• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parallel World Pharmacy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
I think they're from a different kingdom too?

That was definitely the impression I got.

Thesarum wrote:
So the crashing of the manure cart into a royally-sanctioned pharmacy and the abduction of a royal pharmacist is actually a massive international incident.

Yeah, totally, right? If they’re the ones responsible, it’s a ballsy move, for sure.

My gut feeling is using a manure cart would be beneath them, so I was initially leaning towards the merchants being responsible for the cart, and the clergymen taking advantage of the confusion to lure Farma out. However, unless there’s some magical method for long-distance communication (have we seen that in this show?—can’t remember), I can’t see how they’d be ready and waiting for him in that distant field without having set up the crash in the first place.

I’m thoroughly enjoying this show and can’t wait to see how events unfold next week!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
There was quite a bit of time between the attack and when they sent in the woman. So if they were watching the place, which I'm sure they were, I think they had time to activate their plan. They had horses too.

The thing I had a problem with was how they got the horse to run blindfolded. You can lead a blindfolded horse, but sending it off running without a driver? It'd just go three steps and stop. That's why you'd blindfold a horse in the first place - to calm it down and keep it from running all over the place.

I suppose it could have been a fly mask, which it can see through, since it was hauling manure. Smile But it didn't look like any I've seen, and I didn't get the impression whoever sent it was much concerned for its comfort.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:36 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure they said they were from the Holy Kingdom (as opposed to the Empire), but presumably they have religious influence in the Empire since they had an orphanage there. Still, no small move to go in to another country to attack a lord's son. Though I'm sure they'll justify it with religious doctrine.

Speaking of, while I'm sure plenty of people saw that beam of light, how did some kid see Farma not having a shadow all the way on some isolated beach? He'd be lucky to even see a person considering how isolated they seemed to be. Was some detail of him hiding in the woods or something nearby left out?

You'd think the threat against his son would prompt Farma's father to assign him a personal guard or something...

That scene with the little sister in the hospital really hit Anime cry
Penrhos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:47 am Reply with quote
Farma's already been warned of being labelled an "Heretic" and possible execution so the foreboding was in place for the cliffhanger.

Also liking the fact that they're dealing with previous trauma well.

It's unlikely that he'll go postal on the Priests so I suspect the glowing crest will prevail or some religious high-up will need treating and will give him a "Get out of Jail free" card...

I didn't have high hopes for this but it's proving to be better than the last batch of Isekai pharmacy shows, lets hope it doesn't fumble the rest of the season.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the show is going to continue to ignore the needed production methods. The next episode preview mentions influenza and if that is to be combated it would need wide spread use of penicillin. And while poultices are possible for wounds treating infuenza would require cultivation and mass production of the mosses needed and the manufacturing processes to extract it.

That said shouldnt the production methods for his creme's and incenses indicate a level of production where this society should be going through renaissance level technology?

Its was fun to have a bit of friction in the show, I also support how it keeps tieing back into Farma's Do No Harm creed.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I wonder if the show is going to continue to ignore the needed production methods. The next episode preview mentions influenza and if that is to be combated it would need wide spread use of penicillin. And while poultices are possible for wounds treating infuenza would require cultivation and mass production of the mosses needed and the manufacturing processes to extract it.

That said shouldnt the production methods for his creme's and incenses indicate a level of production where this society should be going through renaissance level technology?

Its was fun to have a bit of friction in the show, I also support how it keeps tieing back into Farma's Do No Harm creed.

In the previous episode where they visited Marseirre the anime skipped a scene where Bruno gave Farma the land where herbs are grown and Farma explained his plan to build a lab and workshop to mass produce medicine. While it doesn't explain the production methods in detail it would at least explain how he was going to get a regular supply without using his powers. The anime has already skipped quite a few things including a patient dealing with mental health issues. Unless they decide to animate it next week.
Seraph89

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:15 am Reply with quote
They might deal with the patient with mental health issues a little later since the big thing about that case is the misconception surrounding it that ties into Farma's OWN misconceptions about the world he's in. spoiler[When he treats the woman for her case of "evil spirits" (in reality she suffers from mild schizophrenia) , and seemingly debunks their existence in his own mind, he makes a nearly fatal error in assuming because he hasn't encountered any evil spirits must mean they don't exist. This proves to be extremely incorrect.] In fact, and this is a major spoiler, spoiler[his very existence in San Fleuve is the reason evil spirits don't show up there. His very presence, as the god of medicine, purifies the area making it so illnesses and evil spirits are less likely to occur there.]

