• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Aniplex of America President Henry Goto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
^ Y'know the massive, glaring flaw that analogies like the above all seem to have is that, when it comes to anime, each individual series is its own unique product. It doesn't at all compare to smartphones, where while you have varying price points and individual features, they can all run the same apps (the majority even run the exact same OS), they all have the same features, and hell, most of them look pretty much exactly the same. Even when looking at the massive quality and performance gulf between a Ferrari and a Kia, both serve the same function and are made up of the same basic components. But a work of fiction like an anime series is very much its own entity. If I want to purchase Kill la Kill, I can't find another option somewhere else that is still Kill la Kill, that has the same plot points and dialogue and acting in a cheaper package. There is only one show that is Kill la Kill, and there is only one company selling it, so by the very nature of the situation I am held hostage by that company's whims.

But it IS the same. Kill la Kill provides the same function as any other anime. Just like a Kia and a Ferrari both get you from point A to point B. Kill la Kill and To Love Ru both provide animated audiovisual entertainment. If you aren't willing to pay for Kill la Kill, you can buy a show from a different publisher that serves the exact same purpose.
If you want to take everything to that level of specificity, than cars(and probably phones) aren't comparable either. No Ferrari driver would consider a Kia to be a reasonable substitute. It isn't the same experience, whatsoever.
darktruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
^ Y'know the massive, glaring flaw that analogies like the above all seem to have is that, when it comes to anime, each individual series is its own unique product. It doesn't at all compare to smartphones, where while you have varying price points and individual features, they can all run the same apps (the majority even run the exact same OS), they all have the same features, and hell, most of them look pretty much exactly the same. Even when looking at the massive quality and performance gulf between a Ferrari and a Kia, both serve the same function and are made up of the same basic components. But a work of fiction like an anime series is very much its own entity. If I want to purchase Kill la Kill, I can't find another option somewhere else that is still Kill la Kill, that has the same plot points and dialogue and acting in a cheaper package. There is only one show that is Kill la Kill, and there is only one company selling it, so by the very nature of the situation I am held hostage by that company's whims.

And it's also not about entitlement, or not being willing to save up money, or any of those things. I mean, I have purchased a lot of anime. (Seriously, a LOT of anime.) Every month I set aside at least a little bit of my paycheck to grab something or other from whatever the RightStuf sale du jour happens to be. I like many shows out there, and I want to own them. So when I see other companies that offer multiple price points, from fancy limited editions down to budget full-series sets, and whose products frequently go on sale, and I see how far my money can get me there...and then I look at this one other singular company whose products are NEVER on sale, whose "cheapest" options are still twice again as expensive as any other companies...well tell me, what am I supposed to do then? Why would I blow my entire luxury discretionary budget on a single thing I like from that company, when for the same amount I could purchase several things I like from other companies? No one has ever answered that question satisfactorily.

I think this thread will help you ----> animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2875133

Not the ideal solution but that option does exist.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
@leafyseadragon Pokemon Diamond and Pearl sold 5.3 million copies in America alone. Though that's less than the 7.6 million that Generation II sold or the 9.85 million that Red and Blue sold, Pokemon's sales in the US are still massive. It isn't dead.

Of course not. That's why I used Pokémon as an example: There were (and probably still are) communities of people in the United States who haven't heard from Pokémon in ages, and so they assume Pokémon games have stopped being made.

In this same city, I walked into a locally run bookstore to see if I could find some off-the-beaten-path manga. Turns out all they had was xxxHolic. When I spoke to one of the guys who worked there, he thought that manga gets released about once per year, solely because that's about the rate that he sees new manga. (He knows what manga is; he just never knew it was a full-size business.)

In other words, out of sight, out of mind.

willag wrote:
The general consensus is that AoA puts out releases that are better quality (in terms of video and audio) than Funi's and Sentai's. And while I can see the differences in side-by-side screenshots people post up, I don't notice any of these issues while actually watching the shows. So, for me, the difference in quality isn't apparent enough to give AoA releases that edge. The anime itself would either need to be something I REALLY want or the extras in the collector's edition would need to be impressive enough to make up for the cost and have me put them higher up on my list.

Same here: Seeing images side by side, yeah I can see the quality differences, but when I'm watching, I forget about all that. A good story will get me engrossed in what I'm seeing and invested in the characters, and I forget all about the drop in picture quality. If a story I'm seeing on TV (or my computer) is truly compelling, then I should be forgetting about that. If I'm looking at compression or artifacts or whatever, then it means I'm not immersed enough.

