• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HENNEKO Author: Anime's Foreign Product Placement to Be Removed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Though don't really blame him for financial reason, I think the author missed the opportunity here to be the better man and tell people to grow up.

Whats to say the author himself wasn't upset to see K-pop in his LN adaption?

As I mentioned, whether he likes k-pop or not doesn't matter; but the people's reaction to an insignificant poster portrays an immaturity that everyone agrees needs to be corrected at some point. It's the people's reaction that should spur his action, moreso than his own preference.

That action would likely prevent him from ever getting another one of his properties animated, if he goes out of his way to try to kill the profits for everyone involved in getting his LN adapted. Is it really worth career suicide to make some silly statement that would only piss off his fans?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Though don't really blame him for financial reason, I think the author missed the opportunity here to be the better man and tell people to grow up.

As I mentioned, whether he likes k-pop or not doesn't matter; but the people's reaction to an insignificant poster portrays an immaturity that everyone agrees needs to be corrected at some point. It's the people's reaction that should spur his action, moreso than his own preference.

That action would likely prevent him from ever getting any one of his properties animated, if he goes out of his way to try to kill the profits for everyone involved in getting his LN adapted. Is it really worth career suicide to make some silly statement that would only piss off his fans?

Some people have done that before, yes. Some principles they valued more than money. And sometimes they got more respect for it.

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon May 06, 2013 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

That action would likely prevent him from ever getting another one of his properties animated, if he goes out of his way to try to kill the profits for everyone involved in getting his LN adapted. Is it really worth career suicide to make some silly statement that would only piss off his fans?

Then he has no integrity and does not deserve to be an artist.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

That action would likely prevent him from ever getting any one of his properties animated, if he goes out of his way to try to kill the profits for everyone involved in getting his LN adapted. Is it really worth career suicide to make some silly statement that would only piss off his fans?

Some people have done that before, yes. Some principles they valued more than money. And sometimes they got more respect for it.

But what if he isn't into the whole "I'm a huge rebel of the current Japanese social climate, and I'll throw away my career just to send a message" kinda person? What if he's just a LN writer who wants to have a steady career?
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Then he has no integrity and does not deserve to be an artist.

Why do I have a feeling that a majority of this post is filled with priveleged lives-off-mommy-and-daddy's-income people so unattuned to living expenses and surviving they don't even notice it.

Oh wait, that's because it is.

Must be real fun, being so priveleged you can't see two goddamn feet in front of yourself.

spoiler[>_> Sorry, had to]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

But what if he isn't into the whole "I'm a huge rebel of the current Japanese social climate, and I'll throw away my career just to send a message" kinda person? What if he's just a LN writer who wants to have a steady career?

S'why I don't really blame him for financial reason, but also recognize he's missing an opportunity to go beyond the normal rat-race. That's why I mentioned he may regret missing it later in life, wish could've done something greater given the chance again.

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon May 06, 2013 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
You're still going under the assumption the LN author himself thinks that people are being racist about it.. Most LN authors are otaku themselves, so why would you think he wouldn't be upset about it himself?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
You're still going under the assumption the LN author himself thinks that people are being racist about it.. Most LN authors are otaku themselves, so why would you think he wouldn't be upset about it himself?

We're both making assumptions about him. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, since if he isn't, then that makes it even worse.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
Hence why the issue with "racism" here is tricky. Regardless of what we call it in the West, to them, they're the ones feeling like they need to preserve themselves and keep themselves "pure." Pointing out that they're the "bad guys" because they're "racist" does no one any good. Rather, gradual change under the skin is the only true way to make change, assuming there isn't a huge national movement driven by a major incident. And trust me--these small things are happening. J-Dramas like "Smile" and the influx of Korean entertainment is proof of that. In fact, backlashes like this are kinda a reaction to this change by people who fear their Japanese values being de-valued. And to clarify, I'm not saying they value racism. I'm just saying racism is partially a reaction to their fear of losing their uniqueness, so the issue is complicated.

I don't know, saying things like "keeping themselves pure", doesn't sound that tricky. It in fact sounds exactly like racism.

The "extra work" excuse was pure bullshit. It barely took any more work to add that one thing in then it did to animate the entirety of the show.

