• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2022

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to see some shows like Attack on Titan Final season part 2 and Chainsaw Man, but out of the stuff I've seen Kaguya-sama season 3 is probably my 2022 favourite.

Rent-a-girlfriend season 2 was probably the worst thing I saw this year. The story doesn't move, the male lead is unlikable and zero chemistry with the female lead. The show just sucks. She Professed Herself Pupil of the Wise Man maybe gets a dishonorable mention.

As for OPs and EDs, there not really an OP that really sticks out for me. I guess I really grew to like Classroom of the Elite season 2's opening for some reason. I think I really liked Muv-Luv Alternative season 2's opening (really liked the first opening too). Doesn't hold a candle to 0-Gravity, but still pretty good. For EDs Shadows House season 2 had an amazing ending theme. The first ending theme has better lyrics but I like the more dramatic singing of the second ending theme. Also Overlord season 4's ending theme was really good. Every Overlord ED has been good (and OP) and they also always have amazing art.

The poll results for the worst anime of 2022 is some really mind-boggling stuff. Jesus.
Blazi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:19 pm Reply with quote
There were a lot of incredible tracks this year, but my top 5 has to be this:

Top 5 Openings:
5. Arknights: Prelude to Dawn "ALIVE" by ReoNa
4. Isekai Ojisan "STORY" by Mayu Maeshima
3. Kaguya-sama: Ultra Romantic "GIRI GIRI" by Masayuki Suzuki
2. Ya Boy Kongming! "Chiki Chiki Bam Bam" by QUEENDOM
1. Call of the Night "Daten" by CREEPY NUTS

Top 5 Endings:
5. My Dress-Up Darling "Koi no Yukue" by Akari Akase
4. Summertime Rendering "Kaika" by Cadode
3. Arknights: Prelude to Dawn "BE ME" by Doul
2. Bocchi the Rock! "Karakara" by Kessoku Band
1. Kaguya-sama: Ultra Romantic "My Nonfiction" by Makoto Furukawa & Konomi Kohara

Best Sound Overall:
Bocchi the Rock!
JustMonika

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I have yet to see some shows like Attack on Titan Final season part 2 and Chainsaw Man, but out of the stuff I've seen Kaguya-sama season 3 is probably my 2022 favourite.

Rent-a-girlfriend season 2 was probably the worst thing I saw this year. The story doesn't move, the male lead is unlikable and zero chemistry with the female lead. The show just sucks. She Professed Herself Pupil of the Wise Man maybe gets a dishonorable mention.

As for OPs and EDs, there not really an OP that really sticks out for me. I guess I really grew to like Classroom of the Elite season 2's opening for some reason. I think I really liked Muv-Luv Alternative season 2's opening (really liked the first opening too). Doesn't hold a candle to 0-Gravity, but still pretty good. For EDs Shadows House season 2 had an amazing ending theme. The first ending theme has better lyrics but I like the more dramatic singing of the second ending theme. Also Overlord season 4's ending theme was really good. Every Overlord ED has been good (and OP) and they also always have amazing art.

The poll results for the worst anime of 2022 is some really mind-boggling stuff. Jesus.

I'm sad no love was given to Rent-a-Girlfriend.. I'm probably just bias since I own this, lol

https://twitter.com/Solidgearmara/status/1550626218764079104?t=PmXOC5IKe0uo0-1XW691JA&s=19
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:26 am Reply with quote
kwchou1 wrote:
Can someone explain the worst series mega poll results? There have been years (most prob) where I'm think several of the bigger/higher rated/top shows were just OK, maybe even a few I might vote for worst rated, but 10 seems like a lot. Is it legitimate or just backlash for shows getting pub that people felt was undeserved?
While this question should be "explained" by Key or Lynzee, to my eyes it is a simple tally with three categories. Note that the lists for best and worst have the same entries as far as I can tell, so the distributions should to some extent be inverses of each other. That is if a majority for example vote Spy x Family as "best", it would appear as #1 best and should be near the bottom of the "worst" category and vice versa for "worst".

However, it is possible that Spy Family could be voted in equal numbers in "best" and "worst" categories, likely by different groups of respondents, with the result that it would be #1 best and #1 worst in the tally at the same time. Also note that the results this year are evolving in real time and likely won't be frozen for a few days. Yesterday Spy Family was #1 best but today it comes in at #11 best with a strangely skewed distribution, as if a bunch of people in the last 24 hours voted heavily for a group of only 12 shows as best and worst. The number of responses between 850 to 770 pops up too often among each of the top 10 shows to be statistically likely.
Badonkers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:36 am Reply with quote
What happened to the poll? The last time I checked, the top 2 worst anime was Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World, and Rent-A-Girlfriend S2. Then it suddenly became Chainsaw Man and My Dress Up Darling. Did this poll become rigged as hell?!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:40 am Reply with quote
Well, judging by the Worst List, that's pretty obviously been gamed, since exactly 10 series (all very popular series to boot) received ~36-38% of the votes cast, while from 11th worst nothing got more than 7.6% of votes.

The Best list is a bit less clear cut, but as much as I enjoyed the series, I have trouble believing 833 people have even heard of Kotaro Lives Alone, especially since only 184 people claim to have seen part or all of it on its Encyclopedia page. Smile Compare that to Executioner's 661 viewers, though Kotaro is currently ahead by 7 votes.

