• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Worst Anime of Spring 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:16 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

Also, I am following Mysterious Disappareances and the Well-Endowed Writer and, lewd "jokes" aside, I think the story is quite interesting. (I dropped Mieruko-chan because of the fanservice and Dark Gathering because they doubled down on the gore.)

If you dropped the anime adaptation of Mieruko, maybe try the original manga version. Not only it has less prominent fanservice, but it also disappears quite quickly, as I assume author changes focus of the manga.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:19 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Daerian wrote:
I'm surprised at people hating on Demon Slayer, I found character introductions and their interactions very fun and interesting. It's a change of style, but not for the worse.

Ditto. Is not as if were late Naruto seasons, where 1 of every 4 episodes was NOT filler. They are adapting the manga step by step, and that involves seasons were nothing happened in order to build up the final final battle.

Also, I am following Mysterious Disappareances and the Well-Endowed Writer and, lewd "jokes" aside, I think the story is quite interesting. (I dropped Mieruko-chan because of the fanservice and Dark Gathering because they doubled down on the gore.)

As someone who does like demon slayer, finished the manga and buys Zenitsu themed merch when I can but dropped the anime, I'd say the issue with the demon slayer anime is that it's trying to drag out an incredibly fast paced manga to last as long as humanly possible. The manga was incredibly fast, to the detriment of some characters but it did do what it wanted to and peaced out, technically it should be a nice thing for the anime to go at a slower pace. Except what the manga was missing were arcs to flesh out certain characters and conflicts while the anime half the times just literally makes every single moment last 2 minutes longer than it needs to.
HybridMedia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:35 pm Reply with quote
For me, the worst anime of the season is Wind Breaker. The show was fine at first but the more the story goes, the duller and repetitive it got with the fights. Not to mention, I couldn't give a damn about any character on there, especially the lead. The whole tsundere guy thing became old too fast.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:31 pm Reply with quote
MiniMarps wrote:

Maybe, just maybe -- and this is gonna sound wild, I know, but hear me out: if the American companies are causing problems for no one but Toei, maybe Toei's the one with the problem?!

Or it's possible Girls Band Cry was passed over by the American companies? People are quick toy ell at Toei and blame them (with no proof besides hearsay and speculation) but I'd also put a few cents to those saying it's possible the series was just passed over.

It can be highly plausible that somebody-somewhere declined to license GBC because they assumed it wouldn't be a hit in the West and decided to skip. But with the show seemingly living up to the hype and more fans demanding a license, maybe it'll happen later on.

It's also worth noting that (from what I've seen) this is Toe's newest shoujo series in a very long time. Maybe that--coupled with the animation style--made it unappealing to licensors and nobody expected it to succeed. Who knows. But I don't agree with joining the Toei Hate Bandwagon just because GBC wasn't licensed, and I think we should be fair to them and consider other possibilities instead of posting passive-aggressive options.

And as for that quote, I was mainly addressing this:

Quote:
Toei, to me, seems like a company that is cripplingly behind on the times, thinking it's still 2006 and the only anime that sell are shonen action series.

Again, what if it wasn't Toei's choice? What if--and this might ruffle a few feathers, may even cause a few wars but bear with me--nobody wanted to license it. We may never know since nobody here was a fly on the wall to find out what really happened behind the scenes.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:48 pm Reply with quote
So uh, I guess I'll have to be that one guy and just say it right here and now:

My Hero Acedemia

For them to just kill off, the best character in my opinion, spoiler[Star and Stripe], in such a quick, early, and face palming way is a real sin in my eyes.
I mean, I knew it happened already in the manga, but even so, it's like, really, REALLY?

So yeah, for me that's the biggest disappointment of the season. The year, possibly.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:57 pm Reply with quote
HybridMedia wrote:
For me, the worst anime of the season is Wind Breaker. The show was fine at first but the more the story goes, the duller and repetitive it got with the fights. Not to mention, I couldn't give a damn about any character on there, especially the lead. The whole tsundere guy thing became old too fast.

Although I'm unsure I'd call it the worst, it is pretty annoying how much time is spent on the obvious problems of another, less interesting gang when it feels like we still barely know our main characters. The fight sequences look great, but it's harder to be hyped for them when they're in service of that.

I'll still be watching the show, but admittedly I'm slightly behind right now because of how boring that whole affair was.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:09 pm Reply with quote
MiniMarps wrote:
Nipasu wrote:
MiniMarps wrote:
I just don't get how they figured there wouldn't be any demand for Girls Band Cry, after the latest entry into the veeery similar Bang Dream franchise won some publications' Anime of the Year last year.

If Toei had no plans to distribute it in the West, why license it to France?

And why would their USA YouTube account upload an English sub trailer? Why bother promoting a show that wasn't going to be licensed for English speakers?

Quote:
Toei, to me, seems like a company that is cripplingly behind on the times, thinking it's still 2006 and the only anime that sell are shonen action series.

Or maybe the American companies (especially those focused solely on anime) don't want to license the non-Shonen content?

You say it like Crunchyroll and Hidive weren't both STACKED with non- shonen action shows this season, when in fact my watchlist, as someone whose interests an anime like GBC appeals to, was longer this season than it's been in a long time. Doga Kobo, 8-Bit, EMT2, and so on, what about them? They just-so-happened to miraculously avoid this problem those dastardly American companies caused for Toei?

Maybe, just maybe -- and this is gonna sound wild, I know, but hear me out: if the American companies are causing problems for no one but Toei, maybe Toei's the one with the problem?!

