• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
That was my understanding as well. If he gave him the rank now, there's no way Naruto would be able to sit still for 2 years of studying without that carrot dangling in front of him.

Yeah, Sasuke got off the hook a little too easily. I think if he'd had something a bit more concrete to atone with than "I'm off to find myself, seeya," it would have gone down better. Go find yourself while you're doing community service or something. At least make him put up with Sakura chaperoning him. The way it was handled he might as well have just graduated from college and got a NinjaRail Pass.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That was my understanding as well. If he gave him the rank now, there's no way Naruto would be able to sit still for 2 years of studying without that carrot dangling in front of him.

Yeah, Sasuke got off the hook a little too easily. I think if he'd had something a bit more concrete to atone with than "I'm off to find myself, seeya," it would have gone down better. Go find yourself while you're doing community service or something. At least make him put up with Sakura chaperoning him. The way it was handled he might as well have just graduated from college and got a NinjaRail Pass.

I agree, Sasuke definitely got off too damn easy; I've always felt that way. Which was why Naruto and Sakura in early Shippuden irked me to no ends. Their thinking was too juvenile for Ninjas their age. They thought pretty words was all it was going to take to bring him home, even though he wasn't kidnapped and left on his own accord. But for just a second I'll ignore the fact that he told them NUMEROUS times to leave him alone. Sasuke was a missing nin. By shinobi law he was supposed to be killed. Even more so after he attacked the Five Kage Summit. Their classmates came to the conclusion that Sasuke had to be dealt with. Sakura eventually came to this realization as well. But Naruto played captain save a h*e to the very end. But that's just the way he is, it can't be helped. But more than anything, I'm eager to find out how Sakura finally managed to wear Sasuke down lol.

Last edited by SailorNaruto on Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I fell for it again, and I really can't hide my frustration. I was under the impression that this episode was going to show EVERYTHING. The Konoha 11 as adults, Hokage Naruto, NaruHina married, the industrialized Konoha, and the next generation kids. But no, It basically cut off right as Naruto was seeing off Sasuke. And if that's not a slap in the face, we're getting filler of Naruto's childhood that we've probably already see 100,000 times. I was ok with the announcement of more filler, I just thought that things they were going to completely wrap up the main story line first. BOY was I wrong. But I can't be 100% angry. I love this anime and I'm happy to see that it's not ending just yet.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
SailorNaruto wrote:
But for just a second I'll ignore the fact that he told them NUMEROUS times to leave him alone. Sasuke was a missing nin. By shinobi he was supposed to be killed.

I might be misremembering things but I don't remember it ever being stated that missing-nin were given TOS designations. In fact it was Danzo himself who put out kill orders on Sasuke.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Is this really lapsing into filler again so quickly?

I think I'm done with it if so.

It hit some of the highest emotional highs of any series I've ever watched - Jiraiya's passing and the Pain arc(s) in particular evoked a pretty damned raw level of feeling from me - but I think it lost its way so often that I regularly forgot what the show was trying to be about. The finale seemed an acceptable attempt to recoup some of that, but nevertheless hurried so that it could all go away and make room for the filler.

I guess I earnestly look forward to watching a reboot of this series without its filler in a decade or two. The current one leaves me deeply ambivalent - split very evenly between hating and loving it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Is this really lapsing into filler again so quickly?

I think I'm done with it if so.

It hit some of the highest emotional highs of any series I've ever watched - Jiraiya's passing and the Pain arc(s) in particular evoked a pretty damned raw level of feeling from me - but I think it lost its way so often that I regularly forgot what the show was trying to be about. The finale seemed an acceptable attempt to recoup some of that, but nevertheless hurried so that it could all go away and make room for the filler.

I guess I earnestly look forward to watching a reboot of this series without its filler in a decade or two. The current one leaves me deeply ambivalent - split very evenly between hating and loving it.

Well they have to do something between now and when they air the adaptations of the novels in the winter, whether that's December or January, I'm not sure. Please be December.

