• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - ClannADCast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
For those that have seen the dub, what are your opinions on Luci Christian as Nagisa?

I guess Japan likes giving Brittney Karbowski these roles since she's been in Air, Kanon, Clannad, Little Busters!, and Angel Beats.
Fred the Barber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the dub, and find the dub work to be solid but not remarkable with the exceptions of Andrew Love as Akio (great performance, IMO), and maybe Shelley Calene-Black, who I thought really put a lot of life and character into Kyou.

I actually think Luci Christian is a remarkable voice actor, particularly from a versatility perspective, and that she has some really knockout performances out there. I adored her role as Inaba in Kokoro Connect, especially, but I remember thinking highly of her as Medusa in Soul Eater, and hilarious as the narrator in Okami-San. But, Nagisa isn't one of the roles I most respect her for.

Brittney Karbowski doesn't have nearly that variety of voices, that I have noticed (some variety, certainly, but not at the level of Luci Christian by a long shot), but she certainly has the voice acting chops, and there's a certain quality to her voice that really matches a lot of roles. If anything, I'd like to hear her in more leading roles.

Funny that you mentioned those two - I think Luci Christian is my favorite voice actor, and Brittney Karbowski my favorite voice. But, neither of them especially shines in Clannad.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Fred the Barber wrote:
Honestly, I think Hope and Zac were just too jaded to appreciate the show as they watched it: if you're expecting to see tropes, then of course you'll find them. [...]

This seems to be a "if you don't like what I like you aren't doing it right" argument.

Eh, I kind of agree with what Fred is saying. I don't know Hopes tastes that well, but Zac hates the stuff I hate, which makes those reviews hilarious, but he also hates the stuff I love which leaves... not a lot? I've felt like he's been rather jaded on anime for a long time. On the other hand, when he says something is actually good, I know I have to check it out.

Kadmos1 wrote:
For those that have seen the dub, what are your opinions on Luci Christian as Nagisa?

I was so excited when I heard she was cast as Nagisa - I thought it was a perfect choice. I wasn't disappointed either. Clannad's dub is... it gets better further along, but Luci Christian as Nagisa was the only thing that kept me watching those first few dub episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
I hope (mostly for their sake) that the next big anime watching/reviewing project that Zac and Hope take on is something they enjoy!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, this thread seems pretty much done. Let's leave it with this:

source
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I was left kind of stunned by Chris' final remark. "Western entertainment" (I'm assuming that includes all of Europe as well) never portrays suffering?

I think some anime fans definitely need to try watching stuff other than just anime and mainstream American films. If you're just restricting yourself to those two mediums, then it's not surprising that some people think anime is the greatest art form in human history.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Arkthelad wrote:
I have to say, I was left kind of stunned by Chris' final remark. "Western entertainment" (I'm assuming that includes all of Europe as well) never portrays suffering?

I think some anime fans definitely need to try watching stuff other than just anime and mainstream American films. If you're just restricting yourself to those two mediums, then it's not surprising that some people think anime is the greatest art form in human history.

That's an extraordinary misrepresentation of what I said, followed by a ludicrous strawman argument.

My point, backed up by Hope, is that the tenor and idiom of this style of show doesn't seem to have a Western counterpart. Romantic Melodramas for Men is not a thing here, and my point is that one of the reasons they work for me (if not for everyone) is the sense they give of a shared experience, of acknowledging that the viewer has gone through some shit, and they're not alone for doing so. Sort of the same way that Fruits Basket works every time a 14-year-old girl reads it and thinks "this is exactly like my horrible family."

Do horrible things never happen in Western media? Of course not. It'd be boring if it never did. But take this test: next time you see someone in the hospital on a TV show, are they a series regular or a guest part. It they're a regular, I guarantee they'll be back on their feet in two episodes or less. Our medical dramas are not about patients; they're about the professionals who treat them. And I do think that's kind of a detach, because many of us go through health scares at some point, and outside of the occasional The Fault in Our Stars, that doesn't get represented much.
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Please don't over-quote. -TK]
kingcity20

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Please don't over-quote. -TK]
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
kingcity20 wrote:
There is no such thing as bad writing, unless you are talking about it from a technical standpoint, i.e. grammar.

What about writing that contradicts itself, has the story or characters develop without demonstrating how they got there, or "railroads" the story by having characters and events move too obviously in one direction regardless of common sense or previous characterization, laying bare the artifice of fiction?

Moreover, there's little reason for someone to redundantly recite "in my opinion". Of course it's their opinion; they're speaking it. Rather if they're speaking the opinion of someone else is the time they need to clarify.

If there's no such thing as bad writing, there is good writing either because there is no frame of reference; in which case, how can you argue that any work has any qualities at all? Or if you mean to say all such judgements are subjective, what's the point of articulating disagreement with anyone? Or of talking about it at all?
kingcity20

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
kingcity20 wrote:
There is no such thing as bad writing, unless you are talking about it from a technical standpoint, i.e. grammar.

What about writing that contradicts itself, has the story or characters develop without demonstrating how they got there, or "railroads" the story by having characters and events move too obviously in one direction regardless of common sense or previous characterization, laying bare the artifice of fiction?

Moreover, there's little reason for someone to redundantly recite "in my opinion". Of course it's their opinion; they're speaking it. Rather if they're speaking the opinion of someone else is the time they need to clarify.

If there's no such thing as bad writing, there is good writing either because there is no frame of reference; in which case, how can you argue that any work has any qualities at all? Or if you mean to say all such judgements are subjective, what's the point of articulating disagreement with anyone? Or of talking about it at all?

Still not bad writing, yes all judgments are subjective and I never argued against discussing opinions. There is a gigantic difference between saying "This is bad writing," vs saying, "This is a style of writing i'm not to fond of," or, "This style of writing makes the story hard to comprehend," etc. Saying, "This is bad writing," even if it is just an opinion comes off as if she dictates what good or bad writing is, which she has no authority to dictate. Look at abstract art, whether you like or dislike it, whether you think it requires skill, or whether it is complex or just simple circles it is still art; and no one has the authority to call it good or bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5