• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma 1/2 Manga Gets New Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:35 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
utawoutau wrote:
A whole anime dedicated to my most hated trope, “Angry girl physically beating the crap out of a guy for something innocuous or a misunderstanding”.

Hard pass

Oh great, physical abuse passed off as comedy. Pass.

Yeah. There werent punches in Inuyasha but whenever the protagonist says something that might come across as a bit rude.... "Sit down!" Still it had Miroku's really questionable hand which is put downright everywhere from openings to movies. Rinne tried a more chill dynamic between the two leads
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:43 pm Reply with quote
The modern internet Discourse around Happosai is gonna be glorious, and I'm all for it.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:43 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Zhou-BR wrote:
I think it's flat-out unfair that Ranma 1/2 never got a full adaptation even though it ran for so many episodes and OVAs, so I'm tentatively excited about the new anime as long as they promise to cover the manga's last 4 volumes for the first time ever.

Wasn’t that because the TV ratings cratered or something during it’s original run?

In those days authors would just keep churning out sitcom Manga volumes without any plot advancement until they stopped selling or the Author got so bored they had to stop. Once the anime that was boosting sales was cancelled it was time to wrap up the Manga. In Ranma 1/2 case Films 1991-1993, OVA 1993-1996 with the last OVA released in Jan 1996 so the Manga was wrapped by the fourth week of Mar 1996 in weekly format (Weekly Shonen Sunday 1996 Vol.12) and with the final Tankoban volumes released in April and May 1996.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:04 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Wasn’t that because the TV ratings cratered or something during it’s original run?

Even after the TV series ended back in 1992, they kept the anime going with OVAs and a third movie until 1996, the same year the manga ended, which means there was still demand for Ranma 1/2 back then. That's why I think the show deserved at least a movie or a feature-length OVA adapting the manga's final arc to give fans some closure.
Amritzer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:08 pm Reply with quote

What else pre 2000s is left for a remake?

Original Gundam?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:36 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
In those days authors would just keep churning out sitcom Manga volumes without any plot advancement until they stopped selling or the Author got so bored they had to stop.

I couldn’t imagine what kind of hell reading that at the time had to be like especially when the end of the manga eventually came out with aforementioned bullshit.

Zhou-BR wrote:
Even after the TV series ended back in 1992, they kept the anime going with OVAs and a third movie until 1996, the same year the manga ended, which means there was still demand for Ranma 1/2 back then. That's why I think the show deserved at least a movie or a feature-length OVA adapting the manga's final arc to give fans some closure.

Unless it would’ve seen Ranma & Akane actually get married which didn’t happen in the manga you wouldn’t have really given the fans closure.
Geoduck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:13 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
utawoutau wrote:
A whole anime dedicated to my most hated trope, “Angry girl physically beating the crap out of a guy for something innocuous or a misunderstanding”.

Hard pass

Oh great, physical abuse passed off as comedy. Pass.

That's a pretty major misrepresentation of the series.
meronichan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:51 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:

Hard pass

I feel you. Takahashi's brand of "romance" isn't really my cuppa, never has been. As someone else said before, this series in particular has a lot of topless scenes of the female cast (primarily female Ranma), as well as a gross panty-thieving old man, which they may either tone down or delete entirely (for good reason). None of this has aged well at all. I'm happy people who like this work are getting new material, but personally I would have chosen either a different work of hers, or,...a different mangaka.
meronichan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:

What else pre 2000s is left for a remake?

Original Gundam?

I can think of about 30+ shoujo/josei anime off the top of my head that are in desperate need of a reboot/remake. But, you know,...we'll just go through all the titles from the well-known shounen mangaka first, I guess.
Amritzer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:08 pm Reply with quote
meronichan wrote:
I can think of about 30+ shoujo/josei anime off the top of my head that are in desperate need of a reboot/remake. But, you know,...we'll just go through all the titles from the well-known shounen mangaka first, I guess.
But for most part only popular old anime get remakes, or?

Not because of "need", but because they will sell.
meronichan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:
But for most part only popular old anime get remakes, or?

Not because of "need", but because they will sell.

Yeah, sadly. There's a reason I barely watch anime. Laughing
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I only watched the first 3 or 4 seasons of the original, so curious to see how this goes. A complete adaptation would be great to see.
If the rumors mentioned above are true though, it's too bad it won't be done by the same team as UY. That was a great adaptation it terms of presentation.
Shuichi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:59 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Ranma 1/2 was cancelled rather early due to low ratings. So they slightly reworked the series (for example showing some episodes out of order which had more suspense in it), added the subtitle “Nettohen”, aired the series at an earlier time slot. The end of the series on TV was rather the result of one of the animation studios, Kitty Films, getting in financial trouble.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Yay!

I think Ranma 1/2 might have been the first anime I watched (or maybe it was Speed Racer).
But the funny thing is that I never saw Ranma when it aired in the US and I’ve never seen the English version of it. I would catch it when I would go visit family over summer in Mexico. That was one of the things I looked forward to when I went over, catching Ranma 1/2.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Yay!

I think Ranma 1/2 might have been the first anime I watched (or maybe it was Speed Racer).
But the funny thing is that I never saw Ranma when it aired in the US and I’ve never seen the English version of it. I would catch it when I would go visit family over summer in Mexico. That was one of the things I looked forward to when I went over, catching Ranma 1/2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11