• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I don't want to see those shows and I have no real wish to see them.

Then don't. Simples. But stop saying, before you've even watched the show, that other people who might want to see it, or heck, maybe might even enjoy it and want to buy it, shouldn't be able to do so. How very dare they?! Wanting to buy a show that I don't like!
Just because you don't like a show and and thus think it should never ever taint the holy shores of America doesn't mean every other person in the world shares your viewpoint. It's fair enough to be grossed out by the idea (I am also, but that's neither here nor there) but saying what you've said is just insulting to people who do like it.

Somehow, I think Sentai understands the market a heck of a lot better than you do, and I really don't think they would have licensed a show before it even aired if they didn't think it would sell.

PS. I don't think you realise how anti-American you sound. To paraphrase yourself "People shouldn't be allowed to watch this because I don't like it!" Whatever happened to the land of freedom and equality? Laughing
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
OMG, I just realized that Snomaster is The Onion's Jackie Harvey!

I can understand being disgusted by drool as a subject matter. Many people have an aversion to body fluids. But don't get the idea that it is a universal discomfort to even bring up. The way it is presented in MGX is not particularly sensationalistic. the show is not about "a boy and girl drinking each other's drool" is is about a couple weird kids that are uncomfortable with their burgeoning sexuality, it leads to the boy doing something weird, that leads to other weird things.

But don't go talking down to people becasue we don't share your same hang-up.

I actually have a rather strange liquid aversion. I get very uncomfortable, sometimes repulsed, by the recorded sound of running liquids. Radio ads for beer (the ones where they "pour" a glass) make me want to gag.
But I'm not going to lash out at others for not sharing my problem, even if it were a more common problem I wouldn't.

Aside from that, another bit of advice for Snomaster. Have you ever visited Toonzone's forums? I recommend them to you. They have excellent forums that have a focus and community that I think you would you would enjoy much more than ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nottimkai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I watched Nyarko-san earlier today. I'm going to post the twitter posts that I posted as I was watching it.
Quote:

Tim Kai ‏ @djtimkai
*facepalm* I don't ... I don't know what to say right now. Lovecraft is probably gibbering and bubbling in his grave ... #NyarkoSan #Anime

Tim Kai ‏ @djtimkai
I ... I gotta just see what this is. Moe Nyarlethotep ... *shudder* #NyarkoSan #Anime

Tim Kai ‏ @djtimkai
*clutching head in agony* Nyarlathotep ... is a member of the space defense force ... and here to protect the earth ... #Agony #NyarkoSan

Tim Kai ‏ @djtimkai
┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ ≡ ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻ #NyarkoSan #Anime

Tim Kai ‏ @djtimkai
Well, I guess this anime is causing a sense of creeping horror in me ... so I guess that is something orz #NyarkoSan #Anime

Tim Kai ‏ @djtimkai
So both characters have tsundere tendencies & Nyarko is a closet yandere & she loves and will do anything for the main character #NyarkoSan

Tim Kai ‏ @djtimkai
I really wanted to like the #NyarkoSan #Anime but if it is a trope filled otaku-fest the whole way through I will drop it like burning shit.

Tim Kai ‏ @djtimkai
Oh god, now she's a Yamato Nadeshiko as well ... #NyarkoSan #Anime

Tim Kai ‏ @djtimkai
tomboyish childhood friend - check. Creeping horror is resolving itself into my sanity sliding away. IT'S WORKING! #NyarkoSan #Anime

Tim Kai ‏ @djtimkai
Shantak-kun the shantak bird. The way for me to express my emotions now would be to have an atomic explosion with the troll face #NyarokoSan

Tim Kai ‏ @djtimkai
I"M CALLING THIS! NYARKO WILL COME INTO THE BATHROOM WHILE HE'S TAKING HIS BATH AND SKINSHIP WILL ENSUE!!! #orz #NyarkoSan

Tim Kai ‏ @djtimkai
SO, summary of #NyarkoSan - Moe Moe harem girls fawn over a milquetoast male lead for no reason and have to cater to his whims.

Tim Kai ‏ @djtimkai
And they're Lovecraft Mythos horrors, but not really. TT__TT The whole point is that if these things acknowledge humans it is as insects.

The last bit was muddled by '140 character tweets'. The Lovecraft horrors, if they think of humans at all, think of them like we think about cockroaches, annoyances to be tolerated at best, but more likely exterminated.
I am not a fan. In a vain hope that the show isn't exactly what I know it is, I will watch two more episodes. If by that time the show has changed into something else, I'll keep watching it.

Regarding Mysterious Girlfriend X, have you ever kissed anyone using Tongue? This is no worse than that, jesus. I will say, having read the manga since its start (its up to 65 chapters now) - it does not get any less weird. If you didn't like anything about this first episode, you probably won't like future episodes. But it is really an indescribable story. If you can get past the saliva slant, you should try to stick around.

I am pleased with Dusky Amnesiac (sic). I like how they decided to handle the introductory episode. Takes the source material and plays with it. It will be interesting to see how the show continues on.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
nottimkai wrote:
I am not a fan. In a vain hope that the show isn't exactly what I know it is, I will watch two more episodes. If by that time the show has changed into something else, I'll keep watching it.

I don't really know what you would expect it to be. Its exactly what it advertises itself as.

If you are expecting a serious take on the Lovecraftian mythos, I suggest you just bail now.

The show is Keroro Gunso does Lovecraft.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well Fencedude5609,I haven't seen "Elfen Lied" because of it's extreme violence. Thanks for telling me about the scene in which one girl rips another girl's head off on screen. That gives me another reason to avoid it. And "Gantz" as well. I never bought either of those shows and I don't plan to see them anytime soon either.
Look,I know what shows to avoid and stuff like this are among those I avoid like the plague. I don't want to see "Mysterious Girlfriend X,""Elfen Lied," or "Gantz." I don't want to see those shows and I have no real wish to see them.

