• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Originals Animated Shows High Guardian Spice, FreakAngels Reveal New Trailers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Looks like one of those fan anime White Radish made 20 years ago.
Nev999

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Longsock wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that there's a massive crossover between anime fans and fans of Steven Universe at least, given that it wears its anime influences on its sleeve (Utena anyone?) and is chock-full of direct anime references, both blatant and subtle. I can't speak for the other two series since I have no personal experience with them, but the reason I originally got into anime was because I loved the idea of animation telling serious stories with sustained character development, so I'm sure I would have eaten up any American animated series doing the same thing.

?? Doesn't that only prove the opposite? People who make American cartoons love anime (specifically Sailor Moon and Utena since that's all that they ever reference) but that doesn't mean anime fans love American cartoons. A lot of comic writers praise manga and try to latch onto its success but we know manga is destroying American comic in sales and comics aren't doing well. Most anime fans I see always talk bad about Steven Universe, HGS, and American cartoons in general especially ones that try to pretend to be anime.. The only people I really see like these cartoons are the ones who care about diversity and representation which most anime fans don't seem to be a fan of and actively say they watch anime because it doesn't focus on things like that. Anyway if there really is this huge crossover between fandoms than it wouldn't have gotten so much backlash.

I think this says a lot more about the fans you hang out with and talk to more than anything about the entire fandom. Steven Universe was undeniably very popular and, as someone who was very quietly a part of and observed that fandom, a lot of those fans were anime fans. Thus, there's a number of anime fans that liked Steven Universe- (with refenced NGE, Captain Harlock and so one as mentioned before, by the way, but wow, it seems to rankle ya that fans and writers of these shows might enjoy famous shoujo, huh? Sailor Moon and Utena were influential to many a young queer weeb back when nobody else was allowed to talk about queer stuff in animation, so now people reference it when they have a gay good time making their own stuff. So whoops, looks like that's just proof anime can have and attract 'diversity' even twenty years ago, its been there for so long, oh no~.) They're just not the fans you talk to.

And I think it's pretty depressing for anyone if they're drawn to anime because they like homogeneity, rather than fun stories, or animation as an artform, or a million of the other things anime has to offer. The Owl House is fun, weird cartoon, anime can be fun and weird too. Strange that people would dismiss it without even watching it based of a diverse cast, but then think not having one somehow determines the quality of a story. Sounds like the kind of thing they accuse 'the enemy' of doing.

People who have the loudest voices and pitch the loudest fits don't represent every anime fan. Conservative bros can definitely be big into anime for their own agenda, but plenty of people are into anime because they like it as an artform, including artists that are creating their own stuff now. And I sure as hell respect people who are inspired by and create stuff because of anime and throw in fun references to it in their work than people who lose their shit and spend energy attacking those people and seeing some imaginary enemy.
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
The show completed production in autumn 2019, several months before The Owl House aired its first episode.

I stand corrected. But I guess that just shows how original American animation is these days.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:44 pm Reply with quote
RE: Overlap of anime and modern day cartoon fandoms

I think taking a step into any random anime convention artist alley would be enough to squash the idea that there is no overlap. I've seen countless artists display and sell merch of stuff like Persona, Fire Emblem, Demon Slayer, etc. side by side with merch for shows like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and heck, even Rick and Morty.

And specifically for HGS, magical girl fans are extremely receptive of shows that fit into the genre regardless of what country it's coming from. Seriously, alongside Precure and Sailor Moon, the magical girl shows I usually see the most discussions for amongst diehard fans of the genre are Winx Club, Miraculous Ladybug, and She-Ra which come from Italy, France, and the US respectively. Saying there's no audience for this show might as well be saying CR shouldn't have bothered putting in all that effort to license Precure and Pripara too.
Nev999

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:49 pm Reply with quote
FunkyDude88 wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
The show completed production in autumn 2019, several months before The Owl House aired its first episode.

I stand corrected. But I guess that just shows how original American animation is these days.

Meanwhile anime definitely doesn't have a glut of shows that look exactly the same and are about the same premise with exactly the same generic main character and there DEFINITELY wasn't a glut of identical 'my harem at the magic academy' shows a decade or so ago.

I find it really weird when people dismiss an entire country's animation output when they say they 'don't like anime' and assume it's all the same. It's really funny to go on these forums and find out other anime fans do the same thing in the opposite direction. Guess it's easier to divide and dismiss. I'm glad I get to enjoy a lot of different things.

I'm really doubting you've even watched The Owl House. Or most people who mention it on these forums as their favorite hot button topic have.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:10 am Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
And I think it's pretty depressing for anyone if they're drawn to anime because they like homogeneity, rather than fun stories, or animation as an artform, or a million of the other things anime has to offer. The Owl House is fun, weird cartoon, anime can be fun and weird too. Strange that people would dismiss it without even watching it based of a diverse cast, but then think not having one somehow determines the quality of a story. Sounds like the kind of thing they accuse 'the enemy' of doing.