The worst part of Naruto's critical mass of filler is the unnecessary filler since the end of the manga. At least when the manga was still going, we had a reasonable why for all the filler. But this unnecessary and on occasion painfully awful filler is what is making me less sad it's ending soon and more wanting to get this over with. Unfortunately, they will not let the end come swiftly. I've stuck it out this long so I may as well crawl to the finish line, but I don't begrudge those who are done with this. I don't hate the series and some of these last episodes were great, but this stretch has really killed my enthusiasm for the show and my impression of the show runners.
Dextres

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
SailorNaruto wrote:

I agree, Sasuke definitely got off too damn easy; I've always felt that way. Which was why Naruto and Sakura in early Shippuden irked me to no ends. Their thinking was too juvenile for Ninjas their age. They thought pretty words was all it was going to take to bring him home, even though he wasn't kidnapped and left on his own accord. But for just a second I'll ignore the fact that he told them NUMEROUS times to leave him alone. Sasuke was a missing nin. By shinobi law he was supposed to be killed. Even more so after he attacked the Five Kage Summit. Their classmates came to the conclusion that Sasuke had to be dealt with. Sakura eventually came to this realization as well. But Naruto played captain save a h*e to the very end. But that's just the way he is, it can't be helped. But more than anything, I'm eager to find out how Sakura finally managed to wear Sasuke down lol.

Watch a better quality series if you're looking for consequences to be dealt with better.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Dextres wrote:
SailorNaruto wrote:

Watch a better quality series if you're looking for consequences to be dealt with better.

Uhh.... I don't know what quality has to do with facing punishments but OK

BadNewsBlues wrote:
SailorNaruto wrote:
But for just a second I'll ignore the fact that he told them NUMEROUS times to leave him alone. Sasuke was a missing nin. By shinobi he was supposed to be killed.

I might be misremembering things but I don't remember it ever being stated that missing-nin were given TOS designations. In fact it was Danzo himself who put out kill orders on Sasuke.

Normally in a series that revolves around ninja or shinobi, if you leave the village on your own accords, your deemed a rogue or missing nin and your automatically scheduled to be killed. I mean the Hidden Mist has an entire division for executing rogue ninjas. But it's not just Naruto; the Dead or Alive series comes to mind.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Man, I completely forgot about naruto for some reason, I assumed they were still doing fillers, and now the series is pretty much over? Oh well, time to catch up I guess.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
SailorNaruto wrote:

Normally in a series that revolves around ninja or shinobi, if you leave the village on your own accords, your deemed a rogue or missing nin and your automatically scheduled to be killed. I mean the Hidden Mist has an entire division for executing rogue ninjas.

Hidden Mist is one of the exceptions not the rule though. In fact their reason for even having that system in the first place there was born during the time when the Village had the name Village Of The Bloody Mist.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
From Naruto "swimming" through the wheat grass to Hinata running in the snow was just beautiful. If the rest of the episodes are gonna be like today's, when I'm looking forward to them. Anime smile
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
The change in visual or direction is because the show has a new series director now.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed that. I was expecting more rehash of their 8-10 year old selves going through training, which we've seen a thousand times now, but we've seen much less of them at this age. And it was done with more artistry and poignancy than I would've expected from this series. If the rest follow suit, I'm on board.

I too was surprised that Naruto didn't recognize the Third, although I supposed it would depend on when they turned him loose to survive on his own. If the last time he saw him was when he was three, he could've forgotten after a year. And while he appears to get some sort of allowance, it's not enough to keep him fed!? What kind of monsters run this village anyhow (oh right, the kind that commission genocide on one of their own clans by a member of that clan, nvm). Leaving a 4 yr old on his own is par for the course, I guess. At least they didn't leave him in a basket by the river though they might as well have done.
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I liked this a lot. All the other filler in this series was unnecessary. This, however, is owed us because the manga skipped everything between the last two chapters. And I thought the style of it was charming.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
The new visual style is very nice, though it was a bit iffy in the scenes where Neji was sparring with his father and then Hinata. It is definitely one of the better filler episodes in Shippuden (low bar though that may be). I'm more interested in the next episode, specifically the Sakura half, as that part of her life (aside from the fawning over Sasuke) has not really been covered, so it won't just be a retread like this episode and the Sasuke portion of next week's episode no doubt. The other ones after that look to be less retreads as well (well, half of each of them at least).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 44