• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rurouni Kenshin TV Anime Reveals Cast, Staff, 2023 Premiere on Noitamina

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote
Saito's an interesting choice for Kenshin. Don't know how I feel about Takahashi as Kaoru but it could work if she channels her inner Sana from Breaker instead of her usual roles.

Do wonder if its not going to be 1/1 since Kenshin shouldn't have the scar in the past but maybe they're changing up when he gets it.

And I see the thread's already been derailed as early as page 1. Not surprised.
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:49 am Reply with quote
I'm going to say something that will probably upset people, but I'm saying it because I believe it is true.

Most people do not care what the author has done. They just want an anime of his work. This isn't about distancing the author from the work, it's simply that most do not care as long as they get what they want. It's sad, but I truly believe it's true. And companies care first and furthermost about money. And if what I just said is true, and I believe it is (feel free to disagree, it's just my observation), then they won't have any problem making money from this.

Am I going to watch this? Maybe. Though I truly doubt it's going to be good. Look at Shaman King. It was so rushed you had to read about the manga to understand what the hell was going on in the last arc. Sure, Kenshin is a much simpler story, so that might not be a problem. But considering the studio....
Excoman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I mean, what do you want me to do?

Why should I care about people I don't even know, or they about me, for that matter?

It's not just anime, a LOT of things that we consume on daily basis is connected to various kinds of people, many of them much, much worse than Watsuki, but that is simply reality.
ESPECIALLY, if money is concerned.

Go live in the forest if you don't like it.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I’d go with “basic human empathy” but hey good job going the extra distance to say you do not care about victims of any kind.

Not sure why you’d be invested in Kenshin at all if you spend the whole time wondering why Kenshin should care if people live or die.
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Excoman wrote:
I mean, what do you want me to do?

Weep for the world, then go about your day, I guess. I feel like you think I was attacking you in some way, but I really wasn't.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:51 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
This is what it is, sigh, but if Noitamina doing a mainstream Shounen Jump battle anime doesn´t prove that the purpose of the block was lost years ago then I don´t know what can. Probably in 2016 with Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress? Lol.

Seriously, I'd say it was between that and when they decided to air TPN, a straight up Weekly Shounen Jump adaptation.
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Hey man, they have to pay the bills.
Excoman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:12 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
I’d go with “basic human empathy” but hey good job going the extra distance to say you do not care about victims of any kind.

Not sure why you’d be invested in Kenshin at all if you spend the whole time wondering why Kenshin should care if people live or die.

Because both Watsuki, and his victims are complete strangers to most of us, and no matter what you say, most people can really only empathize with others actually related to them.

As for Kenshin anime, that is another thing, I actually GET to see what is happening myself in it.

Just because people don't care about strangers, doesn't make them heartless bastards.
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Excoman wrote:
most people can really only empathize with others actually related to them.

That's... not exactly true though. You can empathize with strangers. In fact, most do. But empathizing with someone is not something meaningful unless you do something about it. And most people will not do anything about it unless it involves someone they know, or care about. And short, you are right, just not for the reasons you think you are. And no, it does not make you heartless. Truth is that almost all people are like this, even if they don't admit it. It's actually healthy to be like this, otherwise we would not be able to cope with this world. So don't be ashamed.
catone2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
catone2 wrote:
VIZ dropping the manga is still one of the stupidest decisions.

Yeah, I also hate when companies have standards. Rolling Eyes

Don't throw your extremes or personal standards at me, thanks. You should feel strongly or stand up for it, but I don't care about that nor did I ever say I hate VIZ for it. I said it was a stupid decision. If they followed exactly what their Japanese equivalent did that would be perfectly fine so those who want to still enjoy the series can do so in an easily accessible way. But again, it's done on the law side so it's done for me. I don't have any interest dragging it out.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:54 pm Reply with quote
It's so interesting that the simple act of acknowledging Watsuki is a criminal is considered "derailing" threads. The first mention of it in this thread was not even explicit, but it got quoted by another user with a "here we go again!" reaction. The people that don't want it brought up ever are the ones prolonging that discussion.

I wish the rights could be stripped away from this disgusting guy so he wouldn't be paid. Or better yet, Shueisha just stop making new media of this, but that's never going to happen. I pray he smokes weed in public one day.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:55 pm Reply with quote
catone2 wrote:
but I don't care about that

Literally could've just said this by itself.
ab2143

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I bet it’s going to be a super condensed remake
Excoman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
It's so interesting that the simple act of acknowledging Watsuki is a criminal is considered "derailing" threads. The first mention of it in this thread was not even explicit, but it got quoted by another user with a "here we go again!" reaction. The people that don't want it brought up ever are the ones prolonging that discussion.

I wish the rights could be stripped away from this disgusting guy so he wouldn't be paid. Or better yet, Shueisha just stop making new media of this, but that's never going to happen. I pray he smokes weed in public one day.
So, basically what you are saying is that once someone commits a crime, they shouldn't be forgiven for the rest of their lives, and no even given a chance to earn for their livelihood?

In other words, you want such a person to die, right?

Because, no money --> no food --> no life.

In that case, why not be true to your beliefs to the end, and just go to Japan, and kill the person yourself?

I honestly doubt even people who were actually wrongend are so sick as people like you.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Ishida_Akira(fake) wrote:
Excoman wrote:
most people can really only empathize with others actually related to them.

That's... not exactly true though. You can empathize with strangers. In fact, most do. But empathizing with someone is not something meaningful unless you do something about it. And most people will not do anything about it unless it involves someone they know, or care about. And short, you are right, just not for the reasons you think you are. And no, it does not make you heartless. Truth is that almost all people are like this, even if they don't admit it. It's actually healthy to be like this, otherwise we would not be able to cope with this world. So don't be ashamed.

Why do both of you have to speak for everyone in these statements? There's no way you can measure that "most people don't care about x". Just speak for yourself instead of making generalities that make your position seem reasonable.

The argument that "most people don't care about others" is, if anything, a horrible indictment of humanity, not an excuse to also not care or absolve an individual's inability to be more than a self-centered consumer.

It's amazing to me that people can watch hours and hours of shows about heroes and not take away anything meaningful from it to improve who they are as a person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12