• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fall 2011 Anime Spotlight

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:
Quote:
Masazumi Honda
VA: Miyuki Sawashiro
Vice President of the student council. She's very serious, skilled in debate, and aiming to become a politician. In the past she underwent gender reassignment surgery in order to succeed the family name, but certain circumstances forced her to stop the process part way. Her lack of breasts is a result of the surgery, but Tori treats her as a girl with tiny boobs.

I was already planning on avoiding Horizon, but at least now I've got a super solid reason to!

I now have a reason to check the show out even though I had no reason to before hand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rowsdower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
rowsdower wrote:
Quote:
Masazumi Honda
Vice President of the student council. She's very serious, skilled in debate, and aiming to become a politician. In the past she underwent gender reassignment surgery in order to succeed the family name, but certain circumstances forced her to stop the process part way. Her lack of breasts is a result of the surgery, but Tori treats her as a girl with tiny boobs.

I was already planning on avoiding Horizon, but at least now I've got a super solid reason to!

I now have a reason to check the show out even though I had no reason to before hand.

Well, good for you.

Meanwhile, I have RL friends who are undergoing gender reassignment, and I think such a character backstory (ESPECIALLY since the last line implies that it's mostly a set-up for "lol titless" punchilnes) is insulting and crass.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:
Quote:
Masazumi Honda

I was already planning on avoiding Horizon, but at least now I've got a super solid reason to! This paragraph made me want to scream.

LOLOL (S)HE'S GOT TINY BREASTS BECAUSE OF A BOTCHED GENDER REASSIGNMENT SURGERY WHO CARES ABOUT HOW (S)HE IDENTIFIES AS A PERSON. TINY BOOBS, ISN'T THAT HILARIOUS, GUYS??

How disrespectful and disgusting.

Schools in real life are full of people who would think that this is funny and hilarious.

Full of people that will label you, tease you, torment you, and play all sorts of jokes and antics on you.

Schools are the last place to expect 'political correctness'.

So other than the futuristic setting, they are probably right in portraying the events that you and I have commented on, since they happen in real life all the time in that age group and at school.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Justin for putting this preview together. I imagine it took a lot of time and effort and I really appreciate it. I now have a better idea of what I want to watch this season.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
rowsdower wrote:
Quote:
Masazumi Honda

Well, good for you.

Meanwhile, I have RL friends who are undergoing gender reassignment, and I think such a character backstory (ESPECIALLY since the last line implies that it's mostly a set-up for "lol titless" punchilnes) is insulting and crass.

I'm not trying to say that Gender reassignment is a bad thing. In fact I am all for it if that is what that person wants. The one thing you have to understand about me is that if something causes a neg reaction with someone that means I will give it a watch (well at least the first episode)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rowsdower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Schools in real life are full of people who would think that this is funny and hilarious.

Full of people that will label you, tease you, torment you, and play all sorts of jokes and antics on you.

Schools are the last place to expect 'political correctness'.

So other than the futuristic setting, they are probably right in portraying the events that you and I have commented on, since they happen in real life all the time in that age group and at school.

Except I strongly suspect that the tone the series will take to this bullying is "lololol main character totally has a point re: titlessness! What a knee-slapper! Here, have the same joke about how (s)he doesn't have boobs at least once every episode. YOU'RE WELCOME."

You are right; it's realistic for people to make jokes about something like that. But just because it's realistic doesn't make it excusable or any less cruel. And it'd be one thing if the behavior was shown as hurtful and improper with real repercussions, but I strongly doubt that's what's going to happen here.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
One other thing to be pointed out. This is anime created in Japan, not the United States. Such issues and sensitivities are, for the most part, meaningless.

One culture's mores is fodder for another's.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Age or Ace looks HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
The one thing you have to understand about me is that if something causes a neg reaction with someone that means I will give it a watch (well at least the first episode)

So you watch absolutely everything? What show doesn't get a negative reaction from a portion of the audience? Your reasoning is as bad as hating something just because it's popular.
Mirri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
The Fate/Zero description reads:
Quote:
In Fate/stay night, fans watched the fourth Holy Grail War; in Fate/Zero, they can see the events which took place ten years prior to the original anime and visual novel's story, which would have a strong impact on the war. The tale revolves around Kiritsugu Emiya, the foster father of Fate/stay night protagonist Shiro Emiya.

spoiler[In Fate/Stay Night the fifth Holy Grail War was taking place, in Fate/Zero the fourth Holy Grail War is shown. ]
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
The one thing you have to understand about me is that if something causes a neg reaction with someone that means I will give it a watch (well at least the first episode)

So you watch absolutely everything? What show doesn't get a negative reaction from a portion of the audience? Your reasoning is as bad as hating something just because it's popular.

I tend to mean large amounts of negativity towards a show (something like Kiss x Sis for example). Stuff that I know most people do not like is what I check out.
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
If Bandai decides to stream Gundam AGE, I will watch it, even with the character designs as is.

I already am going to watch Last Exile and Fate/Zero, but of the other series in this spotlight, the only ones that look interesting to me are Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, Phi-Brain, Persona 4, Shana III (final) and maybe Guilty Crown.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope someone simulcasts Chihayafuru (and makes it available in my country!) it's one of my most anticipated shows of the fall season.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Really can;t wait for:

I;ve been waiting 3 or 4 years for the anime adaption of Mirai Nikki so that;s my most anticipated title of the season. The manga is already finished so hopefully it'll be a decent adaption...and not too rushed in an attempt to cram everything into 26 episodes.

Also looking forward to:

Persona 4- Love the game and i think it can be a solid anime

Hunter X Hunter- Fan of the manga but never watched the original anime so I;m interested in seeing how this turns out.

Gundam AGE- Not a huge Gundam fan, but I do wanna try getting through at least one Gundam series so I figure I'll start here. The fact that it looks a but kiddy doesn't bother me.

Fate/Zero- Liked Fate/Stay Night so I'll see how the prequel works out

Bakuman Season II- Liked season 1 and love the manga

Shakugan no Shana III- Haven;t seen season 2 yet but I liked season 1 so I'm very interested in this.

Gonna try out:

Guilty Crown
Phil Brain: Puzzle of God
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Out of the 5 spotlighted anime, you managed to cover 3 out of the 5 I was interested in for the season and possibly turn me on to 1 more. I can't thank you enough for this new feature. I hope next time you can get the cooperation of more studios and have more featured shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11