• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kakegurui Writer Homura Kawamoto's Isekai Revenge Manga Canceled After 1 Chapter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moontei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:01 am Reply with quote
I also find it kind of bizarre that the Kakegururi writer would be behind this. Almost feels like something he did as a dare after losing a bet or something. But if he really was set on doing this premise, he should have not made the parody's practically carbon copies design and even name wise lol. As mentioned earlier, I'm sure he would have gotten away with no problems if he had actually combined and melded a few of the characters and archetypes like Re:Creators did.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:56 am Reply with quote
Huh, I actually really like most of Kawamoto's work (including his last attempt at Isekai, with that lawyer manga which I thought was pretty inspired), so I would've actually been interested in seeing where this went, even if I wasn't super fond of the premise. Kawamoto has never struck me as a malicious or mean-spirited writer before this either, so I'm actually quite curious if this series would've actually ended up as just a pure revenge fantasy or would've become something different halfway through.

Well, guess we'll never find out now. Not a huge loss, though, since Kawamoto is still working on both Kakegurui and Majo Taisen, so it's not like he's getting a big hit to his career, or we're missing out on Kawamoto's writing. (Actually, now that I think about it... how was he going to fit this new series into his schedule, since he's already doing two series already?)
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:09 am Reply with quote
Decided to see if someone had translated the chapter itself, and kinda enjoyed it. Well, the spoiler[rape] in it I really didn't like...but with them looking like being the first fight the MC would undertake, wouldn't have minded seeing them be taken out first. Luis Crawford looked like they'd be the first killed, who was meant to be...Shin Wolford from Wise Man's Grandchild.

Thought it would've been a bit interesting to see how the people of the world viewed the isekai protags in it. Oh well.

Would've preferred of Crawford didn't do the exact act he did, and some other things were used to show him being evil.

EDIT: After having read some comments, find it curious that people are so quick to throw around stuff like saying the writer is envious, or that they were only out to provoke. The whole point of a work like this having any breakthrough is grabbing recognisable aspects of characters for their villains. I don't see how people can already specify motivations behind this work.

One comment of this being a series to just have them as evil "just because", could be right. Outside of Crawford though, we don't know how evil anyone else would've been. Flare (Aqua) seemed to hate him in their 1 interaction. No one actually seemed to really like Crawford, so don't know if they would've been any "edgier" than him. Like I said before, would've kinda liked seeing Crawford get killed off Laughing

Meowtain Duwu wrote:
I’m just...dumbfounded at this entire situation. Kakegurui is so good! How could the author even manage to make something like this?! The former series has such great writing (the characters are especially well-written), but...this series is a whole other story.

This whole situation is just one big farce. The author should just stick to Kakegurui for now and then, if they want to eventually launch a new series in the future, go ahead with an actual good idea the next time around.

I haven't read anything by this writer, nor have I seen the anime based on their work.

So, what about the writing of this work did you see in this single chapter that would lead to your opinion?
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:04 am Reply with quote
The whole execution of this was just terrible, and the magazine knew exactly what they were doing when they published it, they just figured people would be intrigued, and not disgusted.

The idea was interesting, but the way it was done left much to be desired. What the author could have done was select a flaw of the characters (or create a PLAUSIBLE one) and then magnify it, like making the Aqua lookalike the most obnoxious thing on the planet, or give an MC who is generally very confident an internal monologue of them doubting their every move.

Making the Shin lookalike a spoiler[rapist] made absolutely no sense, and I shudder to think what he had in store for the other characters, since in these kind of scenarios things usually tend to escalate as the story progresses.
Jacut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:33 am Reply with quote
Censorship still going strong over there, I see!

mrsatan wrote:
glafrun wrote:
Yea, sarcasm, parody, dark humor etc.... Don't work in Japan at all. Walking on eggshells trying any of that out there. Maybe like 5% of the population understand that type of thing, but the rest will force you out.

(Formerly) Super sarcastic guy that once lived in Japan here that can confirm.
They took everything I said at face value and it made my life very difficult. Because I'm a big dummy on the spectrum, it took me too long to realize what I was doing to myself.

To this day, I still avoid saying sarcastic or dark humor.

Classic beginner move Wink After a while, you get used to it and mainly troll them to their faces without them even noticing. As Rick would say, it just gets darker (and lonelier since you're basically making private jokes that that are so private that nobody except for yourself understands, but...).Yeah, Japan is no fun at all and too serious, in a bad, self-justificating and "always taking the highroad" way. Who wouldn't want to slay all the Isekai characters, honestly?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:05 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
Censorship still going strong over there, I see!

mrsatan wrote:
glafrun wrote:
Yea, sarcasm, parody, dark humor etc.... Don't work in Japan at all. Walking on eggshells trying any of that out there. Maybe like 5% of the population understand that type of thing, but the rest will force you out.

(Formerly) Super sarcastic guy that once lived in Japan here that can confirm.
They took everything I said at face value and it made my life very difficult. Because I'm a big dummy on the spectrum, it took me too long to realize what I was doing to myself.

