• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll's Ellation Launches New Division for Original Animated Content

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BottyProductio1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
The art's not my cup of tea....but whatever. It's not like Crunchyroll is going to get rid of anime in favor of original programming. JFC...
Kai99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
This is a GREAT time to be a creator, especially if your aiming to create your own animated cartoons. This is really good news. So many companies are getting into the independent animation market. Now the reality of making animation similar to what comes out of Japan, but aimed at a different audience, is becoming very possible. We have an American run animation studio in Japan trying to get things started, now Crunchyroll is jumping into the fray. Use to be the idea of an non-Japanese getting to tell their story in a anime format was a fairytail. Now it more possible than ever.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I like the look of the show, curious to see how it turns out.

And yeah, some of the replies in this thread are... Yikes.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
This seems a good time to link to The Rules: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3083885.

Some posts have been deleted or edited for not following the above rules. If you have an issue with a post being deleted, you can head over to The Feedback Forum: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=50.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:
This is a GREAT time to be a creator, especially if your aiming to create your own animated cartoons. This is really good news. So many companies are getting into the independent animation market. Now the reality of making animation similar to what comes out of Japan, but aimed at a different audience, is becoming very possible. We have an American run animation studio in Japan trying to get things started, now Crunchyroll is jumping into the fray. Use to be the idea of an non-Japanese getting to tell their story in a anime format was a fairytail. Now it more possible than ever.

I absolutely appreciate and admire your optimism and aims.

Just always remember to keep your feet firmly on the ground, look directly evenly ahead, and try to gain a wider understanding of the world as your spirit soars.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I think what bugs me about this is the feeling of anime just being used as a stepping stone to Crunchyroll/VRV/Ellation/Otter going more mainstream. It feels like a slight to the existing subscribers, that our fees are not going to starving animators in Japan as promised, but to Steven Universe wannabes in Burbank. That's just not what I signed up for.

Also, we've seen this story before, when Stu Levy decided that Tokyopop's mission wasn't publishing "100% authentic" manga, but going Hollywood… and look how that turned out.

Last edited by invalidname on Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Idort

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
Kai99 wrote:

I absolutely appreciate and admire your optimism and aims.

Just always remember to keep your feet firmly on the ground, look directly evenly ahead, and try to gain a wider understanding of the world as your spirit soars.

I think one of the reasons why I dislike this so much is maybe because it's so... safe. It might as well just be a cartoon network cartoon despite it's aesthetic appearance. What I like about anime is that it's unafraid to explore darker, and often gorey concepts. Castlevania on Netflix is the exception, and for that I really like it. Even for the safer Japanese animations this looks way too boring, and safe, and only appeals to people who like the aesthetics of Japanese animation and nothing else.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don't understand why anime fans seem to think Crunchyroll can't do two things at once or why anime fans are so prone to sinister conspiracies based on zero evidence.

My favorite reaction is the people who seem to think that Crunchyroll is going to just completely stop acquiring anime, basically torpedoing their entire business model, and instead make originals.

(Speaking of which, wasn't there a recent anime based entirely on a Crunchyroll original web comic or something?)

Like, where's Zac's old "Deleting all animes" icon when you need it?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:41 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I think what bugs me about this is the feeling of anime just being used as a stepping stone to Crunchyroll/VRV/Ellation/Otter going more mainstream. It feels like a slight to the existing subscribers, that our fees are not going to starving animators in Japan as promised, but to Steven Universe wannabes in Burbank. That's just not what I signed up for.

If, and that's a very big if, Crunchy goes this route and gets rid of its anime programing, you can do what I often choose to do and just not support things with my dollar anymore. If Crunchy finds that it's losing too much by paying members pulling out of their service, they're either look for funds elsewhere or bring back what was working for them.

