• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Sword Art Online Producer: Series Sold to Netflix, Will Have Asian Lead Actors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:57 am Reply with quote
If they wanted an entire Asian cast for the live action adaptation and for it to be as close to the source material as possible then it should have been made in Japan. Rolling Eyes
Paulo27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:00 am Reply with quote
But SAO was a game made by Japanese for the Japanese market... maybe you can throw in some foreigners but they'd have had to travel to Japan to buy the game.
Zomb1e13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:38 am Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
But SAO was a game made by Japanese for the Japanese market... maybe you can throw in some foreigners but they'd have had to travel to Japan to buy the game.

Well some of the foreigners could be living in japan and also you don't have to travel to japan to buy japanese games. You can buy them easily online.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote
Zomb1e13 wrote:
Paulo27 wrote:

Well some of the foreigners could be living in japan and also you don't have to travel to japan to buy japanese games. You can buy them easily online.
Pretty sure SAO was something you lined up in front of stores for.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
CurseTheSky wrote:
and absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that the lead actor is Caucasian.

LOOK at him though Rolling Eyes Would you cast this punk as Goku? Does he LOOK like Goku?

I challenge you to name one living, breathing human being on Earth who looks like Goku!
Zomb1e13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
Pretty sure SAO was something you lined up in front of stores for.

Sorry it's been so long since I watch SAO I forgot everyone got trapped on launch day so if you wanted to play on launch day you had to pick it up at the store.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quote
Asian Lead Actors in a Hollywood adaptation of a Japanese animation !!

Well, is about time! Is a small step in the right direction. I hope they also keep true to the original plot and don't mess up like always.

Maybe there still hope for Hollywood. Is about time Hollywood people get out of their little Hollywood planet and start to understand what real people in the real world want.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
It's really sad that the Hollywood adaptation to get it right with casting had to be "Sword Art Online." Hopefully, due to cultural boundaries, things like the cousin incest subplot, Asuna's damselization, and the sexual assault scenes get altered.

Yeah, those elements were just so damn weird and awkward. Kawahara isn't a great writer, but even for him those were really bad. In fact, they're really just better off skipping that arc.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
It's really sad that the Hollywood adaptation to get it right with casting had to be "Sword Art Online." Hopefully, due to cultural boundaries, things like the cousin incest subplot, Asuna's damselization, and the sexual assault scenes get altered.

Yeah, those elements were just so damn weird and awkward. Kawahara isn't a great writer, but even for him those were really bad. In fact, they're really just better off skipping that arc.

Honestly, "Accel World" was better. It may not be perfect, but at least Haru is an intentionally flawed character, unlike Kirito. That's another thing I hope they fix: making Kirito less of a Gary Stu.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Honestly, "Accel World" was better. It may not be perfect, but at least Haru is an intentionally flawed character, unlike Kirito. That's another thing I hope they fix: making Kirito less of a Gary Stu.

That would be nice, maybe having him struggle for awhile or make some bad decisions until he gets it through his thick skull that flying solo has its limits. There is a good story somewhere in SAO, but it needs some serious rewrites. The whole series is like looking at a first draft, filled with weird tangents, clumsy story points, and wonky structure.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
This whole thing is pandering to a vocal minority who will never be pleased no matter what you do.

I don't care either way, it's a losing battle: either you cast well-known Asian actors and people complain they're the wrong kind of Asian, or they end up casting 'accurate' no-name actors that will hurt its success among the normies.

And why weren't these 'It's not about race, it's about source material accuracy!" people complaining about L and Watari not being white? lol

Either way it's better than it's in Netflix's hands anyway- while I'm sure this lady had the best of intentions, she hasn't watched much of the series at all if she thinks Klein isn't Japanese (Agil is African, apparently).

Last edited by Puniyo on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm okay with the concept that Kirito and Azuna being asian, and Agil black. As it should be. But Silica, Liz, Klein, and the others, I got the impression it's race dartboards for them. Though I wonder how the "World-wide" aspect will play out since everyone that's in SAO was in the Tokyo area. So if Netflix decides (for an example) making Liz Norwegian, Silica Spanish, and Klein American, it's going to play havoc with the plot after the Aincrad Arc. So it doesn't inspire confidence that this will turn out good. Especially if they do not address the "flaws" of the series.

Also, it being Netflix, makes me wonder how this will adult the ratings will end up. Especially if they keep certain scenes regarding Asuna. You know the ones. Razz
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Exactly. People who say "the race of the actor doesn't matter, as long as they act well" seem to think that Hollywood is a fare meritocracy. They miss one of the main complaints people have about whitewashing: that actors are rejected because of their race all the time, despite being good actors! Blind casting is unfortunately rare, and most casting directors are looking for white actors and only white actors. If you actually look at what Asian-American and other minority actors have said about their experiences being dismissed and rejected *because* of how they look, you'll come to realize that the problem *isn't* that there are not enough good, talented Asian-American actors, the problem is that they're not offered opportunities for roles.

Now, in this show's case, I got the impression that they might be interested in a truly international cast to expand the scope of the story, which would be awesome. But even if they're planning to only use Americans/Native English speakers for the roles, there's nothing wrong with the screenwriter saying: "these characters were Japanese in the original novel, so Japanese (or Japanese-American) actors should play them in the show". I'm surprised such a simple, basic idea is getting so much pushback. You'd think a black actress was cast to play Hermione in a Harry Potter play every day, the way people think that the best actors always get the good parts (TL;DR Blind casting is good. Specifying minority actors for roles may not be as good, but it's better than the standard "rejecting minority actors and only casting white actors by default").

The issue is less casting the best actor for the role and more marketing. A white lead is a safer bet in a predominately white country, as one would expect. It goes both way as well, where a minority actor will also be cast for marketing. Cast the best actor you can, but within the look of the original character. Casting a white guy as Goku is just as silly as casting a black guy as Sherlock Holmes, or a Latino as Black Panther.

-Stuart Smith
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
If they wanted an entire Asian cast for the live action adaptation and for it to be as close to the source material as possible then it should have been made in Japan. Rolling Eyes

I think what she meant was that they're targeting Asian-American actors like Ryan Potter or Ryan Higa. Imagine, nigahiga as Kirito, Will as Klein, Greg as Agil, Derek as Sugou, Arden as Asuna, Erika as Lisbeth and the rest off RHPC.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
If they're keeping Kirito and Asuna Asian, I'm curious if they'll keep the reasoning behind their usernames intact as well, since Kirito combined his last and first name (Kirigaya Kazuto) to come up with Kirito, and Asuna used her real name because she'd never really played an online game before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8