• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: South Carolina Student Removed over "Death Note" List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AY War Horse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
It is interesting to see that it has happened before with a similar result. And as has been mentioned above the anime link comes from the fact it was written in Death Note Merchandise and this means it hits the headlines and catches the attention of anime and death note fans.

Thinking back to my school days, which i prefer not to do as it was not a happy time, i must say no matter what happened to me i never thought about the death of my peers and being as i was at a quaker school if such things existed at that time and were found they would be looked at very seriously. At the very least if I am hoping the student takes the time out to think about what they have done and gets some help, which the more i think about this article is the major concern I have.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
BennyMono wrote:
I HATE PEPLE ALWAS HAVING GO AT ANIME.

Deaf note was relly good and not fair that studant had book, he was cool to have book i want book.

I'M GONNA BOYCOT ALL ANIME UNTILL SCHOOL STOPS HAVING GO. KID WASANT GOING TO KILL PEOPLE.

And where is the logic in all this? All you're saying is something incomprehendable to people supposedly attacking the series and then you saying something about boycotts. The anime has not been directly attacked, but if you'll notice, "linked" to the item that was discovered at the school. Which is a Death Note, that carries the same name as the series.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd be calling this move every bit as justified even without Columbine/Virginia Tech/Northern Illinois/what have you. It's a very simple concept. Light writes people's names in the Death Note because he wants them to die. Here you have a kid who's writing names in a "Death Note." Connection, much? I don't care whether it's real or not; killing people isn't something you joke about.
coolmiles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Wow....seems like stupidity really knows no limit. "Oh my god...we must stop him before he usues the terrible Death Note!"

He can't use the Death Note, But he can still use it as a hit list. next thing you know we'll have another Virginia Tech
maichips

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Please. Both parties are at fault. While the school definitely overreacting, that kid is a moron, although I suppose being an ickle pre-teen might explain some of his idiocy. Even if he had no intention to kill them (although we never know), emo kids making death threats is beyond ridiculous.

I'll never say that Death Note is a definite bad influence, but kids who take things so seriously really should not read it. Viz could show the pilot one-shot chapter at the very least; apparently, kids are too stupid to realize that killing=bad from the series, so maybe the pilot would be blatant enough; then again, knowing the intelligence level of our nation's youth...

Then again, Death Note is not initially focused around the morality of the issue of killing, at least not on its surface. Impressionable kids see what they want to see, and in this case, they see someone killing people and getting away with it.

It doesn't matter that Light's goals are just, because anyone can apply skewed logic to them. While Light says, "That man is a murderer and is therefore evil. He deserves to die," a kid might fancy himself righteous with thoughts such as "That teacher gave me an F and is therefore evil. He deserves to die." The heavy message of the show can become clouded when someone views it with a perverse or selfish sense of justice, and only really becomes clear once the end of the show is reached. ((Hopefully no one considers the vague way I put it a "spoiler."))
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
chaosrefugee wrote:

It depends on what you consider an example.

I think I meant to say media influence leading to direct school violence. I know it's...there, I just can't really think of anything...

chaosrefugee wrote:

I get where your coming from and apologize for saying you're assuming things( also swear you had said "all", >.>). However, I just don't understand why the kid would just use it for a notebook when it's got "DEATH NOTE" smack dab on the front but anything is possible. I just hope people learn from this: don't bring death notes to school even if it's for fun or just a notebook and for the love of God don't right names in it (or any other book). It can get you in serious trouble even if you're just joking.

It happens to the best of us. But yeah, I think we're both in agreement here, aren't we?

o_o what if he put "birthday list" on top then wrote names on it?

I wonder... >.>; anyone can conceal that in a regular notebook...Blah, looking too much into it. xD

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
AY War Horse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
BennyMono wrote:

Deaf note was relly good and not fair that studant had book, he was cool to have book i want book.

I'M GONNA BOYCOT ALL ANIME UNTILL SCHOOL STOPS HAVING GO. KID WASANT GOING TO KILL PEOPLE.

The main question i have about this is how do you know for certain that the student was not going to kill the people on the list? We do not know why the student did this or what could of occured if the notebook had not been discovered.

And I agree with fighterholic this was not a direct attack on anime or even on death note, the link to this series was because Death Note merchandise was used and so it is understandable that the link has been made. And please dont take this the wrong way but I also have to agree about the lack of logic in the statement I mean you clearly like anime and so surely boycotting it would just harm you?

