• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Manga Volumes Pulled from July Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SinsI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Want to know the reason for all this? The Economy, people that just read the manga instead of buying the manga and the people that bend the manga books so badly at stores, the stores have no choice but to get rid of the books.
However in this case, only the economy and people not buying are the main problems.

Economy - yes, but you are really naive if you think people reading in the stores, borrowing books from the libraries or downloading scans affect book sales in the slightest. You buy the book if you find it interesting enough to re-read, to enjoy it in its fullest in a comfortable atmosphere of your toilet, to read it during travels or to lend it to a friend.
If you lose motivation to buy a book after knowing what exactly you are buying - then something is definitely wrong with the book itself; it should either be cheap enough to throw away after reading it once or good enough to be worth the price even after you've already read it.

I think at least half of the titles listed aren't gone for good but are just delayed, as the company fired half the production staff and has to slow down because of that.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I was toying with checking out the Trinity Blood novels, since I was interested in the general backstory of the universe despite the series' horrific pacing and structure. If there's no commitment by TokyoPop to complete the series, though...forget it. Asking someone to read scanlations online is one thing, but the only proper way to read a book is in its physical form. Razz I don't have any interest at all in the rest of their lineup, but I do feel for those of you who are getting the shaft in this whole deal.
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh... I wish at least Lagoon Engine would've been spared, but I can't say that it wasn't expected Anime cry (Actually, I kinda completely expected it.) Lagoon Engine was going to be my DNAngel fix until Sugisaki ended the hiatus Anime cry

I liked Nosatsu Junkie too...

I'm not too excited about TP's whole "media" ambitions. The music they produced (The Initial D albums and the "Anime Trax" album) wasn't that great. At all. Actually, it was kinda bad Anime cry
DJ Milky had a preview for his book, "The Karma Club" in something I read... It was kinda weird. Not really in an appealing way either.

There's a lot of stuff they want to do with Princess Ai too, it sounds like. Does anyone know exactly how popular Ai is?? I liked the art, but I really wasn't too fond of the story...
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Trinity Blood - Reborn On The Mars volume 3

Shocked .... Crying or Very sad I really, really, really, really hope that this is just an indication of postponement. I love the original novels so much! At least I can still get volume 3 of the first series. I think Tokyopop would do well to explain in a bit more detail exactly what their plans are. As it is, they seem to be making a certain portion of their customers anxious and upset with a general feeling of suspense and confusion. At least Someday's Dreamers: Spellbound is all out....maybe I should get the rest of the volumes I don't have in case they also stop printing new editions of existing series? Confused Anime cry
Shigi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Iceqwene wrote:
It seems like I'm the only person still reading Dragon Voice. It was on it's last volume too.

Nope, I was reading it too! Come on, it was the LAST volume. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Teumessian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Hate to be the bearer of worse news, but an order I placed last week just got responded to.

Dear Valued Customer:
Thank you for your recent order. Unfortunately, we have been informed by
our vendor that this title is no longer available. We have cancelled the
order for this item and your credit card has not been charged. We
apologize for the delay in notifying you and for any inconvenience this
may have caused.

Item # Description Quantity Cancelled
TOKYP780009 BKS : FRUITS BASKET 20 1.00
TOKYP781035 BKS : WELCOME TO THE NHK 8 1.00

The order was with DeepDiscount, so I don't know how valid it is, since I once received a message like this for something that was on backorder for 3 months.
Pandy Wandy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for keeping the fans up to date, ANN.

I'm still waiting on official word for Aria, V.B. Rose, Kingdom Hearts II, and the Vampire Kisses OEL.

I wonder if anyone in Tokyopop's upper management reads these forums. I would like to hear their opinions on the fans reactions to their favorite series being canceled/delayed.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Three titles on the list, and at least as many more from the wholesale novel slaughter .... phooey. Time to go prop-up some twelve-stringers so they don't turn into cancelations.
puffypancake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Eh, the novels are confirmed canceled but that manga aren't yet so I will refrain from panic for the time being.

Lagoon Engine 5 was canceled and resolicited more times that I can remember so this is probably just another delay.

As for the other titles, they may just be rescheduled for the future. Some of them were quite good sellers at the anime shop I work at so I am not too worried yet. The canceled novels though sold terribly which was sad. God forbid people have to read paragraphs.

Manga buying has slowed a bunch with the economy so hopefully many of the titles will just be going on longer release schedules.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I already knew about Gosick and Missing. Thankfully, there was nothing else I was collecting on the list. Though that doesn't necessarily mean they are safe, they may just not have had a release this month. On a slightly optimistic note, its possible that some of these titles may just be delayed, but I wouldn't count on that.

Teumessian wrote:
Hate to be the bearer of worse news, but an order I placed last week just got responded to.

Dear Valued Customer:
Thank you for your recent order. Unfortunately, we have been informed by
our vendor that this title is no longer available. We have cancelled the
order for this item and your credit card has not been charged. We
apologize for the delay in notifying you and for any inconvenience this
may have caused.

Item # Description Quantity Cancelled
TOKYP780009 BKS : FRUITS BASKET 20 1.00
TOKYP781035 BKS : WELCOME TO THE NHK 8 1.00

The order was with DeepDiscount, so I don't know how valid it is, since I once received a message like this for something that was on backorder for 3 months.

I just can't see Fruits Basket being canceled unless Tokyopop is canceling everything. Someone also got a similar message from DeepDiscount about the next volume of Nodame Cantabile. I suspect its more likely that something is simply going on between DD and the vendors and I don't think that their problems with getting the title necessarily means anything about what the publisher intends to do with it.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry but worrying about Fruits Basket is really stupid, it's Tokyopop's most succesfull title. Even if the company goes bankrupt, any other manga publisher would be glad to finish the series.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
emilydastrange wrote:
Kurishojo wrote:
It was confirmed over at the BLU forums that Love Mode (Vol. 10) and the next volume of Gakuen Heaven are currently postponed, not cancelled.

"“Right now, these are postponed. Please support Love Mode 10 when it comes out in August. If it sells as well as volume 9 or better, it will be very difficult for us to not do volume 11."

Link: http://messageboard.blumanga.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037

Volume 11, not 10, is postponed. Volume 10 is out in August, and the fate of 11 is dependent on how well 10 sells (already preordered mine).
Hmmm, looks like it's time for me to pony up and buy Love Mode v09 & 10 (I stalled at v08). It'd be a shame to see the last volume go unpublished.

Too bad about Suppli. I had really enjoyed the live-action J-drama adaptation of this manga and was considering it as a replacement for the now-finished Tramps Like Us (Kimi wa Petto).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teumessian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
Pirkaf wrote:
I'm sorry but worrying about Fruits Basket is really stupid, it's Tokyopop's most succesfull title. Even if the company goes bankrupt, any other manga publisher would be glad to finish the series.

I know Fruits Basket is safe, at most it's going to be delayed; not sure about NHK, one book left no longer makes it safe. I just kept it there because that was the whole email - out of the 20 or so books I ordered, only the two Tokyopop books got canceled.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
If there was a delay with Fruits Basket (which I highly doubt), it might actually be a good sign for the rest of their titles, because it means maybe they haven't been canceled outright.

Yes, I'm going to cling to what hope I can find, no matter how slim, because I want the rest of Suppli Sad I tried watching the drama, but I found that it was too different for my tastes. Plus Eita seems to be stalking me and showing up in every single show I watch Anime dazed
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
*sigh* why oh why did they get rid of Suppli?

Well...Del Rey for the win I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5