Anime tends to be really light on the extras front compared to home video releases of things natively in English though. Extras are what makes or breaks a home video purchase for original English language media for me, but they're just a nice bonus with anime.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
But it IS the same. Kill la Kill provides the same function as any other anime. Just like a Kia and a Ferrari both get you from point A to point B. Kill la Kill and To Love Ru both provide animated audiovisual entertainment. If you aren't willing to pay for Kill la Kill, you can buy a show from a different publisher that serves the exact same purpose.
If you want to take everything to that level of specificity, than cars(and probably phones) aren't comparable either. No Ferrari driver would consider a Kia to be a reasonable substitute. It isn't the same experience, whatsoever.

Except no two shows will ever serve the exact same purpose, because any fictional work has such a myriad of individual elements poured into it that make it what it is and provide its own experience. You mention Kill la Kill and To Love Ru: one of those shows I absolutely adored, while the other...well, saying nothing about it is the kindest thing I could do. The one couldn't remotely replicate the experience of the other. Even when I'm shopping in a sale and figuring out what to buy, there's almost always a twinge of regret involved, because invariably I'm passing on something that I definitely want to own. (Obviously that's easily resolved in the future in most cases.) I don't look at the shows I like as interchangeable or disposable, and I certainly wouldn't swap one for another on a whim.

Trying to play with the car metaphor again is probably a terrible idea, because of how different the economies in question are, but let's try this: if I'm in the market for a high-performance car--hell, if I'm in the market for a Ferrari specifically--I have options. Individual models, package options, even what dealer I go to, and that's just making the assumption that it's a luxury car or nothing for me. But if Kill la Kill is the show I like, there is only one retailer selling it, at essentially one price point and form-factor (well maybe two: expensive and what-the-hell), with a substantial mark-up that has nothing to do with the product itself (this is really where the Ferrari analogy breaks down), but everything to do with the parent company's whims. If I am a fan of a particular show that Aniplex produced, I am essentially being held hostage. What's worse is that now they're not content to push newer licenses this way: now they've decided that no one gets to renew their licenses, even the companies that made them massive domestic hits in the first place, so they're taking their ball and going home. I'm sitting here years down the line not buying shows I would have purchased in the blink of an eye had any other domestic distributor released them...I think that says something.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Except no two shows will ever serve the exact same purpose, because any fictional work has such a myriad of individual elements poured into it that make it what it is and provide its own experience. You mention Kill la Kill and To Love Ru: one of those shows I absolutely adored, while the other...well, saying nothing about it is the kindest thing I could do. The one couldn't remotely replicate the experience of the other. Even when I'm shopping in a sale and figuring out what to buy, there's almost always a twinge of regret involved, because invariably I'm passing on something that I definitely want to own. (Obviously that's easily resolved in the future in most cases.) I don't look at the shows I like as interchangeable or disposable, and I certainly wouldn't swap one for another on a whim.

Trying to play with the car metaphor again is probably a terrible idea, because of how different the economies in question are, but let's try this: if I'm in the market for a high-performance car--hell, if I'm in the market for a Ferrari specifically--I have options. Individual models, package options, even what dealer I go to, and that's just making the assumption that it's a luxury car or nothing for me. But if Kill la Kill is the show I like, there is only one retailer selling it, at essentially one price point and form-factor (well maybe two: expensive and what-the-hell), with a substantial mark-up that has nothing to do with the product itself (this is really where the Ferrari analogy breaks down), but everything to do with the parent company's whims. If I am a fan of a particular show that Aniplex produced, I am essentially being held hostage. What's worse is that now they're not content to push newer licenses this way: now they've decided that no one gets to renew their licenses, even the companies that made them massive domestic hits in the first place, so they're taking their ball and going home. I'm sitting here years down the line not buying shows I would have purchased in the blink of an eye had any other domestic distributor released them...I think that says something.

Once again, you are comparing them at two different levels of specificity. Kill la Kill is that one very specific Ferrari(model, color, options) that you want. The price for that, between various dealers, is going to be very similar to the variation you will find between different vendors selling Aniplex of America titles(read: almost none. Especially for Ferrari Dealers).
At a very reasonable scale, the car market and the anime market are extremely similar. People who love cars want a specific car, with specific options, colors, etc. and they'll pay the price that it costs to get that exact car, which usually has very little variation. People who love anime will do literally exactly the same thing going after that specific anime title that they like.

You are coming at this as someone who harbors love for anime, but doesn't have the same relationship with cars. A car enthusiast would certainly not think anything, other than the exact car they want, is an adequate replacement, just as you feel that way about Kill la Kill. All while people not in either of those enthusiast markets will see just-as-good replacements for Kill la Kill, or a top-of-the-line red Ferrari 458, all over the place.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

I never said the two were comparable. I was speaking very specifically about who some people feel the need to attack others because of how they spend their money. If someone chooses to buy an AoA title instead of a lower priced title, that is really no one else's concern.

