• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do mispronunciations in dubs bother you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
(And if you think that anime dubs are "hammy," I shudder to think of what your opinion would be of your standard American animated series' voicework. Razz)

Heh heh, after reading abunai's comments on North American dubs, I was curious as to what his opinions on Hollywood acting are, as well.

Aura Ichadora wrote:
(or Naruto; ugh, I really hate it when they say that wrong)

LOL, yeah. It's truly a horrible thing to hear. (Hope you can stomach the catchy, yet terrible, song.) Laughing

On topic, I don't mind mispronounciations in dubs unless the word is pronounced really bad. I'll appreciate the effort.

Last edited by braves on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ninja Maid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
It does bother me when Japanese words are pronounced oddly in English, and when English words are spoken really weirdly in Japanese, too, but I don't really pay it any mind. English has different pronunciation and stress rules than Japanese, and not all of the voice actors and directors involved in the dub are going to know enough Japanese to stop in the middle of a session and say, "Ooops! I said that incorrectly!"

[quote=Elfen12]the Japanese Accent and English Accent aren't supposed to be the same[/quote]
I totally agree - a perfect way to sum up how I feel: Americans say Japanese words with an American English accent, Japanese say English words with a Japanese accent. And I honestly think that makes it feel all the more "authentic," even if it does sound terribly awkward.
sacchan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
When I was in the U.S., I found it funny how Americans can't pronounce Japanese words like "karaoke" and "karate" correctly. But then, when I was speaking English, I'd mispronounce these words on purpose and say kay-ree-oh-kee instead of カラオケ even though I'm native Japanese.

As for anime, I find it painful when in there are English speakers in the Japanese version, they mess up their supposedly "native" language (like Chris in Itazuara-na-kiss). And when their "foreign accent" is nothing like what the actual "foreign accent" sounds like. I mean, I have an American co-worker, and when he speaks Japanese, his accent is nothing like the Japanese voice actors' imitation of a "foreign accent".
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
(or Naruto; ugh, I really hate it when they say that wrong) wrong.

LOL, yeah. It's truly a horrible thing to hear. (Hope you can stomach the catchy, yet terrible, song.) Laughing

On topic, I don't mind mispronounciations in dubs unless the word is pronounced really bad. I'll appreciate the effort.
>.< What the frick did I just listen to? That was like the worst thing I watched/listened to since the One Piece rap!

I'm going to have nightmares and shudders about that at work now. Ew...
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Aura Ichadora wrote:
(or Naruto; ugh, I really hate it when they say that wrong)

What was that!? My ears are bleeding. I think I'm going to go in a corner and cry for a bit. That was awful.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Did you guys go find this garbage or did it find you? That was terrible.
That should actually be the OP for the spin off Nerutu:Sand Ninjas. Wink
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Yes, it bothers me. The phonetics of American English (not to be confused with British English because I like how they sound) have no excuse to mess up the pronunciation of any language. The vowel sounds already exist (considering you only need one sound per vowel). It's just up to the actors and directors to not be lazy and/or ignorant. They can say Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki and Hiten Mitsurugi, but can't even pronounce Kenshin properly? Screw you, ADR person.

I agree and am a bit more forgiving if someone can't pronounce something like ryu or ryo. I find it odd how some people can't say the ?yo sound as one syllable. My roommate always say Kyoto and Tokyo as three syllable words. On the other hand there is absolutely no reason why karaoke should have a "ee" sound for it's second syllable since it is obviously an "a" as the fourth letter. I tend to use the Japanese pronunciations for these words that have been adopted into English with a few companies names like Honda and Atari.

I also tend to get a bit more annoyed for some reason if the mispronounced name is shared by a friend or a family member. I also make an effort in using proper pronunciation for other languages as well. I tend to use the five Japanese vowels when using Spanish and Italian names as well which has gotten me compliments in proper pronunciation before. I will admit though that I often slip into the American versions when it comes to city names (San Francisco) though.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I usually don't have a problem under the following conditions:

1) everyone is pronouncing the word/name the exact same way, even if its slightly incorrect. Consistancy.
2) It sounds fine and/or I can't tell

When I played Blood Will Tell earlier this summer, I swear, it was very annoying and absolutely hilarious here. Its like there was a meeting for the dubbers to go over how to pronounce the character's names, but everyone forgot to attend it, so rather than reschedule another meeting, they just went ahead and did the VOs. There were 4 or 5 voices in one scene and they all pronounced the main character's name (Hyakkimaru) differently within the same 1 minute cutscene. Not only was that impressively bad for one cutscene, they never fixed it. Then they started messing with another character's name (Dororo) after they had pronounced it almost consistently for the first half of the game (the same character pronounced the name 2 or 3 different ways, sometimes within the same cutscene). This goes down as one of the funniest dubs for me ever simply because the VAs weren't on the same page on the name pronunciations. It wasn't a bad dub (it was mediocre), it was just poorly pronounced whenever they spoke any given name, as though they had never seen a Japanese word in their life before.

So, overall, mispronounced names don't actually bother me (some of the older dubs that pronouce the name "Sakura" kinda do though, like in Key the Metal Idol for example, but that's about the only one), its mostly inconsistancy that does.
khimru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
Boomerang Flash wrote:
Suppose we eliminate the double standard by being tolerant of mistakes made by our own countrymen with regard to foreign languages, then this promotes ignorance of those foreign languages.
Not really. I'm not an expert in Japanese, but I know for a fact that many Americans after spending 10 years+ in Russia and being fluent in Russian still can not even distinguish Russian words "угол" (corner) and "уголь" (charcoal), let alone pronounce them right.

