• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
At what point or how many episodes do you drop a series?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anigu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
I always keep a policy of watching 3 episodes to decide keep or drop that series. Work well for me. Although there are cases in which the show got so boring midway that I had wanted to drop it right away. But then I still finished it in the end.
manicli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
I try my best not to ever drop a series because it might get better half way through like fate/stay night. BUT i will admit I was pretty close to dropping shattered angels multiple times.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
Some people need to cut the arguments. Telling people they're wrong for watching something longer or giving up on it earlier is foolish, because when the right time to give up on something is is something that is entirely up to that person. Unless you're in their head just accept that people are, *gasp*, different from you. Most of the thread is fine, but some people are taking their arguments over their differences too far and it is time to dial it back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Two cases for me:
1. If the show is insanely ongoing (Case Closed, Bleach, Naruto, shin-chan, etc) and its overall mood largely remains unchanged. The length to determine that can generally take several dozens to large dips in pacing (Case Closed was primarily tolerated for 82 eps because of the dub and I was done with Naruto after Sasuke spoiler[flew the coop]).

2. If the show, after a good third or even taking up the majority of the show, simply has nothing else to offer than lukewarm style/melodrama/progress (or none at all!). I couldn't bare to continue Kiddy Grade (despite me then being a huge fan of Gonzo) after 8 episodes because nothing substantial was shown in a barebones neo-noir sci-fi manner - usually what I expect from Gonzo on some of their lesser/average efforts.
Hellsing TV - despite being quite short - couldn't be finished even after watching 10 eps because it was so boring! (spoiler[nothing really changed!])
The same scenario applies to Dragonaut, Shonen Onmyouji, Blassreiter, Ah! My Goddess, and Rurouni Kenshin's post Shishio arcs.

But that was a standard long replaced with the times; now, seasons are so short, that not finishing them isn't very hard (genre discrepancies aside), so I try to finish anything now that I start... which I select oh-so carefully these days.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
@Otaking09 If you haven't already, you might want to give Hellsing Ultimate a try because it's pretty much a more action-packed version of the TV show (with changes), and then continues past it.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
@Rhyono

I'm waiting until it's done - like Gundam Unicorn, then I will delve into it. Thanks for reassurance; I couldn't stand another consequenceless fight!
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Just letting you know that you baled on Kiddy Grade right before that show starts to be turned on its head. Razz
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just letting you know that you baled on Kiddy Grade right before that show starts to be turned on its head.

Yes, I've heard that from Key and others too. But even with that in tow, if it couldn't establish something that wouldn't be carried along through subsequent arcs, then I guess it wasn't gonna be that great.
Personally, the cast was boringly over-the-top in every way, the tone felt intrusive, the fan-service was a mixture of "glossy+watered down" so it doesn't feel like it'll be missed.
I don't mean to sound overly dismissive but there never seemed enough inclination to continue.

I say that because I practically gave up on Gurren Lagann in spoiler[almost the same fashion]; spoiler[when Kamina actually died], but that had elements that could be built upon.
Kiddy Grade's elements of Big Corp's running everything, special agent excelling in unique talents, obtuse character quirks over solid characterization, plus mellow simple tone, just doesn't seem like it'd be much to turn over.

However... because I do believe in miracles and unexpected happenings.
If you - or anyone else - would like to spoil something over the next 2-3 eps (it can be a vague summary to explicit deets), you may. Because, I don't like to abandon shows, and I did give that show more of a chance than others for my residual Gonzo fandom.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Well then, allow me:
EDIT: Disclaimer; it's been a few years since I've seen Kiddy Grade, so apologies if I'm off on certain things Razz
Even in the episodes you watched, it was pretty clear that things dealing with Eclair were rather strange: Like that cyborg guy recognizing her whom she doesn't remember, her handling of the infant coming naturally, and comments made by Eclipse and Lumiere alluding to something that had happened to Eclair in years (spoiler[or decades]) passed which Eclair seems to be oblivious about. This leads into the fact that the elite ES members spoiler[have not only existed for hundreds of years, but have also been rebuilt multiple times in instances in which they were destroyed. They don't age and they're not allowed to die.] Basically, we find out that Eclair spoiler[had been at the helm of several atrocious actions that her superiors had ordered involving but not limited to the destruction of an inhabited planet in years long passed.] Eclair actually became spoiler[rebellious and began acting out against her superiors for these deeds, and when she was destroyed the last time, she was brought back with a completely wiped memory.] So, in the following episodes, Eclair spoiler[begins to have brief flashes of these erased memories, and the process begins to repeat itself.] After a certain episode, Eclair and Lumiere spoiler[ become renegades and take up arms against the GOTT and their owners.]
It actually gets kind of intense, and confusing at points, but it tends to make sense out of itself for the most part. But, Kiddy Grade isn't by any means a seminal anime title; you're not missing out on something spectacular if you chose not to revisit it. It's really just a fun show which happened to become surprisingly thrilling and somewhat clever in many ways.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
@Rancorous

Thanks for the help. I didn't have to use all the spoilers! Seems like it'll be fun.
Guess that's all it took; a little more information. Cool
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I would agree that Kiddy Grade is worth continuing. The second half was epic.

You can however, skip the awful spinoff, Kiddy Girl-And.
magmalord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I usually give a series only one episode, unless people say it gets better later in the series.
Infinite Freedom Machine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Well I've only dropped one anime, Mawaru Penguindrum, so I don't have a set criteria. I guess when I become so disinterested I start thinking about other things while watching it I'll drop it.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well I've only dropped one anime, Mawaru Penguindrum, so I don't have a set criteria. I guess when I become so disinterested I start thinking about other things while watching it I'll drop it.

Definitely don't blame you there. Personally, Penguins are a breath of fresh air from high-school settings and the like, but we are talking about Ikuhara; some of his stuff just don't jive.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I usually give it three episodes, until I saw Joshiraku, it was so painfully boring, I barely made it through 1 episode.

And then I dropped Panty and Stocking at 6, because I really wanted to like it.

So, 3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5