But I'm not saying it isn't "racism" of a sort. It's just that we tend to cry "racism" when there are underlying issues laying behind that initial concept. Looking at the point of view from a purely Western standpoint is just going to assert to them that we understand nothing about them, and thus, have no right to say anything to them about it. Japanese people have a history of "purity." It is something they're proud over because it's one of the few major parts of their collective identity they have left, after the influx of "modernization" (also called, "Westernization" in other parts of the world--for a good reason, too).

And the "extra work" thing is not pure bs. At least, not in Japan. You're causing an inconvenience for hard-working people. No matter how small, causing an inconvenience without any inkling of remorse is just... bad in Japan. And if you know the animation industry, you also know how hard it is to make deadlines, let alone change something you didn't intend on changing before by your own volition.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Kaisos Erranon wrote:

In a single post, you have managed to not only claim that Sakurasou and Nichijou are the "same genre", but also that anime which sell poorly do so solely because they are "bad".
Congratulations! You win the stupid award.

Wow, do you even buy anime, bro?

I said Pet girl is bad AND Nichijou is bad.
Cry all you like, but these shows are proven failures, in viewer ratings and in sales. Nichijou is so damn bad not even sentai films has touched it yet. You think some reviews and comments by a bunch of internet nerds is going to change things? lmfao

ain't nobody got time for that. most people do not sit on the internet all day and blog on 2CH like you seem to believe. people with real jobs have to go to work and they buy what they like when they like for their own entertainment purposes.

Congratulations! You just won the "get a job" award.
and here is your consolation prize, the "learn2read" award.

so you think there are reasons "good" anime sells bad?
Misaka wants to tell you why that's BS.

Aniplex, on the other hand, sells "good" anime and charges alot for them yet people still buy them.
your argument is invalid. If you think people don't buy "bad" anime for "political" reasons, it's pretty easy to see who the moron is here.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:

In a single post, you have managed to not only claim that Sakurasou and Nichijou are the "same genre", but also that anime which sell poorly do so solely because they are "bad".
Congratulations! You win the stupid award.

Cry all you like, but these shows are proven failures, in viewer ratings and in sales. Nichijou is so damn bad not even sentai films has touched it yet. You think some reviews and comments by a bunch of internet nerds is going to change things? lmfao

ain't nobody got time for that. most people do not sit on the internet all day and blog on 2CH like you seem to believe. people with real jobs have to go to work and they buy what they like when they like for their own entertainment purposes.

Congratulations! You just won the "get a job" award.
and here is your consolation prize, the "learn2read" award.

so you think there are reasons "good" anime sells bad?
Misaka wants to tell you why that's BS.

Aniplex, on the other hand, sells "good" anime and charges alot for them yet people still buy them.
your argument is invalid. If you think people don't buy "bad" anime for "political" reasons, it's pretty easy to see who the moron is here.

Dennou Coil
Tokyo Magintudide
Kurenai

These are just some examples of really decent anime that sold horribly. Sales don't mean sh** to me in any fandom at this point. The Twilight series alone has sold millions of copies of books/dvd's, however does that mean it's a good romance/drama/fantasy series??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

But who're we kidding here, everyone hates those stuff to begin with.

Again, who is this "everyone" who hates rap music and Snoop Dogg, you speak of?

Juno016 wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
Hence why the issue with "racism" here is tricky. Regardless of what we call it in the West, to them, they're the ones feeling like they need to preserve themselves and keep themselves "pure." Pointing out that they're the "bad guys" because they're "racist" does no one any good. Rather, gradual change under the skin is the only true way to make change, assuming there isn't a huge national movement driven by a major incident. And trust me--these small things are happening. J-Dramas like "Smile" and the influx of Korean entertainment is proof of that. In fact, backlashes like this are kinda a reaction to this change by people who fear their Japanese values being de-valued. And to clarify, I'm not saying they value racism. I'm just saying racism is partially a reaction to their fear of losing their uniqueness, so the issue is complicated.

I don't know, saying things like "keeping themselves pure", doesn't sound that tricky. It in fact sounds exactly like racism.

The "extra work" excuse was pure bullshit. It barely took any more work to add that one thing in then it did to animate the entirety of the show.

But I'm not saying it isn't "racism" of a sort. It's just that we tend to cry "racism" when there are underlying issues laying behind that initial concept. Looking at the point of view from a purely Western standpoint is just going to assert to them that we understand nothing about them, and thus, have no right to say anything to them about it. Japanese people have a history of "purity." It is something they're proud over because it's one of the few major parts of their collective identity they have left, after the influx of "modernization" (also called, "Westernization" in other parts of the world--for a good reason, too).

