• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll's Ellation Launches New Division for Original Animated Content

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kai99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:42 pm Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
Kai99 wrote:
This is a GREAT time to be a creator, especially if your aiming to create your own animated cartoons. This is really good news. So many companies are getting into the independent animation market. Now the reality of making animation similar to what comes out of Japan, but aimed at a different audience, is becoming very possible. We have an American run animation studio in Japan trying to get things started, now Crunchyroll is jumping into the fray. Use to be the idea of an non-Japanese getting to tell their story in a anime format was a fairytail. Now it more possible than ever.

I absolutely appreciate and admire your optimism and aims.

Just always remember to keep your feet firmly on the ground, look directly evenly ahead, and try to gain a wider understanding of the world as your spirit soars.

Haha, cute, but anyone who follows the animation industry closely will understand why this is great news( including myself as a consumer of animation content). Crunchyroll is following alongside Netflix, Amazon, and many more who are exploring the possibility of making original "anime" shows but with a western creator.

As a black consumer, I already see the writing on the wall, what with two made-in-Japan anime productions from the ideas of black creators already in the works. You should keep up. Smile
Nacirema

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Setting aside the gender/diversity discussion, it be interesting to see how this turn out. A lot of these animesque show come few and in between and very few of them stick out. A lot of people bring out Avatar but there were several other shows like Kapa Mikey that people forget about. As we enter into a new decade it interesting what the direction of the medium go. Really wish people stop making it into Japan vs US thing though. When America make one moderately successful animesque show somehow that suppose to prove how superior American's animation is to anime. Likewise if Americans want to make a show inspire by anime, they can do it and maybe it can be successful.

Also would like to say the logo look like the logo if Internet Explorer and Nickelodeon merged. Laughing
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:48 pm Reply with quote
This looks like it could be really fun, so I'll be keeping my eye on it.
Gator Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Is this the kind of stuff people's Crunchyroll money goes to now? It sounds like they saw Steven Universe and copied it, but replaced the gem theme with spices. Sad
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

I don't want that. I want staff that can make a good show without having to point out their ethnicities, gender, sexual preference(s), politics, etc.

You know that people can do both, right?

Female-led programs are still incredibly rare in the entertainment industry. It doesn't harm anyone for the creators to point out something that's unique about their production. Besides, no one on the production side is saying the show is good BECAUSE it's run by women. They're saying they think it will be good, and it's ALSO run by women. Both are things worth mentioning.

Idort wrote:

Another thing that someone pointed out to me is that for people who subscribe to crunchyroll specifically for japanese animation, most of them are going to actually be very pissed. Because crunchyroll says they support anime and yet they're not using their money to support actual anime. They're taking it and spending it on western cartoon animators with mild anime influence.

There are still hundreds of anime on Crunchyroll and more getting added every season. The assumption that this is somehow going to result in all those anime (or even a few of them) going away is ridiculous. That's not how streaming services do business: the goal here is clearly to diversify the content, and that means both anime AND original shows, most likely with a separate budget for each. You're not losing anything, the service is only gaining more content (and potentially, more money with which to buy both anime AND cartoons.) If the show succeeds, they'll keep making it and still license more anime. If the show flops, they'll stop making it and still license more anime. There's no way you can lose here.

And honestly this idea that western and Japanese animation need to constantly be pitted against each other is kind of ridiculous and feels like a relic of the 90's. Good animation can come from anywhere, folks. Chill.
Gator Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Besides, no one on the production side is saying the show is good BECAUSE it's run by women. They're saying they think it will be good, and it's ALSO run by women. Both are things worth mentioning.

I don't know much about the law but isn't that illegal? Discrimination based on gender is a pretty big deal isn't it? How have they not gotten sued?
Idort

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
There are still hundreds of anime on Crunchyroll and more getting added every season. The assumption that this is somehow going to result in all those anime (or even a few of them) going away is ridiculous. That's not how streaming services do business: the goal here is clearly to diversify the content, and that means both anime AND original shows, most likely with a separate budget for each. You're not losing anything, the service is only gaining more content (and potentially, more money with which to buy both anime AND cartoons.) If the show succeeds, they'll keep making it and still license more anime. If the show flops, they'll stop making it and still license more anime. There's no way you can lose here.

And honestly this idea that western and Japanese animation need to constantly be pitted against each other is kind of ridiculous and feels like a relic of the 90's. Good animation can come from anywhere, folks. Chill.

They're paying for content that people who want anime simply do NOT care for. Besides, acting like Crunchyroll is actually doing anything for the animation industry is laughable. It's pretty plane for everyone to see that Crunchyroll has no idea whatsoever what their subscribers would want.

Digibro makes some good points in his video about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV3cVq_MuOQ[/quote]
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Nacirema wrote:
Really wish people stop making it into Japan vs US thing though. When America make one moderately successful animesque show somehow that suppose to prove how superior American's animation is to anime. Likewise if Americans want to make a show inspire by anime, they can do it and maybe it can be successful.

The entire trailer is them trashing on other studios and saying only they have the creativity and heart to only employ only women and they're going to do what every other studio out there can't. They're the ones encouraging this kind of competitive behavior. It is not very surprising though, a lot of the people attached to this project are extremely toxic people if you've followed the industries they've come from.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
Gator Gamer wrote:

I don't know much about the law but isn't that illegal? Discrimination based on gender is a pretty big deal isn't it? How have they not gotten sued?
That's literally not the definition of discrimination at all.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote
My opinion of this show can be summarized as "Isn't this a better fit outside of Crunchyroll and on one of those channels VRV has"? I can't judge the show at all, because the pv gives me nothing to judge other than a few images. I will say that I can't blame people who think that Crunchyroll is wasting the money that they are giving them though. I'll probably avoid the show rather than just quit my subscription outright, but I might consider it if they keep making such shows.