I've never watched The Owl House but it does not seem like anything I'd like. The art looks like the same very soft juvenile style everything has these days, and it seems like one of those shows that only has a fanbase because of queer representation. The only thing I've ever heard about it is Luz and Amity. All I ever hear mentioned from any American show these days is talk about a character's sexuality or race or gender identity. I grew up with shows from the 90s and 00s which focused on telling stories, had cool fights, and could also be serious. Things like Justice League, Code Lyoko, Avatar, Gargoyles, W.I.T.C.H., Spider-Man, Ben 10, X-Men Evolution, and stuff like that where none of that was the forefront of a show. It's why the initial trailer for HGS rubbed me the wrong way, along with many other people it would seem. It just seemed like another one of those shows that wanted you to know the characters were women and LGBT and that was all you needed to know because that's all people care about now. But I don't really care about any of that stuff so none of these shows really appeal to me.

American animation can continue to do it's own thing if that's what they want to do. More power to them if that's what the modern audience actually wants. I just have zero interest in it and will stick to anime because it actually has the stuff I want out of animation these days, like a really cool hand-drawn mecha anime from Sunrise this season. If people value representation and things like that then I can see why they love the current age of American animation and other media. But for those of us who just want a good story, cool fight scenes, or other things that doesn't get made any more we have to look elsewhere these days.
Nev999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:22 am Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
Nev999 wrote:

I've never watched The Owl House but it does not seem like anything I'd like. The art looks like the same very soft juvenile style everything has these days, and it seems like one of those shows that only has a fanbase because of queer representation. The only thing I've ever heard about it is Luz and Amity. All I ever hear mentioned from any American show these days is talk about a character's sexuality or race or gender identity. I grew up with shows from the 90s and 00s which focused on telling stories, had cool fights, and could also be serious. Things like Justice League, Code Lyoko, Avatar, Gargoyles, W.I.T.C.H., Spider-Man, Ben 10, X-Men Evolution, and stuff like that where none of that was the forefront of a show. It's why the initial trailer for HGS rubbed me the wrong way, along with many other people it would seem. It just seemed like another one of those shows that wanted you to know the characters were women and LGBT and that was all you needed to know because that's all people care about now. But I don't really care about any of that stuff so none of these shows really appeal to me.

American animation can continue to do it's own thing if that's what they want to do. More power to them if that's what the modern audience actually wants. I just have zero interest in it and will stick to anime because it actually has the stuff I want out of animation these days, like a really cool hand-drawn mecha anime from Sunrise this season. If people value representation and things like that then I can see why they love the current age of American animation and other media. But for those of us who just want a good story, cool fight scenes, or other things that doesn't get made any more we have to look elsewhere these days.

Thank you for proving my point, you did spectacularly. I grew up on those cartoons too, and most of them are good (also diversity WAS often cited as a draw in the ATLA and WITCH fandoms even back then- and I hate to break this to you about Gargoyles- https://watermarkonline.com/2020/05/19/disneys-gargoyles-protagonist-was-gay-creator-confirms/-they wanted to do it, they just weren't allowed) but not automatically special or better than anything that comes after them. Modern American cartoons have good stories and fight scenes, but you'll never know because you've seen some LGBT fans being excited and that's a turnoff to you, and that's nobody's loss but yours. It just makes your opinion on them irrelevant because you don't have any knowledge.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:07 am Reply with quote
In all my years of watching cartoons,and that includes anime,there have been plenty of shows I've enjoyed watching,and that means I've watched stuff for both boys and girls. But,I have to say this. I'm not sure about "High Guardian Spice" like many of you are. I've seen the previous trailers for this show and I'm not really impressed by it. If any of you read my post in the Community section,you're probably going have a good idea about what I'm going to say.
But for those who didn't,here it is. From what I saw,the whole thing looks like it was borrowed from other shows like "Little Witch Academia" and others like it. One thing I can say is that it tries to dabble in the anime style and that may be the only reason to see this show. To me,the whole thing felt derivative,like the creators had to borrow elements from previous fantasy shows from both here and abroad without trying to think of anything original for their own show.

I don't know if "High Guardian Spice" is going to last too long. This shows looks and feels like it needs a lot more than it's able to give. Just because it's been made primarily by females doesn't mean it's going to be anything special. It feels like "High Guardian Spice" is just going to be for a certain group of people,not something that everyone is going to want to see. If I were giving Crunchyroll any of my money,I'd be thinking long and hard about asking them for a refund. I think that what they should be doing is bringing more anime to America,not doing stuff like this.
Longsock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:20 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Most anime fans especially younger fans are progressive diverse communities who are LGBTQIA+ and from racially and gender diverse backgrounds. Anime fandom hasn't been dudebro prominent in like three decades. If you think having a crossover medium would inherently inoculate HGS from backlash you haven't been paying attention to YouTube and Internet conspiracy circles for the past several years.

