• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline: Brian K. Vaughan to Write Live-Action Gundam Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Nothing good can come of this. I am very surprised by the amount of optimism here.

People made the same pessimistic comments about Alita and now many of those same people are freaking out about the idea of the movie not getting a sequel.

A stopped clock can be wrong at least once a day.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:
At the risk of being contrarian, Warren Ellis also had the credentials of a successful comic writer and his adaption of Castlevania for Netflix was extremely inaccurate to the source material and not very good.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:

If you ignore the inaccuracies, you're still left with an oddly paced series that relies on edgy and crude dialog and seems to sideline it's main characters a lot. Its not a terrible show on it's own, but usually the point of an adaption is for people to see a work they enjoy in a new medium, and when the adaption is so far removed from the source material it begs the question of why they didn't just make it an original production instead. Ellis turned a series about holy warriors of the church fighting evil demons into an Atheist talking point about how Christianity is awful.

But here's the thing though the Netflix Castlevania was never going to be 1:1 adaptation of the original games which had weak writing to start with. So of course they were going to make changes here and there.

If the adapted the story properly it'd probably take up two episodes and be largely devoid of any meaningful character writing or motivation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4