industry is sustained by a relatively small market that pays a lot for overpriced Blu-Rays and goods, and that foreigners have acess to a much cheaper and legalized way for consuming the same thing. You can take what you will from that.

I say it's a dumb, stubborn move that's bad for everybody, especially those who work at said industry and have bad wages even though it has quite a lot of fans if you count foreigners. Of course, there are those who actually see the opportunities and capitalize on it. Ajin, the CG anime by Polygon Pictures, sold like crap in Japan and yet it's getting a second season. I wonder why (hint: it was released on Netflix after it's original run in Japan).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8