• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Clannad, Blue Drop, Ghost Hound, Tears to Tiara Get Dubs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Well I was planning on seeing Ghost Hound sometime or later anyway, so maybe I'll get a chance to scoop up a super cheap sub-only release. If not oh well, at least it's getting a dub!
Setcor_X

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Clannad is going to get a dub! That sounds like great news to me. I can't wait. he he Anime smile
The Count

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Well now I can get Tears of Tiara off my hard drive. I'm one of those fan who was B****ing "noooo, sub only I'm not buying", but now I feel a bit justified in doing so. All of these except Blue Drop are definite purchases for me. And if this works out well maybe they'll do the same for MariexHolic.

Its funny to me ADV went from being my favorite publisher in the early 2000's, then they went on my list of publishers that were a complete joke a year ago along with Bandai. But with this news they show they can still do things proper (in my eyes) and show me that they're still relevant.
Sora N

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sure how Sentai is going to handle the “upgrading”…however I currently own Blue Drop and Tears to Tiara so; I would like to get the re-release for those two series.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
All right, dubbies - no more excuses, time to put your money where your mouth is.
Even though I have no intention of trading in my sets of these shows (unless the hybrid disks were made available as singles, with artboxes...which is highly unlikely) I'm quite happy to hear this news. For one thing, it means that Sentai must be doing quite well, if they managed to scrape together enough money for pay for all of these. For another, this means that maybe dub fans will stop ragging on Sentai so much. And, most importantly, it now means that dub fans can watch these shows, the way they want to, which is awesome.

The people who complained to the high heavens about the lack of dubs for these shows really do need to cough up the dough for these dubs, however. Otherwise, the cost of the dubs won't be covered, this experiment will be viewed as a failure, and we'll be back to sub-only. And there will be even less sympathy for those who complain about lack of dubs.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Clannad I expected, but Blue Drop is a most pleasant surprise! Smile

I'll be "upgrading" both. <3
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Rather shocking news, but it should, at least, quell a lot of complaints.

How does a dub correct the grammar mistake complaints? Wink

Regardless, I'm VERY HAPPY despite just spending $80 on the Clannad series.

As for Blue Drop, I didn't buy the series, but will now. Nothing against the sub version, but I've only watched 4 eps on TANoD and it hooked me (but not enough to spoil it). This news is just a bonus now.

Quote:
And I will be very curious to see exactly how this upgrade thing is going to work.

That bit of the article threw me for a loop and has me curious too. Though, to save money, I wouldn't be surprised if it's an upgrade on DVDs: send them to SF, plus a little cash, and get the dub DVDs in return.
*readies stamps.
Smile

I wonder if this includes After Story as well?

Oh, and I completely agree with the Hell Girl comments.
MARl0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Sentai has officially earned my cash. I will buy every single one of these just to show my support for their dubs.

I just hope they don't leave Clannad After Story in the cold. It would be lame to only dub half the series.
Katane

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen much of Clannad not what I did see wasn't enough to keep me interested but I do wish all of these series the best of luck Dubbed

Reibooi wrote:
Best news I have heard all day.

Now all they need to do is Dub Hell Girl 2 and try to get the original cast(which is probably impossible) and we will have a winner Very Happy

Or at lease keep Brina Palencia as Ai.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I’m just as surprised and amazed as everyone else that Sentai is actually, finally dubbing their titles, and titles they already released. I wasn’t sure about how I felt about it when I read the headline. I would prefer having the option to choose what language to watch my Anime in, but if the subbed version is all that’s available I was thankful enough I still got to see Clannad, Ghost Hound, and Blue Drop. The idea of dubs sounds great, but I wasn’t crazy about the idea of spending extra money on the new versions, so this upgrade program sounds like a real winner. I’d love to see Ghost Hound and Blue Drop dubbed, but unlike most other forumites I don’t know about Clannad. Watching that series was beautiful in Japanese, but if I watched it in English it may come across rather cheesy, but I don’t really know until it happens. Anyway, this sounds like good stuff. Maybe they'll eventually give the same treatment for You're Under Arrest?

Last edited by pachy_boy on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmmmmmm...

...Please don't make half of the dub good and the other half mediocre.

Like, ya know, ADV did with Air.

...Cause the summer arc was awfully dubbed.
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I have no problems with subs since its how I watch most everything. However, I am glad they are dubbing for those who really want it though. That way more people will purchase and enjoy these shows.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
So far as the upgrade plan goes, there is already some precedent from back in 09 when Rightstuf/Nozomi Entertainment remastered The Irresponsible Captain Tylor and offered to let fans trade in their old DVD's for the remastered ones.

In that case, they charged a flat fee of $20. Notably, this was only for the new discs, packaging was not exchanged and was not allowed to be exchanged for that matter. Part of the reason may have been cost; another is surely that the original release had certain extras that fans wouldn't have wanted to give up (an extras disc, a soundtrack, perhaps the original box).

This is no guarantee of what Sentai will do, of course, but I'll be surprised if the program isn't pretty close to that in terms of cost for us consumers.
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I knew about Clannad, but Ghost Hound TOO?! Now I have 2 DVDs to upgrade! And I can finish Ghost Hound! Probably Clannad too . . .

Wait, does anyone know how the Upgrade WORKS? Or how much it costs? i.e. Do you mail your DVD to them with a check and they send you the bilingual DVD?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Sentai, you have my unfettered gratitude. Two of these are insta-buys for me. And I will certainly look into the others as well. Knowing me I will probably end up getting them all. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13