• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are So Many Anime's English Titles Total Nonsense?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zendervai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Heishi wrote:
Some of my favorite weirdo titles are
"Destiny of the Shrine Maiden". Why not just call it "Priestesses of the Godless Month"?
".Hack//SIGN". Is this some kind of code??

.hack// is a classic unusual title. I think it's meant to emulate an internet TLD.

Yeah, I think it's supposed to be like a programming thing. The entire franchise is named like that.

My favourite type of weird titles are the ones that sound completely lame and non-indicative, but turn out to be a pretty good title when you have the context. Like, "Princess Tutu". That sounds awful. But it's actually completely awesome. Or "Fantastic Children" which sounds like it should be a cheery kids show or something, but it's actually a somber slow series with some very dark elements.
lamfrank9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why they made "Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou" into "The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior." Seems like an odd English title to me.

The original Japanese title is very fitting because it's also a pun one of the character's name. But since you can't really translate that, it should have just been something like "We're All a Little Pathetic." Very Happy
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
You know, I was just reading about Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA when I saw this come up. At least the protagonist's name is in there somewhere...

By the way, I heard from a source from within (who'd prefer to remain anonymous for now) that the reason why some of these creators insist on Engrish and word vomit is because they want to get a specific feel when fluent English-speakers read what they produce, and the result is that names, descriptions, and phrases cannot be changed from what the Japanese side provides for them. They're afraid that doing so much as someone else fixing the English on it will harm the impact they intend their audiences to feel.

ultimatehaki wrote:
I never got into Bleach but was there ever any explanation as to what that title was suppose to mean or why the author named it such?

Tite Kubo has not given any consistent answers to it, but the most reasonable one I've seen is that it refers to Ichigo's hair. It's orange, and due to his surly behavior, people assume he bleached it to a different color and mistake him for a delinquent because of it. (Orihime's hair is orange too, but I'm guessing she gets a free pass because she neither looks nor acts like a delinquent.)

There have been some other explanations too though. But I don't think Kubo was ever really all that sure himself.

Dop.L wrote:
Manga, yes, but isn't "BLAME!" supposed to be "BLAM!" (as in gunshot)?

From what I heard, yes. For some reason, English onomatopoeia seem to give the Japanese a hard time, considering how much of a struggle it was to spell any of them in the PaRappa games.

FlowerAiko wrote:
The original English name for SukaSuka, that anime that aired last season, was:
"Do you have what THE END? Are you busy? Shall you save xxx?"

I find that hilarious.

Is that what they actually proposed?

Harleyquin wrote:
If it means anything to readers here, the Chinese title for "Bleach" is 净化 which loosely translates to "purification". Considering the whole premise of the series from the little I've read about it is about "Soul Society" and what to do with the aberrations which threaten the peace of the afterworld, what probably happened was the Japanese creator of the franchise thinking about a catchy English title to describe the whole franchise and using the wrong word from a thesaurus or Japanese-to-English translator.

Odd as the title is for native English speakers, there's no denying any stigma that used to be attached to the title for its improper usage of the noun has long since been forgiven by fans of the series.

The thing is that Kubo actually has at least a decent grasp of English, as his hobby is listening to English-language pop music and can communicate on social media in English. I doubt he needs a thesaurus or a mechanical translator.

Selipse wrote:
nechronius wrote:
Attack on Titans
Attack of Titans
Titan Attack

As I said, none of those is what the title is supposed to mean.
spoiler[The last one would actually work if it was switched around. Though it would've still gotten people saying it was weird English until the reveal. Laughing]

Read BodaciousSpacePirate's comment for the answer.

From what I am getting here, "Titan Attack" can still work as there is a Titan doing some attacking while being ambiguous enough to make sense at the beginning of the series.

Green Luthor wrote:
Priss is the only musician in the group. (Some of the later episodes use songs by all the voice actors credited collectively as the Knight Sabers, but they're not "in universe" songs (like "Konya wa Hurricane" from episode 1), and were mostly a way to get around Kinuko Ohmori's contract restrictions.)

Reportedly, the title is supposed to evoke the image of blowing a bubble when chewing gum; if you go too far, the whole thing blows up. So the title is trying to represent a precarious situation (the "crisis" part) that's on the verge of exploding.

And instead it sounds like there's some extremely dangerous bubble gum threatening the world.

