• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Freezing BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Key,

I was thinking about Claymore when someone earlier talked about implanting alien DNA into young women. I thought about how differently the same issues are portrayed... I mean the circumstances around them and how the Organization in Claymore kept control of the Claymores and how they responded if a Claymore left the reservation. I think it's interesting and apt to contrast and compare Claymore and Freezing to each other, though I won't do that here.

And that's only one of the reasons why I specifically mentioned Claymore as one of the titles that this one is derived from. The tone, attitudes of the female warriors towards each other, general spirit of cruelty, and spoiler[the way the aliens implants can cause the warriors to lose control and flip to the Dark Side] are also similar. In Claymore, though, the torturous parts seemed more like natural occurrences than the aggrandized stunts that they are here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
well with all mention about on whole Freezing anime review give wonder how will other upcoming Funi-service anime will get?

give yea we know DxD's funi dub coming up with s2 on the way?

oh boy can't wait see how it goes in review mode & yet back to Freezing so overall besides me give i seen a lot really is more worth many watching?
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
I do not understand why moderators continually allow other forum users to post opinions that are not beneficial to review topics. How is a person's opinion of a series that is based only on the first episode useful in the discussion of whether or not the entire show is good.

How do these comments contribute to the discussion of a full review of a show? If this was preview guide than it would be the right place to discuss those beliefs, but these topics are for people who are curious to see other people's opinions on whether they should buy the show for the english dub or to see people's views who actually watched the whole show.

On a side note this show should not have been taken too seriously or realistically after you saw the second episode, but those viewers that only saw one episode would not have known.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:
I do not understand why moderators continually allow other forum users to post opinions that are not beneficial to review topics. How is a person's opinion of a series that is based only on the first episode useful in the discussion of whether or not the entire show is good.
In general, people only finish a series if they liked it (or at least could tolerate it). If you require everyone to watch the whole show in order to post, you're just creating an echo chamber.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh great, another person who wants to censor everyone who doesn't agree with them.

What happens in the case where a person has seen the entire show and completely disagrees with the review? Do their posts gets removed too because it might confuse potential buyers?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Realism went out the window in this one the first time Ganessa Roland started manipulating around those chains of hers, if not earlier.

Since when the presence of psionic powers in a story are reason enough to say any pretense of realism is inexistant? I suppose you would then pair Freezing with a certain scientific railgun in lack if realism since it also has psionics. Last time I checked we are talking about science fiction here, so if you have any valid reason to say realism is inexistant, please do share them with us.

Quote:
How fast and completely Pandoras can heal from major trauma is never detailed and inconsistently applied, unlike in something like, say, Claymore.

There was no explanation at all of how teleportation works in Star Trek, nor there was any explanation of how a human beings could survive the atrocious aceleration you experience inside a cannonball shot to the moon in From the earth to the moon. So it is nothing new that sometimes science fiction expects reality to catch up, Julius Verne had no f*ck*ng idea about nuclear fission but he envisioned the invention of a new power source that could be small enough to power a submarine and guess how the first U.S. nuclear submarine was named?

Last edited by mangamuscle on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:42 am; edited 5 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

There was no explanation at all of how teleportation works in Star Trek

*ahem*
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The latter is not even close to what he said. What he actually said is:

"I'm sorry, but all I'm getting from this is an attempt to rationalize the brutality into something acceptable and "realistic". I just can't agree with your points."

It is obvious that he cannot agree with my points. It is obvious that we are rationalizing a work of fiction. But you both FAIL to point where my rationalization is flawed.

Quote:
He is saying that he can't agree with your points because they come off as an empty rationalization. And he's right.

Again, saying someones rationalization is empty is not proof, you need to come with a logical reason.

Quote:
Whether you can potentially explain all the cruel and violent acts in this show as "realistic" is pretty meaningless for a show like this.It might be valid if we were talking about a show that was actually trying to be a dark and realistic examination of violence. However, (and I can't emphasize this enough), we aren't. We're talking about a show that is essentially an Ikki Tousen style titty fighter.

In other words you are saying "If this were the kind of show I liked it would be ok, but since I dislike it then any rationalization you can think of is invalid". That is not a logical reason just in case you had any doubts.

Quote:
This is a show that is totally fundamentally absurd.

