• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HENNEKO Author: Anime's Foreign Product Placement to Be Removed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Actually I've heard that authors can be pretty close to the development of a series, they do have quite a bit of creative control in it, to the point where they may be the ones who decide an anime adaptation may deviate from the original work due to lack of episodes. As I recall, Zero no Tsukaima's author was quite involved in F.

Also, this theory rests on the possibility that the author hates k-pop. Hypothetically speaking, if I were in the author's position and I realized a movie adaptation or whatever of a story I wrote had a poster that advertised Chris Brown's crap or whatever in the background, I'd be pretty pissed myself.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Yes. wanting to keep the race "pure", has often been the driving motivation of racism throughout the years. The more you try to explain it away as "It's racism, but not really racism", the more it just sounds like plain racism.
It seems to me he's talking about cultural matters, rather than racial. Not everybody trying to preserve their "cultural heritage" is racist.
Quote:
And I highly doubt that one image was an kind of load-bearing extra work. And if anything, forcing them to remove it would in fact be the extra work, he's so against.
And since it turned out to be something the potential customer base didn't like and thus had to be removed to appease them, the person who stuck it in created more work for no good reason.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Actually I've heard that authors can be pretty close to the development of a series, they do have quite a bit of creative control in it, to the point where they may be the ones who decide an anime adaptation may deviate from the original work due to lack of episodes. As I recall, Zero no Tsukaima's author was quite involved in F.

Some do. Others just sign off on it getting made. Even the heavily involved ones likely don't usually peer over every scene and approve every little background detail though.
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

I said Pet girl is bad AND Nichijou is bad.
Cry all you like, but these shows are proven failures, in viewer ratings and in sales. Nichijou is so damn bad not even sentai films has touched it yet. You think some reviews and comments by a bunch of internet nerds is going to change things? lmfao

ain't nobody got time for that. most people do not sit on the internet all day and blog on 2CH like you seem to believe. people with real jobs have to go to work and they buy what they like when they like for their own entertainment purposes.

Wow! This might be the worst post in this thread if not for all the subtle racism in everyone else's posts.
Listen, my friend. Bad sales do not equal a bad show, just like good sales do not equal a good show. All they signify is how much of a financial success a show is. This is something that most people, who are not idiots, are already aware of.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

That's funny, I'm seeing Korean dramas doing really well around the world.
[rant](...)

Korea & Japan broadcasters distribute their products differently. It's a pity that the latter ones don't trust streaming, but not using one distribution channel it doesn't mean they are not selling them.

Last edited by kgw on Tue May 07, 2013 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alexander55

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Dang, over 80 posts just for some foreign K-pop placement in a niche Anime? Seriously?

Then again, its reasonable.

Japan, Korea, and China are too blinded by their nationalism and the past to see through their problems and achieve resolve.

Now before you call me ignorant, I do recall that the crimes that imperialist Japan committed during WWII and their occupation of Korea. It was horrendous. But then again, what nation hasn't committed acts of atrocity. The US has done it, India has done it, China, Britain, France, Africa as a whole, Australia, nearly the whole world has done it.

Of course, in the end, its all of game of politics. Nationalist right in South Korea insist that Japanese must apologize for what they did to them in the past and even repay them back in $$$ even though the Japanese have repeatedly apologized to them in the past and the current generation have nothing to do with the past crimes of the imperialists.

Shindo Abe, the LDP's conservative prime minister, responds by visiting a shrine dedicated to celebrating war criminals who were involved with the "Comfort women" tragedy and claims that those women were "prostitutes" rather than "victims." Hence, the Japanese far-right have yet triggered another international conflict, not just with Korea but China as well. And hence, we'll continue to see the cat-fight between these Asian countries until they see past their politics and nationalism and actually forget about the past and make peace.

