• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Damaged Orders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
I've got a question. So, in a recent TRSI order I purchased the Crest of the Stars, Anime Legends edition with all four discs in one box. The first disc doesn't play properly to the point where episodes 3 and 4 are effectively unwatchable. The other three discs are perfectly fine. Would I be better of contacting RightStuf or Bandai to get a replacement?
DClark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I've got a question. So, in a recent TRSI order I purchased the Crest of the Stars, Anime Legends edition with all four discs in one box. The first disc doesn't play properly to the point where episodes 3 and 4 are effectively unwatchable. The other three discs are perfectly fine. Would I be better of contacting RightStuf or Bandai to get a replacement?

I sent my Berserk brick back to Rightstuf when I discovered it included two 5th disks and no 6th disk. I mailed back the full brick and they mailed me a new one; I was very satisfied with Rightstuf's service.

As a bit of an aside that kind of fits with the damaged orders theme of the thread, I had a very unusual experience when I unwrapped my DVD 1 and DVD 2 of my Genshiken box set; they absolutely wreaked of cigar smoke. I ended up switching the cases with empty spare cases I have and doused everything in Febreeze to get rid of the smell.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote
I've had a few rank DVDs myself... although mine smelled like our vaccum when the belt catches something, sort of a burnt-rubber smell.

(Does cigar smoke smell like that? Laughing )

I always assumed they'd bought a cheap batch of DVD cases and left them to air out awhile. oddly enough, the problem was almost exclusive to Funimation DVDs.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

I would contact TRSI first to see if they would prefer you go straight to Bandai. While there is a replacement program listed on AoD regarding Escaflowne Anime Legends glitches, the same cannot be said of Crest of the Stars. TRSI will respond quickly to your inquiry and steer you in the proper direction, I am sure. TRSI has all my love. And as long as they don't give me any fits when I ask them to change the address on all of my preorders (I'm moving soon), they'll continue to have it. ^_-
recca25

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
In the past I bought two Anime Legends series that turned out to contain some defective discs so I returned them to the seller. Given this and the recent posts here that mention a similar problem regarding an Anime Legends series, I am now inclined to think that discs stored in bricks (Anime Legends series come out in bricks) are far more susceptible to being damaged than those stored in singles or thinpacks.

I wish Bandai will follow ADV and others by releasing thinpacks instead of bricks. Media Blasters releases a lot of bricks, but recently, it was announced that they will re-release Shura No Toki but this time in thinpacks. I hope this is a sign that we will see more and more thinpacks and less and less bricks in the future.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
I do believe the issue is not with the method of storage, but rather coding issues on some of the earlier versions of the Anime Legends DVDs. I've yet to have any trouble with bricked series: Galaxy Angel (all through A), Magic Knight Rayearth, Sailor Moon season 1 and 2 are all perfectly fine. I haven't, however, tested any of my Anime Legends discs yet, such as Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars 1 & 2, nor my Escaflowne brick; however, I do know that they fixed the glitches on Escaflowne, so hopefully I have one of those versions. Moreover, it doesn't seem like there have been too many reported glitches on the Stars stuff, given there isn't an exchange program in place. If any of them have issues though, I'll have to try to get a replacement through Bandai rather than the seller--I bought all of them at least a year or so ago. ^^;

Yes, I have trouble getting through all the anime I buy, but I am finally starting to work on the backlog a bit.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote
I'm with Mylene in that I doubt the storage method is related to the damaged discs. Visually there was no damage on the disc, but there were 5 second pauses for each second of play.
recca25

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Mylene:

1. Certainly storing discs in bricks is safe enough that manufacturers can continue storing discs in bricks; if too many complaints on damaged discs stored in bricks were raised, manufacturers would certainly stop storing discs in bricks. I'm just saying that of the various methods of storing discs (singles, thinpacks, bricks) - all of which are safe enough methods of storing discs -, using bricks is probably the most unsafe.

2. My impression from your posts (so I'm projecting a bit here) is that there is a replacement program for Escaflowne Anime Legends because earlier batches of this series have coding problems, but there is no such program for other Anime Legends series. This tells me that the batches of the other Anime Legends series produced do not have coding problems because otherwise there would be replacement programs for them too. So the defective Anime Legends series reported here are not defective because of coding problems. (I'm assuming here that discs are coded in batches and so either all discs in a batch have coding problems or none or a very neglible few discs in a batch have coding problems. If this assumption is wrong, my inference in this section is invalid.)

Dorcas:

1. A disc doesn't have to have visible physical damage to have been damaged due to storage. So ruling out storage method as a cause for the damage is premature.