I meant diversity in the show not the people watching it. Anime is enjoyed worldwide so of course a lot of different people watch it, but that doesn't make those people progressive. If most of the fandom was progressive I doubt the most popular anime every season would be shows like Jobless Reincarnation. Logically the answer for "why do they keep making slave isekai, big booby fanservice harems, and rape-y BL anime?" has to be "because that's what we like". And the people who like that stuff probably aren't the kinds of people you're describing.

Nev999 wrote:
I think this says a lot more about the fans you hang out with and talk to more than anything about the entire fandom. Steven Universe was undeniably very popular and, as someone who was very quietly a part of and observed that fandom, a lot of those fans were anime fans. Thus, there's a number of anime fans that liked Steven Universe- (with refenced NGE, Captain Harlock and so one as mentioned before, by the way, but wow, it seems to rankle ya that fans and writers of these shows might enjoy famous shoujo, huh? Sailor Moon and Utena were influential to many a young queer weeb back when nobody else was allowed to talk about queer stuff in animation, so now people reference it when they have a gay good time making their own stuff. So whoops, looks like that's just proof anime can have and attract 'diversity' even twenty years ago, its been there for so long, oh no~.) They're just not the fans you talk to.

People who have the loudest voices and pitch the loudest fits don't represent every anime fan. Conservative bros can definitely be big into anime for their own agenda, but plenty of people are into anime because they like it as an artform, including artists that are creating their own stuff now. And I sure as hell respect people who are inspired by and create stuff because of anime and throw in fun references to it in their work than people who lose their shit and spend energy attacking those people and seeing some imaginary enemy.

You're just saying what I did: most fans of those shows might like anime, but most anime fans don't like those shows. They may exist in the community but they're all a small minority of people. One that get routinely drowned out by larger majority. I hang out on YouTube, Reddit, Tiktok, and other big communities out there. Any complaints I see is drowned out by hundreds of positive comments or people making fun of the complainers. You can go on YouTube right now and watch The Anime Man's interview with the Redo of Healer author which has 1.2 million views and 91K likes and 744 dislikes. I may be speaking just from the communities I hang out in, but it seems like a very well representative and massive community to me. Like I said if most anime fans were actually into this kind of stuff you'd they'd get even a fraction of the amount of exposure or presence.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:08 am Reply with quote
JennLegacy wrote:
RE: Overlap of anime and modern day cartoon fandoms

I think taking a step into any random anime convention artist alley would be enough to squash the idea that there is no overlap. I've seen countless artists display and sell merch of stuff like Persona, Fire Emblem, Demon Slayer, etc. side by side with merch for shows like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and heck, even Rick and Morty.

And specifically for HGS, magical girl fans are extremely receptive of shows that fit into the genre regardless of what country it's coming from. Seriously, alongside Precure and Sailor Moon, the magical girl shows I usually see the most discussions for amongst diehard fans of the genre are Winx Club, Miraculous Ladybug, and She-Ra which come from Italy, France, and the US respectively. Saying there's no audience for this show might as well be saying CR shouldn't have bothered putting in all that effort to license Precure and Pripara too.

I guess I'm not one of those people. I think shows like Steven Universe, She-Ra or High Guardian Spice are incomparable to Japanese magical girl series. For one thing Japanese magical girl shows actually have attractive characters. They also generally have better animation. They also structurally focus on different themes and styles. I love magical girl anime but I'm not a fan of any of those shows. Older stuff like Totally Spies, W.I.T.C.H. and Winx Club were fine, but then again they were also made like almost 20 years ago. Back then you could actually do things like make attractive female designs with fanservice and have other content that wouldn't fly today. I don't think it's really possible for America to do a magical girl series with their current restrictions and focus.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:14 am Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
Thank you for proving my point, you did spectacularly. I grew up on those cartoons too, and most of them are good (also diversity WAS often cited as a draw in the ATLA and WITCH fandoms even back then- and I hate to break this to you about Gargoyles- https://watermarkonline.com/2020/05/19/disneys-gargoyles-protagonist-was-gay-creator-confirms/-they wanted to do it, they just weren't allowed) but not automatically special or better than anything that comes after them. Modern American cartoons have good stories and fight scenes, but you'll never know because you've seen some LGBT fans being excited and that's a turnoff to you, and that's nobody's loss but yours. It just makes your opinion on them irrelevant because you don't have any knowledge.