And that's why I gave up both American and Japanese politics just last year, prior to the re-election of Barrack Obama, and the fact that most people don't even bother looking up information outside the corporate news media about their candidates or voting for 3rd party candidates. Its a tragedy really, because than you have people complaining about the "economy", "healthcare", "poverty", "Gay marriage", "global warming", "Internet freedom" "wall st", etc, and then they vote for Democrat and Republican all the time. They complain about one of the two parties and point figures at their politicians and yet, re-elect them ALL THE FU&*Kin time! Lamar Smith, the author of SOPA, got reelected in his own district. Yes, in his own freakin district. I suppose CISPA's Mike Rogers will also get re-elected because truth be said, most American voters are bloody idiots!

And with Japan. Same hopeless situation. How long has the conservative LDP party ruled the "Land of the rising sun?" 50, 60, or 70+ year? Seriously Japan? And I thought we were bad but they are worse, its almost like One-party system like China, except, it seems most Japanese voters collectively follow the largest party. Hence why the LDP continues to remain the largest political party in Japan.

The DPJ, the only liberal party in Japan, has suddenly become a minority while Shintaro Ishihara's "Sunrise Party" has more seats than them. Its scary how the nation is slowly plunging to the far-right.

And as for S.Korea, I don't really have to say much. They are about the same as most American voters. They vote for what they see in the media and not what the candidates really offer in substance. Hence why they are stuck with a two party system just like us.

America : Votes for Democrat or Republican
S.Korea : Democratic United Party or Saenuri.
Japan : Liberal Democratic Party(LDP and they are conservative)
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Yes. wanting to keep the race "pure", has often been the driving motivation of racism throughout the years. The more you try to explain it away as "It's racism, but not really racism", the more it just sounds like plain racism.

And I highly doubt that one image was an kind of load-bearing extra work. And if anything, forcing them to remove it would in fact be the extra work, he's so against.

I'm not trying to claim that it isn't "racism." I'm just saying that telling them they're "racist" when they, on their side, don't think so is just going to insult them and do nothing else. This entire situation happened because the circumstances on how Japanese people view their entertainment is how it is at this moment. We can't simply change that and trying to leave it alone would have had consequences to the company and would be far from an "I support not being racist" thing in their eyes. Change is happening, but because it is Japan, it has to happen slowly and we have to acknowledge it, just as we have to acknowledge the things that are still unfair (and not make a huge fuss, as long as things are still changing).

And the author didn't force them to remove it. It sounds more like the animation company has to remove it to avoid a problem with sales, and he's just commenting on it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

That's funny, I'm seeing Korean dramas doing really well around the world.
[rant](...)

Korea & Japan broadcasters distribute their products in different. It's a pity that the latter ones don't trust streaming, but not using one distribution channel it doesn't mean they are not selling them.

South Korea relied on streaming sites in US and some other part of the world, and TV broadcast in Middle East, Eastern Europe, and Latin America to get K-dramas outside of Asia. So that's how K-drama was able to get popular around the world and J-dramas are like limited while K-dramas is being exported in huge numbers. If Japan had exported more J-drama using streaming and TV broadcasts around the world, this would be the Japanese Wave, not the Korean Wave like we're in now.

As I said, I never seen J-dramas getting huge attention unlike K-dramas. Japan has problem and this is why they're losing on a international scale when it comes to drama and pop music. As I said, I could find few J-dramas while I can find more then 150+ K-dramas on streaming sites.

NGK wrote:

Let's just say Japanese marketing and business acumen... are not that strong to begin with. They can't even begin to look beyond their island for greater opportunities (except for the established - Japan Inc.)

Are you familiar with Galapagos syndrome? Japan is pretty infamous for that, that's the reason why J-drama is not exported in huge number and J-pop didn't have a breakout like K-pop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Alexander55 wrote:
Dang, over 80 posts just for some foreign K-pop placement in a niche Anime? Seriously?

Then again, its reasonable.

Japan, Korea, and China are too blinded by their nationalism and the past to see through their problems and achieve resolve.

Now before you call me ignorant, I do recall that the crimes that imperialist Japan committed during WWII and their occupation of Korea. It was horrendous. But then again, what nation hasn't committed acts of atrocity. The US has done it, India has done it, China, Britain, France, Africa as a whole, Australia, nearly the whole world has done it.