I have been reading the MGX manga for quite awhile now. It was great news when I heard an anime show was going to be made from the manga. It was fantastic news when I heard that Sentai had picked it up. There is nothing in the MGX manga that would cause it to being dropped by Sentai, nor does Sentai deserve any type of shame for picking this series up. It is a must buy for me, when it eventually comes out on DVD or maybe, even better BD.

The vitriol over this show is jaw dropping and unexpected. Yeah, we get it. Drool tasting is the mark of death for some of you, for the show. Hell, I disagreed with Zac's comments and thought they were exaggerated, but I did find his post humorous as they all tend to be.

I don't think many of the steady readers of MGX would every have thought this nice manga, turned anime, would be treated like the coming of the anti-christ.

-

I have high hopes for 'Sankarea'. It is nice to see another of Hattori Mitsuru's manga adapted for anime, the previous being 'Umisho'. Have my fingers crossed, that someday they might pick up 'Otogi no Machi no Rena' my personal favorite of the author's.

The Spring season seems to be a bumper crop of interesting anime.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I don't think many of the steady readers of MGX would every have thought this nice manga, turned anime, would be treated like the coming of the anti-christ.

That's an exaggeration if I've ever seen one. If you've noticed, other reviewers on ANN have been giving it decent to high marks. What is being treated "like the coming of the anti-christ" is the reactions people are having to Zac's review of it. Pretty hilarious to watch though. Fans who take themselves too seriously can be a riot. Twisted Evil
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

That's an exaggeration if I've ever seen one. If you've noticed, other reviewers on ANN have been giving it decent to high marks. What is being treated "like the coming of the anti-christ" is the reactions people are having to Zac's review of it. Pretty hilarious to watch though. Fans who take themselves too seriously can be a riot. Twisted Evil

Only if you willfully misread most of the commentary, and ignore all the other people (quite a few who somehow never quite got around to actually watching it...) jumping on the train with Zac.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I think that the severity of the reaction has become exaggerated by the controversy. I don't think that anybody thought that the drool uin Mysterious Girlfriend X was immoral, or evil or anything else bad in a churchy sense, but that it was just sort of gross and we didn't want to put up with it. It's somewhat more like my reaction to broccoli than to wantonly murdering small children. Notably, I'm likely to treat one more with hyperbole than the latter.

And for the curious, Rebecca Silverman gave, presumably under some influence from the recent acrimony, Mysterious Girlfriend X something between apathy and a recommendation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

I have no problem with the ANN reviewers, or even Zac. Zac's reviews are always funny in some form or another, and sadly he doesn't do enough of them.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

While the anti-Zac posts have been very annoying and pretty bad in general, there were several other posters commenting on how totally horrible the show is or how they can't believe this type of [expletive] stuff gets made, etc... When you visit other forums, it is the same tune. Several people state that they liked it, but lots of people state that it is too gross.

The ones that bother me are the ones (the most recent being Snomaster1.)that suggest that it shouldn't be made or shouldn't be licensed in the US, particularly the ones that either baldly state that they haven't watched it or make that apparent by their comments. (Like one who said, "I've seen screen-shots" to validate his claim.)

I, personally, have not complained about Zac's review once, but I have defended the show, and suggested that people actually watch it before deciding that it is bad.

I was more offended by Carl's comment at the start of his review than I was by Zac's.
Carl wrote:
What the %$&# is wrong with this season? First there was the show about a necrophile, then the one about guns transformed into sexualized little girls. And now it's drool fetishism? Maybe I'll spend the next three months watching reruns of The Waltons.

Drool fetishism? So he's suggesting that people that like the show have a drool fetish? It is a romance! I have a romance fetish. I love shows about people in love, this one has the main couple declaring their love in episode 1! Great! Lets see how their relationship grows, how it withstands difficulties, insecurity, jealousy, and all the other stuff that goes along with being young and in love! I don't care if their connection to each other is a bit gross. There are worse things that they could do to cement their love than having her stick a damp finger in his mouth!

It's actually kind of charming once you get used to it... Smile

To be "fair", Carl then goes on to "be fair" and make some semi-complimentary comments about the show and suggest if he could get past the grossness, it would be a good show. However, the inflammatory damage of citing MGX as a major part of what's wrong with the state of anime is already out there.

I tend to agree with Key's reviews most of the time anyway... Smile
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
I don't care if their connection to each other is a bit gross. There are worse things that they could do to cement their love than having her stick a damp finger in his mouth!

Sorry dude, but It looks like he's sucking a dick. Maybe this is some sort of futanari thing?
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Only if you willfully misread most of the commentary, and ignore all the other people (quite a few who somehow never quite got around to actually watching it...) jumping on the train with Zac.

I've read through most of it, and the people you're talking about (On ANN anyways) are few.

zensunni wrote:

People tried to claim the same thing with Lotte's Toy. No, it's not charming as the intent is obvious.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

People tried to claim the same thing with Lotte's Toy. No, it's not charming as the intent is obvious.

Lotte no Omocha was terminally charming.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Sorry dude, but It looks like he's sucking a dick. Maybe this is some sort of futanari thing?

Now this, my friends, is homophobic!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
zensunni wrote:
I don't care if their connection to each other is a bit gross. There are worse things that they could do to cement their love than having her stick a damp finger in his mouth!

We've all been pretty raw in this thread but let's try to at least go for a hard PG-13 light R around here, OK? This is over the line.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:

Lotte no Omocha was terminally charming.

THERE IS NO TRUTH BUT FENCEDUDE'S.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 50 of 69