ANY science fiction show can be called absurd, be it Dr. WHO, Star Trek or Star Wars. You are simply badmouting a show that you dislike, what a waste of time. I dislike sports anime but you wont ever see me making any comments about them (unless I liked them like i.e. Moshidora).

Quote:
More over, the intent of the show couldn't be more obvious. This is a show designed from the ground up to provide titillation for men.

Could you please repeat me the reason the female officers in the original Star Trek wear in every single episode miniskirts and skin thight uniforms? If you answered FAN SERVICE you would be right, so we can see that science fiction and fan service have been present in TV shows since decades before Freezing.

Quote:
Hence, whether it is "realistic" that all that sadism be in there, it could not be more obvious that this isn't why it's in there. Nor does it make it any more appropriate either.

So you are going to tell US what is apropiate, did you just became a self proclaimed pope of a church of your invention or something? Whatever the reason we are not interested in hearing what you might call or not apropiate, at least I am an adult that can judge by myself.

Quote:
I think I mentioned this before but I don't actually object to sadism and violence. I just want it to serve a purpose and sure as hell don't want to see it in a goofy fanservice show alongside a bunch of cute, half naked girls who are apparently supposed to be arousing. Whether this is "realistic" or somehow plot justified changes nothing.

[Removed. We can do without the labeling and insulting of others. Sometimes people disagree and have their own valid reasons based on their own perceptions. It is insulting and condescending to label someone as prejudiced simply because you don't see eye to eye. Make your points, but ditch the accusations. - Keonyn]

Last edited by mangamuscle on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:45 pm; edited 5 times in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

There was no explanation at all of how teleportation works in Star Trek

*ahem*

Tell me in what episode of the original Star Trek series was this stated, anything else is retrofitting. Besides, you almost made me forget I was expecting an explanation of how it would work in the real world
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Tell me in what episode of the original Star Trek series was this stated, anything else is retrofitting. Besides, you almost made me forget I was expecting an explanation of how it would work in the real world

I'm not even certain what the point of this discussion is anymore, honestly.

I still think that Freezing is a dumb, but entertaining show that has a large skeeviness factor to it that really won't agree with a lot of people.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:

How do these comments contribute to the discussion of a full review of a show?

Why not? In my post I do not ever make any sort of remarks as to Freezing as a whole. It deals entirely with my disappointment in the first episode. If I had made disparaging remarks about the entire series then of course that would have been out of line. However, noting my thoughts on the first episode does not at all circumvent discussion for the show as a whole. Stunting any and all criticism, particularly criticism about a small part of the show, merely because the one criticizing has not seen the show in full is not what this forum is about.

And if people want to say that I missed out on something amazing and that there is a so very important reason behind why Satellizer doesn't punch the male protagonists face immediately after he gropes her, then that's great. Feel free to say so. That's what forums are for. To get all sorts of different views and try and discuss together to at least get our opinions out there.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I'm surprised to see the art get such a high grade here. Main reason I dropped it was because the art was so generic and unappealing to me.

I won't dispute that it is far from the most original-looking series out there, but for what it is, the artistry is still well-done.

But of course. Sure it's no Queens Blade when it comes to quality , but it's still decent enough. And i don't see the dub mediocre at all. Sure it's not perfect,but it's definitely watchable. I would give it a B+ at best,but then again I'm mainly a dub only pursuit otaku,so i cant judge or compare between dubs and subs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Again, saying someones rationalization is empty is not proof, you need to come with a logical reason.

Uh huh. Obviously this is exactly what I proceeded to do in the rest of my post following this sentence. Please stop cutting out every individual sentence of my post and then pretending they stand alone.

Quote:
In other words you are saying "If this were the kind of show I liked it would be ok, but since I dislike it then any rationalization you can think of is invalid".

That's not what I said at all. Whether it is the kind of show I like is irrelevant. My point is that invoking "realism" to justify the cruelty is totally contradictory when the rest of the show isn't realistic at all.

Quote:
So you are going to tell US what is apropiate, did you just became a self proclaimed pope of a church of your invention or something?

That's not what "appropriate" means. To say something is not appropriate simply means it is not suitable or fitting for a particular situation. I'm not making any kind of moral judgment here. Rather, I'm saying is that this kind supposedly "realistic" sadism is unsuitable for an otherwise unrealistic and silly show like Freezing. It a show more suited to such elements it would perhaps be fine.