And any arguments of "It's all the American licnesors fault" come crashing down when one realizes that the case of GBC is far from unique. Most recent, maybe. But they've been reluctant, at best, to licence their stuff out. And some titles got screwed over because of Toei's interference -- Transformers fans still want official releases of Scramble City and Zone for completionist sake, and they blocked 4kids from doing Doremi unless they also did One Piece (and that led to one of the most notorious anime dubs in history). To say nothing about how outside of the Adventure-related stuff, Digimon's anime haven't been licenced after Xoros Wars.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:05 pm Reply with quote
There are a few other titles last season that to this moment still aren't licensed (Rinkai comes to mind), so why only GBC (and to a degree, Toei) got singled out?

Anyway, kinda disappointed in High Speed Etoile. Partly (for me) because Takuya Fujima's design isn't translated quite well into CGI. Sad
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:34 pm Reply with quote
As usual, I really don’t have a worst, since I’ve liked everything I’ve been watching. So unless there’s an ending that absolutely ruins one of my shows, my opinion will not change.

This only time I’ve mentioned a “worst” on here was a disappointment, and that was only one of two seasonal disappointments in my entire anime watching career (I’ve dropped four shows, two were fine until they went in a direction I didn’t like, one I was personally bored by and one got too sexy for my liking although I didn’t think the show itself was bad in the sense that I wouldn’t recommend it to fans of that kind of show).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nipasu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:35 am Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:

And any arguments of "It's all the American licensors fault" come crashing down when one realizes that the case of GBC is far from unique. Most recent, maybe.

I'd say t's a unique case because of it's recent. It seems like most of Toei's latest animated series are given Western licensing. And if Toei was reluctant to bring GBC to the West then surely they wouldn't have licensed it over to ADN (then again I know nothing of their escapades).

But whether it was Toei or the licensors, I think the possibly of GBC being under-rated and now viewed as a viably attractive IP is at least a bit plausible. But seeing how well it has been doing--and the growling demand for legal streams--maybe it will get licensed in the near future. I'm cautiously optimistic GBC will be licensed to the wider West, either this year or possibly next year.

But the skipped simulcast is, in my delusional opinion, a toss up. Fact is nobody knows what happened, but it seems there was a lot of other shows that were skipped and I don't know if the other companies are to blame too. I'm just happy that GBC at least grew a fanbase and proved that there's an international interest in the series (and I still believe it will be licensed; the only question is when).
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Re:Monster was a disappointment given it's high regard before airing. The character is too overpowered to the point where there isn't any conflict. It's like watching someone play a game where they control the rules. Enemy too hard? Suddenly the hero is twice as powerful. There's no challenge because the hero can level up when he wants to. And when it comes to relationships, this guy is a cult leader.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
So uh, I guess I'll have to be that one guy and just say it right here and now:

My Hero Acedemia

For them to just kill off, the best character in my opinion, spoiler[Star and Stripe], in such a quick, early, and face palming way is a real sin in my eyes.
I mean, I knew it happened already in the manga, but even so, it's like, really, REALLY?

So yeah, for me that's the biggest disappointment of the season. The year, possibly.

It's also stupid in the manga for the same reasons, but at least there, week-to-week, it was over a month of chapters and a bit more tolerable.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:15 pm Reply with quote
The_Daytona_500 wrote:
Key wrote:
Of the titles mentioned by the reviewers, The New Gate is a legitimate contender for worst title of the season (and my #2 pick for this "honor") for all the reasons Richard mentioned, Unnamed Memory is easily the most disappointing (and my #3 pick), Demon Slayer was the most boring, and Slime does deserve special mention for spending literally half or more of the season showing the characters in meetings.

However, one series tops (bottoms?) them all. You can't truly say you've watched the worst of the season if you haven't watched The Banished Former Hero Lives As He Pleases. Rarely have I seen a series so miserably fail at absolutely everything it tried to do, whether technically or in storytelling or characterization senses. Its only positive merit is having one of the season's best EDs.

EDIT:
The_Daytona_500 wrote:
Imagine having anything but Yuru Camp last in a season that contains Yuru Camp. Though Yaiba gave it a serious run for it's money

This one baffles me. I can understand how some may not get into YuruCamp, but it is its own thing and is as delightful as ever at doing what it does.

Yuru Camp has 2 problems. Other than Rin and to a lesser degree Nadeshiko, this show's entire main cast is as insufferable as Zenitsu is in Yaiba. I could tolerate the first season when Rin and Nadeshiko had almost the entire screentime, but from S2 it's been painful. The other problem is this show is about camping, the most boring thing in existence. To make a show with this topic even remotely interesting, you need a very strong cast, so lacking that, the show is a recipe for disaster.

This is honestly the first time I've ever seen someone be critical of Yuru Camp. Any time I see someone talk about it, they usually treat it like the second coming of Christ, lol.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:24 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
kgw wrote:

If you dropped the anime adaptation of Mieruko, maybe try the original manga version. Not only it has less prominent fanservice, but it also disappears quite quickly, as I assume author changes focus of the manga.

There was only two or three fanservice shots in all of Mieruko-chan, tbh .. Plus it's like G Rated levels of tame. We're not talking about Gushing Over Magical Girls here, lol
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:13 pm Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:

This is honestly the first time I've ever seen someone be critical of Yuru Camp. Any time I see someone talk about it, they usually treat it like the second coming of Christ, lol.

That is because Yuru CampΔ is the most fun to watch show (and not just anime) of all time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6