Of course, in the end, its all of game of politics. Nationalist right in South Korea insist that Japanese must apologize for what they did to them in the past and even repay them back in $$$ even though the Japanese have repeatedly apologized to them in the past and the current generation have nothing to do with the past crimes of the imperialists.

Shindo Abe, the LDP's conservative prime minister, responds by visiting a shrine dedicated to celebrating war criminals who were involved with the "Comfort women" tragedy and claims that those women were "prostitutes" rather than "victims." Hence, the Japanese far-right have yet triggered another international conflict, not just with Korea but China as well. And hence, we'll continue to see the cat-fight between these Asian countries until they see past their politics and nationalism and actually forget about the past and make peace.

And that's why I gave up both American and Japanese politics just last year, prior to the re-election of Barrack Obama, and the fact that most people don't even bother looking up information outside the corporate news media about their candidates or voting for 3rd party candidates. Its a tragedy really, because than you have people complaining about the "economy", "healthcare", "poverty", "Gay marriage", "global warming", "Internet freedom" "wall st", etc, and then they vote for Democrat and Republican all the time. They complain about one of the two parties and point figures at their politicians and yet, re-elect them ALL THE FU&*Kin time! Lamar Smith, the author of SOPA, got reelected in his own district. Yes, in his own freakin district. I suppose CISPA's Mike Rogers will also get re-elected because truth be said, most American voters are bloody idiots!

And with Japan. Same hopeless situation. How long has the conservative LDP party ruled the "Land of the rising sun?" 50, 60, or 70+ year? Seriously Japan? And I thought we were bad but they are worse, its almost like One-party system like China, except, it seems most Japanese voters collectively follow the largest party. Hence why the LDP continues to remain the largest political party in Japan.

The DPJ, the only liberal party in Japan, has suddenly become a minority while Shintaro Ishihara's "Sunrise Party" has more seats than them. Its scary how the nation is slowly plunging to the far-right.

And as for S.Korea, I don't really have to say much. They are about the same as most American voters. They vote for what they see in the media and not what the candidates really offer in substance. Hence why they are stuck with a two party system just like us.

America : Votes for Democrat or Republican
S.Korea : Democratic United Party or Saenuri.
Japan : Liberal Democratic Party(LDP and they are conservative)

As I stated in one my earlier post it's fun watching people, with so much free time arguing over 1st world issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
guildmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
Alexander55 wrote:
... Now before you call me ignorant, I do recall that the crimes that imperialist Japan committed during WWII and their occupation of Korea. It was horrendous. But then again, what nation hasn't committed acts of atrocity. The US has done it, India has done it, China, Britain, France, Africa as a whole, Australia, nearly the whole world has done it...

I'm pretty much in agreement with what you wrote. WRT to the above, you are correct, except for the scale of what Japan did in the first half of the 20th century. They rivaled nazi Germany in the scale and brutality (and often exceeded in the latter) of the atrocities committed.

So what does this mean? Well it provides some insight as to the still highly insular nature of Japan, and the shortsighted reaction by the the subject of this thread.
Kastel

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
itt: we tell ourselves we are better at solving racism than the japanese

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
1st world issues.

Yes, racism is a 1st world problem. Just like having too much goat cheese in the salad makes you sick.

Last edited by Kastel on Wed May 08, 2013 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Yes. Japan is one of the most racist countries on the planet.

Actually, East Asia in general is one of the most racist continents on the planet.
Not that two wrongs make a right, but ya can't really blame them. The rest of the world has treated them like "monkeys" for centuries.

Usually product placement, means product sponsorship. In other words. the Korean band's agents paid to have that poster inserted. It helped pay for the anime in the first place, and it's only a no-no when that isn't the case, which I believe this situation was.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
The Anti-Korea censorship is getting old. and It's just like the recent similarity like FUJI TV or just like United States and speak English and Spanish or Canada speak English and French etc. etc.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
All he had to say was "I'm sorry, they left a dumpster truck full of money at my house. I'm not made of stone!". I'm sure all would be forgiven.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I laughed out loud when I read of the author referring to INFINITE as "a foreign band no one's ever heard of or seen". Yes, clearly no one in Japan has seen or heard of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7