I can't see them getting rid of all anime content any time soon. I see this as Crunchy testing the waters. If the show does well, they'll look into making more series like this. If it doesn't, then, they'll shift their focus.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, this is the biggest over reaction I've seen on this site since KyoAni fans felt 'betrayed' when they announced Free. And from what I recall, KyoAni is doing well even after multiple entries of Free, so I think Crunchy will be fine no matter how this show turns out.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
If, and that's a very big if, Crunchy goes this route and gets rid of its anime programing, you can do what I often choose to do and just not support things with my dollar anymore.

Hey, careful, you're putting words in my mouth. I never predicted that Crunchy would turn around and stop licensing anime (unless you're reading too much into my Tokyopop analogy).

What I am worried about is neglect of their existing subscriber base as they chase new viewers. That kind of neglect wouldn't expose itself as suddenly not licensing anime. But it might start as little things, like not doing a podcast anymore (oh wait, they stopped doing that), or not going to anime conventions anymore (oh wait, they notoriously no-showed at Otakon two weeks ago), or… whatever comes next, I fear.
Idort

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don't understand why anime fans seem to think Crunchyroll can't do two things at once or why anime fans are so prone to sinister conspiracies based on zero evidence.

My favorite reaction is the people who seem to think that Crunchyroll is going to just completely stop acquiring anime, basically torpedoing their entire business model, and instead make originals.

(Speaking of which, wasn't there a recent anime based entirely on a Crunchyroll original web comic or something?)

Like, where's Zac's old "Deleting all animes" icon when you need it?

Another thing that someone pointed out to me is that for people who subscribe to crunchyroll specifically for japanese animation, most of them are going to actually be very pissed. Because crunchyroll says they support anime and yet they're not using their money to support actual anime. They're taking it and spending it on western cartoon animators with mild anime influence. And before someone comes and says that it's "anime", not even crunchyroll is calling High Garden Spice an anime.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I am kind of impressed at how Crunchyroll boasting about having an all female writing team was promoted in the press release as an accomplishment. If Crunchyroll was boasting about having an all male writing team my guess is that there would have been a public apology within an hour. It isn't like having an all female studio made Urahara into a great anime so it is baffling that Crunchyroll keeps promoting their original shows in this manner.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
The issue is that their first huge Crunchyroll project that they are spending a ton of money on has nothing to do with anime, the show looks like an American kids show you would find on Cartoon Network, and they are going to announce even more original shows in the next several weeks. From what I have seen most people are not happy with this announcement and the reaction was so negative on Youtube that they turned off both the comments and the ratings. I have to wonder why they didn't put High Guardian Spice on VRV since it makes sense that the people who want to watch anime specifically subscribe to an anime streaming service because they want to watch anime.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Idort wrote:
I think one of the reasons why I dislike this so much is maybe because it's so... safe. It might as well just be a cartoon network cartoon despite it's aesthetic appearance. What I like about anime is that it's unafraid to explore darker, and often gorey concepts. Castlevania on Netflix is the exception, and for that I really like it. Even for the safer Japanese animations this looks way too boring, and safe, and only appeals to people who like the aesthetics of Japanese animation and nothing else.

I can really relate. For Crunchyroll, they don't have to do anything totally bombastic and out there, but they could do an anime proper, really. They could have done a bit on their mascot, there's a concept that could have been done well. I hope they also took some notes from Louie the Rune Soldier because that was a fantasy comedy series I thought pulled it off well.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Idort wrote:

Another thing that someone pointed out to me is that for people who subscribe to crunchyroll specifically for japanese animation, most of them are going to actually be very pissed. Because crunchyroll says they support anime and yet they're not using their money to support actual anime. They're taking it and spending it on western cartoon animators with mild anime influence. And before someone comes and says that it's "anime", not even crunchyroll is calling High Garden Spice an anime.

Yeah that would be a pretty big deal if that's at all how royalties and licensing fees worked. But as-is, Crunchyroll has shown 0 signs that they're going to stop acquiring, subtitling, and streaming anime - hell they've already announced something like 10 titles for the upcoming Fall season before anyone else has.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7