To this day, I still avoid saying sarcastic or dark humor.

Classic beginner move Wink After a while, you get used to it and mainly troll them to their faces without them even noticing. As Rick would say, it just gets darker (and lonelier since you're basically making private jokes that that are so private that nobody except for yourself understands, but...).Yeah, Japan is no fun at all and too serious, in a bad, self-justificating and "always taking the highroad" way. Who wouldn't want to slay all the Isekai characters, honestly?

This wasn't censorship, it's a wake up call against edgy for the sake of edgy.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:10 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

This wasn't censorship, it's a wake up call against edgy for the sake of edgy.

Exactly. This is why I didn’t like the first chapter of this (now cancelled) manga. It just reeked of all the typical tropes and mistakes of bad crossover fanfiction to me. I have a feeling that if this series didn’t get shelved, it would’ve only gotten much worse. This manga just wasn’t meant to be. Maybe if a different writer had taken a distinct approach with this concept, we wouldn’t be here discussing this failure of a series today.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:45 am Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
Making the Shin lookalike a spoiler[rapist] made absolutely no sense

Only in the context of thinking the Shin lookalike was a similar character to who he is based on. I do really feel like this series was designed to draw people in by things that looked familiar, but sadly went in with a blunt instrument to cause shock and awe.

Which is why I agree with what you say below:
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
and I shudder to think what he had in store for the other characters, since in these kind of scenarios things usually tend to escalate as the story progresses.

Likely scenario. Even though I found it interesting that the other isekai didn't like Luis, that's not a 100% indicator that they were any better than he was.

They are set up with the premise being all the inhabitants of the world believe the isekai protags are heroes, but Luis was the only one that they showed actually being evil.

This had all the hallmarks of a series I would've liked to have checked out, but went to a place in its first chapter that would've stopped me from actually doing so. And now it's dead.

Sadly, it could've also killed any chance of someone doing this type of an idea with more finesse too.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:46 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I imagine it was only an issue once readers started reacting/complaining about it.

If the cancellation had anything to do with public outcry, where is the public tweet or press conference asking for forgiveness? The japanese are well known for this kind of acts.

jroa wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
jroa wrote:
It seems silly to cancel the entire project so quickly instead of following another path.

What is more important, continuing a manga project (every year most of them will get axed) or prevent your publishing company from being sued by nine different copyright holders, mhhh, decisions, decisions.

If you put it that way...but in practice, enough differences would reduce the changes of being sued.

In practice they have already published one chapter and they can be sued for that chapter. Of course the IP holders want to make an example out of this and allowing it to continue with redesigned characters (who people would obviously know who they are after the blatant 1st chapter) would send the signal that you can get away with this kind of revenge manga and I doubt Kawamoto is the only mangaka holding a grudge.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:03 am Reply with quote
Kind of where something like this happens yet it seems that a lot of manga industry officials are fine with doujinshi of their works, which at times is sold commercially.
helln00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote
I still think Louise is supposed to be Rudeus on name alone.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
Kawamoto has never struck me as a malicious or mean-spirited writer before this either, so I'm actually quite curious if this series would've actually ended up as just a pure revenge fantasy or would've become something different halfway through.

I mean, it started with the main villain being an unrepentant rapist. No way to come back from that.
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:57 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
Suxinn wrote:
Kawamoto has never struck me as a malicious or mean-spirited writer before this either, so I'm actually quite curious if this series would've actually ended up as just a pure revenge fantasy or would've become something different halfway through.

I mean, it started with the main villain being an unrepentant rapist. No way to come back from that.

I mean, it could've gone that the main character ends up targeting all the reincarnators in the similarly gruesome ways based on his interaction with the 1st guy (who imo feels very much like opening series shock value cannon fodder to me, to be killed off and forgotten by chapter 2), but then realize that, while the reincarnators aren't really all praiseworthy heroes, they aren't as villainous as he makes them out to be, and are just humans thrown into a situation beyond their understanding who ended up going overboard. ...Or something like that. I mean, that's not an uncommon trajectory with these kinds of stories. And while Kawamoto likes schlock, he also likes giving his characters actual motivations for what they do -- and it's not like he doesn't have a track record of humanizing his antagonists/turning them into the allies of the protagonist.

Of course, all this is supposition, and I'm giving Kawamoto a lot of credit since I've liked most of what I've read from him (Rengoku Deadroll, Isekai Houtei, Kakegurui, etc.). I do agree that chapter one was super crass, and if it hadn't been Kawamoto writing it, I would've been much more wary of where it was going.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:26 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Covnam wrote:
I imagine it was only an issue once readers started reacting/complaining about it.

If the cancellation had anything to do with public outcry, where is the public tweet or press conference asking for forgiveness? The japanese are well known for this kind of acts.

As linked in the articles:

https://twitter.com/fj_dragonage/status/1409436535733178368

https://twitter.com/ushimilksan/status/1409442925532966921
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6