• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Rhyono wrote:
I think Kirito is spoiler[still a complete badass, but Accel World-style time manipulation will beat even the most badass of players.]

Is that what was going on there? I saw someone alluding to evidence of spoiler[An Accel World] connection in another thread, and that would give more credence to Tuor's comment above. It definitely was more of a "pulled it out of his ass" maneuver than anything Kirito has done to date.

I wasn't even thinking about that before, but spoiler[I think you might be right about this being tied to Accel World.] Yea, and for those who didn't see the post in The Stream talkback,spoiler[ Accel World's tie in with SAO is in the most recent episode that just posted yesterday. (Episode 22). So, if you've dropped Accel World you might want to just watch Ep 22.]

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Is that what was going on there?

The reason I think that is because of the spoiler[ticking noise that is correlated to time. It was pretty much "tick" *shield inches farther* and repeat. You could see the anger in Heathcliff's face, which suggested that he went farther than he expected he'd have to.]

Key wrote:
I saw someone alluding to evidence of spoiler[An Accel World] connection in another thread

That was also me. It's extremely hard to over look it when spoiler[Haru was looking at an exact picture of a Nerve Gear. My original comment about the chronology was pretty off-handed, but when I saw the Nerve Gear referenced several episodes later: I was rather surprised that I was apparently correct.] It is being done by the same people, so it's not utterly unexpected.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Also, you didn't really respond to my second point there. Don't you agree that Asuna was clearly more powerful than Kuradeel? In fact, spoiler[what she did in this episode was more or less exactly what I was asking for in episode 8. After she checked to make sure Kirito was OK, she looked at him and was like "I've got this." Then she squashed Kuradeel like a bug.] Why was I so wrong to ask for her to have that same level of confidence and conviction in episode 8? I think I was dead on, given what happened here.

Sorry, just didn't see it as being a separate point. There's no question that she's more powerful than Kuradeel, but spoiler[this is an utterly different situation than episode 8. Here she didn't have to worry about making a bad public impression by beating up one of her own guild members where everyone could see, had massively more incentive to take him on physically, and didn't have anyone else to get rid of the pest for her. And while Asuna seems like a pretty straightforward character, it's not entirely out of the question that she was just playing vulnerable to give Kirito a reason to step up for her and thus a more subtle "out" on separating herself from the guild for a while.] But I know that you weren't too accepting of any of these justifications back in episode 8, so that was probably just a waste of my time. Rolling Eyes

Well, there were several people who were debating with me at some length (including zensunni) that she wasn't more powerful than Kuradeel. As far as the possible justifications you've given, I'm not saying those are not true, but the problem is that the show hasn't given us any specific trigger on any of those. (Such as Asuna saying, "I can't deal with him in public..." or something like that). I'm sure you know as well as I do that you could come up with thousands of justifications for anything, but without having some kind of specific thing from the show pointing at that, it seems to me to be better to just take the most straightforward explanation. In this case, the show was depicting her being afraid and hiding behind Kirito, so it seems logical that the most straightforward explanation is that she didn't fight him because she was scared of him. That just seems to make sense to me. It's not about me accepting your justifications or anyone else's. Like I said, I could come up with dozens of other justifications that might make sense but without something indicating any one of those to be the true explanation, it seems like just speculation.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Disjointed.

With 10 episodes out that feeling is now the dominant one. Even if the series didn't waste it's time with poorly done side stories the romantic development for the lead pair is impaired by series' lack of details which are absolutely necessary to make it work. Implying the time they spent together off screen is not the same as showing it, most importantly because it carries absolutely no weight when supposedly heavy hitting scenes are played later on. Asuna's and Kirito's romantic development is very poorly handled as well, progressing with jerked movements and without actually seeing any of the implied progress what we do see only feels forced. Instead of developing them as a couple, as first two episodes have set up beautifully, Kirito is shown wasting time. It's a waste of time because, again, of how disjointed everything feels. I can see how every early episode has some purpose of either world building or, poorly done, character establishment but the problem is precisely that every episode has some purpose that's not terribly related nor does it advance the story. Ok, enough about the past.

In recent episodes, again, the same feeling of disjointedness is overwhelming. This time it is more of the character based. Even after I assume that Kirito and Asuna are in love I couldn't help but notice two particular scenes that seemingly contradict that. spoiler[First of all, while may seem minor, Kirito did stop himself from embracing Asuna after revealing the guild issue. That shows he still has issues with accepting her. Another scene was when Asuna stopped herself from reaching for Kirito's hand as he just killed a man. Again, to me this seems as rejection, due to fear or confusion, on a very basic level. She couldn't accept him at that moment. So given this I was a little surprised to see her offering herself like that.] I'll say this again, this is disjointed. One can clearly see the harm of the ridiculously cheap "off-screen development" shortcuts in this situation as audience can't tell just what is going on between them.

