• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Anime Often Feature Ear Cleaning?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amcnulty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I'll be the person that says it, I haven't seen a single anime where earwax cleaning is shown, so not sure where the "so many anime" comes from. I've seen a goodly number of anime over the years too. Anyone care to make a short list?

TV Tropes has one, although I swear I've seen it in even more anime than this. Shocked

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EarCleaning
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked to see so many nightmare stories about Q-Tips. You know you're not supposed to ram it into your ear as hard and as far as possible right? I don't think they say that on the box but if you start feeling pain then you've definitely gone way way way too far.
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching anime as far back as 1975, and collecting it since 1985, and I can't for the life of me recall ever seeing a single ear-cleaning scene in a single series or movie. Clearly I'm watching the wrong anime.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Hand orientation managed to skip two generations in my family, though it can be hard to tell because during my grandparents' time, left-handed people were forced to write with their right hands, so there may have been lefties who were conditioned out of it.

Off-topic, but as a lefty, it really angers me that that used to happen in so many cultures. Better that than death though. That way they are just killing off, statistically, a good number of potentially very creative and intelligent people in their society. Crying or Very sad
gsilver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm way overdue to get my ear irrigated. Thanks for the reminder.

Painful and dry. And I think the ear wax contributes to my tinnitus. I had one blissful afternoon of silence one time after getting the earwax removed by a doctor.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
Leave it Answerman entry to have over 50 posts (this is #51) about anime ear cleaning. However, MyAnimeList, Crunchyroll, or a Reddit page could also bring a lot of discussion on this topic.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
My grandfather, a collector of odd things I'm told, had a set of ear cleaning tools including the Japanese spoon device which was made of stainless steel. I'm 1/16 Native American ( Choctaw ) and have had a long & painful history of hard dry earwax. Nice to know that it is probably genetic.

Mark Gosdin

I doubt 1/16 would play a role, considering it's seems to be fifty-fifty for Indians (both) concerning earwax type.

championferret wrote:
I'm white but my earwax has always been flaky/white/dry. I honestly thought that was the normal mode earwax is in, until I saw my dad's gross Q-tips he'd used to clean his own ears (he didn't get the memo either I guess) covered in horrid yellowy goo. I actually asked him if he had an infection, and he was genuinely surprised when I told him that mine isn't like that. Then I found out everyone in my family also had the type like my dad's and only I was different.

I had no idea it was a geographical thing until I was in Daiso the other day and saw some ear cleaning tools and one was 'for japanese earwax' and another 'for american and european earwax'. Thought I was seeing some weird lost in translation thing for a bit.

If its genetic, I'm not sure where mine came from...

Maybe the one or two percent of those with dry-type earwax? If you're of Eastern European ancestry, it could be more prevalent. Indeed, Eurasian people like certain groups of Russians and Ashkenazi Jews are also more likely to have that birth mark above their ass during childhood.

It seems to have something to do with climate, too.
xinju

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
My ears have been cleaned with ear picks for nearly all my life - ear picks and ear cleaning are a Chinese thing too! Often my parents cleaned my ears when I was young and it was a spend-time-together and intimacy thing, since my parents were home in the first place to clean my ears and you have to be careful when doing so. I liked getting my ears cleaned when I was younger because my ears were sensitive and it tickled as a kid (and also it sometimes felt better when someone else cleaned my ears, similar to how being tickled and tickling yourself feels different), and I eventually learned to clean my family's ears (it's oddly fascinating to pull out all the ear wax and it feels like a treasure hunt) and to clean my own. Now I prefer to clean my own ears; being able to do it myself is more convenient, and I just clean my ears whenever they're itchy. (It's a more satisfying itch than using your finger because fingers are too fat.)

leafy sea dragon wrote:
For people in Japan who live by themselves, or they live with no one whom they can trust to remove earwax without harm, what do they do? Do they do what Justin does and see a doctor every now and then for it?

Do what I did - learn to clean your ears yourself. Of course you have to be careful because ear picks are more solid than Q-tips and the ear gets increasingly sensitive the closer you are to the eardrum. Or do what many people do and just leave it be. I don't think I could ever not clean my ears since I know how to and have had the gratification of cleaning my ears; it's like having a spot on your back you can't itch but know you can do so with a back scratcher.

Sorry for the long first post (created an account to reply to this), but ear cleaning really is a satisfying thing for me to do haha. Thanks for all your great Answerman posts, Justin!
miken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
ear cleaning?? that's really a thing? i don't remember ever seeing that. on the other hand, i'm not watching much romcom stuff at all...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
amcnulty wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I'll be the person that says it, I haven't seen a single anime where earwax cleaning is shown, so not sure where the "so many anime" comes from. I've seen a goodly number of anime over the years too. Anyone care to make a short list?
TV Tropes has one, although I swear I've seen it in even more anime than this. Shocked http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EarCleaning
Thanks! The list explains everything as I haven't seen any of the listed shows and generally don't read manga.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I used to use the Q-tip method, but I managed to drive myself half deaf no less than twice; the first time was so bad I had to go to the emergency room(after the extraction, the plugs of wax both had clear marks of where the Q-tips had compacted them). I've since switched to these plastic curly things that do a great job, but I've also stopped doing any ear cleaning unless one of them get aggravated(in which case the other almost invariably has next to no wax).

For the sake of the curious, my earwax is very gooey, to the point where it takes a bit of effort to get it out of the extractor.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Hand orientation managed to skip two generations in my family, though it can be hard to tell because during my grandparents' time, left-handed people were forced to write with their right hands, so there may have been lefties who were conditioned out of it.

Off-topic, but as a lefty, it really angers me that that used to happen in so many cultures. Better that than death though. That way they are just killing off, statistically, a good number of potentially very creative and intelligent people in their society. Crying or Very sad
In many cultures the left hand was used for the bathroom, while you ate food with the right hand. Given that eating is often a communal thing. I can KINDA see why this might happen in cultures where sanitation is less then ideal.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Forcing lefties to be right-handed is something that's happened in all societies, even when ass-wiping isn't an issue. Eg, in medieval Europe it was considered bad luck and an ill omen.

That said, beyond cultural inertia, there is one good reason for it: left-handedness is something of a health risk where there's a whole world of things just waiting to maim you and all the handles are made for the right hand.
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Forcing lefties to be right-handed is something that's happened in all societies, even when ass-wiping isn't an issue. Eg, in medieval Europe it was considered bad luck and an ill omen.

That said, beyond cultural inertia, there is one good reason for it: left-handedness is something of a health risk where there's a whole world of things just waiting to maim you and all the handles are made for the right hand.
To be fair once adequate sanitation enters cultures with the as wiping issues cultural inertia IS all it is. It is only an adequate reason to do such a thing BEFORE adequate sanitation is introduced NOT after.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4