You can complain about Aniplex's pricing, or be upset because you either can't afford their releases, or don't want to spend the money on them. But to attack people who are willing to spend that amount is ridiculous. It is their money, not yours. And to make blanket assumptions about someone because they are willing to do so is just as ridiculous.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote
Paragraphs and paragraphs for just a simple issue.

Aniplex does this solely to make lots of money. Their plan is to bleed their fans of every cent or yen they can get away with. So long as their shows are popular and they don't get super cheapskate about their physical media, they will get away with it.

Since it is their property, they have every right to price it as they see fit, just as it is our right to complain about their blatant price gouging, their ongoing actions to create a scarcity of their titles, and them only serving a select group of fans.

Nothing metaphysical here, just plain greed..
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
blatant price gouging

This has been bugging me for a while, and it's nothing personal, Tars. Most people against AoA keep using those words because they think it means that AoA is unreasonably increasing the prices of their anime. That's not what price gouging is. Price gouging is the unreasonable and excessive increase of price of a product in the event of a natural dissaster requiring that particular product. It just does not fit.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
blatant price gouging

This has been bugging me for a while, and it's nothing personal, Tars. Most people against AoA keep using those words because they think it means that AoA is unreasonably increasing the prices of their anime. That's not what price gouging is. Price gouging is the unreasonable and excessive increase of price of a product in the event of a natural dissaster requiring that particular product. It just does not fit.

Nope, price gouging is when your product's price is way over what your competitors price theirs. You can quantify this. If every anime company sells 13 episode anime series for lets say 50 $ and they don't lose money and your company sells 13 episode anime series for 100 $ all else being equal there is price gouging going on. Aniplex isn't selling gold plated blu-ray boxes or something that differentiates their product from their competitors. The only difference is the name on the box. And that is not sufficient to account for the enormous price difference. So yeah price gouging in full. And if this truth hurts aniplex clients sensibilities tough luck. Man up.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
blatant price gouging

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you're not an American. The way most Americans understand the term, it has nothing to do with natural disasters. It may have a narrower definition in other English-speaking countries, but here it's defined pretty much the way Cptn_Taylor defined it.

And, I agree with Tars Tarkas, King of the Tharks, that Aniplex is doing just what he said they were doing and for the reasons he gave. They have the *right* to do it, but that doesn't mean it's okay in my book. There are a lot of things that people have the right to do, but don't do it because it's despicable or uncouth, or for other reasons.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Nope, price gouging is when your product's price is way over what your competitors price theirs. You can quantify this. If every anime company sells 13 episode anime series for lets say 50 $ and they don't lose money and your company sells 13 episode anime series for 100 $ all else being equal there is price gouging going on. Aniplex isn't selling gold plated blu-ray boxes or something that differentiates their product from their competitors. The only difference is the name on the box. And that is not sufficient to account for the enormous price difference. So yeah price gouging in full. And if this truth hurts aniplex clients sensibilities tough luck. Man up.

Well, the other element of price gouging is that people are buying the product or service at the higher prices. (I'm not sure if people buying them in enough quantities to stay out of debt is a requirement for price gouging, but if you charge so high no one will buy it, you're not going to be in business for long.)

Is it still price gouging if every competitor is doing it too though? The example I'm thinking of is land and real estate in California. Prices are way higher in California than any other state. One could say their competition is property in other states, but if you intend to do something that can only be done in California, then you're out of luck if you're looking for cheap property.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you're not an American. The way most Americans understand the term, it has nothing to do with natural disasters. It may have a narrower definition in other English-speaking countries, but here it's defined pretty much the way Cptn_Taylor defined it.

And, I agree with Tars Tarkas, King of the Tharks, that Aniplex is doing just what he said they were doing and for the reasons he gave. They have the *right* to do it, but that doesn't mean it's okay in my book. There are a lot of things that people have the right to do, but don't do it because it's despicable or uncouth, or for other reasons.

I didn't even know the definition of "price gouging" is different for non-Americans. What is the most widely-used non-American term for a simple spike in price for the sole reason that people will buy it at that level of markup?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I didn't even know the definition of "price gouging" is different for non-Americans. What is the most widely-used non-American term for a simple spike in price for the sole reason that people will buy it at that level of markup?

Price gouging is the term I'd use. What I think DmonHiro was talking about is something we'd probably called "hoarding": keeping things to yourself and then not sharing after something bad has happened. So far as I am aware, there is no "natural disaster" aspect required for a hefty mark-up to be called price-gouging. I figured it might've been a requirement that other English-speaking countries use. Of course, even within the US, the way we use words can vary.

