• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Anime Content Heads to Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:56 pm Reply with quote
That 60 day code is absolutely useless for those of us with both CR and Funi (since the code is for new CR accounts only), so nothing is being given to us? I guess I’ll contact Funi support to see if I can get a partial refund on my yearly subscription that still has like 9 months left. I just really hope they move my Funi digital copies over to Crunchyroll too. With how fast they shut down AnimeLab, I don’t trust that the Funi website will continue to be up, and my digital copies will be gone forever…
Other worries I have: Will Crunchyroll honor uncut bluray video editions that Funimation has updated all this time? Will Crunchyroll finally give English dubs (and other language dubs for that matter) closed captions? Could Crunchyroll just put multiple audio language options into the videos themselves like Funimation does, instead of bloating the series pages with hundreds of seasons/language options (separate URLs for dubs doesn’t seem to be the best idea since they’ll be mostly missed by people looking for them)?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
While I do like the idea of both catalogs on a single service, I'm wondering what this means for Funimation's uncut streams. Crunchy doesn't ever seem to update from the broadcast version.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:17 pm Reply with quote
It may sound nonsense but are non-legal anime sites may end up shuting down because of CR-Funi merge? I actually worried about it. I noticed some animes are still region locked (seasons one of Kaguya-Sama, TPN and Megalobox), Funi animes on CR are premium only and not available for free users, I think not everyone can afford to watch premium only animes on CR and people may go back to watch premium only animes on non-legal anime sites.

Some of Funi's older anime titles are absent, for example Assasination Classroom, Ouran High School Host Club and OG Dragon Ball/Z. I still want to legally watch AssClass on CR.

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:12 pm; edited 5 times in total
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can just say I am glad. I guess Ranking of Kings arriving to CR was a signal of this. If that means more series, best for us.

Even if the different licensing deal in every country can make things difficult... Apparently, in the US I can watch Fire Force in CR, but in Spain, I cannot. Confused
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I couldn’t be madder in how Sony is handling this situation.
I knew Sony was going to make CR it’s streaming arm and I had assumed Funimation was going to stay its video release arm but it doesn’t sound like that is going to happen.

It’s great that my Funimation yearly subscription renewed last month. And I, at best get 2 months free of CR which I already pay for and at worst they take everything.

CR streaming service is worse compared to Funimation. Instead of giving audio options they give shows random seasons for different languages sub/dubs. They have worse compression then Funimation. Funimation posted the home video/ uncut versions of there releases. And don’t get me started on how awful CR Beta is. I’m glad there is less fracturing but I doubt CR is planning on fixing anything about there service.

Still worried on what’s going to happen to all the titles I purchased from Funimation that came with a digital copy.

This goes to show everyone that, If you start out by hosting pirated content, then one day you too can be a monopoly in the Anime Market
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I reached out to Funimation support at people's suggestions, but it really seems like something they should have explained in the email. I'm withholding any rage until I get a reply, but it makes me a little uncomfortable that their only answer is "reach out to support" instead of being upfront about what they'll do about it. Especially since their support already takes a good week to a month to respond, even when they aren't being hammered by inquiries from all their annual customers.

Edit: They replied pretty quickly and say they can transfer all of my remaining time over to Crunchyroll. So anyone in this predicament, just reach out to support and it seems to be a non-issue, other than the lack of communication.

Last edited by rizuchan on Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
So Funimation now only handles dubbing and Blu-Ray releases? That's what I'm getting from both the chat and the announcement. I do wonder if the way they dub will change, like will simuldubs be as important now they don't have their own service and are using CR.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:27 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I reached out to Funimation support at people's suggestions, but it really seems like something they should have explained in the email. I'm withholding any rage until I get a reply, but it makes me a little uncomfortable that their only answer is "reach out to support" instead of being upfront about what they'll do about it. Especially since their support already takes a good week to a month to respond, even when they aren't being hammered by inquiries from all their annual customers.

Agreed on both points. Funimation support doesn't have a great reputation for responsiveness, and it's hard to believe that it didn't occur to them that some subscriptions might have just renewed or a current subscriber may want to cancel with time left because of this. Maybe it would have ruined whatever marketing push they were going for here, but it seems like the better call would have been to announce that this was happening ahead of time and warn anyone who might be renewing that they shouldn't.
Norbuck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:29 pm Reply with quote
What I don't understand is they are saying you you can cancel your Funimation Sub now, but if mine renews near the end of march, how will I watch the final episodes of this season if they are not on CR? or will i have to wait until they move over to watch the final episodes?
Things like Arifureta season 2, How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom season 2 or The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt ?
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but it seems like the better call would have been to announce that this was happening ahead of time and warn anyone who might be renewing that they shouldn't.

