• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
Regarding Asuna's "right to go her own way", I would think it's important to keep in mind that it is perhaps the important guild in the game and Asuna does still care about clearing the game. Cutting off all ties with them is definitely against her interests. Not to mention the fact that Asuna seems to have fond memories of back when it was a small guild, which means she's probably still close to the older members, including the guildmaster. These are her friends that she's spent the last two years fighting alongside. She may be dissatisfied with the current direction it's going, particularly the newer members, and she may want to spend more time with her love interest, but that hardly justifies quitting the guild without discussion. Which would basically be a big "F- you". spoiler[She politely requested leave because she still cares what they think. And why wouldn't she?]

spoiler[It's unknown how she feels about the duel itself because Kirito interrupted her.]
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:42 am Reply with quote
I'm amused that dual-wielding is some kind of a super skill in an MMO, especially one dedicated to melee fighting in the first place. Whatever elevates our hero above other players, I guess.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
Asuna really mastered cooking.
An unexpected reunion with Klein was nice.
This boss room was a special sort... especially hard.
All of Kirito's fears came to life again in this fight.
This fight was a close one, even for him.
I didn't really expect him to accept the fight for Asuna.
Guess there are some real feelings between those two.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Well, the opening scene from this episode can be labeled as most heroic scene ever Wink. The second record this show achieves is longest anime spoiler[hug] (at least as far as I know).

I liked this ep. Nice character interactions, awesome action, yup my heart is pleased. I hope Klein and Asuna will get more chance to show their skills and better themselves. It's obvious that they're considered good fighters, but Kirito's spoiler[special skill] made them look minor, even if Kirito's spoiler[ energy was almost drained to zero].
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
rosebowl89 wrote:
The genki girl? Are you talking about the girl from A Murder Case in the Area? Because if so, she has 0 interest in Kirito and is dating the other guy from those episodes...

Just when I think of a harem anime I don't think of a show where literally only one girl is actively pursuing the main character. You're basically just complaining about the natural fact that people fall for attractive people who are talented and nice. Sorry, but that doesn't make it unrealistic nor does it rule it out of the "that could really happen camp"

There are plenty of problems with the anime to be upset about, the extreme condensing of the story, presenting these side stories in a fashion and order not intended by the author, and basically just skipping 2 years of them living in the game that you don't need to find silly things to complain about like a person of great achievement being popular.

Yes, you got me. I am green with envy of Kirito's natural magnetism and illustrious talents. Being a person of such distinction it is hardly surprising that all the ladies are jockeying for a piece of that sweet trenchcoat covered ass...

Putting my raging jealously aside for one moment, I would like to elaborate.

It's obvious from the response that my definition of Harem is much looser than most here. I tend to use it quite liberally to descibe shows that concentrates on 1 male protagonist (an optional irrelevant male friend) and his interactions with a largely female cast. It's a troup as old as time and you can smell it a mile away however it is disguised.

Like Yttrbio mentioned, I don't see harem as a genre so much as a storytelling style. While some shows are defined by it, others are merely coloured by it.

I don't have a problem with pure harem shows, it's a staple of the medium and I've enjoyed many of them in the past. What does annoy me is when writers fall back on it in a show that otherwise has no need for it, for whatever reason, laziness, force of habit, pandering, whatever.

I'm in no way condemning the people who enjoy that kind of thing or at least find it a non-issue, it just bums me out to see it in so many shows that would have been just as awesome, perhaps a little bit more believable without it.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
Oh my God I just noticed that this series suffers from what I call Gundam ZZ syndrome.Listen up Reki Kawahara.spoiler[If you want to make point how war or in this particular case this social expriment is cruel by killing a bunch of people try that by not killing completely unimportant,underdeveloped characters.It is just stupid.Why?Cause I dont give two damns about them thus I felt absolutely nothing as I watched these fellows die.Look at Gundam Z or Gundam 0080 they create characters for who we care for,who have dreams ,visions,problems ,who face doubts about themselves and then when they die we feel something.We actually partially understand the cruelty.]
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
I'm confused. Why didn't spoiler[Kerrytoe (Kirito) and Asuna attempt to teleport when they first ran from the boss room? I don't buy the excuse of panic because we're speaking about two of the strongest players within the game. They're some of the most experienced as well. Not to mention in the few MMORPGs I've played, it's smarter to attempt a teleport than to run away.]

Overall, I found the episode to be between alright and good. The only part I really found myself enjoying was the fight which did take up most of the episode. spoiler[ Libeth didn't appear in the first volume of the LN so I'm bewildered why the anime staff decided to add her in for this episode. She really has no relevance besides smithing Kerrytoe's sword.] Maybe I'm nitpicking too much.

Key wrote:
This proved the worth of having viewers go through most of those side stories first, as it would also be hard to justify how serious Asuna seems to feel about Kirito without showing them having interactions in episodes 5-7.

I have mixed feelings; I think the show would had worked fine with just the sides stories from episode 2 (1st Floor boss), 3 (Sachi), and 7 (Lizbeth). Episode 2 was rather rushed though and I believe if they gave it another episode, it would had been better - many things were cut so it was rushed. Silicia's episode felt rather unnecessary. I also find it difficult to accept Asuna's sentiments towards Kirito. I don't see the justification for it. They come across as good friends on the front line of battle to me.

