• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Bamboo Blade, Druaga, Dragonaut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:

They probably are doing that for GITS, but I don't think so for Eva. The copies for both movies are out of print. Had to shell out $30+ for a copy of EoE recently....

Seriously.. Wow they should have it for digital download or something it is eva.

It's only 2 episodes. Should he have to pay for a 13 episode box set just because he watched 2 episodes? If I were in the same position, I would just watch the same 2 episodes again on FUNi's site to give them some hits, but that would be about it.[/quote]

Oh and by "watch two episodes on FUNi's site" you mean turn it on and let it sit there on mute. Anime smallmouth

Last edited by zanarkand princess on Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Oh and by "watch two episodes on FUNi's site" you mean turn it on and let it sit there on mute. Anime smallmouth

I'd open the web page, let the ads load up, and then close it.

I can't say too much about Blassreiter, I only think people enjoyed that for the Nitro+ and some other stuff, but I hated the visuals and shut it off in 5 minutes.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah! Finally they've announced Bamboo blade.
icepick314

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
wow

Funimation's on license storm again...

it's nice to see some of the titles coming to US...

only series i watched from beginning to end was Bamboo Blade and i enjoyed it throughly...great voice and action scenes....can't wait to watch on DVD instead of fansub...

only thing i don't like about Funimation is they're a bit lazy on background information...ADV puts out as much as they can on cultural references...LOVED Pani Poni Dash ADV did...great job on ADV Notes...

but as long as US gets releases, it's good for anime fandom in US....i do hope Bamboo Blade gets some kind of background extras on kendo....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I was hoping Funimation would license Druaga and Blassreiter. I hope they dub it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Yes, I was hoping Funimation would license Druaga and Blassreiter. I hope they dub it.

They always will.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Seeing how I haven't seen any of these my thoughts are: "Woot! More anime."

Now I'd say I'm more inclined to get on somebody's case if they've seen these in entirety and then do nothing to support them (not counting legal streams or downloads, there we''re cool)
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
I don't understand what people find so abhorrent about Dragonaut. I really enjoyed it, but this hate is like...completely across the board and insanely high in its intensity. WTF is wrong with the show? >_>;

1) Absolutely terrible CGI. The 2-D animation was pretty normal, but the CGI clashed horribly with it. It was jagged, ugly, and out of place.

2) Speaking of the 2-D animation, all the guys had mullets and all the girls had breasts the size of watermelons. Except Akira. She was actually pretty cool, but those who watched the series know what happened to her...

3) Lousy characters. Most of them were just cardboard cut-outs with no real character development, prone to switching sides and having personality changes at the drop of the hat if the plot required it. Not to mention that the whole thing felt like it was trying to create an instant fandom, with obvious relationships (heterosexual, homosexual, even threesomes!) openly featured in the credits. I mean, who needs real characters when you can just have fanservice?

4) Awful plot. While the idea of dragons as aliens from another planet is interesting, it started to ruin it when it didn't have them riding actual dragons but flying inside them like mecha - i.e., not real dragons at all. And it kept getting more and more ridiculous as it went on, until the utterly nonsensical ending... Unfortunately I can't discuss the details of all the stupid "twists" (most of them incredibly predictable and/or taken from better series) that this series goes through because I'll piss of the people who would rather not be spoiled.

5) Any show where the only argument you can make for individuality is "we like different kinds of food" epic FAILS.

Dragonaut is a perfect example of why fansubs or some other form of previewing a series in its entirety (be it online streaming, easier rentals, etc.) is a good thing, because otherwise you would be tricked into thinking "An anime about dragons? Awesome!" and then be stuck with this stinker.

I did, however, enjoy it thoroughly. Best comedy I'd seen in ages!
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I've learned not to think that, as Dragonlance animated movie proved, no animation can clash so horribly from 2-D to 3-D/CGI, none I tell you!

Video trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHrOfJ8_D0o
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
I've learned not to think that, as Dragonlance animated movie proved, no animation can clash so horribly from 2-D to 3-D/CGI, none I tell you!

Video trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHrOfJ8_D0o

Yeah... that's worse than dragonauts, true, but only because GONZO actually does pretty good 2-D animation. I stand by my protest of hideous designs for the characters and the dragons, though.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo Blade I already plan to buy. It's right up my alley. The rest, I'll give them a chance, maybe check them out if they go on the video portal.

I'd like some kendo notes too but I won't brush it aside without them. An English dub and uncut/uncensored video are about my only requirements anymore and only one of those is ever really in doubt. (And with my Texas Overlords, I don't really worry much at all.)

Wow, Dragonaut is hated. (Never seen it, not interested either, just amazed at the near complete revulsion. Makes me wonder if there are a bunch of fans of it who are dying to say they like it but don't want to get attacked for that opinion.)
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Well if the Dragons/other things they put in 3d into 2d it wouldn't have been so bad, but they wanted to "Advance" it up /Get CGI experience so to speak.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
@Z Princess
Ignore Unit, he's an idiot in regards to his stance on fansubs.

Anyway yea I was smart enough to dodge Dragonaut. I watched two episodes and stopped too. Judging from some summaries and reviews I've seen, thank god that I was able to save some of my time. This seriously had to be part of some group deal otherwise this would not make any sense since this won't sell in the US. They better get Seto out of this or I'm just going to be in shock. I'm looking forward to Bamboo Blade and Druaga is decent. People who say that good shows don't get licensed in the US and only crap does got some very good ammunition tonight.

Last edited by Jarmel on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I watched 5 Episodes and couldn't take anymore Dragonaut Fails Hard. People who thinks it looks cool. listen to what everyone is telling you, Dragonaut Sucks you waste your money you will be sad.
School Days is another one that sucks but we shouldn't mention that one. and for those that Pani poni Dash: http://www.amazon.com/Paniponi-Dash-Complete-Box-Set/dp/B001OMZYE0/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3B8G4EWX7DYKW&colid=25DUA73FO5INO I will be enjoying this when it comes out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
I don't understand what people find so abhorrent about Dragonaut. I really enjoyed it, but this hate is like...completely across the board and insanely high in its intensity. WTF is wrong with the show? >_>;

Well you must have an extremely low standard of entertainment value because that's what Dragonaunt was. It'll probably gain it's majority audience through adolescent teenagers who love seeing big breasted anime girls prancing about or yaoi fangirls who'll die seeing too guys almost kissing each other but then again they've probably already seen the series anyways Laughing
So what's next? Fans who saw Witchblade thinking Dragonaut is a sequel? That'll work, I can only imagine how the actors will keep a straight face during some of the scenes later on. now those are the heroes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 17