• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament-Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
- I'm not sure if I'm doing this right... especially the picture. How does everyone do that?Edit: after browsing the forums, found it - Oh, and it's my first write up, so if you can do it better, please do Very Happy

Nominating:
Kyoko Mogami vs. Sho Fuwa, Skip Beat!
Picture
Type of conflict: Vengeful, competitive
What's it all about: Kyoko, a 15 year old girl, loves her childhood friend Sho and does everything she can to help him in his career in music, leaving high school and even neglecting herself. Sho is often very cold to Kyoko. However, when she overhears him talking/flirting to his female manager, finding out he sees her as a plain, boring girl, good for nothing but housekeeping - she snaps. Kyoko vows vengeance on Sho, who then tells her that if she wants revenge on him, she'd better become a bigger star than he is.
Why they should win: you can't help but root for our strong lead, Kyoko, who's been used and betrayed by Sho. It's a kind of rivalry not often seen in anime and is executed very well.

Seconding:
Izaya Orihara vs. Shizuo Heiwajima, Durarara!
Ash Ketchum & friends vs. Team Rocket, Pokemon
San vs. Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke

Last edited by A Mystery on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Raftina wrote:

Voting Against
Lupin vs. Zenigata, Lupin III: I don't buy the idea that this nomination has a bias against comedic rivalry. Nor is the concern against Lupin vs. Zenigata based on unevenness. It was based on the interpretation that Lupin doesn't take Zenigata seriously, i.e. the rivalry is entirely one-sided. It is hardly a rivalry if one side sees the other as a minor nuisance from time to time.

I see this as arguing a match before it happens. The entire tournament is probably going to largely consist of arguments like this, of how strong the rivalry/adversarial relationship is.
Now, they may be uneven but they do BOTH acknowledge their conflict, it's not as if Lupin doesn't have to escape from Zenigata regularly, they are acknowledged adversaries (not really rivals, but this is a tournament for both, right?) but I don't see the reason to vote against a nomination if they at least make the qualification. A one-sided rival/adversary is one in which one side has absolutely no reason to acknowledge it, Lupin does acknowledge he has to escape Zenigata and the ICPO... it's just that he knows he can evade escape.

Rivals: Fight to gain the same thing (honor, love, power, etc.)
Adversaries: Fight to keep the other from getting what they want.

Ya, I think I jumped the gun when I voted against Lupin vs. Zenigata. The more I think about it, the more I realize they aren't rivals exactly, but they are adversaries. They may not be as strong a pairing as other rivals, but they should still qualify. This is why I am changing my vote against Lupin vs. Zenigata to a second.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Concerning the question about triangular rivals/adversaries: not sure how I feel about that. Opinions?
The idea is interesting, but it opens the door for large harem love rivalries. I think It's a better idea to just keep it to two individuals or groups.

VOTING FOR:
Sousuke Sagara vs. Gauron FMP
-people are voting against Tenma vs. Johan because Johan only has creepy love and respect for Tenma. Isn't that a similar situation with Sousuke and Gauron? Gauron has some creepy wish for them to die together. Also, Johan's objective is to make Tenma slip up and compromise his morals, so they ARE rivals in ideology.
Tamahome vs. Nakago Fushigi Yuugi
Ash Ketchum & Friends vs. Team Rocket Pokemon
-Some things will never change. The Earth will orbit the sun, and The Team Rocket trio will try and fail to capture Pikachu.
The Digidestined vs. Myotismon Digimon
Kazuma vs. Ryuhou sCRYed
San vs. Lady Eboshi Princess Mononoke
Kyoko Mogami vs. Sho Fuwa Skip Beat!

Last edited by Tris8 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Voting Against:
Creed Diskenth and Saya Minatsuki for the same reason as PetrifiedJello. Saya doesn't consider Creed a rival or an enemy.

Voting For:
The Digidestined vs Myotismon, Digimon Adventures
Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara - Durarara!

