• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Midaro wrote:
He saw Kamui needed help and took some action.

If you didn't mean Kagura...ouch. Wink
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
I am very glad with the way the anime has handled this Rakuyo arc, because the manga version of this fight in particular was incredibly long for some reason. Either Sorachi was stalling because the following arcs weren't quite wrapped up in his mind or the WSJ wanted the story to have a little one or two more volumes, who knows. I didn't really enjoy the Kamui vs Gintoki because it dragged way too long, the anime here just made it all the better for me. That being said, reading it weekly may have killed the momentum, perhaps rereading it would be in order.

I think that was the general consensus on this manga arc. It was good to see background and some closure with kamui and his arc, but it did drag out. I think it was because of all the talking. There seemed to be an excessive amount between (and during) fights.
Midaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Midaro wrote:
He saw Kamui needed help and took some action.

If you didn't mean Kagura...ouch. Wink

I didn't, hahaha. He just waited to the very end to send Omibouzu away and that happened when he saw Kamui's face, the way it changed like Kagura's had once in the past. The situation got so dangerous that even Abuto tried to stop Kamui. Only then, the glasses found its place. And so it happened that Kamui saw through those glasses that his sister was and would always be there for him Anime hyper
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I sort of wish that Umibozu had died, it would of given more weight to what had happened. Then again a lot of people have been dying recently.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I sort of wish that Umibozu had died, it would of given more weight to what had happened. Then again a lot of people have been dying recently.

I thought the same thing when I read the manga. I think he wasn't killed off because that would open up a whole other can of worms for Kagura. While it might be okay to do to side characters - they can cope on the sidelines - Kagura is a main character who wouldn't realistically bounce back from that so easily and her dealing with the grief might throw off the flow of Gintama.

Or it could just be "related to the main character and not a backstory" protection. Who knows.
Midaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I loved the intensity this season and the final revelations in the last episode, the way Gintoki reacted to the story and the way the others tried to ease his mind for the part that he had to play. Well done, Sorachi-sensei!
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
I had lost hope that Kagura's boyfriend arc would be adapted. Now, not only do we get more Gintama, but I get to see one of my favorite silly arc animated! If I could just get some kagura and okita scenes coming, I'd be in heaven.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Gintama.s long tradition ... Gintama.s temporary return...

Since the name of the current season is Gintama. (or better yet, Gintama: Slip Arc), shouldn't the possessive be Gintama.'s, as in "Gintama.'s long tradition"? I only mention it since it will be an issue in future reviews, and it bugs me to see a period used as an apostrophe. Smile Come to think of it, since it refers to the whole franchise in both instances here, it really ought to just be Gintama's. >.>

Although this was clearly a riff on Attack on Titan, I kept having the sneaking suspicion it was also taking a backhanded swipe at Americans, what with the imperious attitude, confusion over traditions and sunglasses. Smile Probably just my imagination.

The artwork still looks off to me this season. :/

While I'm on the subject of titles, it would sure be nice if they could clean up the Encyclopedia entries to make them uniform. This:

Gintama (TV)
Gintama' (TV 2/2011) (sequel)
Gintama' (TV 3/2012) (sequel)
Gintama (TV 4/2015) (sequel) [this should be Gintama°]
Gintama. (TV 5/2017) (sequel)
Gintama Season 4 (TV 6/2017) (sequel)

is kinda confusing, especially on the alphabetical list since it puts them out of order.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The artwork still looks off to me this season. :/

A friend of mine shares this opinion. Oddly, despite having a fairly discerning eye for such things, I found the visuals to be *mostly* in line with the other BNP seasons. Episode 329 featured a few instances of Kagura looking slightly moe-fied, but aside from that, nothing really struck me as off-model or visually unappealing. This season is being helmed by the same studio and general director as the previous two, but it's entirely possible that light alterations were made to the character designs and I'm simply not noticing it.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Although this was clearly a riff on Attack on Titan, I kept having the sneaking suspicion it was also taking a backhanded swipe at Americans, what with the imperious attitude, confusion over traditions and sunglasses. Smile Probably just my imagination.

Possibly. I was always under the impression that the Amanto were stand-ins for Westerners. The series is cagey with exact dates, but I think the Tendoshu initially arrived around 1853-54, which would roughly coincide with the arrival of Commodore Perry.

Anyway, I'm thrilled to see the remaining comedic arcs receive the anime treatment. Someone may correct me on this, but I believe the opening teased images from every as-yet-unanimated story, so this season should be a fun ride.
amcnulty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Gintama.s long tradition ... Gintama.s temporary return...

Since the name of the current season is Gintama. (or better yet, Gintama: Slip Arc), shouldn't the possessive be Gintama.'s, as in "Gintama.'s long tradition"? I only mention it since it will be an issue in future reviews, and it bugs me to see a period used as an apostrophe. Smile Come to think of it, since it refers to the whole franchise in both instances here, it really ought to just be Gintama's. >.>

I can't avoid it! I don't actually type it in that way, but it's an ANN system feature in order to catalog our reviews/link to references. Once the show's title is mentioned once in my review, it automatically does that to the rest of the mentions.

Blame it on Gintama's crazy season naming conventions. Anime hyper It's not an issue with titles that don't end in punctuation so much.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
Usually they're nothing too special, but every so often there's a gem in those end cards "The next episode features so many twists and turns, you'll stop worrying about who would ever hire Madao."
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
tbrown3514 wrote:
I'm so glad GINTAMA is back!

its not that surprising. with one piece about to end its manga run soon, and other shonen type series still need to prove themselves, its more or less a given that gintama would return since its still highly popular in japan. the US unfortunately is another story completely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if I'm the only one who didn't see the big twist coming? In hindsight, the fact that Musashi was playing such an active role in the story was a fairly strong hint. I mean, this is the first time he's had more than a couple lines of dialogue.

Did Daigo meet Ikumatsu while in pursuit of Matsugoro, or did he wind up marrying the daughter of his savior by sheer coincidence? I suppose my one gripe would be that this was never addressed.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Seeing Sasaki again made me feel similarly happy and sad, but the fact that the story was so incredibly hilarious helped to ease the pain (poor Momotarou... Laughing).
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I was also confused as to why the virtual crime scene story wasn't adapted as part of Gintama°. Setting aside Sasaki's imminent demise, I thought it was a lot funnier than some of the single-chapter stories that were included in that season - i.e. the copywriting story and the Kabuki-cho neighborhood meeting. Plus, it marked one of Sasaki's rare appearances outside of a serious or semi-serious arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 35