• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Director of Gundam SEED Thinks Anime Has Too Many Regulations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
It's censorship and KIDS! Point to me a show like Patlabor. Maybe GiTS.

Did I see a mutilated Asuka Family on the cover of the article? (LMAO) Laughing
nargun

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
"ONLY 8k" probably has more to due with the nature that Japanese Blu-ray/DVD prices are absurdly expensive and only the most die hard of fans would be willing to fork over that much money just to have a series on DVD/Bluray.

It's also worth noting that the healthy second-hand market in media in japan means that first-up sales, prices, etc, aren't directly commesurate with those in other parts: a lot of people buy stuff second- or third-hand, so consumption is higher than just the from-new sales, and the second-hand sale price offsets the first-up purchase price making anime cheaper than you might think.

Comparing across differently-structured economies is tricky.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Won't lie, I completely agree with him.

Now, some people may say that cutting back on the amount of censorship needed would only lead to more fanservice, more shows with bad taste.

But you know what's worse than a show with bad taste to me?

A show with bad taste that's censored.

On the subject of censored violence, again I think if a show wants to be gruesome, it should be able to be gruesome without giant black bars cutting through the screen.

Recently Attack on Titan probably pissed off loads of censors in Japan I imagine, and it was a better show for it. Because the violence in said show fit and typically felt appropriate for the world they were building.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
He should perhaps keep his mouth closed. SEED Destiny was terrible despite having few "regulations" (whatever that means); both he and his wife (who wrote SEED Destiny) both effed up big time. Whereas plenty of modern shows turn out good despite supposedly suffering under yoke of "regulations".
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Code Geass 2 was turned from a night show(8/10) to a prime time show(eather a 5 because it looked very good or a 10 for the humour). Season 2 turned into Gundam Seed Destiny by episode 2. The original ending to season 1 also went out the window and most future plans.

I don't agree with your purely personal judgments since, unlike SEED Destiny, I think rewatching all of Code Geass has only improved my opinion of it as both a work of consciously over-the-top entertainment and in terms of the truly interesting core of the story. Those who are able to enjoy both sides of the coin, rather than rejecting or ignoring one, will get the most out of the series. But that's a matter of opinion.

That said, the "original ending" to the first season wasn't all that different. spoiler[Lelouch was going to win against Suzaku, which would be an important change, but only to immediately lose to the Emperor and be imprisoned again. Basically comparable to what happened, just lacking Rolo and the temporary memory reset.] Generally speaking, they changed several details and placed more emphasis on the new robots, also spending extra time on unnecessary re-introductions early on, but various major elements were still the same and in the grand scheme of things the series reached its intended conclusion.

More on topic, since this is specifically related to a discussion about regulations, I believe they did tone down some of the on-screen violence/nudity -neither of which is all that big of a deal for me, either way- because of the earlier time slot. However, it's interesting that Fukuda here is talking about how even late night shows are also being restricted, which is a valid point of debate, regardless of whatever I might think about the man's Gundam-related activities.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
But you know what's worse than a show with bad taste to me?

A show with bad taste that's censored.

True dat. Censorship sucks. It's why I can't watch American cartoons much anymore. Too used to anime's leniency when it comes to stuff like violence and sex. Kinda weird to go back and watch an action show where no one hurts each other or ever acknowledges boobs lol. Hope Japan never gets like that.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hope Japan never gets like that.

Most observers have commented that the upcoming Japan based Olympics might force even MORE regulations on media to have an "international audience conscious tone" so expect regulations to get tighter before they become more lenient.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Taking a slightly different stance than everyone else, sensor ship (in the right abundance) helps creativity. When the cast behind a series hit road blocks because of X.Y. or Z they start thinking of how they may potray that in a different way... or they may just cut that part out.

Having regulations can incourage creativity as much if not more so then it hurts it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
BigHeadClan wrote:
Taking a slightly different stance than everyone else, sensor ship (in the right abundance) helps creativity. When the cast behind a series hit road blocks because of X.Y. or Z they start thinking of how they may potray that in a different way... or they may just cut that part out.

Having regulations can incourage creativity as much if not more so then it hurts it.

Censorship does not create better narratives, better writers/directors are the ones that can produce better materials (often times they don't, but that isn't the issue as far as the conversation is concerned)
Telling a media creator they can't do a vague form of x,y, or z simply denies the possibility of a potential art form, it is like telling an artist "you can't paint with red, ever" they could technically get around it but more hawk eyed viewers will notice it especially if years later in an interview a Director or studio head says "I really wanted to make my work like this, but the current regulations wouldn't allow it".
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I totally agree.

Same. I would buy this man a drink.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
BigHeadClan wrote:

Censorship does not create better narratives, better writers/directors are the ones that can produce better materials (often times they don't, but that isn't the issue as far as the conversation is concerned)
Telling a media creator they can't do a vague form of x,y, or z simply denies the possibility of a potential art form, it is like telling an artist "you can't paint with red, ever" they could technically get around it but more hawk eyed viewers will notice it especially if years later in an interview a Director or studio head says "I really wanted to make my work like this, but the current regulations wouldn't allow it".

Ya man, it's pretty ridiculous when you read interviews with creators and directors years later on their shows like one which you can read here

http://marvel.toonzone.net/spideytas/interviews/sempervenom/

No punching or Spider-Man landing on roofs to scare pigeons. What's up with that? There' no way censorship ever helps. Never seen a cartoon on TV where I said "I'm glad these guns fire lasers instead of bullets, hooray for censorship" Razz
KH91

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I want to give this guy a raise. Agreed.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
Hope Japan never gets like that.

Most observers have commented that the upcoming Japan based Olympics might force even MORE regulations on media to have an "international audience conscious tone" so expect regulations to get tighter before they become more lenient.

not only that but I worry what the Olympics will do to Japan's economy considering Athens 2004 wrecked Greece's economy and they've been slowly but surely spiraling into a fascist run Government ever since

it's nice that the eyes of the world will be on Japan but I worry what the costs could be
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Those of you who think censorship isn't a problem then list shows that are on the air, are I think missing a big part of the problem which is this: Where censorship hurts most is that it keeps anime and other kinds of art production companies from taking chances with new and unusual properties and ideas that would be considered iffy. Naruto and properties like it will always get their anime, and anything bothersome will be edited out.

But what about mid-list titles, and original titles that might well be something wonderful but which production company has to really take a chance on? Which do you think they'll choose, a safe title or one that might get in trouble because of a vaguely worded law so that it ends up on an adult-only shelf in stores and doesn't recoup sales? That's why government censorship narrows variety and harms art, because production companies cannot afford to take risks like that.
gilg4mesh

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:
the first thing that came to my mind: Pupa

*high-five*
Pupa butchered from too many angles...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8