Last edited by Aylinn on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Nomination:

Vash the Stampede vs Millions Knives Picture

Type of conflict: familial, ideological and competitive rivals

What's it all about: Vash and Knives might be twin brothers, but their life philosophies could not be different, while Vash cherishes life in all its forms and gets along with human beings, Knives is sadistic, holds people in contempt and wants to eradicate human race once and for all. During one of their confrontations he forces Vash to destroy the city of July which results in deaths of all of its inhabitants. After suffering a serious injury, he forms the Gung-Ho-Guns lead by Legato Bluesummer to act on his behalf in order to force Vash into abandoning his 'love and peace' approach.

Why they should win: The conflict between the two brothers is one of the most known in the anime.

Voting for:
San vs. Lady Eboshi Princess Mononoke
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Nominating

Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, picture
Key Members (Team Dai-Gurren) - Simon, Yoko, Leeron, Kittan, Viral, Dayakka, Rossiu, Gimmy, Darry
Type of Conflict: A fight for the survival of the human race and Spiral lifeforms
What the Deal is: This is mainly about the second arc of TTGL where the Anti-Spirals make their appearance.

Once the human population reaches a certain level, the Anti-Spiral automated eradication system activates. To restore order to the universe in the Anti-Spiral's vision, the Moon must crash onto the surface of the Earth. The Anti-Spirals are a race that refuses to tap into their innate Spiral power under the fear that if uncontrolled would cause the destruction of the universe.

When this catastrophic event is announced to the world, the members of Team Dai-Gurren sorties for their biggest battle fought to date. This fight for more than for the survival of the Earth. It is for the continued existence of the human race and all Spiral lifeforms.

Why They Should Win: The final battle between Team Dai-Gurren and Anti-Spiral is as epic as it's galactic proportion, literally. Many lives are lost in the fights leading up to the battle of all battles. This is what a fight for survival is all about here in the battle of Spiral Lifeforms versus Anti-Spirals.

Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack, picture, picture 2
Type of Conflict: Ace pilots, different views on human evolution
What the Deal is: We have an original rivalry that was one of the main focuses of the original Gundam series. Char would always be the biggest obstacle to Amuro's mission on hand. As Amuro gains battle experience, he is more and more able to go head-to-head with Char in the Gundam. After every hard-fought battle where the White Base and Gundam emerge victorious, Char finds himself having to avenge more and more of his slain men.

In the later parts of the original Gundam series, a tragic event ends with the loss of a woman that both men loved. This turning point intensified their rivalry and hatred for one another.

Why They Should Win: Ace pilot against ace pilot, Newtype against Newtype, this is a true rivalry between these two men. Their differing ideals on human evolution and a mass emigration to space culminates in a final battle in Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack. Char is also known for his use of the color red on his heavily customized mobile suits not limited to but also including his iconic Zaku II.

Last edited by The Naked Beast on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Key wrote:
Concerning the question about triangular rivals/adversaries: not sure how I feel about that. Opinions?
The idea is interesting, but it opens the door for large harem love rivalries. I think It's a better idea to just keep it to two individuals or groups.

Although it could lead to harem girls I don't think it necessarily has to lead to harem combos. Sports teams can have multiple rivals... Warring factions can possibly contain more than two sides.
They would have to have to be very strong multiple side rivalries in order to avoid weakening the nominations though. Usually one pairing comes out as the strongest conflict and the only one that needs to really be paid attention to.

For instance, harem shows in which all girls have equal chance with the lead often lead to a diminished strength because the personality of the guy becomes so bland in order to be so equally enamored of each girl and you end up why they're all fighting for him. Anime from a dating/ero game would have the greatest chance for a big rivalry. Shuffle is one of the best examples of such a show anbd could conceivably be nominated as a 4 or 5 way rivalry but even in that the only really strong rivalry, IMO, is between Sia and Nerine, spoiler[despite the fact that neither win the guy in the anime.]