I am not sure what answer you are looking for here. A lot of people do not seem to like this stuff so they do not watch it. That is all there is to say isn't there? You can tell people it is their loss and they are missing out on the best shows ever but they don't think so. It is really not that important if you accept it or not. It is what's people are doing regardless anyway. There must be some reason why X show appeals to someone while Y show does not, isn't that so?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:56 am Reply with quote
Longsock wrote:

I meant diversity in the show not the people watching it. Anime is enjoyed worldwide so of course a lot of different people watch it, but that doesn't make those people progressive. If most of the fandom was progressive I doubt the most popular anime every season would be shows like Jobless Reincarnation. Logically the answer for "why do they keep making slave isekai, big booby fanservice harems, and rape-y BL anime?" has to be "because that's what we like". And the people who like that stuff probably aren't the kinds of people you're describing.
The fact fanservice anime has a fanbase doesn't prove all anime fans are diversity hating dudebros or that they represent all of anime fandom nor are fanservice shows the most popular anime every season. The most popular anime every season is shonen anime for teenagers and kids like Demon Slayer, My Hero Academia, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Netflix hits like Beastars and Aggretsuko, none of which have any sort of explicit anti-progressive message to it. And one of the biggest anime shows of the past decade was Yuri on Ice which was highly praised for it's positive portrayal of gay relationships and has more widespread mainstream popularity than a show like Jobless Reincarnation does. Also a lot of progressive fans do watch fanservice shows too but they don't make a huge deal about them when they're criticized or get a huge persecution complex when something like HGS gets made.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:37 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don't know why people keep trying to argue anime fans wouldn't complain about High Guardian Spice if it was just on Netflix instead or whatever when I see anime fans complaining about Netflix shows all the time, especially when Netflix calls them anime or if they're CGI animated.

I don't think nobody would complain - of course someone will always complain - but CR markets itself as being a strictly anime streaming service. On Netflix you have both anime and non-anime watchers, and something like HGS would benefit more from also being able to catch those non-anime watchers. I genuinely don't think Castlevania would've done as well on CR.

Longsock wrote:

?? Doesn't that only prove the opposite? People who make American cartoons love anime (specifically Sailor Moon and Utena since that's all that they ever reference) but that doesn't mean anime fans love American cartoons. A lot of comic writers praise manga and try to latch onto its success but we know manga is destroying American comic in sales and comics aren't doing well. Most anime fans I see always talk bad about Steven Universe, HGS, and American cartoons in general especially ones that try to pretend to be anime.. The only people I really see like these cartoons are the ones who care about diversity and representation which most anime fans don't seem to be a fan of and actively say they watch anime because it doesn't focus on things like that. Anyway if there really is this huge crossover between fandoms than it wouldn't have gotten so much backlash.

While I agree that people who make cartoons/comics seem more into anime than anime watchers seem into cartoons and comics, huh??? There's loads of diversity in anime in shows that are wildly popular. The diversity in the kinds of characters, relationships, and people portayed in anime is actually a big draw for me. Magical Girl shows especially have always been diverse/progressive and pushing boundaries, it's just that these elements are actually woven into the plot/characters and don't feel tacked on.
Personally, just because I don't enjoy the way American media puts in neon lights "Look how progressive and revolutionary we are! Pat us on the back!" when they add token diversity definitely doesn't mean I don't want any diversity.

Last edited by Puniyo on Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:57 am Reply with quote
I said it a few pages back, but I think you can't really critique the context of this show (a decidedly non-anime production on an anime service) without thinking of the context in which it was commissioned, a pre-Sony buyout, hell, pre-AT&T restructuring of WarnerMedia.

When the show was originally commissioned, Warner ran all of its subsidiaries, of which Crunchyroll was one, as mostly independent entities. They had just lost the co-promotion deal with FUNi, which hampered VRV, and Netflix had already made their intentions of creating original anime and circumventing the old licensing format public. Original productions were simply the next logical step to carve out a niche in an increasingly competitive marketplace. I can't speak to the circumstances to the shows they picked, but it was clear that they saw originals as a means to compete with Netflix and FUNi.

They don't need to do that now that they're under the same umbrella as FUNimation, but they already paid for the series. They might as well air it. Who knows? It might be popular. if it is, great. If it's not, well, it was done when the goals of the company were different, so it's easy to pivot.
Nev999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:10 pm Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:
Nev999 wrote:

I am not sure what answer you are looking for here. A lot of people do not seem to like this stuff so they do not watch it. That is all there is to say isn't there? You can tell people it is their loss and they are missing out on the best shows ever but they don't think so. It is really not that important if you accept it or not. It is what's people are doing regardless anyway. There must be some reason why X show appeals to someone while Y show does not, isn't that so?

My point is only you can't say 'these shows don't have x and therefore x is better' if you haven't bothered to watch those shows. it's a pretty simple one.

Last edited by Nev999 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6