This I agree with since I renewed back in January so I am stuck with 10 months of nothing.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Norbuck wrote:
What I don't understand is they are saying you you can cancel your Funimation Sub now, but if mine renews near the end of march, how will I watch the final episodes of this season if they are not on CR? or will i have to wait until they move over to watch the final episodes?
Things like Arifureta season 2, How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom season 2 or The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt ?

That is my frustration, as well. It says that ongoing series will continue on Funimation, but does not say whether they will also be on Crunchyroll soon. My annual renewal comes up in about 6 weeks, which is not going to be enough time to finish up the simuldubs I'm watching. It also looks like I can't switch to a monthly subscription and would have to cancel before then. At which point I'd have to turn right around and make a new monthly subscription to maintain access.

Knowing the plan would help a lot. If the intention is to run ongoing series on both so somebody doesn't have to switch just to finish something, that is fine, and makes sense. But it also reads like you may have to keep it to finish up ongoing shows. I'm fine with the queue/watch status not carrying over since I can just write it down beforehand, but I'd like to know if I can go ahead an cancel since the ongoing simuldubs are all that I was watching.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Considering how long it's been since the acquisition I'm surprised at how poorly they're handling the merge so far. Most things of importance are just 'they're working on it' or something to that degree. Go create a Crunchyroll account isn't a great way to transition people.
Usually you'd expect this announcement to include some kind of time table for transitioning/merging accounts, subscriptions and content. You usually expect companies to make these things easy for customers because they don't want to lose anyone during the change.

Not surprising they went with Crunchy over Funi since I presume that has the larger streaming base, but I wonder what this means for their physical releases. Would have been nice if they shared that info...
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:32 pm Reply with quote
So it begins, was not expecting FUNimation to be the one to get absorbed. May this crisis with sub placement and typesetting be averted then. On a different note, how many layoffs are we going to see? Also, are all translators now going to work under MX Media owned by Crunchyroll who underpays them ($70 an episode) and doesn't actually value them (See: No credits unless a home video release happens)?

Also, will the option of both broadcast and home video versions remain? For series that were simulcast, a little after the home video release hit, HIDIVE and FUNimation would add the home video version as an option. Crunchyroll meanwhile typically doesn't offer home video versions of shows it simulcast. For example, The Seven Mortal Sins, if you want to see that uncensored, you gotta buy the Blu-ray or watch through FUNimation's streams.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Well, I wasn't expecting the FAQ to be quite so clear as to basically say to go ahead and cancel your Funimation subscription. I'm going to check on when mine renews since I think it cuts it pretty close, but it looks like I'll be taking them up on that. Or I might switch to monthly to wrap up any ongoing shows

I suppose it doesn't really matter which one stayed, but I can believe the Crunchyroll was the more viable of the two. It's a bit of a bummer to see the Funimation brand itself phasing out, but aside from that, I doubt much will change. The content will still be there, physical production will almost certainly carry on the way Funimation handled it, and I have to assume that dubbing will predominantly be done in Texas. Although with the sheer amount they will have, it stands to reason we'll still get a decent number of LA dubs, especially since remote recording did slow things down overall.

I suppose there is a little bit of irony here since I would see things like Youtube videos about how "Funimation was buying Crunchyroll" despite it being Sony, and the surviving brand ended up being Crunchyroll.

Yeah. I was not expecting the Funimation brand to be the one to drop or at least not some combined type of name, so all I can think of is that I guess since CR was the bigger just specifically "online streaming" one that's why they decided to bring everything under that and rename. Sounds like it's totally going away even though I think it could have at least stuck around for physical for as long as that lasts.

If so I'm gonna miss the Funimation name (and intro bumper), even though same as you I imagine in practice their dubbing production will still be leading the charge thankfully for us dub viewers who love their dubs/simuldubs (along with their decent number of LA and cross-over dubs).

SilverTalon01 wrote:
While I do like the idea of both catalogs on a single service, I'm wondering what this means for Funimation's uncut streams. Crunchy doesn't ever seem to update from the broadcast version.

This. I always liked that Funimation went back and did that for the shows. I subscribed to Funi over CR for the dubs but that was a nice perk that you'd be watching the home video versions once they went up.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some of Funi's older anime titles are absent

I notice they’ve added nearly a dozen more Funi titles in the hours since the first update, so they might show up very soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13