Also, it's kind of funny that they talk about diversity when all of the staff are white women. Pop Team Epic's team had more diversity because of that one French guy.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:05 am Reply with quote
I'm not disappointed in this show because I'm afraid Crunchyroll will stop licensing anime, I'm disappointed because this is what they're apparently focusing a ton of time and resources into, while systemic problems with their service continue unaddressed. Their player is the worst in the business (and still uses Flash in 2018) and their website has a bunch of functionality issues. Why haven't they fixed this? Why haven't they hired more people to better run things so their core product is actually functional? That's why this news pisses me off.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:24 am Reply with quote
For the record I think the show looks stupid and a waste of money for an anime streaming site like Crunchyroll, and simply having an all female staff does not automatically a good show make, and the fact that they genuinely seem to believe that is hilariously shitty, but some of the overreactions in this thread, made by grown-ass adults about a show for kids, are even more ridiculous.

Having an all-female crew does not automatically make a good show, and it's laughable to think it does, but some of you are acting as if it automatically makes a bad show.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:26 am Reply with quote
seltzermx wrote:
The point here is that CR is supposed to be about spending money on getting new anime licenses.

And yet are they not still doing that?

Cause I've seen no indication that they're not doing so or are just going to turnaround and stop just to throw all their budget into making original stuff, like some people seem to think they are.

seltzermx wrote:
Recently they've been losing them to Netflix and Amazon.

Doesn't Netflix and Amazon have far more money to burn then Crunchyroll hence why this "losing" is happening?

Secondly Netflix and Amazon both produce original content alongside them licensing and streaming existing TV shows and movies. And Crunchyroll is getting flak for trying to do do essentially the same thing?

This is pretty much akin to when people whined and moaned about CN coming up with live action TV shows....just like Disney, Nickelodeon, and various other networks/production companies were producing at the time (and still make).

My favorite argument against this venture was "YOU'RE CALLED "CARTOON NETWORK" SO AIR CARTOONS AND ONLY CARTOONS". And yet after all that look at where Cartoon Network is now airing nothing "but" cartoons (except for the few LA shows on Adult Swim) and yet people still complain because the cartoons they're airing aren't what they want to see or because "it ruins their childhood".

seltzermx wrote:

If they have less money to spend on actual Anime because they're spending it on this, then yes, as a subscriber, I have an issue with that. Considering how easy the "free" alternatives are nowadays, they should be spending money on what makes their customers happy.

....You mean what'll make "you" happy since what makes their customers happy varies by person. What five people may not like five other people may or simply have no particular feeling one way or the other such as with this news.

seltzermx wrote:

It's the same thing as when MS tried to get into TV a few years ago. That's not what people wanted out of their Xbox. They finally wised up, shut that down, and spent money on videogames.

This is funny for two reasons one making video games is not what Microsoft was established to do they started off making/licensing computer related tech (which is what their main source of revenue comes from).

Secondly what you just mentioned is something called "taking risks". This risk in particular was Microsoft doing something that could've easily had panned out like Phillip's or Nokia's attempts to jump into the video game market. Companies can't always just "say let's do this one thing and only that one thing". If Apple ran with that logic Macs would be the only thing they're known for and no one would care about them.

So with that in mind and going back to the end of my second point why is Crunchyroll getting crapped on for branching out into something else, something that doesn't in no way stop them from doing what they normally do?
Phantowhite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:45 am Reply with quote
looks interesting and i'll probably watch it. that being said i couldn't care less if the staff was mostly female. recently, it feels like if you don't shove it down someone's throat how diverse or how much you support women's empowerment etc., you're just setting yourself up to get attacked, and i don't like that. well aside from that, like i said i don't particularly care what race, gender, or religion the staff are. so long as they are good at what they do, then that's all that really matters.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:51 am Reply with quote
From the interview Kun Gao give to Variety:
https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/ellation-studios-crunchyroll-originals-high-guardian-spice-1202912537/
Quote:
But while Japanese anime has turned Crunchyroll into a niche streaming success story, it has also limited the type of stories shown on the service. “Anime continues to be a domestic product for Japan,” Gao said. Japanese animators produce their shows first and foremost for Japanese audiences, addressing Japanese sensibilities.

At the same time, Gao and his team started to notice a growing group of fans on its service who were honing their own animation skills. “We are seeing creators who grew up on our platform,” he said. Now, the company wants to give some of those new voices a forum by producing their shows for a worldwide audience. Said Gao: “Their perspective is a more global perspective.”

From what i understand what they want is address all those fans that wanted anime to go for a more mainstream global audience and complain that Japan don't make the anime they want to see.
Because anime is and will be made with the Japanese audience in mind, they think only appealing to a niche audience that are fan of Japanese anime, would limit the sucess of Crunchyroll.

So they decided that if they don't get that kind of anime from Japan, they needed to make those animations for global mainstream audiences themselves.

From that, this means Crunchyroll will make this anime inspired animations to appeal to a different audience and grow.
What that mean to main core of the Crunchyroll audience, the anime fan, only the future will tell.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7