Last edited by AY War Horse on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
BennyMono

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
AY War Horse wrote:
BennyMono wrote:

The main question i have about this is how do you know for certain that the student was not going to kill the people on the list? We do not know why the student did this or what could of occured if the notebook had not been discovered.

And I agree with fighterholic this was not a direct attack on anime or even on death note, the link to this series was because Death Note merchandise was used and so it is understandable that the link has been made. I also have to agree about the lack of logic in the statement I mean you clearly like anime and so surely boycotting it would just harm you?
STOP ATTACKEN ANIME, WHY ARE YOU ON THIS SITE IF YOU DON'T LIKE ANIME.

DEATH NOTE RULES MAN. BOYcot anime 2008 until school takes back statement.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
BennyMono wrote:

While I agree with you on the fact that Death Note rules, your other statements are just whack. The school is not "attacking" anime, it's just taking action against a kid with a hit list( or a kill list, whatever you want to call it.). And if you're going to do a boycott, doesn't it make more sense to boycott school, instead of anime? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BennyMono

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
BennyMono wrote:

While I agree with you on the fact that Death Note rules, your other statements are just whack. The school is not "attacking" anime, it's just taking action against a kid with a hit list( or a kill list, whatever you want to call it.). And if you're going to do a boycott, doesn't it make more sense to boycott school, instead of anime? Confused
IF YOU'RE AN ANIME FAN YOU SHOULD STICK UP FOR IT ALL THE TIME, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DEATH NOTE IT IS A ANIME. STOP ATTACKING IT MAN.

I AM OFFICIALLY GOING TO BOYCOT ALL ANIME UNTIL THE SCHOOL SAYS SORRY TO THE STUDENT AND MAKES A STATEMENT ON THIS WEBSITE.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Get serious, really.

Everyone here likes anime, it's part of a reason of concern, but not the majority. A kid has used a book which would be considered obscene on school grounds because of how he used it.

Same thing as using a pencil to stab someone else. It wasn't meant for that purpose, but it can be used that way.

It wasn't the Death Note series itself, it was a student who was writing names down in the notebook. Whether he was trying to be funny, stupid or not, they still have to abide by the school standards.

My selfish side is annoyed that anime is being in the media so negatively, as well as the "paranoia." It's great that it only escalated as names, but it would've been tons worse if he actually used that list later on to kill people. The book is a notebook/novelty. The kid's actions are unknown.

Death Note's realism is the concept of the story, it's not like Naruto or Bleach. With the exception of the shinigami/ book, it could be portrayed as an interesting murder mystery. Kind of like the Bone Collector, or Saw. Except it's an anime, and not that graphic.

Considering that Death Note is an animation (don't just stick anime here anymore), this is most likely a concern with parents, eve though not all animation is meant for young viewers.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
BennyMono wrote:
braves wrote:
BennyMono wrote:

IF YOU'RE AN ANIME FAN YOU SHOULD STICK UP FOR IT ALL THE TIME, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DEATH NOTE IT IS A ANIME. STOP ATTACKING IT MAN.

I AM OFFICIALLY GOING TO BOYCOT ALL ANIME UNTIL THE SCHOOL SAYS SORRY TO THE STUDENT AND MAKES A STATEMENT ON THIS WEBSITE.

Grow up!
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Kid got caught bein' a fool, he'll learn there's a time and a place for this kinda stuff.
BennyMono

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
BennyMono wrote:
braves wrote:
BennyMono wrote:

Grow up!
NO YOU GROW UP, STOP BEING AN ANIME HATER.
Why are the moderators deleting my thread but letting these people start a hate campaign against anime. Come on ANN pull your finger out and stand up for DEATH NOTE!!!

Boycotting anime until they stop making bad press.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
BennyMono wrote:
NO YOU GROW UP, STOP BEING AN ANIME HATER.
Why are the moderators deleting my thread but letting these people start a hate campaign against anime. Come on ANN pull your finger out and stand up for DEATH NOTE!!!

Boycotting anime until they stop making bad press.

I'm afraid Mr. Mono that you are the one who must grow up. There is no " hate campaign" against anime. And no one here is an anime hater. The action that the school took is not an attack on anime or on Death Note, it's an attack to the dumb kid who thought that it would be fun to write people's names on a hit list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9