This episode is basically the turning point of the series where Farma starts getting some hard reality checks about what he really is , and how the world really operates.spoiler[Namely that yes, he really is the Panactheos.]
Penrhos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:46 am Reply with quote
Well i was almost right with the get out of jail card theory.

It's looking like the manure cart was work of the Guild so he's got some work to do to overcome that (perhaps he should have taken lessons from Myne in Bookworm and got them onboard first).
Seraph89

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:33 pm Reply with quote
TBF, there's been enough context clues that supported your theory that it was a really good guess. Also eagle eyed viewers would be able to catch Salomon in the OP chatting up Farma so there's that.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:54 am Reply with quote
Why does the author use the archaic term pharmaceutist?
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:32 am Reply with quote
So the anime skipped a certain scene that would have caused quite a bit of backlash so I get why they did that but I wish they didn't skip the flu aftercare instructions that Farma gave in the manga version. Its educational. Also the added backstory of Veron's child was not in the manga or novels. I assume it was done to make him more sympathetic instead of one-dimensional.
Seraph89

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm actually kind of glad they removed the rectal thermometer scene.

Though the addition they gave to Vernon's backstory is gonna be a weird detail given what happens later. Spoilers: spoiler[Him, and every member of the Pharmacist guild, die due to their hubris. Thankfully they spare their families from their stupidity but all of the idiots die.]

I am worried that at the pace the anime is going they'll ether need to do a full hour final ep to cover the big event, or might just not cover it at all.

Last edited by Seraph89 on Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:22 pm Reply with quote
A bit of an idealistic ending to the episode but it had good drama. I had thought with influenza being so hard to control before anti microbials that we might have an epidemic on our hands. Which would require co-operation to control. Though what we got was good. Overlord was the show that gave the example of how often the more interesting stories in an isekai are the ones told from the perspective of the side characters whose lives are impacted by the strength of the other-worlder.

Ideally to me the ending scene would of had some interested parties and perhaps the old man regular turning up to browse. But not a whole giant crowd, with it ending on him determined to grow, attract new customers and treat the sick well. That is my personal thoughts on how to write the ending, not a criticism but my ideal.

Frankly I am not sure until the fellow is updated on diagnosis techniques how he could prescribe newer medicines. At least the kinds with very serious side effects if taken wrong. Which would make him more of the store front rather then a chemists. But I will assume that such busy work is not included for not being entertaining material.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
A bit of an idealistic ending to the episode but it had good drama. I had thought with influenza being so hard to control before anti microbials that we might have an epidemic on our hands. Which would require co-operation to control. Though what we got was good. Overlord was the show that gave the example of how often the more interesting stories in an isekai are the ones told from the perspective of the side characters whose lives are impacted by the strength of the other-worlder.

Ideally to me the ending scene would of had some interested parties and perhaps the old man regular turning up to browse. But not a whole giant crowd, with it ending on him determined to grow, attract new customers and treat the sick well. That is my personal thoughts on how to write the ending, not a criticism but my ideal.

Frankly I am not sure until the fellow is updated on diagnosis techniques how he could prescribe newer medicines. At least the kinds with very serious side effects if taken wrong. Which would make him more of the store front rather then a chemists. But I will assume that such busy work is not included for not being entertaining material.

The anime didn't show this but Pierre had undergone a training seminar with Farma for basic knowledge of how to treat patients and the medicines he'll be selling from now on and any serious or unknown cases he gets will be sent to Farma
Seraph89

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Also if I'm right about what the title of next week's ep is referring to, we're gonna get the coolest medical case Farma gets to treat (before the big one).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6