Top Gun wrote:
I hear ya. There are so many titles out there that almost make me start twitching from how badly they mutilate basic English structures. What really gets me are the titles that just ThRoW cApItaL leTtErS everywhere, a la CLAMP, or those teeth-grating random semicolons in that series of visual novels. Ugh. The best part is how so many people out there will absolutely crucify local distributors for a flubbed line, while blissfully ignoring the fact that the original franchise butchers their own language all over the place.

Do you have a similar reaction to extremely bizarre names in Hunter X Hunter and Bleach? They get a laugh out of me. Curarpikt, Fulunkln, Hyskoa, Chzzok, Phalcnothdk, Quwrof Wrlccywrlir... (Quwrof's name was actually spelled that way on the packaging of a figure of him. And for the record, Viz's spellings, respectively, are Kurapika, Franklin, Hisoka, Shizuku, Pakunoda, and Chrollo Lucilfer.)

Heishi wrote:
"Jinki Extend". How do you extend a "jinki"?

By making Velma even more surprised than usual.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Do you have a similar reaction to extremely bizarre names in Hunter X Hunter and Bleach? They get a laugh out of me. Curarpikt, Fulunkln, Hyskoa, Chzzok, Phalcnothdk, Quwrof Wrlccywrlir... (Quwrof's name was actually spelled that way on the packaging of a figure of him. And for the record, Viz's spellings, respectively, are Kurapika, Franklin, Hisoka, Shizuku, Pakunoda, and Chrollo Lucilfer.)

Oh jeez, I've vaguely come across one or two of those before, but I'd never seen the full horror. Thankfully wiser heads prevailed. And yeah, Bleach got pretty brutal in its later going too: I'm still firmly convinced that "Yhwach" is onomatopoeia for a sneeze.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
There's some evidence that the "Bodacious Space Pirates" name was even designed for the English-speaking anime market... after all, the original light novel's title translates to "Miniskirt Space Pirates"!

Not exactly. The original novel title is Miniskirt Pirates, and the anime's Japanese title is Mouretsu Pirates; I can only speculate as to why that change was made, but I expect they didn't want to imply that it was a pure fanservice fest. Mouretsu more-or-less translates as "spirited", "go-getter", gung-ho". Bodacious, much as we think of it as very 80s-specific slang, has older origins and is thought to originally be a portmanteau of "bold" and "audacious" and generally used to mean "dramatic", "flashy", "commanding", etc in positive ways. So it's actually a fairly reasonable translation of "mouretsu", apart from our memories of how the word was used in the 80s. "Bodacious" was chosen specifically for the English-speaking market, but only in the sense that official English titles usually are; name change from Miniskirt Pirates was done for the Japanese market.

lamfrank9 wrote:
I'm not sure why they made "Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou" into "The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior." Seems like an odd English title to me.

The original Japanese title is very fitting because it's also a pun one of the character's name. But since you can't really translate that, it should have just been something like "We're All a Little Pathetic." Very Happy

The problem with punny titles is that there's almost never a good way to translate them to another language and maintain the pun. Literally translating one of the meanings sometimes works but frequently doesn't; I'd say this is one of the cases where it doesn't. "The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior" doesn't maintain the pun, but at least does a reasonable job of substituting a different one while keeping the place name; arguably more important in the title than communicating that the cast are oddballs.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ultimately the question gets punted back to the original creator, or "gensakusha." This person may or may not actually have a decent grasp of English, but often they think they do, and they might ignore everybody's advice and come up with something that's basically the grammatical equivalent of a 3-year-old pounding on a QWERTY keyboard.

Pretty much this. The Japanese do not have as strong a grasp on the English language as they seem to think they do. It's why you get weird names for things like spells or skills. Seraphic Bolt in Tales of Graces f was originally named Religious in the Japanese version, for example, making an adjective into a spell name. Another one would be Heaven Impact in Cross Edge, which was called...Impact Heaven in Japanese. All we did for the U.S. release is flip the word order to make it sound more sensible.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
If you want real nonsense titles try looking at a lot of hentai english titles. Have fun with that.

Stainless Night
Parade Parade
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Pretty much this. The Japanese do not have as strong a grasp on the English language as they seem to think they do. It's why you get weird names for things like spells or skills.

That's giving me flashbacks to Andou in Inou Battle naming his journal "bloody vivre" when he really meant to name it "bloody bible" instead.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
If it means anything to readers here, the Chinese title for "Bleach" is 净化 which loosely translates to "purification".

Never heard of anyone using that term in the past decade at any anime-related forum using Chinese, simplified or traditional. Confused

In Taiwan, it's called 死神, literally "the Death" (with capital D).