2. Like the others who have responded to you, I too am very satisfied with TRSI's customer service. I'm sure you can get your defective discs exchanged without much problem.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:13 am Reply with quote
The thing is, I cannot really see how storing DVDs in a brick is really any different from storing them in multiple DVD cases (except that bricks--particularly the Anime Legends ones--are ugly.) Unless it's of the variety where the DVDs overlap, nothing is really different in the way that they hang off the hub except that there are more hubs available in the box. They don't move anymore than regular DVDs. Moreover, just because there isn't a listed exchange program in place for Crest and Banner on AoD (that's where I got the info), that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a bad batch issue. Those two shows (and probably other, older Anime Legends series) probably aren't going to sell as well as something like Escaflowne, so it may take longer for Bandai to verify that there is indeed a coding issue. Has anyone reported problems with the latest AL collections? Love Hina, Scrapped Princess, and the like?

Bricks are ugly, but just looking at them, I can't see any reason they'd be any "less safe" than a normal case unless they're the variety where the DVDs are stacked on each other with no protection between discs.
E-Arkham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quote
Incidently, I did take the advice of some posters in this thread and ordered from TSRI rather than DeepDiscount. Despite my initial plan of only spending $40ish, I bought a bit over $100 worth of DVDs: Two artboxes and six DVDs.

I was extremely pleased with the shipping. Fast (and free for that matter), but more importantly very well packed in a cardboard box and not a bit of damage to anything. Essentially packaged as a box within a box.

Definitely going to buy from them again. Thanks for the advice, folks.

Kep
DClark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
E-Arkham wrote:
Incidently, I did take the advice of some posters in this thread and ordered from TSRI rather than DeepDiscount. Despite my initial plan of only spending $40ish, I bought a bit over $100 worth of DVDs: Two artboxes and six DVDs.

I was extremely pleased with the shipping. Fast (and free for that matter), but more importantly very well packed in a cardboard box and not a bit of damage to anything. Essentially packaged as a box within a box.

Definitely going to buy from them again. Thanks for the advice, folks.

Kep

That's one problem I have when buying from Rightstuf; I buy too much Razz . Looking at my order history I've ordered from them eight times and my average order is just under 2 box sets/complete collections and 6 1/2 DVDs per order (and once I ordered the Ryogi Shiki figurine during a sale when it was in stock - it's a very nice looking figurine).

Being Canadian I get free shipping once I get to $150usd (before sales discounts) and I usually buy stuff when they have their specific publisher sales so I'm already usually up near or past $100, then pad the order with interesting looking anime just to get free shipping. Right now I'm waiting for an ADV sale so I can buy Le Chevalier D'Eon and Kurau, and with the Gunslinger Girl anime announcement I looked and found out that the GG manga is published by ADV too, so I might end up buying all five volumes of that series even though the Chevalier and Kurau DVDs should be close to or ove $150 before padding the order with GG manga.

About the only gripe I have is that I can't track my order when it's sent, but free is free and I can usually count on it showing up about ten business days after they e-mail me that it's being shipped out. And I agree that Rightstuf is great at packing their boxes well.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:11 am Reply with quote
I bought the RahXephon thinkpack from TRSI about 3 weeks ago and as luck would have it, a defect wasn't found till the 6th disc(episode 20 would stop at about 3 minutes then suddenly skip 9 minutes into the episode) with a slight defect in the 5th(an episodejust stops for a couple seconds before continuing normally). Sadly I had to return the whole thinpack instead of just the 2 defective discs. I suppose it's not their fault considering they don't sell the thinpacks individually(however, I do think that the thinpack format is exactly the same as the original releasing of the DVDs), but still pretty ticked at that. Love the series, but watching it over again to check for defects in a little more than 3 weeks(assuming it doesn't take more than a week for me to get my exchange back) isn't going to be nearly as enjoyable.
recca25

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
DFBTG: I received the RahXephon thinpak from TRSI more than a month ago, but I have still not been able to watch it. So your post made me a bit scared. After I saw your post, I immediately checked the section of ep. 20 you mentioned. Thankfully I found no defect. I was wondering whether you tried running your disc 6 using another player; if you did and found the same defect, it's the disc that is probably the problem. Anyway, even though I found no defect in the ep. 20 of my disc (which is great), I at least was able to see portions of RahXephon. The portions I saw were beautiful, so I'm definitely putting RahXephon on the top of my to-watch list after I'm done with some of the series I'm currently watching.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
recca25: I tried running it on my computer and brothers laptop, froze up both of them and I was forced to shut them down. That and disc 7(and obviously the other ones not mentioned earlier) worked perfectly. Still, so sad.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Bandai's Anime Legend sets are notorious for having problems unfortunately, I've exchanged one myself and I didn't even order it but bought it from Best Buy. I've seen problems with those sets often reported here on ANN and on other forums. Bandai is usually pretty good about replacing it for you, I used their e-mail support and had it taken care of in no time. I wouldn't put the blame on TRSI in this case though, the fact it's yet another Anime Legends set makes me look again at Bandai.

On the order of damaged shipments though I've found that Deep Discount DVD hasn't had a very good track record as of late and I can see why. I order shipments from other companies and I get them in boxes with packaging, but when I order from DDD it comes in a tight box just barely large enough for the package with no packaging. DDD is often the cheapest option, but they tend to be slow and you hear a lot about damaged shipments or even items arriving damaged while the package it was in is still pristine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6