• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Stops Shipping Sword Art Online DVD Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Isn't there software you can get to allow your laptop to play Blu-rays? I have a MacBook Pro from 2011, and I found this that might work with it: http://download.cnet.com/Free-Mac-Blu-ray-Player/3000-13632_4-75891746.html

Unfortunately they don't release everything new onto Blu-ray either. I'm still waiting on FUNimation to release Deadman Wonderland onto Blu-ray. It's taking FOREVER.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Isn't there software you can get to allow your laptop to play Blu-rays? I have a MacBook Pro from 2011, and I found this that might work with it: http://download.cnet.com/Free-Mac-Blu-ray-Player/3000-13632_4-75891746.html

Unfortunately they don't release everything new onto Blu-ray either. I'm still waiting on FUNimation to release Deadman Wonderland onto Blu-ray. It's taking FOREVER.

Perhaps I am wrong, but i think that is a software package, that will allow you to use an existing Blu-Ray player on your laptop. The external Blu-Ray player I bought for my HP Envy, had software so out of date, that I actually had to pay for a software upgrade in order to play newer BD's. Also according to the reviews on that link you provided, that software won't allow you to play DVD's.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Ack! I guess hooking an external one would be the best bet. I just really want to play my Blu-rays on my laptop.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It sucks they botched it but it happens sometimes. No ones perfect. Anyway, I bought the BD version so I'm good. It still boggles me that people watch anime on DVD over BD. I'll be glad when company's move straight to BD. Anime looks so much better in 1080p, I just can't go back to 480i.

Agreed, and given the choice I would watch it on blue ray rather than DVD, but they don't offer that choice. You have to pay $50 more for the Blue ray, which is just insane. Don't even try to defend that, it's completely indefensible in any rational world. So if they charge $40 for the DVD and $90 for the blue ray, I'm buying the DVD version, because I'm not an idiot. If only the $90 version were available, I would buy neither. Even $40 is too much, but I wanted to get my copy signed, and I couldn't figure out how to get my hard drive signed.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

Agreed, and given the choice I would watch it on blue ray rather than DVD, but they don't offer that choice. You have to pay $50 more for the Blue ray, which is just insane. Don't even try to defend that, it's completely indefensible in any rational world. So if they charge $40 for the DVD and $90 for the blue ray, I'm buying the DVD version, because I'm not an idiot. If only the $90 version were available, I would buy neither. Even $40 is too much, but I wanted to get my copy signed, and I couldn't figure out how to get my hard drive signed.

You aren't just paying $50 more to watch the Blu-ray...its a completely different package. To some fans that might not be worth the jump in price but for the others, die hard fans of the franchise, its acceptable. Whats not acceptable is an anything less than perfect product when you are paying a luxurious price. I'm pretty sure Aniplex knows this and makes damn sure to jump on any issues the moment they arise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5