• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Edits Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'm a Christian, and I'm an FMA fan, and I completely understand WHY they did the edit.

I mean, personally, probably someone who would be upset by the cross would've already been upset by the seven deadly sins reference, or Ed's "we're the closest things to gods there is" rant, so in the grand scheme of things, I don't know if it would've mattered *that* much, either way. That being said, Ed being a (at times slightly arrogant) athiest isn't nearly as big of an issue as someone hanging from a cross would be for a Christian.

Now, do Christians place *too* much importance on the cross? I would say probably. It was really Jesus that did the saving, the cross was just a piece of wood, in the end. BUT, it's still the Christian's symbol of God's sacrifice--the biggest event in our lives, and we believe in history--so when it's taken 'lightly' we take offense. It's similar to how, say, an african-american might react to a Confederate flag, for example. It's different, of course, but seeing a cross without the religious context has the "Oh, ew, they're totally misusing this part of my history" knee-jerk feeling.

So, really, although I would've been *okay* without the edit, the edit doesn't *bother* me either. To me, the gesture shows a sensitivity to beliefs that matter to me, which I appreciate. Now, does this mean I'm going to encourage manga companies to edit works? No. I"m not really for the editing. But I appreciate what they're trying to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
piccolo14217

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
HAHA I'M SO HAPPY! I was mad enough when Fuu and Jin were almost crucified in Samurai Champloo (Episode 9). And then in Hellsing episode 2 when they showed vampires writing anti-christian things on walls!! I mean I bought those and I loved them but... Ahh heck I'm mad about this edit too. Editing of anykind takes away from the artists original portrayal of the events that occur in HIS (in this case HER) orignal story. I don't see people crying about Fine Art showing nudity or violence so why should we care when a cross is shown in a manga. Sins die on the cross! That's Christianity's belief!
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote

Viz Media, what were you thinking? I thought you were a company that never censors. Now you are an editor? Your action can't be more worst than Todd McFarlane making Spawn toys look like DC Comics toys.

However, [adult swim] did remove the brain explosion scene in one episode of FMA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
denkigrve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
Here's the real question: If no one created an article about it, would any of you be complaining? I'm guessing not.

Seriously, you would think that there would be more important things to criticize, especially today.

If no one knew what happened in the '30s and '40s with The Holocaust, would anyone be complaining? I'm guessing not.

That's a whole different level from an edit in a manga. Mass human genocide or an image or two that were edited? Gee let's think about this. Josh you really need to take a breather, and stop posting if you're getting to this type of level. This is a simple edit to avoid a potential issue with people who could raise and issue, and Viz could suffer in their largest market. Children and Teens. They didn't murder Millions of people. Please don't do that again.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
I I think there are people out there who'd get offended by seeing a cross used in an "un-holy" setting and get angered by it, and therefore cause a drop in sales of the manga.

Conversely, I believe the fact that it was edited in this manner will cause a larger drop in sales than leaving it unedited (assuming leaving it unedited would cause a drop in sales, which I do not believe).
LordOfPie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm annoyed at this edit just because it's such a stupidly pointless little edit. Odds are the people who would be offended by someone being pinned to a cross would have been offended way sooner than volume 8 by the fact that it's a comic about two young boys using "unholy" powers to attempt and revive their deceased mother. It's annoying (and fairly funny) because you realize someone thought this particular frame would be such a massive issue that they had to get one of their art guys to go back and redraw large parts of it.

Although it's not as hilarious as those Tokyopop edits Wolverine Princess linked to. It utterly astounds me to think that anyone at Tokyopop would consider that scene less offensive on the basis of the tits no longer having visible nipples. Laughing

Riyousha wrote:
Viz Media, what were you thinking? I thought you were a company that never censors.

Viz has years of experience editing stuff.
tidusora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering why people are getting mad, it's just a rock edit. But I see why Viz did edit it.

I mean, this might get some controversy, and might actually get banned off of shelves, as some other things have.

Some very religious people tend to boycott for the smallest things. See a cross, and they flip out if it's not to compliment or talk about god. See someone else on a cross, they feel ofended as they think they're making fun of their religion, they think its inappropriate for those who are true to their religioin, etc.

Why complain about the edit? It's just a rock. Those complainers, are you going to complain if Viz edits a big cup to a small cup? Come on, they just edited something that might be controversial.
Raoh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
LordOfPie wrote:
I'm annoyed at this edit just because it's such a stupidly pointless little edit. Odds are the people who would be offended by someone being pinned to a cross would have been offended way sooner than volume 8 by the fact that it's a comic about two young boys using "unholy" powers to attempt and revive their deceased mother. It's annoying (and fairly funny) because you realize someone thought this particular frame would be such a massive issue that they had to get one of their art guys to go back and redraw large parts of it.

THANK YOU!

Since my opinion was already stated, I have no need to type it, now. So, thank you.

Seriously, though, wow. Viz just......wow.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote
What I find to be so wierd is that they never used to do this stuff. Back in my days as a SJ reader, I recall a crusifixion in Naruto, yet they edit it here. And I recall back in the same day, Kazemaru from YYH had that symbol on his forehead, yet one of my friends was recently ranting about them removing it in Naruto.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:26 pm Reply with quote
this one edit isn't as extreme as what CMX did with Tenjho Tenge...

while i see the edit as somewhat unnecessary, it's COULD have had potential to have far more worse protest from the religious groups...

when you have such a high profile title as FMA, the original panel could have had backlash from different Christian groups...

i don't see the problem with edit since the point of being pinned down did not change the plot...

as someone said before, dammed if you do, dammed if you don't....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Storm Princess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Hello return of the stupid DenGeki Pikachu edits of ol' Rolling Eyes ...

Being crucified was once a standard way of exicusion...Jesus wasn't the only one. So I don't see where Greed being chained to a stone cross is offencive in anyway...unless because it's Greed instead of some other character.

Last edited by Storm Princess on Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mini_Alquemist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
...I don't see why so much complaining is made for this, it won't change the story!!! It's just a very very VERY minor change in which if they hadn't published it, many people wouldn't have seen the difference.
Relax!!
SharinganEyes92

Josh7289 wrote:
Conversely, I believe the fact that it was edited in this manner will cause a larger drop in sales than leaving it unedited (assuming leaving it unedited would cause a drop in sales, which I do not believe).

True, but seriously, it's just a rock that they edited. I see how some die-hard fans might find it repulsive that they edited out something like that, but c'mon, is such a minor edit really going to stop you from purchasing an otherwise good volume of an exceptional series? Are people who are atheist or of a different religion really going to find a cross taken out that big?

No offense, but I think Christians are easily offended when someone brings their religion into question (or at least the ones that I know), and that seeing a cross in an "un-holy" sense is very offensive. If I were to go up to my Ethics teacher (who is a pretty big Mormon, did missionary work, and actually lived more than half of his life in Japan), show him the picture and ask his thoughts on it, he'd find it offensive, even though he has experienced and knows of Japan's loose views on Christianity. Therefore, I think their main loss would be in the Christian demographic.

But, Josh7289, I'd love to hear what more you have to say on how leaving it unedited or how this edit affects the anime/manga community who would not be offended by the cross.
v1cious

geez, 5 pages already? i think this thread is getting a bit out of hand. i never say this, but maybe it's time for the lock.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
geez, 5 pages already? i think this thread is getting a bit out of hand. i never say this, but maybe it's time for the lock.

This thread won't get locked. I promise. Just let the people talk about that FMA edit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 27