In Hong Kong, it's called 漂靈, literally "wondering spirit."

In PR China, the legally licensed version did not appear almost a decade later, so most fans there have adapted Taiwan's translation (most HK forum users type written Cantonese instead of standard Chinese while participating online discussions; non-Cantonese-speaking people would find it difficult to read). After title like 死神 and 净灵 (literally "purifying spirits") have been rejected by GAPP (Chinese censors are usually very sensitive to supernatural and occult themes), the final approved title is 境·界, which I find it very smart by using characters of the same pronunciation (境界 means "realm" or "status," which tells very little to readers what exactly it is, but 境 has the exactly same pronunciation to 净 (cleansing, purifying)), with the help of a middle dot breaking apart two characters.

That was the title it was referred to in an anime review show I used to watch 5-6 years ago on television before the Sichuan earthquake messed things up. You're from Taiwan, so obviously you have different ways of referring to it. The name I referred to pre-dates the official PRC localisation by several years as well.

If the creator really is as fluent in English as he's made out to be, then I suppose the title might have been a vestige from the scene very early on in the franchise before the whole thing took off. I take it the series has gone a long way from talking about the protagonist's hair colour.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Oh jeez, I've vaguely come across one or two of those before, but I'd never seen the full horror. Thankfully wiser heads prevailed. And yeah, Bleach got pretty brutal in its later going too: I'm still firmly convinced that "Yhwach" is onomatopoeia for a sneeze.

Personally, I would say Aaroniero Arreruerie's appearance wasn't not really that much "later" into Bleach, but yeah, it didn't get common until later. At the very least though, Bleach character names follow logical consonant-vowel patterns (except for Yhwach), even if the cluster itself is confusing. Hunter X Hunter names (all of the ones I listed were HxH) just look like someone punched a keyboard.

According to the author's comments in the volume releases of HxH, Yoshihiro Togashi goes on vacation to other countries pretty often during those massive hiatuses of his, and he most often goes to English-speaking countries. You'd think he'd have a better grasp of how the English language works by now.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Cat Planet Cuties was a weird one.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:36 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Personally, I would say Aaroniero Arreruerie's appearance wasn't not really that much "later" into Bleach, but yeah, it didn't get common until later. At the very least though, Bleach character names follow logical consonant-vowel patterns (except for Yhwach), even if the cluster itself is confusing. Hunter X Hunter names (all of the ones I listed were HxH) just look like someone punched a keyboard.

Most of the arrancar's names are at least based on real life architects/designers/artists. Aaroniero being named after Eero Aarnio.

Turn A Gundam may be a really egregious case, which the articles blurb image only kind of scratches, because it seemed like were REALLY unsure whether people would get how to say it correctly.

Here's the shows first opening

So...in the first seconds we get:

1-The songs chorus, saying repeatedly singing "Turn A, Turn A, Turn A"

2-The show's log, which actually has "Called Turn A Gundam" written in it.

3-A large BOOMING voiceover saying "Turn A Gundam"

It's absolutely hilarious!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
My fav is Blue Gender (male/female/blue??). What that has to do with big bugs and mecha is beyond me...Another is The Big O (an old slang term for orgasm...).

This season has some good alphabet soup character names too courtesy of WorldEnd: Elq Hrqstn, Chtholly, Nygglatho, Rhantolk, Nopht, Phyracorlybia (I just copy-pasted this one!) Makes me feel bad for the Japanese VAs having to deal with this
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
Blue Gender the mutations were called the Blue and it was people/animals mutating and evolving into a different species with a different form of reproduction due to fictional 'B Cells' becoming active in a cycle of rapid evolution that occurred every few millennia (but also as an immune reaction of the planet responding to the environmental damage humanity caused), so you can kinda see where they were going with Gender but I cant think of a direct English word that fits, the technical term in evolution is 'Speciation' but that sounds very stuffy, they could have used 'Race' or 'Mutant' maybe?

Bleach as explained is referenced to his hair colour appearing bleached blonde, there was indeed an early shift in the story telling from initially being set up as delinquents having an alternate night time job as reapers with the action taking place in the city (kinda like Persona) to the protagonists launching various guerrilla rescue missions on to other worlds (Soul Society, Hell, etc..)
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
Tatami Galaxy seems like a strange choice for the translation of "Mythology of the 4.5 Tatami Room", but if you look carefully at what a 4.5 tatami arrangement looks like...

https://contents.multilingualcart.com/ori/50427/goods_img/goods_729_2.png
...you can see a spiral galaxy there.[/img]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8