• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
List your personal top five most overated anime (and do you feel the rankings are fair here?)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
One from me...
Eden of the East. I know a lot of people love it, but I cold never get into it. I loved the first episode, and then the whole thing started speeding down a very steep hill for me. I did not enjoy the characters, Akira seemed more irritating than anything else, and the rest of the cast was either boring, or underdeveloped. And the worst thing of all, the immortal johnny joke that was suitably brought up 100 times in each episode. So all in all, a disappointment. Well, maybe except for the opening song...
anime racket

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
The difference between me and them is that DN DOES have intellectual topics and thought-provoking mixed messages to be found that don't even require much reaching or digging, whereas Evangelion doesn't have any genuine depth or religious philosophy, it's just a fanservicey mecha cartoon about a wimpy bastard who ends up responsible for the deaths of everyone he cares about because he lets everyone play him like a chess piece.

And speaking of Evangelion, I think that right there is the #1 most overrated anime of ALL TIME. And on another related note, Rei Ayanami is not only the easiest role Megumi Hayashibara has ever had in her entire career, she's also barely a character, more like a plot device.

Okay, hold it. I think that you are being completely unfair. Even
if it were true that it was just a fanservicey mecha cartoon the
sheer quality of the series would still make it a masterpiece. Then
you get into the psychoanalysis of the characters the discussion as
to whether or not life is worth living at all and a number of other
easy to see themes.

As for Death Note, I was quite obsessed with it for awhile but it
never made me think much about life or death. To me, it was
simply an action series. Albeit one of the very best I've ever
seen.
vegetatown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Deciding whether or not to buy an anime series solely based on its ANN rating is, IMO, very foolish.

If I come across an anime that looks like it might be interesting, one of the things I'll do is check its rating. I'll also check to see just how many people have rated it and how the ratings are spread out (if it gets consistantly high or low ratings, that interests me). I'll then scoot further down the page and see if there are any reviews of it, and then I'll read the review and take note of who reviewed it. Then, if I'm still undecided, I might take a gander at Wikipedia and try to get a better idea of the plot (while not spoiling myself, which can be tricky). In short, the ANN rating is one tool out of many that I use, and because I don't put everything on it, it works well for me.

Hmmm.... well see this might be a problem. I'm a pretty busy guy so to be honest it would be very hard for me to do such extensive research on a title before attempting to rent it from say Netflix. I also usually try to broaden my horizons from time to time and look for titles I might not otherwise pick up, so as to get a differing perspective--lest i end up watching nothing but shonen/seinen titles. This means that quite often i am shooting in the dark. I can usually do this reliably well with films, but i guess since i am actively involved with the film world I know how to instinctually filter out titles i am not going to enjoy for the most part, with only a few notable exceptions.

For someone like me whom is still a relative beginner when it comes to anime-- I've seen quite a few series but by the looks of things not even a 1/3 of what some of you have--it might be hard to differentiate good anime from bad without something like say a ranking system.
i know I'm being lazy but honestly i thought the ranking system here would be fairly accurate as i have seen quite a few quality titles by looking through it-- mushi-shi, monster, etc. I guess i mistakenly assumed that the ratings here were a little less biased than that displayed at other websites. i wonder though if maybe the tendency for voting bias here could be circumvented by having rankings based on specific genres like I suggested earlier. I mean after all even though not all people think alike its seems more probable to me that a genuine action fan would rank action titles more appropriately then say a drama fan. perhaps if people were only focused on rankings for a respective genre, we wouldn't see as many people giving titles undeserved 1's or 10's just to balance out the rankings. Just a thought anyway...
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
As for Death Note, I was quite obsessed with it for awhile but it never made me think much about life or death.

It's not supposed to--it's supposed to make you think about morality. It twists the viewer's perception of good and evil, of right and wrong, until you're completely unsure of who you want to see victorious.
vegetatown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
It's not supposed to--it's supposed to make you think about morality. It twists the viewer's perception of good and evil, of right and wrong, until you're completely unsure of who you want to see victorious.

You guys still going on about Death Note? you know both your opinions are equally valid right?

personally i liked the show a great deal until L died. not that he shouldn't have died but just personally i felt that after he did they should probably rush to close the series up so as to have a great ending. Unfortunately, I'm not gona lie, I was a little let down when they started getting "L" replacements. Everyone's entitled to their opinion though.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
vegetatown wrote:
You guys still going on about Death Note?

Not quite. What you're witnessing is a clash between an Evangelion fanboy and a Death Note fanboy.

I'm guessing 3 more posts will finally address the age-old challenge: "If an immovable object collides with an indestructible object, what will happen?"

Popcorn?
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It twists the viewer's perception of good and evil, of right and wrong, until you're completely unsure of who you want to see victorious.

OK, cite examples from the series or manga that prove this statement. How are we supposed to root for Light? It is stated in the show by L that he has very childish views on moral issues. Near calls him a simple mass murderer. Beyond that the show marginalizes moral questions - Light's views quickly turn from black-and-white morality to moral relativism. L and his successors generally don't care. Yagami senior was the only one who showed a strong moral stance, but then again people like him apparently die in a world like that.

This is why I had a certain dislike for Death Note. My moral views could not be shaken by a sociopath with a superiority complex. I however was often enough forced to put up with his thought pattern. There are loads of people who can ignore Light and who enjoy Death Note very much, but liking him or even doubting his actions I cannot understand, so please explain.

Last edited by jl07045 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I'm guessing 3 more posts will finally address the age-old challenge: "If an immovable object collides with an indestructible object, what will happen?"

Popcorn?

