• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Redo of Healer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:28 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Revenge is never good. But if you really can't get justice, then it is all you have left.

Revenge is not logical, but rather emotional. That is why they say to dig two graves.

When evil reigns supreme in power, you are not really going to be finding good people nearby. They have either been corrupted by their society already, they have already been tortured and killed (or worse), or they are in the castle dungeon entertaining the prison guards and the rats. In the town, the good people are going to be in the poorer sections of the city, and they are definitely not going to be drawing attention to themselves.

The (openly) good people are far away, from those in power. Like the village the Healer came from.

I mean, if he wanted revenge on the ones who did bad by him, instead of going through all of this hassle and going back in time to go through the trauma again, he could have easily just let the heroes die when they were fighting the demon lord. Just bail on them and watch as they die.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Did some clean up. The discussion was going down a line of discussion that Tempest himself has said will not be tolerated. Claiming someone is "evil but principled" while they are blatantly raping people is right on that line of excusing that behavior. Tempest himself said that would not be tolerated. He made it clear glorifying or excusing that sort of conduct is not going to fly.

Quote:
[Pre-emptive warning: Anime News Network welcomes and encouraged discussion of this anime and even the social issues that it touches upon. However rape is never an acceptable punishment and we will not tolerate any posts that even remotely suggest that it is. Furthermore we will not tolerate posts that take glee in the controversy that this show is likely to cause, nor will we tolerate any posts that appear to be trollish or baiting in nature. Finally, we ask that all posters be considerate of those who may read these threads and have past traumatic experiences. Failure to abide by this will result in immediate and permanent removal from our community. -t]  
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Thought it was about time to catch up to some of these new Winter anime. Of course I started off with this one. Good choice me.

Yeah, umm... this whole revenge thing is just a smokescreen. This guy is not doing it for the revenge, he is not fooling anyone. He is an abusive sociopath who loves having power over others. When the 3rd episode was titled "Healer buys a slave" I thought "Of course he does." His interaction with Setsuna made it all the more obvious. He just couldn't hide his shit-eating grin while interacting with Setsuna. He enjoyed the power he had over her so much that he couldn't even keep his pants on. Though I guess that's what one would expect from a rapist who enjoys being one.

This show is just completely depraved. But it's not like unwatchably boring. I get mild chuckles out of insane faces the Healer dude makes. Oh yeah, I kinda dig the ending theme.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote
The thing is, you can get that same face from other anime. It's not like this is the only one pulling off the insane face thing. You also have shows like Higurashi and what have you.

And yeah, the fact people are trying to pull some artistic bs with the rape and abuse is just a laugh riot at how bad this show is.

It's more exhausting than boring, but it's still the worst show this season imo
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

I was going to say that he finally had something close to consensual, that wasn't from brainwashing or weird power imbalance, and then we see that he had drugged her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:40 am Reply with quote
Of course. You don't think Rape-kun would actually be interested in consensual sex, do you? And now he's doing evil to women who haven't done anything to him in his previous life, thus removing even the wafer thin revenge pretext. I really hope this series ends with him being slowly impaled.

I really hate that whenever he has sex... and by that, of course, I mean, raping somebody - the "camera" lingers on some object for an extended period of time. So pointless.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:05 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I really hope this series ends with him being slowly impaled.

Pretty sure we already saw that in the castle dungeon and in the tent.

Blood- wrote:
I really hate that whenever he has sex... and by that, of course, I mean, raping somebody - the "camera" lingers on some object for an extended period of time. So pointless.

I am subjecting myself to the full course and finding the uncensored episodes, I don't know if that is a difference because it shows quite a lot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:09 am Reply with quote
PERV!!!

Wink
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I chuckled when the random dude offered to buy Setsuna for 1 gold and our protag declined only because the dude wasn't offering enough money. And most of all Setsuna was impressed by that. He is such a good master since he values his disposable slave so highly.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 5

I was going to say that he finally had something close to consensual, that wasn't from brainwashing or weird power imbalance, and then we see that he had drugged her.

Seriously there is no consensual sex is Redo,the closet it gets was with Setsuna (his underage furry). Even the "main" girl- who'll show up at some point- goes through a bit of mind alteration before "consenting".
James S.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Setsuna (his underage furry)

You do realize Keyaru's 14 right? He may have made himself appear visibly older, but he's the same age as Setsuna while Flare and Kureha are both several years older.

EDIT: Not sure how to feel about how John is depicted in the latest episode. On one hand, considering current events, him being white in the anime, instead of black like in both the novel and manga, is probably the best course of action especially with all the stuff already in the show. On the other hand, I can unironically include whitewashing amongst all the negative actions and concepts that occur in the Redo anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Usually I would be up to a gender bending episode, but considering this series. I wonder in what levels this was homophobic and transphobic. He feminised his body, although as we learned kept his bits, to trick the lesbian rapist hero into going after him, and apparently take satisfaction that she lost her mind in accidentally touching his penis, enough to throw up.

Although we the audience knew that Blade was a lesbian, I think the episode itself from Blade's point of view was supposed to have it be a surprise that she was a woman, seeming as the expected reaction was to call her a terrible man, and be some level of shocking when it is shown that she has boobs. So, was it meant to be some extra level of violation that these girls that maybe thought it was a cute warrior, that drugged them, would turn out to be a woman? And I was going to assign points that maybe the nice girl at the start, before she was raped and apparently broken, might have herself been into women.

Also, didn't our supposed heroic main character pretty much drug a woman with aphrodisiacs a few episodes ago to have her sleep with him?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:23 am Reply with quote
I hate to admit it but there is something dark about my nature that actually does enjoy revenge fantasy material like this. Just goes to show that our old lizard brains are still kicking around despite our supposedly more sophisticated neo-cortexes. Don't get me wrong, I could totally do without all the effing rape shit, but seeing a baddie get their just desserts never gets old for me. Just wish the humiliation and pain was non-rapey in nature but man the ship sure done sailed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:29 am Reply with quote
I can admit to enjoying revenge stuff, and some of the things have been enjoyable to see happen. I just also want to keep in mind that the awful characters are not some sort of indicative of strawmen that could be related to real world discrimination. Kind of alone when you deal with female characters, with my understanding that women are generally at a disadvantage. When you add in an LGBT character, I fear it can be a punch down to the degree of creating gay panic.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
I generally hate revenge fantasies, and think people do that too much in their real lives (e.g. the tiny amount of information required for basically throwing a person away thanks to social media these days), but this series is one of the best comedies of the season. It's so naked in its presentation that I love it far more than a show like Slime Time, which has now turned into a higher-budget, slightly more restrained version of the same show without any of the humor value.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5