Of course I realize that not everyone rates the series they've seen in the Encyclopedia, probably not even most people, but it's still somewhat useful to get a rough idea of relative viewership.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:21 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
kwchou1 wrote:
Can someone explain the worst series mega poll results? There have been years (most prob) where I'm think several of the bigger/higher rated/top shows were just OK, maybe even a few I might vote for worst rated, but 10 seems like a lot. Is it legitimate or just backlash for shows getting pub that people felt was undeserved?
While this question should be "explained" by Key or Lynzee, to my eyes it is a simple tally with three categories. . .

However, it is possible that Spy Family could be voted in equal numbers in "best" and "worst" categories, likely by different groups of respondents, with the result that it would be #1 best and #1 worst in the tally at the same time. Also note that the results this year are evolving in real time and likely won't be frozen for a few days. Yesterday Spy Family was #1 best but today it comes in at #11 best with a strangely skewed distribution, as if a bunch of people in the last 24 hours voted heavily for a group of only 12 shows as best and worst. The number of responses between 850 to 770 pops up too often among each of the top 10 shows to be statistically likely.

Yes, what you're referring to is just the straight, unweighted results.

And yes, it absolutely looks to me, too, like someone (or perhaps a group of someones) is trying to skew the charts. AoT and MiA being #1 and #2 at this point is totally believable; both have long been popular here. Call of the Night I can buy, too, as it was a much-talked-about show. I could see Reincarnated as a Sword being fairly popular, but on almost 40% of the lists seems improbable. And Vermeil in Gold being on considerably more lists than Chainsaw Man, Bocchi the Rock, Kaguya-sama, My Dress-Up Doll, Mob Psycho, Lycoris Recoil, and Akiba Maid War? It wasn't a bad series but wasn't even popular enough to get voted in for weekly reviews (unlike the others mentioned) and has only niche appeal, so it being on 36% of lists is tremendously suspicious.

And I don't think there's any question that the Worst list can't be regarded as credible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Glordit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:46 am Reply with quote
Forgot about the OP's and ED's.
I'm too lazy to look up all the names of the artists and song tiles so I'll just dump the shows names here. Also, there was way too many to make a top 5 of each.

Favourite OP's
Hoshi no Samidare (1 & 2)
Chainsaw Man
Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou
Paripi Koumei
CHIMIMO
Kami Kuzu☆Idol
SHINE POST
Teppen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yurei Deco
BIRDIE WING: Golf Girls' Story
Koi wa Sekai Seifuku no Ato de
Summer Time Render (1)
Kaijin Kaihatsubu no Kuroitsu-san
Gaikotsu Kishi-sama, Tadaima Isekai e Odekakechuu

Favourite ED's
Hoshi no Samidare (1 - 3)
Chainsaw Man (1 & 3)
Paripi Koumei
Onipan!
Lycoris Recoil
Kotarou wa Hitorigurashi
Shenmue the Animation
Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei shitemita. r=1-sinθ (Heart)

---

The poll was probably botted/cheesed. almost 800 votes for 10 shows are way too suspicious.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:51 am Reply with quote
I just realized, reading the Best Music article, that I barely even remember the OP/ED of the (not many) shows I watched this year, let alone recall any that I particularly liked. The only music moments I remember are the scenes from Inu-oh, MYSTEEEEEEEEEEERIOUS from Koukyuu no Karasu, and Dance Dance Danseur actually using the song from The Piano, which was pretty cool from the anime team. So I guess for me the winner this year is Avu-chan from Queen Bee, by default. They're awesome, though, so I have no complaints.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:33 am Reply with quote
It’s been a while since I saw the worst results, I took the poll very soon after it launched (and I don’t know how to access it again). I saw a couple shows I expected to be on there near the top.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:36 am Reply with quote
Didn't SMT V get released in 2021?
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:37 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
It’s been a while since I saw the worst results, I took the poll very soon after it launched (and I don’t know how to access it again). I saw a couple shows I expected to be on there near the top.

You can see the poll results here. Or by going to "My ANN" tab and then going to "Surveys" under Public.

Last edited by Cam0 on Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:37 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
You can see the poll results here. Or by going to "My ANN" tab and then going to "Surveys" under Public.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh geez, those polls are skewed. I’m not interested in the affected shows at all but I feel bad for their fans that people are doing this. I do hope that the article discounts those skewed results, because that’s just not fair.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:50 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Cam0 wrote:

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh geez, those polls are skewed. I’m not interested in the affected shows at all but I feel bad for their fans that people are doing this. I do hope that the article discounts those skewed results, because that’s just not fair.

Same, I just took a look to see what was happening, and wow, that's just wild. I'm not invested in any of those shows enough to be particularly angry (I did vote for Blue Lock in the Best category as one of my favorites this year, but eh, end of the day this is just a silly popularity poll anyway), but yeah. It's kind of pathetic, too, I mean investing all this energy and effort in something so utterly inconsequential... just imagine if haters put all that enthusiasm into like, curing cancer or something.

Come to think of it, btw, don't you need an account to vote in the first place? There's either a whole lot of sleeper agents here, or someone just registered a bot army...

Last edited by SHD on Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:33 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Come to think of it, btw, don't you need an account to vote in the first place? There's either a whole lot of sleeper agents here, or someone just registered a bot army...

I think you don't need an account to vote, no - can't check for sure because it just closed

As for movies I have no opinion for I have watched none that came out 2022. Well I watched three anime movies on the cinema in 2022, but they're all 2021 movies

Last edited by killjoy_the on Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12