Maybe for you, but the thread may well get a Moderator to chew on. Or is it the other way 'round?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I think it's silly to argue about this subject, I disagree with mant of the views here, I see no reason to whine about it though. You don't like the Ghibli films I do, are complaining about the Clannad ending again, or understand the lasting appeal of Akira, fine, your loss. But I might as well participate. Not going to debate the choices though, if you disagree, that's just fine. Wink

1. Noir
Listed as one of my least favorite shows, An exercise in frustration, I kept waiting for something to happen that I could care about and it never happened.

2. Utena- deliberately obtuse, mixing symbolism so much it became meaningless, and some of the of the metaphors were so blatant it felt like being bludgeoned (like everything to do with the red car). I hope Penguindrum ends up making just a little more sense, I can take an enigmatic conclusion but Utena just tired me out.

3. Rainbow - It could have been so good, a period drama about a dark post-war period. Instead it was an over-the-top melodrama told with tragic stick figures and some of the worst demonically evil and twisted villains this side of shows about demons. The only thing that discredits my view of the show is that I didn't finish is, I quit after the prison fire.

4. Gungrave - Parts were good but the actual "gungrave" parts gave me nothing. It's not horrible, but I think it's pretty well over-rated by certain audiences. Maybe a highlight of video-game adaptations- but that really isn't saying anything.

5. Fushigi Yugi - I finish with this to fill out a 5 count. It wasn't horrible and I understand why it has its fans but IMO it generally got worse as it went on. More melodrama, soapy and contrived situations, character designs I don't like, the type of "EVIL" villains I really don't like. I see I rated the OVAs pretty low but I seem to have thankfully forgotten the specifics of why I found those specifically so bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Death Note fanboy

I love how in your mind, because I can actually see what makes it good and you can't, I'm just some stupid fanboy.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
vegetatown wrote:

You guys still going on about Death Note? you know both your opinions are equally valid right?

Both valid? They are both entitled to their opinion but the validity of their statements about Death Note are very different. DN is a drama and is pretty from being simply an action series. The example is that if given near omnipotent powers over death itself could or should such power be used to create a better society. The writer supplied us with a story where the main character said yes and the people in power said no. What followed was 108(part of the writer's lesson) chapters of those sides butting heads and the writer concluding it with his/her views on life and death.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
I love how in your mind, because I can actually see what makes it good and you can't, I'm just some stupid fanboy.

LOL!

You're not a "stupid fanboy".

You're a fanboy who is a stupid troll.

Next time, get it right rather than assume, k? Thanks.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
TheSwedishElf wrote:

LOL!

You're not a "stupid fanboy".

You're a fanboy who is a stupid troll.

Next time, get it right rather than assume, k? Thanks.

Whoa. Easy there, PJ. If he's trolling, then report his post and let the mods deal with it. Otherwise, you're just getting yourself in trouble.

As for DN: I disliked Light from the very start, and utterly loathed him very soon afterwards. I couldn't get past the first handful of episodes and felt that the plot had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It didn't twist my morals: it didn't even touch them. Light was, to me, an obviously evil person whose pride was so vast that he had no idea how loathesome a person he really was. I think DN is greatly overrated, but I acknowledge that's my own opinion: if other people like it, good for them, but I do not.

Some people have implied or said that DN is in some way a highly philosophical series. Unless your philosophy is based on towering egotism that goes beyond the bounds of narcassism and far into psychopathy, there isn't much in the way of philosophy going on here other than Might Makes Right. I certainly didn't detect anything particularly profound in the motives of its main character. But YMMV: maybe someone else got something more out of it. Either way, I'm glad I didn't waste anymore time on it than I did, though I have to say that the popularity DN engendered was irksome, though maybe not too surprising.
anime racket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I loved Light Yagami but simply as a cool anti-hero. Unlike some
I simply don't overthink anime series that often. (With the exception
of Eva, of course.) Personally I thought that Death Note was cool
up to the very end.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Whoa. Easy there, PJ. If he's trolling, then report his post and let the mods deal with it. Otherwise, you're just getting yourself in trouble.

Yeah, considering I haven't done ANY trolling, that is a pretty bold statement for him to make.

Quote:
I disliked Light from the very start, and utterly loathed him very soon afterwards. I couldn't get past the first handful of episodes and felt that the plot had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It didn't twist my morals: it didn't even touch them. Light was, to me, an obviously evil person whose pride was so vast that he had no idea how loathesome a person he really was.

I respectfully disagree--I think in the beginning of it all, he rose some pretty damn good points about how flawed the justice system can be. Yeah, his little messiah complex probably should've been a clue that he'd go bad pretty fast, but to me, he didn't really become villainous until he began killing characters simply for being in his way, which even he had originally objected to and wanted to eventually kill Misa for doing, which of course also adds hypocrisy to Light's growing list of bad traits. L's death was what really turned Light into a dislikable character for me, mainly because I actually identified with and kinda attached myself to L, but even then I still had to kinda admire Light's ability to manipulate and plan things so well. And then, they pulled us through one final mind twist in the end, when Light goes on his huge rant about the scum of the world needing to die, which for just a moment kinda makes him look like the one we should be rooting for again, only to violently whip us right back to seeing him as the horrible person he's become when Near points out that Light is no better than any criminal he ever killed.

And in the end, I dunno about anyone else, but I still felt kinda bad for him. I mean, he started off a regular highschool boy who wanted a better, safer world, and thanks to otherworldly elements introduced by a bored sadist who just felt like screwing with the human world, he became a complete monster and died a criminal suffering what was surely a painful death.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7