• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: South Carolina Student Removed over "Death Note" List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Ryokosha wrote:
Can I ask a general question, had say Virigina Tech, Columbine and other such events in schools not happened, would you all be reacting the same to this?
but the thing is.... it DID happen, that is why people are reacting the way they have done. Because Virigina Tech and Columbine are living proof that people are that twisted in the head that they can resort to this kind of action. If these school shootings never took place then sure I don't doubt that the reaction to this story would be toned down to a greater extent but then that would be based in a world where none of these horrific events ever happened.

Last edited by Killtheshrew on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
It is an over-reaction. considering the amount of kids who shoot each other, or shoot up schools a few named written in a notebook are harmless. I wonder if they do a search of non-Death notes as well.

I can see it now, something akin to a weapons search but a person trained in noteboook checking.

"These Chem notes look suspicious. Bomb making in the beginnging stages? Cuff him! The judge will throw the book at him!"

Kid: But its just my midterm notes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
EDIT - I wonder if they ever had this problem in Japan. >_>;

Osaka School Massacre, a blog for a ijime-related suicide that happened back in 2006, and there have been many other incidents, which have been on an increase lately in Japan.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I like how everyone keeps referring to Columbine or V-Tech for school shootings, when they are happening constantly nowadays.

http://media.www.thenews.org/media/storage/paper651/news/2008/02/22/News/Recent.School.Shootings.Raise.Concern.On.Campus-3227161.shtml

I read about this at work a couple weeks ago. It's a regular occurence now. The school did what it was supposed to do. When you find a possible threat, you don't ask questions and wait to see what happens before taking action. Their responsibility is to the ENTIRE STUDENT BODY, and that means removing any possible threat until they can investigate it. This is different from 'innocent until proven guilty'. Even in normal criminal cases, the suspect is still put in jail, on bail, away from society, until the trial, to prevent them from doing, or doing again, whatever they are being accused of. It's common sense. And those of you who think this is an overreaction are being immature and unrealistic.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
It is an over-reaction. considering the amount of kids who shoot each other, or shoot up schools a few named written in a notebook are harmless. I wonder if they do a search of non-Death notes as well.

I can see it now, something akin to a weapons search but a person trained in noteboook checking.

"These Chem notes look suspicious. Bomb making in the beginnging stages? Cuff him! The judge will throw the book at him!"

Kid: But its just my midterm notes!

So was there any other notes in there you can account for? And hereis also a summary of school related violence in 2007 according to the FBI. This is a serious thing that is going on out there, we have already had blood shed in 2008. If this were to happen in your school what would you feel or do?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Osaka School Massacre, a blog for a ijime-related suicide that happened back in 2006, and there have been many other incidents, which have been on an increase lately in Japan.

......I can't read those characters, you know. x_x

I meant...in terms of Death Note, if it's happened in Japan, or even from influence of Battle Royale. Like media wise. Like how Jack Thompson blames school shootings on GTA or other video games.

>.>; I really hope they don't remake that movie in America, that would just go for all kinds of controversy.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
There was a Battle Royale related incident. A 12 year old killed one of her classmates by strangling her, and it was found out that she the BR novels and had been reading them. A very dedicated fan, but also wrote some stuff about killing and all that.

Edit: Here is one of the links.

Last edited by fighterholic on Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
chaosrefugee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Please tell me of a few examples.

It depends on what you consider an example. People have been suspended and expelled for these kinds of list for quite some time. There are people on this thread talking about how they were suspended for such things as well as saying aggressive things unintentionally as an aside. If you want an example that has garnered media attention, that's a bit harder since this case has a scapegoat the media can use, Death Note. However, such lists have been found tied with other shootings like the Columbine guys.
tygerchickchibi wrote:

I'm not really assuming anything, I was really pointing out in general of kids that do that type of thing. Hell, he could've just picked it out of the store and thought it was cool. In terms of "us," I just meant the ones who actually use it for novelty, not the ones who mix fantasy with reality. I know there are crazy f*ckers out there, I'm not that naive. But yes, some people CAN use it as a regular notebook if he/she wishes to. I don't see how that would be an assumption when it's possible

tygerchickchibi wrote:

I said most, not all. =P You're putting words in my mouth. Try again.

I get where your coming from and apologize for saying you're assuming things( also swear you had said "all", >.>). However, I just don't understand why the kid would just use it for a notebook when it's got "DEATH NOTE" smack dab on the front but anything is possible. I just hope people learn from this: dont bring death notes to school even if it's for fun or just a notebook and for the love of God don't right names in it (or any other book). It can get you in serious trouble even if you're just joking.

tygerchickchibi wrote:

Not sure if Japan had problems, but I know China did with the manga a whiles back.
Reno-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't see this as overreacting at all, especially in light of all the school shootings. This is no different from a hit list, and I've read Death Note. Kids know about the school shootings and the sorts of things they'll get in trouble for in light of them - doing something like this is flat out stupid.

Overreacting is more along the lines of suspending a kid for doing an assignment properly, which happened to my sister. They were supposed to write a poem from the point of view of a character in something - she chose a character from All Quiet on the Western Front (which they had watched earlier that year). The poem was unsurprisingly violent, and unsurprisingly anti-war... They suspend her for a week and consider kicking her out of the school thinking she was going to go on a rampage. That's overreacting and stupid.

Overreacting would be doing this to the kid...if they'd been using the Death Note as a notebook.
Prodigiosus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if there was any mention about the parents in this situation. Has anyone ever sat down with this kid and said, "Honey, just because it works in the anime doesn't mean it will work in real life. And unless you've got a shinigami hovering over you, you can be pretty sure your experiment has failed. By the way, don't kill people, mommy doesn't like it."

Not trying to downplay the severity of the situation, because I'd remove this kid too. Obviously he doesn't have it all together and he needs someone to talk to.

As for the connection to the anime/manga, I just think it's unfair. There's nothing to say this kid wouldn't have written the exact same list of people even without watching the show. Lots of kids have been suspended for such actions and there was never any mention of Death Note in any form.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Ugh... >.>;; Thanks for the info. 12 years old, ne?

Hmm...sad, sad sad.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Prodigiosus wrote:
As for the connection to the anime/manga, I just think it's unfair. There's nothing to say this kid wouldn't have written the exact same list of people even without watching the show. Lots of kids have been suspended for such actions and there was never any mention of Death Note in any form.

Not the first time it happened.
scineram

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Confederate Flag good, Death Note bad. Rolling Eyes

Well, is this false?
Chiaki777

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
The fact of the matter is, we have someone who wrote names of other students in a notebook that in theory kills them. I'd have to take such an act rather seriously. It's not whether we believe in the nonsense of someone using a mock Death Note, but more in the motives behind writing the classmate's names.

I don't think anyone overreacted here.

So the kid was using a Death Note reference, it's only part of the news story. I don't think they hate the anime or anything. It's only a link, not an accusation.
BennyMono

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I HATE PEPLE ALWAS HAVING GO AT ANIME.

Deaf note was relly good and not fair that studant had book, he was cool to have book i want book.

I'M GONNA BOYCOT ALL ANIME UNTILL SCHOOL STOPS HAVING GO. KID WASANT GOING TO KILL PEOPLE.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9