Not to forget that Asuna is still lacking any kind of plot development that shows her strength (beyond "Oh look at that awzm 'second' guild leader!", or simply weak "she is an idol" excuse). spoiler[She froze on the demon boss fight in episode 9 and did not impress in episode 10 even though she rushed to the rescue of her sweetheart. Oh and her winning against Kuradeel is of no indicator of her strength as the show portrayed him as very weak player (regardless of his level or guild rank)]. Again, other than episode two I have not seen her shine in any significant way.

Oh and the duel between Kirito and Heathcliff in this episode was pretty good, that is why you don't see any comments about it Key, there are simply too many issues with this show that need more immediate attention.

As it is the Sword art online is a mess. I doubt it can improve since its already done by the same staff. Sword art online... you disappoint, I will watch you to the bitter end for this.

And to whoever may concern - don't fool yourselves people they didn't do it, otherwise we would see the two years worth of 'cream' splattered all around the room (chapter 16.5 disappointed me as well, with how unrealistically idyllic it was).

Last edited by Hentai_JP on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, I think the show just introduced my favorite character. spoiler[Too bad he died within minutes.]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
love the weekly complain of the samething for SAO. that mean this series is doing great.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I do find it ironic though how hard it is to simply say something like, "You know what Chibikangaroo, you might be right about your particular point, but..." Especially considering how I was being criticized for supposedly not acknowledging other people's positions. Apparently I get eyerolls and such.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:

And to whoever may concern - don't fool yourselves people they didn't do it, otherwise we would see the two years worth of 'cream' splattered all around the room (chapter 16.5 disappointed me as well, with how unrealistic it was).

Pssh, lets just say the "cream" was crawling in Kirito's skin* hence why it didn't splattered across and around the room.

*Link contains spoilers for episode 10.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or did we seem to import two disposable characters from Fate/Stay Zero? That Godfrey looked and acted a lot like Rider's kid brother.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Episode 10

CHAPTER 16.5, GUYS! CHAPTER 16.5!

spoiler[TWO. YEARS. OF. SEMEN. GLOPPED. ENDLESSLY. INTO. ASUNA.]

I was really disappointed to see Chapter 16.5 cut short.

I actually just read that infamous chapter and...oh god. It was terrible by sheer virtue of being absurdly clinical and boring. It wasn't hilarious. It wasn't disturbing. I like to call it "hilarsturbing"*.

Also Asuna is so OOC in it that it hurts.

*:I didn't actually coin the word
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
I was worried over people full on complaining about the show, but Key talked some sense.

Seriously you guys complain about Asuna getting the spoiler[tables turned when Kuradeel begged, I would have been more annoyed if she finished him off there, would she really throw her humanity out of anger like that. She had choice between Paragon and Renegade, and of course the good choice can lead to being tricked, but that is what sets heroes apart.] Kirito then jumping in spoiler[like that just shows how both characters are equals, when one falls the other will help. Kirito keeping distance from other people, and Asuna's sense of obligation, possibly, I also get a sense she has an issue with older males, maybe some history.]

As for Hearthcliff, it looks like he spoiler[cheated somehow, it might be chance but it looked like he did a brain burst, the sort of thing Accel World tells us is a dirty trick. Him being the creator does not seem to out there, I checked the pictures and there does seem to be some similarities, though Heathcliff looks like a much happier person. Though I like to think the creator has a much better idea of what Laughing Coffin is doing.]
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote

Every move you make, every breath you take...
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
@Hentai_JP A couple weeks into spoiler[their marriage], he'll be out soloing in the middle of the night and she'll notice he's gone and then he'll end up dead for supposedly cheating on her.
salukechechzkov

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:

Every move you make, every breath you take...

I needed that. That was amazing. Lol'd so hard.

Thank you.

And even though I'm a little late to the party, just let me say that the deal is sealed and SAO is definitely my favorite currently airing show. It was kind of teeter tottering back and forth between Jinrui, Hyouka, Space Brothers, and Yamato, but I can deny it no longer- flippin love SAO more than all of them.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
Considering some of the points that have been made, and also my own impressions of the series so far, my conclusion is that the LN author is just... well... he's pretty good at world-building, but ah, not so much at characterization, especially building romantic relationships. I think a lot of what some of us are calling shortcomings with the series can explained by this being true.

What I'm trying to say here is that I don't think he is *intentionally* trying to undermine Asura (if you believe she is being undermined) or knowingly Gary Stuing Kirito. He just doesn't have the chops to do something with more... subtlty? Relationships that build in a more natural seeming way? More... finesse? And the anime guys are just following suit.

If the above is true, then I think we should just stop trying to excessively analyze something that the writers never thought about in the first place. I'm not saying it's laziness, but that this sort of thing is simply not their strong suit. We can speculate and hope that things get more fleshed out in the future, but going based on what I've seen so far, I don't think that's going to happen. I think this is just the style that we're going to get for the remainder of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 42 of 274