On the other hand... who are the strongest pair of group rivals in Black Lagoon? Do any stand out as particularly strong?

Complicated conflicts could possibly merit special permission, but they always risk dilution.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Key wrote:
[/quote]
Hmm, missed it. I think it's a nice idea. If we're allowing organizations then why not? For example, Kudo Shinichi is the Black Organization's adversary [even though the organization members usually treat him as more of an invisible enemy], and within that organization [up to episode 350, anyway] he's already had fine duels with a bunch of members, but mostly 2 of them whom I'd consider his adversaries (actress + Gin, Gin being more of a rival).

I don't think the harem theory matters much. If that were the case we'd just pick the two strongest adversaries -- that's usually very easy within a harem.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Voting for:

Naruto vs. Sasuke - Naruto
Sawako vs. Kurumi - Kimi ni Todoke
Lelouch vs. Suzaku - Code Geass
Goku vs. Vegeta - Dragonball Z/GT
Ash and friends vs. Team Rocket Trio - Pokemon
Spike vs. Vicious - Cowboy Bebop
Shizuo vs. Izaya - Durarara!
Vash vs. Knives - Trigun
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:

Takuto vs. Sugata Star Driver pic
Type of conflict: love rivals
What's it all about: One day Takuto arrives in an island to begin his new fabulous high school life. He meets a girl, Wako, and falls in love. Unfortunately, Wako is already engaged to Sugata, but it was something decided and forced on them. Takuto and Sugata vie with each other for Wako’s attention, which binds them together.
Why they should win: The fabulousness of this rivalry is immense, it creates some good moments and both of them get closer together to eventually in the last episode end up in a kind of original ending whose interpretation is easily yaoi-friendly.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Supporting:
Team Dai-Gurren vs Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann
Lelouch vs Suzaku, Code Geass franchise
Amuro Ray vs Char Aznuble, Mobile Suit Gundam
Shizuo vs Izuma, Durarara
San vs Eboshi, Princess Mononoke
Kazuma vs Ryuho, Scryed (and I was originally planning to nominate them Laughing )
Sousuke vs Gauron, Full Metal Panic franchise

Voting Against:
Takuto vs Sugata, Star Driver- Their so-called rivalry for Wako's attention is more friendly than tense with the three essentially being a trio of friends willing to help one another during the ordeals they face with the Glittering Crux Brigade. I can't recall any hostilities between the two boys that involve Wako.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Voting Against:
Takuto vs Sugata, Star Driver- Their so-called rivalry for Wako's attention is more friendly than tense with the three essentially being a trio of friends willing to help one another during the ordeals they face with the Glittering Crux Brigade. I can't recall any hostilities between the two boys that involve Wako.

Since when do rivals have to show hostility towards each other? They are not enemies. Look at Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya from Hikaru no Go, they are rivals, but there is no hostility between them.

Last edited by Aylinn on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Voting Against:

Since when do rivals have to be hostile? They are not enemies.

Their rivalry is more friendly than competitive, compared to love rivals like Ayeka/Ryoko and Sekai/Kotonoha. And to me, they came across more as trio of friends than a love triangle with how they interacted with one another. Those are essentially the major reasons I've voted in opposition to them.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Their rivalry is more friendly than competitive, compared to love rivals like Ayeka/Ryoko and Sekai/Kotonoha. And to me, they came across more as trio of friends than a love triangle with how they interacted with one another. Those are essentially the major reasons I've voted in opposition to them.

Surly, their rivalry may not be very dramatic and only gets a bit more competitive at the end of the series, but it IS there. They BOTH see each other as rivals, which means they do qualify.
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Voting For
Takuto vs Sugata, Star Driver: There's nothing wrong with a friendly rivalry. Actually, a rivalry where the two are generally on friendly terms but compete for some limited quantity goal provide better opportunities to build a multi-faceted relationship entwined with the rivalry. The result is generally more interesting than two characters who are just in an all out war.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 20