• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Cameos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazume

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
Seeing Aldnoah.Zero and Glasslip in people's top 5 worst saddens me.

Glasslip was basically average (this coming from a fan of P.A. Works, their animation is just truly beautiful,) it actually pains me to say how bland it was, but it no way was it the worst.

But Aldnoah.Zero? *Insert Chad Warden Picture here*

"Come on now..."

I got nothing... I'm honestly baffled by that one being voted on.

Expressionless/stoic MC? Predicatable "oh mah gerd urobutchers gonna kill-em-all again" scenario? Was it really those reasons?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:04 am Reply with quote
kazume wrote:
Seeing Aldnoah.Zero and Glasslip in people's top 5 worst saddens me.

Glasslip was basically average (this coming from a fan of P.A. Works, their animation is just truly beautiful,) it actually pains me to say how bland it was, but it no way was it the worst.

But Aldnoah.Zero? *Insert Chad Warden Picture here*

"Come on now..."

I got nothing... I'm honestly baffled by that one being voted on.

Expressionless/stoic MC? Predicatable "oh mah gerd urobutchers gonna kill-em-all again" scenario? Was it really those reasons?

Average shows that try nothing but to be average cannot fail. AD0 proclaimed itself to be the second coming of the greatest work on Earth {you pick the first one} and wasn't.

I only watched AD0 up to five but when "Butterfingers" failed to hold on to his friend, all I could think is "Oops"... in a decidedly boring monotone thanks to the main character's reaction. After that, I couldn't take this series seriously at all. And the plot points only served to prove me right, especially that ending and its reaction among the "fans".

I really was too kind to it but Irregular insulted my intelligence with its class system, combat system, basic scenario of global warming/cooling and characters and their motivations rather than AD0's insistence that it's so great, provided it's the only interplanetary Earth mech war series you ever saw. Ever. Also, AD0 is only half over so it's prime material for worse of 2015.

As long as they don't let me down in histrionics and really dumb plot points, they're a lock. And they're starting off well even before the first episode's shown.

Glasslip was a slice of life series, only without the life. As a fan of the genre, I'd rate it lower than Lamune and that one looks like crap these days. Glasslip looked fantastic but without having a point even for a slice of life series, it was just a waste of money and time.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
Final episode (or was it 2nd to last episode?) of Pani Poni Dash! has Neon Genesis Evangelion reference.
consignia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
Pani Poni Dash has loads. The Clannad heroines appear at one point, and there's even a Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru appearance years before SHAFT adapted it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote
I think Kare Kano had a cameo with them talking to a live action Hideaki Anno (don't remember which epi.).
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Shirobako has had some fun camaeos of both anime creators and characters, but that's to be expected in an anime about anime, isn't it? Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
It seems we are all forgetting Hatsune Miku cameoing in one of the Sayounara Zetsubou Sensei series. I can't remember which season, though...
She also had a cameo in Lucky Star as well. Very Happy
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
cameo lists needs far more Hayate no Gotoku (2007-2008). This show had probably one of the highest volume of references than most.

I'll add my voice to the group that was a bit misled into thinking this would be about cameos when only Baccano really fits and the rest are just references.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Log Horizon's first season had some delightful cameos by Hero, Maou and the Warrior, Leafa (albeit with different color palettes), and Man With A Mission, who do the OP song.

Great catch!!! I never noticed these Anime hyper
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
cameo lists needs far more Hayate no Gotoku (2007-2008). This show had probably one of the highest volume of references than most.

I'll second that. Once the older sister of Hinagiku who's a neer'do'well sensei did a pretty good Light Yagami face. Kinda creepy actually.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
This is an interesting list about the cameos of different characters,voice actors,and creators in anime series. I've sometimes seen parodies of anime characters in American cartoons. I wonder if there are any parodies,cameos,or lookalikes of American cartoon characters in anime series or films?
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I also wonder about the customer in the cosplay cafe who looked like Kyon. Was that an employee cosplaying as part of the show? Or a customer who just happened to look like Kyon? Or was it really Kyon?
I never actually thought about that when I was watching Lucky Star. It just occurred to me now.

I thought Tomokazu Sugita voiced himself in an episode?
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
^
Yes. Tomokazu Sugita voiced Kyon in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and is credited as Kyon in that episode of Lucky Star.
Also, Crispin Freeman does Kyon in Haruhi and that Lucky Star episode.
So I guess that the customer was the "real" Kyon. So it was a cameo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
Zettai Karen Children and Hayate no Gotoku have a decent amount of crossover between each other.

sainta wrote:
The lack of Gintama is disturbing. It even had a strange mix between Will Smith and Obama

Is Gintama filled with cameos or parodies, though?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5