• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Discontinues 4 DVD, Blu-ray Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Mawdryn wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Not too surprising. None of these titles were particularly successful...

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles was declared a success by its license holder, Harmony Gold.

I wouldn't be surprised if A&E picks up the license as they did with the original Robotech series last year.

It's Harmony Gold. They'll declare anything a success.

Actually, they don't. They admitted that their earlier attempt to revive Robotech as a CGI-series was a costly blunder and that the earlier still Robotech: The Movie didn't work the way they planned.
Quote:

I mean, they're a freaking real estate company nowadays.

Quite a few companies have their toes in real estate. But Harmony Gold is still in the entertainment business, but more as a licensing company.
Quote:

They promised a trilogy of movies, only to ever actually produce one.

The problem with any new post-series movies is that they unfortunately became tied-up with Warner Bros and Tobey McQuire's production company in their attempt to produce a live-action Robotech movie. Harmony Gold still has plans for them, but is stuck in a waiting game with WB. Not wanting to wait forever, Harmony Gold then decided to proceed with a separate movie/OVA that is set during the timeframe of the original Robotech series featuring some characters that didn't appear in The Shadow Chronicles.
Quote:

Which utterly sucked by the way.

I disagree, I liked it.
Quote:

I own it too.

So do I.
Quote:

They were simply riding nostalgia.

So do most franchises that have been around for a long time. But rather than try to redo what they did before, Harmony Gold opted to continue the Robotech story forward with The Shadow Chronicles.
Quote:

But A&E? Are we talking about the A&E TV Channel "A&E" out of curiosity? I was unaware of that if that's who owns the license nowadays. No wonder it hasn't been airing on SPACE anymore.

Yep, it's that A&E. They acquired the license to all 85 episodes of the original Robotech series last year and released it as a remastered collection featuring ten hours of new bonus material, including I believe a trailer for the upcoming Robotech "sidequel."
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
godDAMN, why drop DBZkai so fast?

Greed1914 wrote:
Probably because it wasn't selling. I'm guessing if several sets were out, and the show was on TV, and they still weren't seeing solid numbers then it would be pretty indicative of a lack of interest.

I'm quoting both of you to show how embarrassingly off these posts are. Funimation will be moving to larger non-13 episode sets for Dragon Ball Kai re-releases, but most likely, the reason for the discontinuation of these sets is the Kenji Yamamoto music scandal. The music scandal that has seen Toei, and its partners attempt to erase every single instance of that music's existence from the face of the planet. Guess which score is on Funimation's sets 1-4? Guess which score isn't on 5+? Sales have nothing to do with this. Dragon Ball Kai could be (and may likely be) one of Funimation's best sellers and this outcome still would've happened.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Dang, dropping "DBZ Kai" that fast? Pretty surprising, honestly.

FUNimation is going with the Season sets to cover Part 1 to 4. Think of it similar to how the One Piece voyage sets are handled (as the bigger collections come along). DBZ Kai S1 set (DVD, Blu-ray) are still in-print. From an inquiry earlier today I was told S2 (which will cover Parts 3 & 4) is targeted for a summer 2012 release.

Phew. That's a big relief. I was worried I wouldn't be able to complete my Kai collection on DVD.

I couldn't care less about Blu-ray since I've never seen/bought one, but I hope they don't make a trend of this for some of their less-profitable titles.
JamesFox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
You people BETTER get Nerima Daikon Bros. RIGHT NOW
or else you have shown that you are the problem for lack of quirky anime here in the US
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
wow and they are selling out fast. I live in PA and got the last copy of Nerima Daikon Brothers (SAVE) from amazon that my closest amazon distribution center had.
jlaking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
So Nerima Daikon Bros. and Kodocha are going out of print, you know that means RACS will be increasing the price on the copies they have left.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
DB Kai I'm not surprised about. Parts 1-4 have not been restocking on amazon for quite some time. And Kodocha is a no brainer seeing as they discontinued the series.

Yes, this explains why I was having trouble finding new volumes of Kai on Amazon this morning. Phew, I was getting worried. But in fact, this is the most ideal outcome for me, as someone who wants Kikuchi's scores, not Yamamoto's (all the more so now that I know Yamamoto is a thieving scumbag), and who wasn't committed to buying all seven (?) volumes of the old release. Bring on the season sets!

(But part of me does wish that the English audio track used Faulconer's music!)
masonjar7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
My quesion is are they ever going to release Dragon Ball Z 2.1 on Blu Ray or because of the restoration work being so hard are they going stop restoration and not finish the rest of the series?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4