Boomerang Flash wrote:
Suppose we eliminate the double standard by being intolerant of foreigners who make mistakes with our languages, then this promotes xenophobia and hostility.
The same is true in reverse: without years of practice Russian-speaking person can not distinguish "cut" and "cart" (or the infamous "bitch" vs "beach") - again no hope to pronounce something right if you can not even hear the difference.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I find it odd how some people can't say the ?yo sound as one syllable. My roommate always say Kyoto and Tokyo as three syllable words.
It's somewhat strange for English-speaking person, but not strange for Russian speaker at all: Russian does not have any diphthongs. At all. English does not include this particular diphthong too, so it should not be too surprising.

Since Japanese includes sounds and/or syllables which are totally unnatural for English actors - why to torment them? IMO the only problematic case is when different actors pronounce the same name differently in Dub, everything else is not a big deal...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
More than often I watch episodes raw, so I normally don't run into those types of things. Unless you want to talk about Japanese voice actors pronouncing English terms with Japanese accents, then that kind of gets to me. More than often, sometimes I get people pronouncing Japanese words okay but with an obviously American accent to the word. Like a name. I can kind of let it go, but hearing it time and time again can get to be monotonous, obviously.
Zath

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
I'm so accustomed to watching subs that dubs do generally turn me off (mainly if I've seen the anime though), i guess through all the sub watching I've done the Japanese language just seems a lot more appealing in some way almost more emotional and real (although it could be because it isn't my native tongue) and helps me to connect with the anime more on a personal level.

Generally if i see the dub first it wont bother me all that much but in some cases i actually prefer the dub such as Beserk. I alternated between the two languages for a few episodes and ended up going with the dub, because i thought they did such an amazing job especially Guts.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
Boomerang Flash wrote:
I think that you should find out how to spell "mispronunciation"; I think you should eliminate superfluous commas; and I think you should check the antecedent for "that.".

I described the behavior I noted as a double standard, which is true in the objective sense. The alternatives, however, are quite unpleasant. Suppose we eliminate the double standard by being tolerant of mistakes made by our own countrymen with regard to foreign languages, then this promotes ignorance of those foreign languages. Suppose we eliminate the double standard by being intolerant of foreigners who make mistakes with our languages, then this promotes xenophobia and hostility. Since learning languages is done in great part through trial and error, this double standard is both beneficial and necessary.

The question is whether the standard should be extended to productions such as anime, which, as the products of corporations, should be held to a better standard than a person learning a language. That is your own business.

I think you got me a little wrong on that one. I am not angry over people who try to speak my language and don't sound like native speakers. As you might have seen, I am not a native English speaker either and I make a lot of commas because in German, you use lots of them. I don't think anyone would have a problem with me making mistakes, as long as I don't boast with how good at English I am.
However, if someone writes a script for a film, I find it necessary to let it be proof-read by one or several native speakers. You don't have to get your language totally right, so if someone talks in a language he doesn't speak very often, naturally there will be mistakes because most of the time fluency goes over accuracy.
I am talking Fate / Stay Night here, which is the best example I can come up with. The "magic words" they use don't even remotely make sense in German. It is not "cute" if someone uses a language in a film/book and does not care to use it the correct way - I think it's very ignorant.
I hope I have made myself a little clearer - and why is it "mispronunciation" when it's "pronounce" anyway? I thought English was simpler Very Happy
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I agree I find it quite hilarious in all of those magical girl shows when they scream silly english words to activate their powers. German is also a popular language to use in anime and I always wondered if it was just as silly when they used german...well now I know. Of all the anime that used other languages and cultures to be symbolic or something like that I think xenosaga made the most sense.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Boomerang Flash wrote:
I think that you should find out how to spell "mispronunciation"; I think you should eliminate superfluous commas; and I think you should check the antecedent for "that.".

I think you got me a little wrong on that one. I am not angry over people who try to speak my language and don't sound like native speakers. As you might have seen, I am not a native English speaker either and I make a lot of commas because in German, you use lots of them. I don't think anyone would have a problem with me making mistakes, as long as I don't boast with how good at English I am.

Boomerang Flash, you are out of order. As is made quite clear in the forum rules: while we do demand that our forum participants make an effort to write correct English, we don't make impossible demands of people whose first language isn't English. It has long been a guideline that people who make it clear that English isn't their native language are exempt from the highest standards.

Since Labbes has made it quite clear that h/she is German, you have no business making picky remarks about his/her grammar (which, btw, is more than sufficient for a non-native), especially since it seems clear that your only purpose in doing so is to have it serve as a put-down.

Behave yourself.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
When I played Blood Will Tell earlier this summer, I swear, it was very annoying and absolutely hilarious here. Its like there was a meeting for the dubbers to go over how to pronounce the character's names, but everyone forgot to attend it, so rather than reschedule another meeting, they just went ahead and did the VOs. There were 4 or 5 voices in one scene and they all pronounced the main character's name (Hyakkimaru) differently within the same 1 minute cutscene. Not only was that impressively bad for one cutscene, they never fixed it. Then they started messing with another character's name (Dororo) after they had pronounced it almost consistently for the first half of the game (the same character pronounced the name 2 or 3 different ways, sometimes within the same cutscene). This goes down as one of the funniest dubs for me ever simply because the VAs weren't on the same page on the name pronunciations. It wasn't a bad dub (it was mediocre), it was just poorly pronounced whenever they spoke any given name, as though they had never seen a Japanese word in their life before.

I love this game to death.I was just happy to get some more Dororo action,plus the Illustrations were done by Hiroaki Samura (Blade of the Immortal) so I overlooked the dub.But since you mentioned it the dub was goofy but I've heard worse.I liked the money troll "You want some ?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7