BTW, it can still be price-gouging if a company and their competitors agree to drive up the price. That practice is usually referred to as "collusion", and it may or may not be illegal, depending on what it is that's been driven up that way.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Price gouging is the term I'd use. What I think DmonHiro was talking about is something we'd probably called "hoarding": keeping things to yourself and then not sharing after something bad has happened. So far as I am aware, there is no "natural disaster" aspect required for a hefty mark-up to be called price-gouging. I figured it might've been a requirement that other English-speaking countries use. Of course, even within the US, the way we use words can vary.

BTW, it can still be price-gouging if a company and their competitors agree to drive up the price. That practice is usually referred to as "collusion", and it may or may not be illegal, depending on what it is that's been driven up that way.

Here in America, we have a pretty broad definition of price gouging, but historically it's usually has been limited to refer to instances where there was no competition in the market for the product, it was a necessary commodity (like or food or water), or companies were driving up the cost of something just because they could.

For example, when I was 18 I had a second job at a local gas station/sub shop. One winter, there was a natural gas line rupture in the area. This caused around 12,000 people in the area to lose gas service for the better part of a week, and as a result their heating. For the station, this resulted in a dramatic increase in kerosine sales. So every night, our managers would call and have us raise the price of our kerosine five cents or so. This was purely a move to boost their profits, and was definitely a practice of price gouging.

I don't know if charging a higher price for a non-essential product can be considered the same. Obviously during January in Western Pennsylvania, someone can't go without heat for days at a time. No one is going to suffer any ill effects if they are unable to buy the latest Charlotte, Fate/Stay, or Madoka release.

What Aniplex is doing is capitalism pure and simple. They identified a market that they can make a profit off of, produced a higher revenue and profit product, and sold it to their targeted market. If their business plan wasn't profitable, they probably would have shut down by now, as we've Bandai Visual and others who have attempted similar moves do.

While some of their titles like SAO, or Fate/Stay Zero would have probably done well no matter who licensed them, without specific sales and profit numbers, we don't know that they wouldn't have been anymore or less profitable. Even then it would only be conjecture. I have no doubt that Sentai and Funi's higher volume but lower MSRP models would have resulted in more units being sold, but they may not have necessarily resulted in higher revenue or profits for them, and likely would not have increased the amount of profits that Aniplex received for those shows.

Selling a higher priced product in a market with healthy competition isn't necessarily price gouging. Now if Aniplex was in a market with no competition, and didn't take any steps to make their shows so widely available across streaming platforms (sometimes for free), then you might be able to make a case.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Selling a higher priced product in a market with healthy competition isn't necessarily price gouging. Now if Aniplex was in a market with no competition, and didn't take any steps to make their shows so widely available across streaming platforms (sometimes for free), then you might be able to make a case.

Streaming again.......This has nothing to do with streaming. Streaming is like watching a show on broadcast or cable TV. It has no place in conversations about buying a physical media, unless you are talking about the reasons why you wanted to buy the show or movie.

About your main point though, I could agree with you if we were talking about a slight or middling increase in price point, but with Aniplex that is not the case. And with Aniplex purposefully creating scarcity of their products, it just adds on the pile of what they are actually doing. Aniplex is saying, you ARE going to buy our expensive product at our prices (no retailer sale prices), or you will never ever be able to buy it (at least for the foreseeable future).

Using Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners as the beginning point of their new business model, which was February 2011 you can see it has been over five years now, and still no 'normal' BD release.

Sword Art Online was released starting in August 2013, and also still no 'normal' BD release.

"Normal" means a normal American BD release at an average American price point. I feel like I have to include my definition before people start jumping all over it.
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

While some of their titles like SAO, or Fate/Stay Zero would have probably done well no matter who licensed them, without specific sales and profit numbers, we don't know that they wouldn't have been anymore or less profitable. Even then it would only be conjecture. I have no doubt that Sentai and Funi's higher volume but lower MSRP models would have resulted in more units being sold, but they may not have necessarily resulted in higher revenue or profits for them, and likely would not have increased the amount of profits that Aniplex received for those shows.

But we do have the rough number on SAO volume 1 LtdBD+StdBD+StdDVD: 5k units; from ANNcast ep223 (around April 2015) with that marketing guy (I think) at AOA @ ~20:22.

Poorly constructed math to follow:

Avg price between the 3 releases at $79.31 multiply by 4 volumes for S1 of the series : $317 x 5000 = $1,586,266 (at the time, this volume was just to be release, so this is preorder number roughly 1month before it went on sale)
Avg BD sales in NA (taken from that recent Answerman about how UK sales is only 1/4 that of NA) at 10,000-12,000 : 12000 x $80 = $960,000

An estimated of 65% increased in revenues over the average with much less risk with the amount of discs/packages needed to produce at each volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6