I'm growing more indifferent (I may still have some biases about it) to SAO each week. I have neither enough like or dislike for it. I also don't have enough reasons to either continue or drop the show.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'm going to reask the question now that we've seen the fight... what about the boss monster was instantly scary, just from looking at it? It's a big monster. How was it different from every other boss monster they've seen?
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I'm confused. Why didn't spoiler[Kerrytoe (Kirito) and Asuna attempt to teleport when they first ran from the boss room? I don't buy the excuse of panic because we're speaking about two of the strongest players within the game. They're some of the most experienced as well. Not to mention in the few MMORPGs I've played, it's smarter to attempt a teleport than to run away.]

Because spoiler[crystals are expensive and they didn't want to leave the dungeon anyway (if they teleported away they'd have to climb back up from the nearest town). Crystals are for emergencies when your life is in danger. The door was still open and the boss hadn't even hit them yet, so why would they waste a crystal instead of just running away by foot?]

Yttrbio wrote:
I'm going to reask the question now that we've seen the fight... what about the boss monster was instantly scary, just from looking at it? It's a big monster. How was it different from every other boss monster they've seen?

Supposedly it's the first "demon" enemy type in the game, but honestly I think they'd have reacted the same to any boss. They knew they needed to see it to create a plan, but it's still scary when you know it can kill you. The point is simply that boss fights have never become routine events where the players aren't afraid of death.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, in the LN Kirito describes it as the scariest thing he'd seen in the game, a demon-looking boss mob.

But yeah, this one fails to be scary. But I think it's realistic enough to run like a scared rabbit when you see a boss with 4 HP bars and a massive sword that can pretty much pwn you in an instant. The only reason Kirito even jumped in was because of Asuna.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
A qualm I had with this episode (that I forgot to express in my previous post) was Klein and Kirito's little hit fest there. In any existing game, they both would've ended up "orange" players for a little while.

Key wrote:
yet to justify how attached to Kirito she is here - unless, of course, they've stayed in contact more off-screen than what we know about so far.

I think we have to take it for granted that they have spent far more time together than we have seen. Due to the large span of time this anime attempts to cover in such a small number of episodes: there's probably a lot of interaction with a small group of characters that is far more frequent than shown. A good example would be the shop owner guy Kirito has been seen with many times; from the way he acts it suggests Kirito is there frequently and that they are friends.

Key wrote:
As strong in both skill and character as she seems normally (and would have to be to be a vice-commander), she seems to almost go into a Timid Mode at times around Kirito, and that concerns me a bit since it implies some rather sexist interpretations.

spoiler[The time when she hid behind him when her "bodyguard" was coming for her: I couldn't tell if it was a failed attempt at not being noticed or if she was relying on her big, strong man. However, the "bodyguard" did man-handle her a bit.]

As for in general being more timid around him: she's well aware that he's a superior player. If she tried to act like the vice-commander of a big fancy guild all of the time: he wouldn't put up with it and wouldn't spend time with her. The way she acts could just be the result of her feelings for him. Keep in mind that during that boss fight spoiler[she didn't hide behind him and cry; she went in first.]
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
that was pretty damn cool. i hope we get to see more of that
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
On the whole, I thought the episode was a lot of fun. However, I do think having Kirito spoiler[suddenly have this special unique skill (which is a pretty cool skill)] did pretty strongly reinforce his Gary Stu status. Having himspoiler[ defeat a whole new boss by himself was exciting to watch but it was also pretty unrealistic for an MMO. I have been an avid MMO player for quite some time and even the most powerful player could never beat a whole new boss by him/herself.] As I was watching the fight, I was simultaneously thinking it was cool but also thinking it was really making Kirito kind of god mode. This is especially the case because spoiler[the particular unique skill that he gets (all to himself apparently) is one of the most commonly obsessed over types of skills in any video game. EVERYONE wants to be the guy with the dual swords or dual guns or whatever it is.] Like others have said, the other characters in Kirito's group are not really utilized to much effect. They are just there to buy time for him to blow $#%@ up. It does cheapen their characters a bit. As an example of a somewhat god-mode protagonist who still has useful allies, you could look at Dragon Ball/DBZ etc... Goku (usually) defeats the main baddie, but sometimes it's not him. Sometimes it's one of his allies (or even his son). I always thought that the supporting cast in Dragon Ball/DBZ were pretty fantastic and sometimes even more entertaining than the main protagonist. I do think Kirito's allies need to become a bit more useful than just being good at comic relief and making sammiches.

As for the last scene with spoiler[another big bad man challenging Kirito to a duel for the right to have Asuna as some prize, I didn't like that at all. Although I like the idea of having Asuna and Kirito as a couple, the writing continues to de-legitimize her and undermine her as an individual. ] I don't understand WHY they thought that was a good idea after it was already done earlier.

Overall this probably was the best episode, but I just don't understand why they have to create episodes which are almost great and then they throw some kind of wrench into it just to keep it from maintaining that greatness.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
well, Klein Asuma, and those idiots did deal some damage to the boss so it's not like he was the only one to fight and deal damage right from the start. He also almost died as well. im sure if he really was in some sort of god mode, he would have not taken any damage at all.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Defeating a boss that would pretty much take a well planned raid of 20 or so skilled players (my guess, considering the numbers given this episode) may not be a god mode, but it is god-like by the game's standards.]

If you compare him to demigods in other fiction, you'll see just how well the definition fits Kirino.

My guess is that the creator somehow favours him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 274