And the "extra work" thing is not pure bs. At least, not in Japan. You're causing an inconvenience for hard-working people. No matter how small, causing an inconvenience without any inkling of remorse is just... bad in Japan. And if you know the animation industry, you also know how hard it is to make deadlines, let alone change something you didn't intend on changing before by your own volition.

Yes. wanting to keep the race "pure", has often been the driving motivation of racism throughout the years. The more you try to explain it away as "It's racism, but not really racism", the more it just sounds like plain racism.

And I highly doubt that one image was an kind of load-bearing extra work. And if anything, forcing them to remove it would in fact be the extra work, he's so against.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

First things first. Never use "nerd" as an insult in an internet forum. If you took to the time to register an account in a forum dedicated to an entertainment medium, you're a nerd too.

Second, "good anime sells well and bad anime sells poorly" logic is completely flawed as anyone from any entertainment industry can tell you. There has already been plenty of amazing series that did terribly, while we can also have utter trash somehow make enough money to warrant a sequel.

Chagen46 wrote:

IT'S ONE DAMN POSTER IN ONE DAMN SCENE

Nobody could be this sensitive about a background detail. There's a racial component behind this and your apologism isn't helping.

Again, this may just be "one damn poster in one damn scene" of a work. But the fact of the matter is that this happens to be HIS work. Any artist would be outraged if his work was adapted in a way he had no involvement or say in.

Whether the fan and author's possible dislike of k-pop stems from racism or not doesn't matter in the end, it's just racism if it is, and if it isn't, they adapted the LN unfaithfully by the author's own standards. That, is far worse than whatever you can get out of racism if you are a true fan of the work. Especially in a country that isn't so overly PC as North American ones.

Last edited by Gon*Gon on Tue May 07, 2013 12:23 am; edited 2 times in total
NGK

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
kgw wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
So otakus in Japan are mad that a K-pop boyband, Infinite is advertising itself on the manga, yet this is the same Japan that won't export J-dramas and J-pop outside of Asia to compete with Korea on the international level

Mind you, there were real tries to release dramas outside Asia. They didn't work.

Oh, and Japanese broadcasters do offer they dramas for licensing. I know it because I had their leaflets in my hands.

That's funny, I'm seeing Korean dramas doing really well around the world. So what does that prove? Asian dramas can do well outside of Asia. I look at the #of J-dramas online, there's only quite a few, while there are more K-dramas and Chinese-language dramas (from Taiwan, Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Singapore) then J-dramas. Let me give you the real number of J-dramas I found on legal streaming sites:

Viki-6 J-dramas

Crunchyroll-9 J-dramas

Dramafever-2 J-dramas

and yet I can find more K-dramas and Chinese language dramas on those 3 sites then J-dramas.

I like to add that Arirang TV and KBS World broadcast K-dramas for international audience, while NHK World never broadcast J-drama in the US or anywhere else, so why didn't Japan broadcast J-drama on NHK World if they wanted to show J-drama outside of Japan to international audience? If Japanese broadcasters had problem licensing J-dramas to other part of the world, why not have NHK World broadcast J-drama to international audiences just like how Arirang TV and KBS World broadcast K-drama to international audiences? So what does that tell you? Japan is not putting any effort on promoting J-drama, this is why Japan is getting beaten by Korea on a international level. Japan is not putting any effort to export more J-dramas, if they did that, I would've seen like maybe 50 to 100 J-dramas on those 3 sites already, but nope just quite a few while K-dramas and Chinese language dramas are way ahead of J-drama in term of availability and the catalogs.

Let's just say Japanese marketing and business acumen... are not that strong to begin with. They can't even begin to look beyond their island for greater opportunities (except for the established - Japan Inc.)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

Again, this may just be "one damn poster in one damn scene" of a work. But the fact of the matter is that this happens to be HIS work. Any artist would be outraged if his work was adapted in a way he had no involvement or say in.

Pretty sure that's a how it's frequently done. And do you seriously think the original artists/authors have the time or inclination to go over every scene and approve all of the background imagery? They didn't change the storyline or change a character's background story or something, it was a random poster in the background.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7