Quote:
Could you please repeat me the reason the female officers in the original Star Trek wear in every single episode miniskirts and skin thight uniforms? If you answered FAN SERVICE you would be right, so we can see that science fiction and fan service have been present in TV shows since decades before Freezing.

This is not a binary matter. A show does not either have fanservice or not have fanservice. It's a question of degrees. Hence the reason I said "built from the ground up to titillate". Lots of shows have some fanservice but freezing has a ridiculous amount to the point where that is clearly a major aspect of the show.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Uh huh. Obviously this is exactly what I proceeded to do in the rest of my post following this sentence. Please stop cutting out every individual sentence of my post and then pretending they stand alone.

I have re-added to the original post the THREE sentences I cut from the original post (for clarity) and guess what, it changes nothing, you are saying that since this show is not dark and a (physcological?) examination of violence (the kind of show you like) and my answer applies just the same.

Quote:
That's not what I said at all. Whether it is the kind of show I like is irrelevant. My point is that invoking "realism" to justify the cruelty is totally contradictory when the rest of the show isn't realistic at all.

It IS quite relevant if it is or not the kind of show you like since I insist the ONLY reason you are bashing this show is because you dislike any show that might show beatiful and empowered women doing what we are used to see males in shows like i.e. fist of the north star. Besides, I am not saying it is realistic becuase it is cruel, I have said in a prior post that under the circumstances narrated on Freezing, it is realistical to see such cruel behavior. Learn some logic.

Quote:
That's not what "appropriate" means. To say something is not appropriate simply means it is not suitable or fitting for a particular situation. I'm not making any kind of moral judgment here. Rather, I'm saying is that this kind supposedly "realistic" sadism is unsuitable for an otherwise unrealistic and silly show like Freezing. It a show more suited to such elements it would perhaps be fine.

It is your unsuported opinion that the human situations presented in Freezing are unrealistic, I am still waiting for you to tell me ONE scene where the characterization/acting was totally out of place, I mean, if it is so unrealistic and silly there should be plenty for you to tell me.

Quote:
This is not a binary question. A show does not either have fanservice or not have fanservice. It's a question of degrees. Hence the reason I said "built from the ground up to titillate". Lots of shows have some fanservice but freezing has a ridiculous amount to the point where that is clearly a major aspect of the show.

The original Star Trek had an extreme amount of female fan service for the year (before 1970) and the audience (U.S. citizens) that it was bulit for. Freezing was done in the 21st century for japanese anime otaku, has indeed fanservice, but I would not go as far as saying it is anything we haven't seen before or that it lacks enough plot to sustain itself if the producers had somehow removed the fanservice.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I have re-added to the original post the THREE sentences I cut from the original post (for clarity) and guess what, it changes nothing, you are saying that since this show is not dark and a (physcological?) examination of violence (the kind of show you like) and my answer applies just the same.

Except once again, I never said anything about "the kind of shows I like". Please either quote me saying this or drop it.

Quote:
I insist the ONLY reason you are bashing this show is because you dislike any show that might show beatiful and empowered women doing what we are used to see males in shows

This is absolutely nothing but an empty ad hominem attempt to ignore my actual argument and instead discredit me by accusing me of some kind of bias. And you presume to tell me about logic? Laughing

Quote:
Besides, I am not saying it is realistic because it is cruel, I have said in a prior post that under the circumstances narrated on Freezing, it is realistical to see such cruel behavior.

I understand that. I never said otherwise. However, the fact that "it is realistic to see such cruel behavior" does little to justify its inclusion when the rest of the show is totally unrealistic. That's what I'm saying.

Quote:
I mean, if it is so unrealistic and silly there should be plenty for you to tell me.

http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0/6224/339615-freezing_super.jpg
Honestly, I really don't know how you can look at a show like Freezing and not see anything ridiculous about it or not see how clearly designed it is to provide titillation. The whole premise is a joke. It's a show about a bunch of warriors who it just so happens must all be super attractive young girls. They all wear silly, wildly impractical, stripperrific costumes. Oh and the kicker? They can all regenerate major injuries (which of course they frequently sustain). It's just a blatant excuse for a bunch of excessive clothing damage.

Quote:
Freezing was done in the 21st century for japanese anime otaku, has indeed fanservice, but I would not go as far as saying it is anything we haven't seen before

No, it's really not anything new. But other comparable shows (or at least those that I'm familiar with) don't wallow in cruelty as it does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7