• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I wanna be an anime director... but I'm American.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVok

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
komodomitsu wrote:

I have to disagree, anime is a style, even there are styles of anime art inside the style of anime itself. Also they act in a certain way and show emotion in a certain way, which would be a style.

There are styles, yes. A vast number. Not just one, which is what you suggest when you say "anime is a style."

Consider for a moment just the following examples:

Hello Kitty

FLCL

Pokemon

Astroboy

Ergo Proxy

Paranoia Agent

Shin Chan

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Can you really say those shows all have the same style? They're all anime, none more so than any of the others.

The idea that anime is a style or represents a certain style is a gross generalization.
komodomitsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Nah man, I said anime is a style, and anime has styles inside of itself. Loly maybe a better word would be "genre" inside of the style of anime.
If thats what you mean, then theres no real need to get picky about it. Smile
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
komodomitsu wrote:
Nah man, I said anime is a style, and anime has styles inside of itself. Loly maybe a better word would be "genre" inside of the style of anime.

No, that's not what I mean.

What I mean is that anime is not a style. There is nothing that stylistically connects all anime.

The only commonality among anime is its country of origin, Japan. That's all.
komodomitsu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
komodomitsu wrote:

No, that's not what I mean.

What I mean is that anime is not a style. There is nothing that stylistically connects all anime.

The only commonality among anime is its country of origin, Japan. That's all.

Hmm, I guess thats your opinion, but I dont see how its not a style, I dont like it just because it comes from Japan.
TheVok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
komodomitsu wrote:
I don't see how its not a style, I don't like it just because it comes from Japan.

Then let me turn this around and ask you, what exactly makes anime a style? What unites all anime, other than its country of origin?
komodomitsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
komodomitsu wrote:
I don't see how its not a style, I don't like it just because it comes from Japan.

Then let me turn this around and ask you, what exactly makes anime a style? What unites all anime, other than its country of origin?

The facial feature art, the hair art style, the manifested expressions used such as tears drops down the side of their head, detailed backgrounds with lesser detailed moving objects such as the characters. Also the way emotions are expressed in their actions, they are exaggerated in most cases and just basically their whole swagger. The way sexuality is expressed, often exaggerated and never taken seriously. Also the style of its intro and outro, cool but slightly corny music, with words for you to sing along with.

Thats what I can think of, but its mainly the way they act.
BrentNewhall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Okay, let's see if we can break this down.

(What makes anime a style?)

komodomitsu wrote:
The facial feature art, the hair art style, the manifested expressions used such as tears drops down the side of their head

None of this is true of Studio Ghibli movies or Satoshi Kon's works. But they're anime, right?

Quote:
detailed backgrounds with lesser detailed moving objects such as the characters

But this is true of almost all American animation. Check out the backgrounds in a Batman or other Warner Brothers cartoon compared to the foreground characters.

Quote:
Also the way emotions are expressed in their actions, they are exaggerated in most cases and just basically their whole swagger.

How are emotions exaggerated in, say, Patlabor the Movie 2 or Grave of the Fireflies? Who swaggers in those movies? What do you mean by "swagger?" In what way are emotions expressed in anime characters' actions differently than in, say, Batman: The Animated Series?

Quote:
The way sexuality is expressed, often exaggerated and never taken seriously.

The sexuality in Perfect Blue and Boogiepop Phantom aren't taken seriously?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TheVok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Exactly my point. For every generalization we can make about any 'style' of anime, there are so many exceptions that it becomes clear the generalization isn't fair to make.

Anime is probably best defined as an industry ... a really big one, at that, which has spawned over many decades just as much sheer variety in visuals and storytelling as the animated works of any other individual country ... and indeed possibly more than all other countries combined.
BrentNewhall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
On the other hand, we've wandered far off-topic. Whether anime is a style, an industry, a genre, or a fried egg, it's something.

Is it worth emulating, for someone who wants to create animation? I think it rewards study, but I wouldn't worry too much about replicating anime exactly. Use anime as an inspiration, not as a plan or a set of rules.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
komodomitsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Alright I guess, just think about why you like anime better than american animation.

It has gone off topic, but still I dont know how it cant be a style, and still be an industry. But anyway!! I am going to release my own, and its gonna rock (all modesty) Wish me luck, and you too OP. Smile
TheVok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
komodomitsu wrote:
Alright I guess, just think about why you like anime better than american animation.

I don't. My favourite shows are from all over the world. They're not predominantly Japanese.

And Brent, no, this is not far off-topic at all. The original post was asking about how an American might become an anime director. So the reason I've been harping on the definition of anime is exactly that; to point out that for an American to truly become an anime director, you have to follow a path along the lines of Michael Arias' career.

There are plenty of examples of emulating or replicating the styles of certain anime series ... and if that's what you want to do, go for it, wherever you are ... but really you need look no further than Arias' cinematic adaptation of Tekkonkinkreet to see that one anime feature does not necessarily emulate any others.

And that is why, Komodomitsu, anime is not a style. (And no, the fact that it's an industry isn't what prevents it from being a style.) There is quite simply no single style that unites all anime.
Animegal999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
komodomitsu wrote:
I am going to release my own, and its gonna rock (all modesty) Wish me luck, and you too OP. Smile

I'm hope to direct my own anime, too. I've got a really great story in mind. Good luck w/ yours!
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
Zade wrote:
As for reviving the animation industry, I suppose I could try getting the attention of any ambitious American animators by putting ads in/on magazines/magazines/websites and going to conventions (boy wouldn't that be a fun bunch of people gathered in the same room lol).

There's already a convention like that; it's called Siggraph. It just wrapped up in LA last week. The amount of talent crammed into the LA convention center was pretty staggering. As for "managing" and paying animators (and pre-production staff, a post-production house, actors, creative staff, etc), I think you're underestimating the amount of responsibility in shouldering a feature film or running TV series. And there's no way talented, creative American artists are going to leave their union-protected, high-paying studio jobs to jump aboard an unknown project. So unless you're talking like, at least 20 years from now when you have a good amount of swag and connections with producers (which is where the money will come from), this isn't really a plausible plan. It's better to join an existing studio and work your way up.

Quote:
There IS an American director, (he lives in Tokyo and was the director of Tekkonkinkreet) Michael Arias, I should try and contact him.

He's registered over at the AniPages forums, so you might have a decent chance of contacting him there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
narushimo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I was born and lived in Japan for 19 years. I am born and raised Tokyo and was really into the Anime scene as my brother is a former illustrator that moved to the US for better paying opportunities. I have seen so many awsome artist waist their time trying to break into the market even being able to speak the language. I think it's one of those cultural things that the Japanese hold onto dearly. I am a Graduate ART student at Stanford in the US now and I see that it's not about talent because America has awsome iilustrators here in the states that speak fluent languages. As an Illustrator myself, I suggest that people with anime ambitions first seek oportunities here in America with some of the large companies and then look at starting your own novel. Also look at companies that use anime characters in training and organizational capacities and continue to work on your own projects in your spare time. What going to Japan will do, it will give you a chance to see more anime than you see in the U.S. because so much of it is never published on a international scale. Also, learning to translate and even write in Japanese can't hurt your career on advance it. So in short, don't give up on your dream to become a anime writer or illustrator just research it and don't be afraid to do your own thing.
AshleyLuvsYu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
LEARN JAPPENESE!!! thats all i got to say. it's not wrong to chase your dreams. but if you want to achieve it, start from reality and continue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6